Old 05-14-2004, 02:52 AM
How do I say "Hello my friend!" in Russian?

The question's pretty straight forward. If you saw an old friend from Moscow and basically wanted to say "Hey there Buddy!" (enthusiastic and informal), would you use "Prizet", "Tovaris", "Nazdrovia", or none of the above? And what's a word for friend or pal?

(Please write the answer phonetically if its pronunciation is not self evident.)

Thanks
Old 05-14-2004, 03:32 AM
priv-YET
Old 05-14-2004, 03:37 AM
Sorry. My (male) friend = moy drook
My (female) friend = mya pah-DROOG-a

I'm not sure you'd say that in a greeting though. It might look a little twee or quaint especially from a foreigner. Stick with privet if it's an old friend.
Old 05-14-2004, 10:22 AM
"Tovarish" means comrade and unfortunately, hs such strong communist era connotations that it is shunned for the most part. (it has become analagous to comrade in English really, you wouldn't use it unless you were being ironic or trying to signify that you *are* a communist)

I might say

[name]! kak delah? (stress the "ah" sound.. del-AH)

= "[name]! How's it going?"

That's a very informal greeting and even a non-speaker of Russian has a hope of pronouncing it well enough to be understood.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:25 PM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: double dose nyquil president bush binoculars edible styrofoam locking zipper murder chalk outline plumbers basin wrench buy mercurochrome card game phrases merfolk names endearment list dragonskin body armour athena owls carnage symbol short snorter equal sticker meaning phenergan dm high your welcome japanese shovel teeth melungeon cheerleader forgot spankies dumpster law hostess fruit pie fake jewels bravo actual mj12 commando viridian presentation info fuck me shoes coca leaves seeds nasty disease parking wars fake prime star satellite fedex message board jew ringlets indian spiders kosher dill colin farrell accent getting dentures at 30 can i put a 40w bulb in a 60w socket what are your cousin's child to you maximum safe height to jump into water richard sterban vocal range how to turn on a radiator does rogaine really improve hair growth is russian roulette illegal songs everyone knows but doesn't know the name does barnes and noble sell used books how to glue rubber to plastic credit card went through washer and dryer gabby from sesame street how long does cooked spaghetti sauce last in the fridge window too wide for air conditioner toronto to chicago drive time how to win at ring toss what is the difference between middle school and junior high tv tropes technology marches on substitute for laundry detergent in a pinch you can't eat your pudding alternative to to whom it may concern diameter of a compact disc did elvis presley write any songs lawful good deities d&d can zombies climb ladders sword fighting classes near me living in reston va does stanley steemer clean cars is it safe to give out my bank account number 9 p in sa computer doesn't recognize kindle does levaquin affect birth control at will employment quitting