Old 05-05-2004, 08:27 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Hells Angels--What are "Nomad" chapters?

After reading the autobiography of Sonny Barger, founder of the Oakland Hells Angels chapter, and spending time poking around the websites of the HAMC umbrella organization and the various chapters, I've noticed that some chapters use the word 'Nomads' in their name. In fact, according to Barger's book, the Oakland group used that designation for its first year or two of existence.

Can anyone out there tell me what the 'Nomads' designation means? Is it something that's understood among bikers, across all the outlaw clubs? Or is it just limited to the HAs? Was there another club called 'Nomads' that merged with the Angels in the early days?
Old 05-05-2004, 10:19 PM
They were part of a merger of sorts.

Nomads

After reading Barger's book, you should read Hunter S. Thompson account of his time with the Hells Angels. It should be available at your local library. It's a interesting read even after 30+ years.
Old 05-19-2004, 02:14 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Thanks for your answer, Oat, though your link doesn't really help much. It points to a New York chapter of Nomads that doesn't really have much to say; there's only a link to "Events", and then, "None at this time".

Was there by chance another link you meant to give?

I have read the Hunter Thompson book, but I tend to go with Barger's account as being more authentic...if only because he is frank and completely unapologetic about his various acts of violence and intimidation. At least he doesn't appear to be hiding anything.
Old 05-19-2004, 03:35 PM
No cite and IANAOB, but I asked my father-in-law about his jackect with an Angels Nomad patch a few years ago. According to what he told me, HA chapters use them when they don't claim a hometown like, for example, Hell's Angels Ventura (Ca).
Usually it's a chapter that has members from a large area or several small chapters that have merged together. He's a true B.S. artist though, so I'll stop short of saying that that's the complete and total story.
As for other clubs using it, most clubs are smaller outfits with few chapters. Pehaps another national club like the Vagos or Heathens might, but I've had few dealings with members of either so I can't answer that part.

Peace - DESK
Old 09-24-2011, 04:05 PM
Nomad Chapter's

Those who know won't say, and those who say don't know. I hope that clarifies things for you.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:57 PM
That really doesn't clarify things at all, actually.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:05 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
FWIW, Wikipedia says a Nomad is a member who's authorized by the regional, national, or world leadership of a club to inspect local chapters, enforce rules, and basically ensure that the clubs "ideals" are being lived up to. I'm pretty sure this article wasn't up when I opened this thread.

While I don't think this explanation is correct in every instance, it does make sense. If you want to know about outlaw bike clubs, a half-truth is better than no-truth. Unless you want to start hanging out with the clubs.

Last edited by Spectre of Pithecanthropus; 09-24-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing View Post
That really doesn't clarify things at all, actually.
But it is in red, so that's gotta tell you something.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:36 PM
If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand
Old 09-24-2011, 08:40 PM
Charter Member
From what I've learned after three seasons of SOA, Nomads are guys who are authorized members of the MC but not affiliated with any particular chapter.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Category5 View Post
If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand
I could tell you, but I'd have to kill you.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus View Post
Hells Angels--What are "Nomad" chapters?
They sterilize imperfection.

Sterilize!

Sterilize!

Sterilize!
Old 11-02-2012, 10:47 PM
Hells Angels Nomad Charters

I was married to a member of a Hells Angel Nomad Charter. It's very simple and not at all sinister. When a large geographical area is covered by only one charter, they are called Nomads. This is because many of the members must travel a long way to attend meetings and events put on by the club. An example would be in the Stockton area of CA, or Washington State where one charter covers the whole state. They would still have the state they reside in as a bottom rocker. The Nomad tag is usually a small tag above a front pocket where you might otherwise see Oakland, San Fran, Orange Co. etc.
Old 11-03-2012, 05:45 AM
"Outlaws" sure seen to have a lot of laws don't they...
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcaddy View Post
I was married to a member of a Hells Angel Nomad Charter. It's very simple and not at all sinister. When a large geographical area is covered by only one charter, they are called Nomads. This is because many of the members must travel a long way to attend meetings and events put on by the club. An example would be in the Stockton area of CA, or Washington State where one charter covers the whole state. They would still have the state they reside in as a bottom rocker. The Nomad tag is usually a small tag above a front pocket where you might otherwise see Oakland, San Fran, Orange Co. etc.
Interesting. What was it like for you to be married to someone in that club?