Old 04-08-2004, 05:35 PM
Folks really think non-sequitur replies are clever or funny? ("Bring Pie")

Do people really still feel that replying to threads they don't like with "My cat's breath smells like cat food" and references to pie is actually still clever or funny? Was it EVER anything but stupid and unclever?

Yes, I know most if not all the replies to this thread will be the very same non-sequiturs I'm ranting about. Hardy-har-har, that's mighty intelligent and clever too. Congratulations on your burning brightness that dwarfs the sun.

Surely I'm not the only one who sees this practice as simply a display of mental bankruptcy? If you can't think of anything even marginally original or clever, save the hamster-joules and protect the illusion that you aren't devoid of any worthwhile thoughts.

Since this a very common idiocy, I don't think I need a link. If you don't know what I'm talking about, don't worry about it.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:38 PM
So, in other words, we're supposed to respond with something thought-provoking and meaningful about...what, exactly? The lack of meaningful and thought-provoking comments?

Start with one of your own first.

And when come back, bring pie.

Official Doper Brat Inductee, 2004
Old 04-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Non-sequitur replies are simply simple-minded silliness. Some are lame. At the right point in a thread they can be knock-down-on-your-ass hilarious. Most are in between. Obviously, YMMV. (For you acronym-haters: Your Mileage May Vary). I suspect this is a subject much like puns. There are people who can't stand any sort of pun under any condition. Me, I think most are funny, although on occasion I hear one so bad I simply roll my eyes.

So on the subject of non-sequiturs, you're like a rabid anti-punster; never under any circumstances. I can respect that; we're all different. But don't think your point of view is held by most others because I suspect it ain't.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:44 PM
So when something insane, or stupid, or outlandish is posted. Something so patently lame that one cannot honestly reply on-topic to it, they should what, just sit on their hands and watch as others join the pile-on or defend the words of the OP?

Methinks you're taking your pit a bit too seriously. It's not like the previous habit of :ulling up a lawnchair to see fireworks:: In most cases, it seems that it's another way of conveying sarcasm and avoiding the over-use of the smiley. Otherwise, the little guy would get awfully tired in the pit...

Sam
Old 04-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chastain86
So, in other words, we're supposed to respond with something thought-provoking and meaningful about...what, exactly? The lack of meaningful and thought-provoking comments?
Adding stupidity to stupidity is just more stupidity.

I suggest ignoring idiotic posts, if one is mentally incapable of calling them on it intelligently.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:46 PM
$20 says this devolves into some stupid non-sequitur thread.

Bonus points if this warps into some stupid non-sequitur joke thread.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:48 PM
I don't think anybody thinks they're actually being clever or original, or even particularly funny. I read it as a shorthand way of saying that the person thinks that the OP has posted something so incredibly lame that it's beneath not only discussion, but unworthy of even derisive mention. "I like pie" is in a way more insulting than "that rates among the stupidest rants I have ever heard", as it avoids addressing the post or the poster altogether.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaWd
Methinks you're taking your pit a bit too seriously. It's not like the previous habit of :ulling up a lawnchair to see fireworks:: In most cases, it seems that it's another way of conveying sarcasm and avoiding the over-use of the smiley. Otherwise, the little guy would get awfully tired in the pit...

Sam
Well, I'm ranting about a pet peeve, which sort of is the definition of taking something too seriously, I'll admit that.

But it's just so goddamn stupid......
Old 04-08-2004, 05:51 PM
Quote:
You lose. Quick, pay up before someone else posts.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Kabong
You lose. Quick, pay up before someone else posts.
Not so fast there buddy.

Chastain86 already threw out a pie.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:54 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Eater

Bonus points if this warps into some stupid non-sequitur joke thread.
Triple bonus points if this warps into a funny non-sequitur joke thread.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:56 PM
There are some occasions when an inane and nonsensical response is warranted. I don't have a problem with them as the first response to an OP about "OMG my bf sat wtih some other gurl at lunch!!"

But then there are the posters whose entire repertoire consists of variations on these non sequiturs. There's one in particular, in fact, who I have never seen post anything but one of the aforementioned catch phrases or something similar(I expect this poster will eventually appear in this thread, actually). When you're using these phrases more often than not, you've crossed a line.
Old 04-08-2004, 05:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim
Adding stupidity to stupidity is just more stupidity.
And this fantastically-mild rant is Shakespeare, then? Practice what you preach.

Quote:
I suggest ignoring idiotic posts, if one is mentally incapable of calling them on it intelligently.
Gee, thanks for being the SDMB Determiner of Stupidity. Do you get a special hat or button to go with that Heapin' Helpin' of Righteous Indignation?

I don't especially get a huge kick out of the SD "in-jokes," but you're just as guilty of sucking up the bandwidth as everyone else.

Old 04-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponder Stibbons
Obviously, YMMV. (For you acronym-haters: Your Mileage May Vary).
[hijack]Thank you so much for explaining what that means! I always make a mental note to figure out what the hell these acronyms mean, then I forget by the end of the thread because I get distracted by the non-sequitors and pie. [/hijack]
Old 04-08-2004, 06:00 PM
Sometimes a non-sequitor IS FUNNY!
Sometimes they are used because we aren't allowed to say DNFTT
Mostly they are just added to annoy Revtim
Old 04-08-2004, 06:01 PM
My problem is when they reach critical mass. Like the death ray thing please og don't anyone go there It goes from funny to amusing to annoying to 'please shut the fuck up about it!'

Some fortunately don't reach that stage before they are replaced. Other's just hang around and hang around.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:05 PM
Quote:

I suggest ignoring idiotic posts
Why don't you just do this, yourself?

Yeah, they add to the hamster-work, but lead by example. While I might do it elsewhere and some others may do it elsewhere, I've learned that it isn't really accepted here, because most people don't do it.

Plus, sometimes, this board is a little too serious and it might be a welcome relief for some people.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Quote:
And this fantastically-mild rant is Shakespeare, then? Practice what you preach.
I rant to please me, not you.
Quote:
Gee, thanks for being the SDMB Determiner of Stupidity. Do you get a special hat or button to go with that Heapin' Helpin' of Righteous Indignation?.
I'm really impressed with how you take a rant about me finding one thing stupid into me declaring myself "SDMB Determiner of Stupidity". That manages to be even more idiotic than a million-times repeated non-sequitur. Congratulations.

OK, that makes two things I find stupid.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:08 PM
Revtim, you better hope EddyTeddyFreddy doesn't find this thread or there's going to be some heavy-duty humor and pie-offering going on.

(Ball's in your court, ETF.)
Old 04-08-2004, 06:11 PM
Rev, I think I just read the thread that set you off.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:14 PM
My second thread ever had some moron (won't mention his name) saying the stupid death ray shit. Gee, I felt like someone actually read what I wrote and considered it thoughtfully before being an ASS -- no, in fact I thought he was just an ass all the way through.

I'm not attacking your ability to be an ass, mind you. How can I stop you? But if you want me to think kindly of you and your ability to reason logically and perhaps say something glowingly witty, then don't be an ass.

I'm never going to like the poster who did that to me. Ever. And I plan to be around here for a while.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:14 PM
Oh please..

There is only one reason for bring pie and other off topic joke posts.

They are cheap and easy post count padding posts.

G. W. Bush re Kosovo, Houston Chronicle April 9, 1999
Old 04-08-2004, 06:20 PM
Quote:
I'm really impressed with how you take a rant about me finding one thing stupid into me declaring myself "SDMB Determiner of Stupidity". That manages to be even more idiotic than a million-times repeated non-sequitur. Congratulations.
Hey, whatever blows your hair back, rev. I happen to find people who bitch and moan about things that are easily avoided to be even stupider.

There's this little bar at the top of your window. I'll wait a second while you call tech support to find it.

If you type in different things into it (as long as it starts with 3 w's and ends with .com) and hit the rectanglular bar that says ENTER on it, it will take you to different parts of "teh inter-web." Places where people don't offend your tender sensibilities with in-jokes and silly comments.

Are you still here? I've also got another crazy idea.

You could...I know, it sounds nutty, but stay with me...

Ready?

Stay here on the SDMB, drink a tall glass of shut the fark up, and click on another thread.

Jesus, not everybody has the same sense of humor you do. Appalling that you'd expect everyone to.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:30 PM
I guess why the rant doesn't work for me is that sometimes the non sequitur is truly funny. No always, heck, not often, but sometimes it's just perfect. Maybe it's just me? I find that this is more true on a generally bitchier women's board that I hang out on; it's a great way for posters to say a thread is beneath her discussion or another way to pseudo-ignore a troll.

All in all, while a common practice, a link where the non-sequitur reply was really out of line would have been more effective getting us behind your cause.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Jesus, not everybody has the same sense of humor you do. Appalling that you'd expect everyone to.
Just curious; why do you have to claim outrageous things like me appointing myself "SDMB Determiner of Stupidity" or expecting everybody to have the same sense of humor? You sure read a fuck of a lot into me simply ranting about finding something very stupid.

Do you do a lot of these non-sequiturs, and I hit a nerve or something?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkhold
My problem is when they reach critical mass. Like the death ray thing please og don't anyone go there
Um...what kind of death rays are we talking about? >: )
Old 04-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Just curious; why do you have to claim outrageous things like me appointing myself "SDMB Determiner of Stupidity" or expecting everybody to have the same sense of humor? You sure read a fuck of a lot into me simply ranting about finding something very stupid.

Do you do a lot of these non-sequiturs, and I hit a nerve or something?
Not at all. You just manage to come off as extremely haughty and judgmental of the way people choose to contribute around here. The whole tone of your OP was very dick-like, as if you were lamenting the fact that not everyone's as good a contributor as you are. You even dared everyone else to bust out their cliches, so you could sit back smugly shaking your head, because how dare we? And after you said non-sequiturs were unimaginative?

You remind me of the people that piss and moan because television shows nothing but crap, but you never press the OFF button. If you don't like it, for fuck's sake leave. The board is the way it is, has been for a very long time, and will continue long after you ditch us to form your own message board for Crochety Fucks With No Sense of Humor.

I'm not big with the cliches, but you sure make me want to whip out my 1920's Death Ray and say hi to Opal.

Old 04-08-2004, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
Why I have no idea what you're talking about. No death rays in my universe *puts fingers in ears* Lalalalalala.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya

I don't know for sure, but they may be referencing the weaponry used by the White Russians in the continuing conflict against the Bolsheviks after the Nov 11, 1918 official end of hostilities in the Great War. Could be mistaken, though.

What I want to know is... why are people still using smilies that don't work? Or are they working on some differnt skins and/or browsers?
Old 04-08-2004, 06:59 PM
Quote:
Not at all. You just manage to come off as extremely haughty and judgmental of the way people choose to contribute around here.
Well, I was really trying to just display how stupid I thought what i was ranting about was. If I came off as superior, I apologize.
Quote:
You remind me of the people that piss and moan because television shows nothing but crap, but you never press the OFF button. If you don't like it, for fuck's sake leave. The board is the way it is, has been for a very long time, and will continue long after you ditch us to form your own message board for Crochety Fucks With No Sense of Humor.
I don't think it's so outrageous to complain about something one loves, in an attempt to improve it. Why is the only option to abandon something once you don't like one part of it? I find that about as reasonable as "America: Love It Or Leave It".
Old 04-08-2004, 07:08 PM
Charter Member
Sometimes stupid is funny, really.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoClueBoy
I don't know for sure, but they may be referencing the weaponry used by the White Russians in the continuing conflict against the Bolsheviks after the Nov 11, 1918 official end of hostilities in the Great War. Could be mistaken, though.

What I want to know is... why are people still using smilies that don't work? Or are they working on some differnt skins and/or browsers?
They don't have an evil smiley so I had to put one together.

Those rays used by the Russians, were they the ones that targeted the auditory nerve? And I though they came on the scene a couple years after the armistice.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:36 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist
Revtim, you better hope EddyTeddyFreddy doesn't find this thread or there's going to be some heavy-duty humor and pie-offering going on.

(Ball's in your court, ETF.)
Gee, thanks. Now I'm supposed to come up with some witty, whacky, wondrous whirl of hilarity that will melt the hearts of the opponents as they collapse in gargantuan guffaws, rolling on the floor together in a heart-warming reconciliation scene?

My ass.

Um, well, actually, if you added to the above the random flinging of cream pies, stirred well with Clue Sticks, then cooked with a 1920's style heating apparatus, you might come up with....

Something my cat would refuse to have on its breath.

Anyway, I'm with moi, GaWd, pravnik on non sequiturs (original of catch phrases) in threads. Especially when they pop up in a thread that's lame and going nowhere, and touch off a barrage of truly funny, wild, off-the-wall, dizzying, clever divagations that are orders of magnitude more fun to read than what set them off.
Old 04-08-2004, 07:41 PM
Charter Member
Grumble: "original or catch phrases". And I even previewed the damned thing.

What do we want? Instant edit!
When do we want it? NOW!!!
Old 04-08-2004, 07:48 PM
I had bugs for lunch.

When the big one drops and we're living on rats and dandelions I want you in my mutant army! - astro
Old 04-08-2004, 08:00 PM
It wasn't exactly a non-sequitor, but I'm reasonably proud of the initial comment I made in this thread.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:00 PM
I find that by disabling signatures, I get far less pie. Suits me fine.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers
It wasn't exactly a non-sequitor, but I'm reasonably proud of the initial comment I made in this thread.
That was a direct response to what was asked in the OP, and in no way related to what I'm ranting about. It was pretty funny, too. (ya compliment fisher..... )
Old 04-08-2004, 08:13 PM
but really...

Who ate all the pies???
Old 04-08-2004, 08:17 PM
Mod Rocker
Quote:
There is only one reason for bring pie and other off topic joke posts.

They are cheap and easy post count padding posts.
Wrong.

I find most of the non sequiturs to be not particularly funny, but, when used deftly, they can, indeed, be a perfect squelch to a horribly contrived and irrational post.

(And, for heaven's sake, how many people actually care about post counts, anyway?)
Old 04-08-2004, 08:23 PM
I still like the pie joke because that cartoon cracked me up. In case people don't know the reference, could someone please provide a link?
Old 04-08-2004, 08:24 PM
I find some good ones funny, some bad ones funny, and some of either (or neither) quality fall flat. I generally find death ray references dull because that shit got beaten to death before it had time to mature. "When come back", "cat food" and "all your [thing] are belong to" tend to allow for more ... maneuverability? Originality within the framework of the original non-sequitur?

There was a thread some months ago where "when come back, bring pi" was posted by Polycarp in response to something I wrote. I thought that was amusing because it was a situation-based twist (the OP was involved with math) on the original.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:33 PM
Quote:
That was a direct response to what was asked in the OP, and in no way related to what I'm ranting about. It was pretty funny, too. (ya compliment fisher..... )
Well, I never miss an opportunity to toot my own banjo.
Old 04-08-2004, 08:40 PM
ETF? Pie??
Old 04-08-2004, 08:45 PM
Just thought
a fourth reason is simply to add a non sequitur is as an easy way to bounce an existing thread they find interesting but have no new information to add too.

And Elysian I found the thread you referred to, you really need to get over yourself if you are still holding a grudge. Leaves are turning yellow (boring and long) was quite good, but calling it (boring and long) was the mistake that brought about its quick demise.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Ekers

Just so you know, I found that so funny that I actually remember reading it the first time way back then. 99% of the SDMB goes in one ear and out the other, so I'm all for comments like that.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:54 PM
I rant to please me, not you.

I bring pie to please me, not you.

You no get pie, Bob. Now go over there and ride Wee Bull until you simmer down or I'll sleep with your slutty donkey.
Old 04-08-2004, 10:12 PM
Let's do it old school:

I BURNING YOUR DOG!
Old 04-08-2004, 10:43 PM
I need to pee.

I apologize, I just read Endgame, which I rather enojyed BTW, so I couldn't resist.

*scuttles off before she gets killed by the OP, or plastered with pie*
Old 04-08-2004, 11:33 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starving Artist
ETF? Pie??
Naw, pie is so last year. I'm bringing back pineapple upside down cake.