Old 03-20-2004, 11:35 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Anyone playing World of Warcraft?

Well, the NDA has officially lifted and the Beta for the game has started. I thought I'd start a thread and see if anyone was playing and what you think of the game. I've been in the alpha since the first push, though I don't have the time to really play these things like I used to when I was young. That said, I think the game is just great. Unbelievable graphics and probably the tightest code I've ever seen in an alpha.

So, anyone want to discuss the game, ask any questions, whatever...here's the thread for it. I never really go much to the alpha/beta forums...I find the 12 y/o kids in there annoying.

-XT
Old 03-21-2004, 10:19 AM
Charter Member
I've heard good things about it.
Can you give a brief summary how it works as compared to other MMORPGs?
(especially Everquest, since that is what I'm most familiar with)

thanks,

Brian
Old 03-21-2004, 11:21 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Sure. As far as how it compares to EQ, I think this game is a lot more fun to play (even in its alpha stage). Basically the game revolves around quests. Quests are intergral to the game, not just an add on bolted on. The level grind, at least to 30 (which is the current limit) is much easier. I have to admit, it was pretty rare that I was out camping mobs just to kill to make level. Mostly you simply do the quests, which are the major form of exps in the game, and this gives you some fairly cool items too. Also, you get to see what items you are going for in each quests before you do them...and in many cases you get a choice of items when you complete the quest.

The trade skills are also a pleasure to play. Again, its not a grind like in EQ or DaoC....its actually similar to the old UO tradeskills. For mining, you basically have a "find minerals' key which will pop up an aproximate location on a mini-map of a resource (copper, tin, iron, silver, gold, etc in this case). When you get to a resource, you simply mine it (if you have a pick and mining skill...something you have to buy in the case of the pick, and something you have to train in at a mining trainer in the later). After you have the raw material, you can take it to a forge and turn it into bars which can be used in other tradeskills (like Engineering, Weapons Crafting, Armor Crafting, etc) or sell it to players with those skills. There are all kinds of trade skills from Fishing to Herbalism and Alchemy, to Enchanting. And they are a blast to play. The Engineering for example lets you make everything from shot for the guns (some of the classes can use old fashioned blunderbuss type muskets) to TnT and other explosives, to googles that allow you to do all kinds of stuff.

The game is really easy to play...there really isn't a large learning curve, if you've played similar games before. The graphics are simply stunning. One of the coolest things is the transport between cities. Imagine flying over rugged mountains or valleys on top of a gryphon...in real time so that you can look down and see other players running about or fighting as you fly by. The cities, the terrain....its all just unreal. You can swim underwater and visit a ship wreck for instance.

Finally, one of the really cool things is that the user interface (UI) is completely customizable (if you are a programmer type). There are several stock UI's currently available (I use the EverythingScript currently as I have no time or desire to program) which allow you to automate almost any feature in the game. The script I use lets me autoloot mobs, automatically search for herbs, autobuff my characters that have buffs, and integrate quests with other players in my party. Also when I refine ore (on my mining character) or make several potions (on my alchemist) it allows me to simply set the number of whatever I want to make and then makes them automatically, as opposed to me having to click say 20 times to refine 20 copper ore into 20 bars of copper or make 20 heal potions.

This is really just a thumbnail sketch of the game in its current state. Lets see, the current races are Orc, Human, Tauren (a large minataur type creature), Gnome, Dwarf, Night Elf, and Undead. The current classes are Paladin, Warrior, Shaman, Priest, Rogue, Mage and Warlock. All the races have some cool homelands (except the Gnome which shares with the Dwarf) and all are really cool looking. All the races are a blast to play...I'm anticipating the addition of the Hunter soon which also looks cool. In addition, as the Beta goes along they are going to add Realm vs Realm fighting between the Horde and the Alliance, I assume somewhat like DaoC.

If anyone has any other questions or comments let me know.

-XT
Old 03-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Two of my housemates work for Blizzard, so once my finals are over and I have time to play, I'm gettin' hooked up.

I have watched them play the alpha, and it does indeed look pretty awesome. Then again, I haven't played a MMORPG since the very early days of EverQuest, before any expansions, when my brother let me play on his account.

My main concern is that, given the lag, hacking, and connection problems battle.net as a whole has had, I'm not so sure Blizzard isn't biting off more than it can chew, taking on a MMORPG. Well, that and I was hoping they were gonna make a MMORPG in the Diablo series, since the end of Lord of Destruction left the storyline wide open for one, but th'ain't no way they can support two at once.
Old 03-21-2004, 06:06 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Well, it doesn't really use Battlenet at all, so I doubt there will be as many hacking issues. Remember that Battlenet was used for standalone games that could also be played accross the Internet (i.e. Like Diablo)...this is a MMORPG with no stand alone at all. Much more difficult to hack. As to the lag...I have to admit I haven't seen any at all. But then I have a cable modem connection. So far the game has played great for me even in its alpha incarnation (and now beta) with no real lag and a very stable platform.

I too would have loved them to make an MMORPG based on Diablo/Diablo II...but I have to admit the world they did make is awesome. I just wish I had more time to play it.

-XT
Old 03-21-2004, 07:43 PM
So WoW is going to have its own dedicated hardware system? That's good. Lately, Diablo II has been almost unplayable because of all the lag on B-Net (I'm talking framerates around 6-9, and almost constant 300+ pings), and I've been saying that Blizzard had better do something to fix that if they expect me to buy WoW. Even so, I've really been looking forward to WoW.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:23 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
From what I understand, talking to the Blizzard guys in the alpha, its got its own dedicated hardware and comm lines separate from Battlenet. I've seen no lag so far, and there have been up to a thousand on at a time. In addition, this thousand is all in the same area, as in the alpha they decided to do one race at a time, initially at least. So, EVERYONE in the alpha was a dwarf say, or a human, etc for a few weeks. Then they would bring in a new race/class to test. So we were all pretty much on top of each other. I've noticed that in the beta you don't have the same mass of folks all competing in the same areas of the world. When the game ships retail it will be even better IMO. The code in the alpha is the best I've ever seen. I've played all the major MMORPGs out there, and was in either the alpha or beta of most of them...and this game really is a cut above IMO.

-XT
Old 03-21-2004, 08:45 PM
Charter Member
Can you detail some sample quests?
How is PvP done?

Brian
(mostly just curious, not likely to play)
Old 03-21-2004, 09:04 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
There isn't any PvP in the game yet. I assume it will be something like the RvR in DaoC, but they haven't really talked about it much yet. It will probably go in some time towards the end of Beta if I were to guess.

The quests...well, there are all kinds. There are carry quests, and go meet someone quests, as well as kill this monster or this leader, etc. Lots of explore type quests (explore this mine and find out X). There are some fairly intricate quests in the game and they all play into the story line. Obviously as you get up in level the quests get more specific to the story (if you played the Warcraft games you kind of know the story already) and more difficult, requiring groups of people to actually do them. So far the hardest quest I've been on required maybe 4 people to do them in a group. But they have a current level cap of 30 in the game.

These kinds of games aren't for everyone, no doubt. My dad (who's SDMB account this is...I'm borrowing it) hates them and can't figure out why I play them. But I love the interaction of so many people from all over the world, as well as the shear scope of the games.

-XT
Old 03-22-2004, 12:13 AM
I'm playing. I was not in the Alpha, and just got into the Beta this weekend. It's... very cool. On the one hand, I do need to admit that it's simply another leveling treadmill. Then again, it's a really fun, engaging, easy-to-play and great-looking leveling treadmill.

Fighting is (fairly) easy, tradeskills are easy to find and use, and there are a very large number of options -- enough so that, once past the first few levels, you'll start seeing very different characters.

Unlike Diablo II, where there were/are a small number of "best" character builds, I think that WoW offers a wide variety of viable options.

I've spent most of my time (about 12 hours so far) on a Night Elf rogue (stealing Dangerosa's name for a character again). Just got to Lvl 10, so as soon as I get back to a trainer I'll be learning to dual-wield daggers. I've also picked up four tradeskills: First Aid (lets me turn scraps of linen into bandages), Herbalism (find and retrieve herbs), Alchemy (turn herbs into potions) and Enchanting (turn herbs into temporary or permanent item bonuses).

You can also learn to skin creatures and work leather, to make food, to mine, to smith weapons and armor... it's pretty amazing. I get the feeling that players are going to be large parts of the economy.

I am looking forward to the scriptability as well.... although, as I said in another post, I am planning to play City of Heroes and will not have time for two games. So I probably will lay WoW aside (although with regret), at least for a while.
Old 03-22-2004, 12:51 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Well, glad to see someone here is on board, Brainiac4. If you haven't done so yet, I highly recommend getting the EverythingScript v1.3 and downloading it. Its great for tradeskills and to do repetative tasks.

I also have a rogue (Dyth)...I think they are one of the most fun classes in the game so far. I love sneaking around and then backstabbing mobs...especially after I pick their pockets first. I've only gotten mine up to 18th...I'm trying to play all the different classes to help them test and to discover what is the most fun to play. I'm also looking forward to when the hunter and druid come out...probably in the next couple of weeks.

I think you'll really enjoy the game as you go up in levels. I don't know anything about City of Hero's...is it a new MMORPG thats out or coming out soon?

-XT
Old 03-22-2004, 02:04 AM
I wish I was in the beta...
Anyways, are trolls unlocked in the beta? They are the race I plan on playing most... So any info on them would be appreciated.

Also xtisme: Would you say WoW will be better than its competitors? (DAoC, EQ, etc.) If so/not, what elements of each are better?
Old 03-22-2004, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xtisme
and downloading it. Its great for tradeskills and to do repetative tasks.
-XT
From whence might I download this script of which you speak? Make with the URL, please.

Quote:
I don't know anything about City of Hero's...is it a new MMORPG thats out or coming out soon?
-XT
Yep. You get to play a superhero. Looks excellent -- graphics quality on par with or better than WoW, if you can believe it. cityofheroes.com
Old 03-22-2004, 09:06 AM
What's the downtime situation like? Do you have to spend 20 minutes sitting around healing after a fight like EQ?

Also, how's the solo play? Does it force you to group at higher levels (again, like EQ)?

And my biggest question, how do I get them to let me into the beta!
Old 03-22-2004, 02:45 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Not sure whats up with the board today. Keeps trying to get me to register or something. My dad is out of town though so it will be up to him to do that, whatever it is. Hopefully this post will go in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac4
From whence might I download this script of which you speak? Make with the URL, please.
Well, not sure if the URL will work right for you as you have to log into the beta web site to get to it. But here it is. If you can't get to it directly from the link, just log into worldofwarcraft.com, put in your user name and password (from the game), click on World of Warcraft Forums, and select the Interface Customization forum. What you are looking for is the EScript v1.3 (everything script) with the Quest Share add on. If nothing else, as a rogue, turn /autoloot on...it makes a world of difference when picking the pockets of some hapless mob to have the loot automatically taken out, freeing you up for that playful backstab right afterward.

If you haven't done anything with the UI's yet, you need to create a folder called interface in your WoW directory and basically unzip the file there. If you have any problems let me know...I'll be here (if this account is still active on SDMB).

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerDog
What's the downtime situation like? Do you have to spend 20 minutes sitting around healing after a fight like EQ?
There is almost no down time in the game, BeerDog. Basically for health you eat food to recover it...thats why cooking can be such a great thing. There are various foods that give variable levels of restored health. The early foods can do (for example) 98 hps of recovery over 20 seconds. Better foods up that number (I've seen foods up to 1000 hp over 20 sec so far). And you don't HAVE to be a cook to get it...you can buy food too and even find it on mobs. Same goes for mana...you drink different things (from ale, beer, to ice cold milk ) that recovers it similarly. And you can make this stuff as well. Finally, there are spells and then there is alchemy...potions and stuff. I usually only use potions in combat myself, as you have a 'cool down' period after using one of 4 min. But they are great for Warriors and rogues (and really anyone else) to use as during a battle to keep you going.

Quote:
Also, how's the solo play? Does it force you to group at higher levels (again, like EQ)?
Well, I can't speak to anything above level 30, as that hasn't been enabled yet, but you don't have to group if you don't want too. However, it will be slower going if you do it this way. Also, unlike EQ or DaoC this game doesn't seem to be quite the time sink that they are. As it revolves around quests, you can basically log in and work on a quest, maybe complete it, maybe not, and then log back out. Higher level people (say in a guild or friends of yours) can help you to complete quests also. In fact, a friend of mine just got into beta and I've been running around with my level 18 rogue helping him do his quests. He shot up to level 13 already, just since beta...and its taken him maybe 5 hours total.

Quote:
And my biggest question, how do I get them to let me into the beta!
As to that, I don't know. Your first step (unless you know someone from Blizzard of course) is to contact them and say you want to do the beta. It might be too late by now, but if not, I know for a fact they are planning on expanding the beta as it goes along, adding more folks to stress test the hardware. You could probably find somewhere to send an email too on their website.

If you are an EQ fan (or DaoC) then I think this is definitely a game to give a shot too. They have taken a lot of the drudgery of leveling treadmills out of the game, as well as put in a bunch of neat features (like the mapping and mini-maps, as well as automated UI's that are customizable)...and the graphics are first rate (though in the Warcraft style...definitely different).

-XT
Old 03-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the info!

I put in an application for the beta test when they first started taking them, I guess they just didn't want me... sniff.

Hopefully I will get picked later in the beta cycle, I would really like to give this game a try!

Have they given a release date for the game yet or is it still up in the air? Seeing as most of these types of games are pushed out way too early, I wouldn't mind them giving it a good long time in beta before they go live. Especially if they let me into the aforementioned super long beta!

P.S They just added the code for the paid subsriptions for the board this morning, that's why it's asking you to register when you post. There is a grace period until April so your Dad has plenty of time to get registered.

- Pierre Elliott Trudeau
Old 03-22-2004, 03:08 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Missed this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyt_fx
I wish I was in the beta...
Anyways, are trolls unlocked in the beta? They are the race I plan on playing most... So any info on them would be appreciated.
Yes, trolls were unlocked at the sametime as Taurens were in the Alpha. They are currently not in the Beta, but thats just because they are doing Alliance/Horde separately atm. They will be re-unlocked (with Taurens, Orcs and Undead) in the coming months from what I understand. WHich is cool because I have a really cool Tauren Warrior which is a blast to play. I was a bit cold on the Undead, but the Orcs and Trolls are really cool looking too.

Quote:
Also xtisme: Would you say WoW will be better than its competitors? (DAoC, EQ, etc.) If so/not, what elements of each are better?
Well, I've played nearly every MMORPG thats shipped to date. I was also in the UO alpha/beta, EQ beta I II and III, AC beta and DaoC beta II and III. This game by far outstrips any of them from an alpha/beta perspective. Its much more fleshed out already, much tighter code, a lot more stable and there simply aren't any lag issues (so far).

As for if its 'better'...well, thats really subjective. I find it a hell of a lot more fun from a playability perspective than EQ was, especially in the early levels. Its a lot less of a grind, as I really am interested in doing the quests. Hell, a lot of times I don't even notice my bar moving and I level and it comes as a complete surprise. Same goes with DaoC. Don't get me wrong, I loved both games, and still have an inactive DaoC account that I periodically re-activate to play some RvR with my old guild (RvR is where its at in DaoC). I think that WoW has all the best elements of UO without any of the drawbacks...its a really free and open system. It has all the best elements of AC also (another game I really liked but one that didn't really take off) without any of the downsides. And it has all the best elements of DaoC and EQ too. It builds on all of them, but is unique in itself.

Take death for instance. When you die in EQ or AC you lose exps...AND you lose items too if you don't return to your body. In DaoC you lose exps, and a lot of them. In UO you lose items, mostly perminently as some dread lord either wacked you or will loot you if they find your body. In WoW though you have a choice. You can take an exp hit by being resurrected by a spirt master (located at a bind stone) OR you can travel back to your body as a ghost and resurrect there directly...with no loss at all. So, its your choice to take an exp hit or not. I think this is WAY cool...hell, I love it! Best system I've seen so far. And there are lots of little things like that in the game that just make it...well, fun.

-XT
Old 03-22-2004, 03:22 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Quote:
Hopefully I will get picked later in the beta cycle, I would really like to give this game a try!
If you have already put your name in, you are practically assured of getting in at some point. As I said, I have friends at Blizzard and they tell me that nearly all the beta people on the list will be asked at some point. They want to make sure everything is tested out before they ship it off. Its how Blizzard works...one of the finest games makers out there IMO.

Quote:
Have they given a release date for the game yet or is it still up in the air? Seeing as most of these types of games are pushed out way too early, I wouldn't mind them giving it a good long time in beta before they go live. Especially if they let me into the aforementioned super long beta!
No release date yet. I'd say they are probably going to go for a release sometime in late fall or early winter if things move on like they have been. Blizzard really tests stuff out though...if you've ever played one of their games you know how they are about shipping products that are really tight. That said though, this game IS really tight now. They could have seriously shipped it in alpha and it would have been better than most of the other MMORPGs were when they shipped...hell, it would have been better than some of them a few months after they shipped. But they are really taking the time to do it right, and I expect this product to shine when it goes out the door.

Quote:
P.S They just added the code for the paid subsriptions for the board this morning, that's why it's asking you to register when you post. There is a grace period until April so your Dad has plenty of time to get registered.
Thanks, I'll let him know...he's out of the country on business atm so can't really get on himself. He loves this board, though he stays pretty much in GD. I use it to lurk in CS as this is the most interesting part for me. This is really only the second time I've actually posted anything under his name. I think that I'll get myself an ID though to avoid confusion (as I'm a Jr my dad and I have the same name).

-XT
Old 03-22-2004, 03:22 PM
This is the first MMORPG I've been remotely interested in. Why? Because it's Blizzard, of course, and everything they touch turns to kickass.

Hopefully I'll get into the Beta; hopefully it'll run smoothly over dialup.

Daniel
Old 03-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
With a quest-based system, what do you do after you've finished all of the quests? just run around and kill random monsters, or will they be adding new quests continuously?
Old 03-22-2004, 07:16 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
With a quest-based system, what do you do after you've finished all of the quests? just run around and kill random monsters, or will they be adding new quests continuously?
There are continuous quests. I've never run out of them, and you can always move to a different area and get new quests (for instance move from the dwarf area to the human area). My one problem so far has been that sometimes the quests are too hard for your level. But the solution is to simply move to another area thats easier (like I said, if you are in dwarves area move to human area). BTW, quests are VERY easy to get...all you do is look for an NPC with a big yellow exclaimation point over his head. Same with if you have to go see an NPC as part of a quest...look for the guy with a big yellow question mark over their head. Its really that easy. And the quest log is pretty good...really helps you. The maps are really good too, with a map accessible for the entire area you are in, as well as a mini map (that has zoom feature) thats up all the time.

-XT
Old 03-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Quote:
(stealing Dangerosa's name for a character again).
He always does that. At least in Diablo I was a beautiful kick ass Amazon. Now I'm a funny looking Night Elf with floppy ears. If he wants to get lucky, he should pick better looking characters to name after me.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:14 PM
I heard rumor of open beta in the future.

Any truth behind it?
Old 03-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerosa
He always does that. At least in Diablo I was a beautiful kick ass Amazon. Now I'm a funny looking Night Elf with floppy ears. If he wants to get lucky, he should pick better looking characters to name after me.
I should point out that I did spend some time on the character selection screen making sure I had the hottest configuration I could. And I find the ears to be exotic.

Old 03-22-2004, 11:52 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Quote:
I heard rumor of open beta in the future.

Any truth behind it?
All I've heard for sure is that with each push they will be adding more people to the beta. Also that they plan on pretty much inviting all those who applied into the beta at some point. Other than that, its all just rumor and speculation. Personally I think they might allow an open beta towards the end.

I also heard a rumor that they are shooting for October as a timeframe for going gold with this thing. But as with everything else, its just a rumor. My friends at Blizzard won't tell me any of the good stuff.

-XT
Old 03-23-2004, 02:47 AM
I've been playing for a few weeks, since they started the human/dwarf/etc push. It's pretty cool, but I can't say whether or not I'd buy it when it comes out. For one thing, I haven't been able to try any of the Horde races yet, and for another I haven't yet been able to play with any of my friends.

So far, it seems to me more like "World of Diablo II." The gameplay's a lot more oriented towards quick action, frequent battles, simple quests, and character building, than towards strategy and tactics like an RTS. I've played as 4 different classes (warrior, rogue, warlock, and priest) and like Diablo, each class has its own playstyle that's fairly unique.

The good:
-- The game is pretty damn solid, especially considering the beta's just started. As xtisme mentioned, other MMORPGs have shipped in this state.
-- They've obviously done a lot of playtesting and balancing to minimize the downtime and other annoyances in MMORPGs. Your health & mana constantly regenerate, you can usually solo against 3 or 4 monsters around your level before having to rest up, and even then you can usually get back up to full in less than 30 seconds.
-- Even though the gameplay is fairly simple (talk to someone, kill stuff, repeat), it has yet to get tedious for me. But of course, I loved Diablo II, and that's even simpler.
-- You can solo! The "designers" of a lot of MMORPGs set the games up so that you have to get into a party to do anything, as if it's their duty to force you to be social. In WOW, you benefit from joining a party in that it's much faster, but there's no penalty for going solo.
-- Death penalty is exactly how it should be done.
-- It's beautiful, and what's better has a real art style and imagination instead of just being a bland rehash of tired old fantasy stereotypes (EverQuest, I'm looking at you).

The bad:
-- There are tons and tons of quests, but they're simple and pretty much the same thing over and over again -- kill 9 of this, get 3 of these, go there.
-- As good as the world looks, the characters are a little disappointing.
-- Related to that, it's unclear how much longevity the game'll have. Maybe the Horde vs Alliance stuff will make things more interesting.
-- None of the NPCs talk to you at all unless they have a quest to give you. I hope this is just an alpha/beta thing, and they'll add more life and character to the world before ship.
-- The maps are inadequate. 90% of the dialog in the text channel is from people asking "where is X?"
-- Other stuff that's planned but currently missing, like an auction channel, better chat interface, etc. Too early to tell.

It's already the best MMORPG I've played (previously Final Fantasy XI).
Old 03-23-2004, 01:23 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Great post SolGrundy! You made some really good points about the game I think.

Quote:
The good:
-- The game is pretty damn solid, especially considering the beta's just started. As xtisme mentioned, other MMORPGs have shipped in this state.
-- They've obviously done a lot of playtesting and balancing to minimize the downtime and other annoyances in MMORPGs. Your health & mana constantly regenerate, you can usually solo against 3 or 4 monsters around your level before having to rest up, and even then you can usually get back up to full in less than 30 seconds.
-- Even though the gameplay is fairly simple (talk to someone, kill stuff, repeat), it has yet to get tedious for me. But of course, I loved Diablo II, and that's even simpler.
-- You can solo! The "designers" of a lot of MMORPGs set the games up so that you have to get into a party to do anything, as if it's their duty to force you to be social. In WOW, you benefit from joining a party in that it's much faster, but there's no penalty for going solo.
-- Death penalty is exactly how it should be done.
-- It's beautiful, and what's better has a real art style and imagination instead of just being a bland rehash of tired old fantasy stereotypes (EverQuest, I'm looking at you).
The one comment is more by way of emphasis....the game is beautiful and pretty unique IMO. The land is vibrant and the houses and such are full of all kinds of interesting objects (which you can't touch or pick up unfortunately). Also, as I said myself, the death penalty is perfect IMO...just right.

Quote:
The bad:
-- There are tons and tons of quests, but they're simple and pretty much the same thing over and over again -- kill 9 of this, get 3 of these, go there.
-- As good as the world looks, the characters are a little disappointing.
-- Related to that, it's unclear how much longevity the game'll have. Maybe the Horde vs Alliance stuff will make things more interesting.
-- None of the NPCs talk to you at all unless they have a quest to give you. I hope this is just an alpha/beta thing, and they'll add more life and character to the world before ship.
-- The maps are inadequate. 90% of the dialog in the text channel is from people asking "where is X?"
-- Other stuff that's planned but currently missing, like an auction channel, better chat interface, etc. Too early to tell.
As to the quests, I agree that they are pretty simple and straighforward. Most are basically kill x number of a certain type of monster or monsters, or get x number of items (baskets, shimmer weed, etc). Remember though that the current level limit is 30. The game, when it ships from what I hear, will have a 99 level limit. I imagine that the upper level quests will be a lot better. At least I hope this is the case anyway.

I'm not sure why the characters are disappointing to you. To me they look a lot like the characters from the Warcraft games. I love the dwarves and the gnomes are just a crackup (have you seen a high level gnome warrior in chain? Its a riot!) Also I think the Taurent are really cool, and Night elves too. The only one I'm really disappointed in is the undead...I wanted it to be more like a skeleton.

As to longetivity, I don't know either. As I said, there is supposed to be a pretty high level limit. In addition the trade skills give a lot of live to the game, especially if they put in more and more items you can make. Already there are some VERY cool items you can make. In addition, the 'end game' will most likely be AvH combat sort of like DaoC I imagine. That could give some longetivity to the game I'd think.

I hope they have more interaction with the NPC's also. I also hope that they make some more interesting and complex quests, at least at higher levels. You kind of expect easier and less complex quests for the lower levels, as people need a decent learning curve to ramp up playing the game. I hope that the upper level quests are much more complex and meaningful...adventure type quests. There is a hint of this already btw. There are special quests in the game now that you might not have done that open up a dungeon just for you and your party to be able to adventure in for some goal.

I agree on the maps. I wish I could 'mark' my main map with notes for instance. Also it would be nice if all the quests that had you go somewhere or talk to someone would show up on the mini-map the same way towns and members of your party show up.

Well, there is a trade channel already in the game (/2) so I'm not sure exactly why an auction channel would be needed. Seems most of the channels and chatting stuff works pretty good to me, maybe you could expand on your thoughts on how you think it should be?

-XT
Old 03-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Is camping eliminated or reduced compared to EQ? I was reading the WoW forums and they're talking about a dungeon that was knee high in corpses, which makes me think that there must be a lot of competition for primo hunting spots.

Obviously this may change once more content is added, but it may be a good indication of how things may look in the future...
Old 03-23-2004, 01:54 PM
So since there are a couple of us playing... perhaps we should try to join up when online?

Post character names here and we can try to find one another. I have

Dangerosa (NE Rogue 10)
Terric (Human Paladin 4)
Old 03-23-2004, 02:00 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Coward
Is camping eliminated or reduced compared to EQ? I was reading the WoW forums and they're talking about a dungeon that was knee high in corpses, which makes me think that there must be a lot of competition for primo hunting spots.
Its a different kind of camping, and I think its more due to the nature of how they did the alpha. Hopefully when the game really ships it will be different. Let me describe the problem as it was in the alpha and to a lesser extent how it is now and you can draw your own conclusions.

Several of the quests have you go to a mine/dungeon and slay X number of mobs or pick up boxes scattered throughout the mine/dungeon, or kill a very specific mob or set of mobs that can only be fond in a certain area. In the alpha only one race was put in at a time, so EVERYONE was in the exact same area. This lead to hordes of people who were going after the exact same quest, thus the situation you describe. Even in the beta when the entire alliance is open, the horde characters/lands are locked, so to a lesser degree you have a similar thing happening.

However, as the game is meant to be played, there really AREN'T any 'primo hunting spots' to camp. You are basically moving from quest to quest, not camping per se...except when you need that box or that certain item thats only found in the one mine, you you need to kill a certain specific mob that others are also trying to kill for the same quest.

I think when the full game ships and all the lands are open, as well as when there are multiple servers available, this will be a smaller problem. I'm sure there will still be time when people are competing to do the same quest, but I can't imagine it a major problem when folks are spread out.

-XT
Old 03-23-2004, 02:07 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Sure Brainiac4. I'll be playing in Loch Modan knocking out the low level quests there tonight (troggs and such) with two friends with my new gnome warlock, littlebitz (level 10). If you or anyone else wants to hook up and do the quests with us just send me a tell, I'll be on about 7pm est and will probably play for several hours. If you are a human you can take a griffon from Stormwind to Iron Forge then just hoof it to Loch Modan.

My characters in the alliance that I also play are:

Frasier: Level 14 Paly
Dyth: Level 18 Rogue
Elric: Level 20 Mage

I have a slew of horde characters too, but they are currently disabled. Feel free anyone to seen me a tell if anyone wants to hook up and play some.

-XT
Old 03-23-2004, 02:14 PM
This is great info guys, keep it coming!

This thread got me so pumped up to play this game I broke out my Warcraft 3 CD last night and started playing it again! I know it's not the same, but it's the best us non-beta folks can do.

How is kill stealing handled? It is like EQ in that whoever does the most damage to a mob gets the credit for the kill, or is it more like FF XI where the player who engages a mob first "locks" it so no one else can attack it? I like the FFXI system better myself, if only because it eliminates a lot of whining.

Also, how does the general player population seem? I'm old, so I prefer a more mature player base. My biggest worry is that the game will be filled with annoying little freaks like Battlenet seems to be.

Present company accepted, of course!

- Pierre Elliott Trudeau
Old 03-23-2004, 02:24 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Quote:
How is kill stealing handled? It is like EQ in that whoever does the most damage to a mob gets the credit for the kill, or is it more like FF XI where the player who engages a mob first "locks" it so no one else can attack it? I like the FFXI system better myself, if only because it eliminates a lot of whining.
I think it would be the group or person that does the most damage, but honestly I haven't had it happen to me in this game so far so I'm not sure. It definitely doesn't 'lock' after combat starts though. The looting can be set up (if you are in a group) to be either round robin (the best way IMO) or free for all. A good group leader will set it to round robin until all but one or two people in the party doing a certain quest has the items they need, then set it to free for all so that last guys can get the item (if its a loot item).

Quote:
Also, how does the general player population seem? I'm old, so I prefer a more mature player base. My biggest worry is that the game will be filled with annoying little freaks like Battlenet seems to be.
Well, I'm young (only 16) but my dad also plays and he's pretty old (42). I can't really be a judge of the maturity of the player base though...they seem ok to me for the most part. In the alpha it was a lot of Blizzard employees and their friends only. The beta seems more diverse.

I think the game player base is a lot different than on Battlenet though. Also, its a totally different environment with respect to the hacking and cheating and harshness that was Battlenet as I remember it anyway.

-XT
Old 03-23-2004, 03:34 PM
I just read that the download for the beta is two gigabyes. Yikes! Anyone know how long that would take one of us on a dial-up connection? If I do get in the beta, I'll probably take my computer over to my brother's house and yoink his cable connection for a few hours. I can't imagine that a 2 gb download would take less than a couple days to complete.

And I'm definitely thinking that guilds are the way to go in order to deal with mature players. Already I've seen a reference to the Geezer Guild, a group of beta-ites who are mostly over 20 or 30 and who are going for a mellow, laid-back, friendly play-style. Perhaps when the game releases, we can form the Doper guild.

Daniel
Old 03-23-2004, 04:05 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Damn...the board ate my post. Well, to respond again to LHoD, the conversion from alpha to beta took me 8 hours on a cable modem. Blizzard is using Bit Torrent technology to do the downloads, which in theory gets faster the more people downloading (its a peer to peer distribution protocol). However, IMO your best bet is to go to your brothers house to do the download. Not sure how it will play from dial in either. It plays very smoothly over cable modem or at my dads office (they have a T1).

-XT
Old 03-23-2004, 06:22 PM
Quote:
However, as the game is meant to be played, there really AREN'T any 'primo hunting spots' to camp. You are basically moving from quest to quest, not camping per se...except when you need that box or that certain item thats only found in the one mine, you you need to kill a certain specific mob that others are also trying to kill for the same quest.
I think it's a bigger problem than you make it sound, actually. Granted, it doesn't impact the balance of the game itself -- at least with the relatively low numbers of people on the alpha and beta servers, I've never run into a problem where it was just impossible to get the mob(s) I needed, the worst I've had to do is wait a few minutes.

It does, however, completely kill any notion of the story or plot development. I got an early quest to kill an NPC and bring back his head. When I went to the place he was hiding out, there was literally a line of players queued up waiting to kill him. He would spawn, the front of the line would go out, kill him, say "next," and then the next person would wait for the NPC to respawn. The majority of quests aren't like that, but there are enough that depend on your waiting for a single NPC to spawn that it's annoying. We'll see if the higher-level instanced dungeons help with this at all.

Quote:
I'm not sure why the characters are disappointing to you.
The characters themselves look fine, and they keep with the artstyle of Warcraft III, of course, I just felt that there wasn't as much flexibility in customizing your own character. They can all look vaguely different, but nothing really stands out. It's still a lot more variety than FFXI offerred, and you can change the look by wearing different items.

Quote:
In addition the trade skills give a lot of live to the game, especially if they put in more and more items you can make. Already there are some VERY cool items you can make. In addition, the 'end game' will most likely be AvH combat sort of like DaoC I imagine. That could give some longetivity to the game I'd think.
The Horde vs Alliance stuff will definitely add some longevity to things. I never played Dark Age of Camelot, but I liked the concept a lot.

As for the tradeskills, sure, there's a lot there, but it's all just going up a ladder. SW Galaxies proved that just having a lot of levels of tradeskills doesn't make them any more fun. There's a set of known recipes, a set of known ingredients, you combine them to make a set of known items. Seeing as how this is Blizzard, I was hoping for something a little more Diablo-ish, where there's some randomization and discovery in creating or enhancing items -- you can discover your own recipes, or based on your skill you can create better items with some random enhancements. Maybe the higher levels are different, but I've been playing with the enchanting and engineering tradeskills and don't see any capacity for randomization or surprises.

Quote:
I hope that the upper level quests are much more complex and meaningful...adventure type quests. There is a hint of this already btw. There are special quests in the game now that you might not have done that open up a dungeon just for you and your party to be able to adventure in for some goal.
Maybe. The most promising thing I've heard so far is the mention that there may be some mobs that can see ghosts, and some quests that are only available to ghosts. That's the most original and intriguing idea I've seen yet -- the rest of the quest system is rock-solid, tuned, balanced, but ultimately boring. (Blizzard's M.O.)

Quote:
Well, there is a trade channel already in the game (/2) so I'm not sure exactly why an auction channel would be needed. Seems most of the channels and chatting stuff works pretty good to me, maybe you could expand on your thoughts on how you think it should be?
The chat channels aren't that big a concern; I just wish there were a nicer UI for interacting with the different channels, instead of dealing with all the slash commands. (And since the UI is completely customizable, that's a definite possibility).

The auctions are a different matter altogether. Having to do them "by hand" over a chat channel is just bad (and I've read that they're planning for a fancier auction interface). Again, Final Fantasy XI is the one to look at here; their auction system was perfect. Set up an auction house, put an item up for bids, and check your results. You don't have to do it yourself, you don't have to meet up with the buyer/seller, etc.

Quote:
It's definitely not FFXI's system. In fact, there's currently no indication whether or not someone else has started attacking a monster, so there've been several times I killed something only to turn around and see that someone else had been attacking from a distance. (I put in a suggestion that they switch to FFXI's system, but I doubt they'll do it). When that's happened, it seemed to give looting rights to the character/party that did the most damage. Within a party, looting rights are determined as described earlier. (Incidentally, that was another thing that FFXI handled better, IMO).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness
Already I've seen a reference to the Geezer Guild, a group of beta-ites who are mostly over 20 or 30 and who are going for a mellow, laid-back, friendly play-style. Perhaps when the game releases, we can form the Doper guild.
Over 20 qualifies as "geezer"? Yeep. I'm 32, and I wouldn't say I'm going for more "mellow and laid-back" so much, just less "PWNED! U SUX0R!" In any case, I think the first rule for me with WoW is to avoid the forums -- Blizzard fans obsess over the most minute details ("Necromancer got TOTALLY NERFED when they changed LVL32 Balls Of Fury attack to do +3 dmg per second instead of +3.5!!!!!!") and suck all the fun out of the game, IMO. The same thing started to happen in FFXI, where the fansites, although helpful, would detail every single stat of every single item, and give lists of exactly what character combinations and playstyles were "most efficient." It just took away any semblance of discovering anything, or just playing for fun.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolGrundy
Over 20 qualifies as "geezer"? Yeep. I'm 32, and I wouldn't say I'm going for more "mellow and laid-back" so much, just less "PWNED! U SUX0R!"
I think their "geezer" appellation is a tongue-in-cheek reference to the huge number of thirteen-year-olds throwing leetspeak, homophobia, and racial epithets all over battle.net. I'm not yet thirty and am willing to be a geezer if it means minimizing my contact with such fools.

(Note that some thirteen-year-olds are delightful people, and some thirty-year-olds belong in a zoo; I'm just make crass overgeneralizations).

Daniel
Old 03-24-2004, 12:04 PM
There was a Penny Arcade post about WOW. Between this thread and that post, I really wanna play it!
Old 03-26-2004, 01:00 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
I found a cool article about the game on the Warcraft Vault for anyone still interested in this discussion.

Quote:
And what about those other players? World of WarCraft, more than any other MMORPG we've tried, plays much more like a single-player RPG--something Blizzard designed very much on purpose. Blizzard actually designed the game so that the "outside world" is indeed conquerable by solo players. No outdoor territories are too dangerous for those who want to play alone. Furthermore, while there are plenty of tough monsters in the outside areas, none will yield any of the kind of unique "phat lewt" for which other players will want to camp or steal or grief other players

For the cooler rewards, the best loot, the most XP, and the toughest monsters, you have to group with others and venture underground or into the caverns of WOW's 100-plus "micro-dungeons" or 20-plys giant dungeons--the biggest of which might take a guild full of players an entire real-world week to clear out.

We found a few of the smaller dungeons to be pretty brutal, inhabited by what the designers call "plus mobs." While the monsters in outdoor zones are all level appropriate for solo players, "plus mobs" monsters may each be 7 to 10 levels above you--or, in other words, instant death if you aren't grouped with other players. As such, the gameplay in the dungeons is much slower, more strategic, and more cooperative than that outdoors--but the rewards are much greater.

The best part about all these dungeons, large and small, is that they are yours and yours alone, created for your specific use when triggered by a quest. Anyone in your party can join in the "instance" (as Blizzard calls it) of your dungeon, inviting them in. (And should you disconnect accidentally, as we did, you'll land right back in the dungeon--not 800 miles away.) This applies to the game's largest überdungeons as well, which Blizzard has tailored specifically for large guild-style raids. No "raid collision" is even possible in World of WarCraft--guilds won't have to camp the game's biggest monsters, because every guild can create its own instance.
It gives a good overview of the game in general and points out some of the cooler features. At this point I'll let the thread sink into obscurity unless someone has any further questsion or comments about the game. I will probably revive it when the next push comes out to describe the new races/classes. Also, when/if Blizzard gives out some additional information on the higher level 'Hero Classes' we are all waiting for. If you played Warcraft III you know what Hero Classes are...and they are going to be incorporated into WoW for +40 level character, but no details yet except that there will be Demon Hunter (Night Elf Hunter) Mountain King (Dwarf).

-XT (jr)
Old 03-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Charter Jays Fan
What are the expected system requirements?

The recent EverQuest patch fiasco has rendered my computer worthless for EQ; althought he graphics card is supported, it simply doesn't work for shit anymore and the limited solutions EQ Tech Support is offering have no effect.

On March 22 my computer ran EQ perfectly.
On March 23 the game was totally unplayable.

So if WoW is playable and good, they may get my money.
Old 03-26-2004, 01:25 PM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
If I have time later I'll look up the 'official requirements' for you RickJay. Currently I'm running the game just fine on a 1 Ghz processor with 512mb RAM and a GeForce 4 4200 with 64mb RAM. Pretty modest system IMO...and it works fine for me. Someone told me that the ATI cards also play fine, at least the newer versions.

-XT (jr)
Old 03-26-2004, 03:50 PM
From the FAQ:

Quote:
What are the game's system requirements?
We have not yet finalized the system requirements for World of Warcraft. As with our past games, our goal is to ensure that the game will run on a wide variety of 3D cards and at a wide range of processor speeds.
Blizzard has a stellar history of making games that are resource-friendly, games that run even on low-end machines while taking full advantage of higher-end machines. I fully expect they'll do the same thing here.

Daniel
Old 03-26-2004, 04:33 PM
Also as to system requirements: Blizzard has kept up their stellar support for Macintosh machines, as I was able to install the alpha & beta on my Powerbook (1.2 GHz with an ATI something-or-other video card) and it runs adequately. It didn't even require a separate download!

Of course, it wasn't meant to run on a laptop; the hard drive is just too slow for all the data that has to stream off disk to make a seamless world. I'm just mentioning it to point out that the engine scales well and should have reasonable system requirements.
Old 04-18-2004, 01:31 PM
how about bandwidth usage (mb/hour)? the faq says it will be playable on a modem, i assume that means 56k? for a 3d mmorpg?
Old 04-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Man, i'm setting myself up for a big dissapointment (again... i'm looking at you shadowbane and star wars galaxies) if this game doesn't end up being the hottest thing since liquid fuck. The main concern is that in this type of online game your enjoyment can easily be ruined by the people around you and if this game attracts the usual blizzard online game crowd its destined to fail no matter how good they make it.

Another big part of it is content, EQ has been out for 5 years or so, before that it was in development for 3 more years. There is no way WoW can launch with even 1/10th of the content EQ already has, and keeps pumping out with regular expansions every 4 months or so. Since it seems like most of the content is based on quests i hope they have some truly epic ones in there, an i dont mean p.o.s EQ epic weapon type quests, more like the ring war in thurgadim (for those who never played EQ the ring war quest involved leading an army of dwarves against an army of giants bent on destroying their city, commanding an army of dwarf NPCs and fighting off wave after wave of invading giant armies with my guild has been one of the most rewarding and "epic" things i've ever done in a game).
Old 04-18-2004, 11:53 PM
I'm an original alpha tester.
Not playing so much anymore (school time constraints), but I'm currently Cheese, a lvl 6 Tauren Druid. (Like everyone else on the server.)
Old 04-19-2004, 12:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by censored
... a lvl 6 Tauren Druid. (Like everyone else on the server.)
No, not *everyone* is a Tauren Druid. Some of us are Orc or Troll Shamans (Shamen? Not sure of the plural in this instance).

I'm liking the Shaman class -- it's a good fighter/mage setup. Ranged damage spells to pull enemies and soften them up on the way in, buffs for weapon damage and protection, and the ability to wear leather armor right at the start. It'll be interesting to see how it develops at the higher levels. Thus far, I am only to level 6 (not enough time to play, sadly).
Old 04-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
This push is definitely the best yet IMO. I love the new rest system which discourages those power leveling geeks with no life (love that 200% exp bonus for being 'well rested' ). The druid class also rocks IMO. I'm a bit bummed that my old characters got frozen (and will probably be wacked from what I'm hearing in the rumor mill) but they really made some good advances in refining the character classes. I also love the new hearth stones that let you teleport back to your 'home' once an hour. Man, what a great thing that is.

With this push I think Blizard really moved the game forward. I'm really getting excited about this game going gold now (though I'm sure the beta will go on for many more months).

-XT (jr)
Old 04-19-2004, 10:11 AM
Agnatheist
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinn
how about bandwidth usage (mb/hour)? the faq says it will be playable on a modem, i assume that means 56k? for a 3d mmorpg?
Its probably 'playable' on a 56k modem, but I doubt it would be much fun, especially in the cities. That said, Blizard cut the memory space of all objects in the game by half this push and the game is flowing VERY smoothly for me now...even in Stormwind which was a nightmare for me before. When they finally put in the auction system and get rid of all that spamming (something they are looking at doing either next push or the one after if the rumor mill is right) that will help even more.

The biggest thing you need for this game is a really good video card with tons of memory. I've got an older GeForce 4600 with 128mb RAM, and I'm doing ok...but people with the next generation ATI or GeForce cards are really rocking from what I understand. Trying to talk my dad into letting me raid his store room for more RAM, faster (7200 rpm) hard drive and I'm planning on buying a GeForce 5600 as soon as I have the money for it.

-XT (jr)
Old 04-19-2004, 01:11 PM
Another Alpha/beta tester here...have about 20+ guildmates in so far, but I'd love to get a Doper group going!

My current chars are:
Swan- lvl 9 Tauren druid
Morrigania- Lvl 5 undead mage
Hekate- Lvl 1 undead warlock

My locked chars are:
Cerridanae- 26 human warlock
Cerri- 14 human warrior
Moonwind- 11 Night elf Priest
Aliandra- 8 human mage