Old 05-12-2004, 11:26 PM
Godsend Questions (Spoilers likely and unboxed)

So I have a few questions about Godsend, the movie about human cloning.

1. What exactly happened? I know De Niro's son went crazy and killed people, but how did he get clone Adam to go crazy, too? I don't remember it being revealed that De Niro had implanted false memories into the clone.

2. Why was nothing being done about clone Adam killing Roy (Ron? That kid in school no one liked.)? First they find out the clone killed him, then they move somewhere new?

3. What did clone Adam being pulled into the closet at the end have to do with anything? I thought that what the clone was doing was directly related to what Zack had been doing. When did Zack ever pull someone into a closet?

4. How come the clone still doesn't know he's a clone? Was it because he was "Zack" when he was looking through the pictures? If he was Zack at the time, what interest did Zack have in the pictures anyway?

I'll probably remember a few more questions, but once a few of these are answered, any potential problems I have may be cleared up. Thanks for the answers.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:11 AM
I must point out this is a bad movie...really bad, so the best that can be done is try to interpret author's intent and ignore the (many) plotholes. So this is what i got.

1. The scientist lost his son after the kid went crazy, the scientist used the couple by pretending to clone their late son adam....but was actually cloning his own son's personality and the physical appearance of adam. This is apparently so he could "get his son" back in a way, which explains why he remained so close to adam 2.

2. We are to assume adam was never a suspect, but his parents found out....so they left town

3. This part left me more than confused also. Not because i can't follow complex storylines....but because this was so poorly written i don't think the writers even knew what they were going for here....other than something "scary" happened.

4. I got the impression he knew he was a clone after seeing the pictures, he didn't seem to care much though seeing as how he was a complete psycho.

And that's my....best
Old 05-13-2004, 03:16 PM
So...

1. Was this explained during the scene at the funeral? It seemed to me like De Niro didn't have the DNA to clone his own son, so how could he have given clone Adam Zack's personality?

You answered the rest of my questions. Thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:55 PM
3. I believe that the part where he is pulled into the closet is supposed to be symbolic to the fact that the evil kid is taking control of his body or mind or what have you...I don't think it is supposed to be literally that some dead kid pulled him into the closet or something.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:30 AM
De Niro's character explained the Zach clone thing in the church scene where he knocked the dad out and set the building ablaze. He was working on the cloning technology at the time of his son's death and saved some DNA at that time for use when it was perfected.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:23 AM
So De Niro was able to save Zack's memory from the DNA? Is that possible?
Old 05-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by xvxdarkknightxvx
So De Niro was able to save Zack's memory from the DNA? Is that possible?
Absolutely not. But I'm speaking from a reality-based perspective.

Remember, you get half of your DNA from each of your parents, but you don't get half of their memories, too.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:02 PM
So the movie was starting to make a little sense after a while, but now it just makes no sense. Could someone explain what exactly they were trying to do with this movie? It just seemed so pointless because they never resolved anything!
Old 05-14-2004, 05:21 PM
Well if you want my opinion, this is a case of someone coming up with an alright concept but not knowing exactly hot to execute it....which happens all too much in hollywood. It started out somewhat compelling, but the last half of the film spiraled out of control and just felt ridiculous. Add to that the pressure for a thriller like this to come up with a "twist" at the end and you end up with some pretty shoddy writing.....

I'm not one to heavily criticize movies, i'm a believer of suspending disbelief and just being entertained for two hours....but when the 8 year old in front of me is pointing out logical problems and plot holes, there's a problem.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:40 PM
Why does the movie it's called Godsend ?

Why does the movie it's called Godsend ?