Old 07-09-2004, 08:42 AM
Hey, gals. Aleve for cramps?

Does it work as well as Advil?

This month is turning out to be magically cramptacular. I have been taking continuous prophylactic Advil as well as higher doses when the cramps start stacking up.

The cool thing about Advil, for me, anyway, is that if I take it at the first twinges (which, for me, means that I just take it regularly for three or four days of my period) it will actually prevent the super-bad cramps. Tylenol, by contrast, will just mask the pain and let the cramps have their way with me. If I don't do the Advil thing, after a couple of days I feel like somebody's been working my gut like a heavy bag.

The only drawback to Advil is that it only works for about 6 hours, which means I wake up at five in the morning with cramps, and have to motivate myself to stagger out of bed and take some more.

I hear that Aleve works for cramps, too, and it lasts longer. But does it really work for cramps, or is it like Tylenol?
Old 07-09-2004, 08:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Podkayne
I hear that Aleve works for cramps, too, and it lasts longer. But does it really work for cramps, or is it like Tylenol?
It works very well for me. And the fact that it lasts longer means I can sleep through the night without waking up in pain.
Old 07-09-2004, 08:57 AM
Charter Member
I was once on the prescription version of Aleve (Anaprox, I forget the dose but they were horse pills) for cramps that had been putting me to bed for two days every month, and it worked very well. After a while I was able to quit taking it, and I have never taken the OTC version (or anything else, for that matter) for cramps since. Use that information as you will.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 AM
Put me down as a fan of Aleve. Best OTC anti-spasmodic/pain reliever I have found for cramps.

Since once a month I feel like someone is trying to eviscerate me with a dull spoon, I make sure there is always some in the house. Woe to he should he waste the last of my precious Aleve on a headache and not replace the bottle!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:19 AM
Being a guy, I don't have cramps that often, but I do take aleve for my arthritis. It works great without shredding my stomach like advil does. Put me down as another aleve fan.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:49 AM
Wait, donegalwombat's a female? I always pictured you a male for some reason. Huh.

Anyway, I luuuuuuurve Aleve. I have horrid cramps and I used to always wake up at 4 am when the Advil had worn off. And you know how it takes forever for the Advil to start working after the cramps have actually started? Ugh. I never got any sleep on my period.

The Aleve is great. I can take two before bed, sleep a full eight hours, wake up without cramps, and then pop two more before the Aleve wears off. Highly recommended.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:54 AM
I also used to be on Anaprox many years ago, which was heavenly. I will only take Aleve for my cramps, nothing else is going to cut it. Since several years on Anaprox eventually made it lose its punch, I try not to take Aleve for anything but my cramps, and go with Advil for everything else.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Sounds cool. I'll grab some on the next grocery run and give it a try next month.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tremorviolet
Wait, donegalwombat's a female?
But I'm a female who would rather get lost than for directions.
Old 07-09-2004, 01:37 PM
...than ask for directions...
Old 07-09-2004, 02:05 PM
Well, put me down as a naysayer; it did nothing at all for me on a day of wretched cramps, and I was stuck in pain for hours waiting till I could take Advil without worrying about stomach upset or drug interaction. I've never tried it since. But that's me. Tylenol and Vicodin don't touch me either.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:12 PM
Another vote for Aleve. I love it, and cannot be without it. It gets rid of my cramps and my tension headaches. I think I have three bottles stashed strategically around my home and classroom.

FB
Old 07-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett67
I was once on the prescription version of Aleve (Anaprox, I forget the dose but they were horse pills) for cramps that had been putting me to bed for two days every month, and it worked very well. After a while I was able to quit taking it, and I have never taken the OTC version (or anything else, for that matter) for cramps since. Use that information as you will.
Yes, I took it prescription strength as Naproxen a while back, (I had spent about a week in bed and bled for 21 days straight, so they put me on The Pill, too) and it was great.

Now a days I consume generous amounts of hot tea, sit on a vibrating pillow (or have it in the small of my back), or use a heated sock of rice (dry rice, cotton sock, 2 min in the microwave oven).
Old 07-09-2004, 03:12 PM
I used to take prescription naproxen (Mylan or Anaprox) and it worked very well. My prescription has since run out and I've lazy about getting my parents to refill it (it's in MA and I live in IL) so I take Aleve. The prescription dosage I had for cramps was 500 mg, though-so now I have to take 2 Aleves to get the same effect as 1 prescription pill.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:12 PM
I think it's going to depend on the person. Having heard friends raving about how great it was, I got a prescription for the strong version of Aleve. It didn't even touch my cramps. It was like taking nothing at all, and since I had taken it, couldn't take anything else for hours.

Since then, I've decided to stick with ibuprofen. I take four, because my doctor gave me a prescription for the 800 mg ones, and it's just cheaper for me to buy a huge bottle of the OTC ones and take four of them instead. It will usually hold me through the night, especially when combined with those heated pads you stick to the inside front of your underwear.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:25 PM
I usually prescribe Naproxen for cramps, and most gynecologists would consider it first line. It should work well, especially if ibuprofen gives you some pain relief. It doesn;t work for everyone, unfortunately, but it does for many, many women. As a male doctor, I thank my lucky stars I don't get stuff like this.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:29 PM
It doesn't even touch my pain. Only Advil or Tylenol will do for me.

My sister swears by Aleve, but I have never noticed it to do anything at all for my pain
Old 07-09-2004, 03:44 PM
Count me in the best-stuff-ever group.
I'm so regular that I can tell you to within a couple of hours when the cramps will start. So I take an Aleve the night before, and I don't wake up in the middle of the night. I've had less success with it on headaches and other pains.
Old 07-09-2004, 03:47 PM
Oh, and Alleve should work like Advil. Both naproxen and ibuprofen are anti-inflamatories (or NSAIDs). Tylenol is good for pain, but not swelling, and is not an anti-inflamatory.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:37 PM
Charter Member
In Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch, a pioneering work of feminism (seminal doesn't quite work for a feminist book,) Greer cites a source that says orgasm is a very effective way to stave off menstrual cramps. If your partner is squeamish, there's always the shower-massage, or your fingers. I gave away the book years ago, so I can't tell you who she cited. Sorry.
Old 07-09-2004, 04:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott
In Germaine Greer's The Female Eunuch, a pioneering work of feminism (seminal doesn't quite work for a feminist book,) Greer cites a source that says orgasm is a very effective way to stave off menstrual cramps. If your partner is squeamish, there's always the shower-massage, or your fingers. I gave away the book years ago, so I can't tell you who she cited. Sorry.
It works short term but it's pretty tough to have orgasms for eight straight hours while sleeping...
Old 07-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AskNott
Sorry, AskNott, I don't mean to go off on you when you're trying to be helpful, but I just knew I couldn't start a thread asking a specific question about a specific medication for relief of cramps without somebody chirping up about that stupid orgasm thing.

To hell with my "squeamish" partner. I'm gushing like a river (bright red blood dotted with slimy black clots) and my uterus is a like a tiny parasitic organism stirring in my pelvis, about to remind me who's boss. So of course, naturally, I'm thinking, "Hey, you know what'd be great right now! Masturbation!" Because excruciating pain in my reproductive organs always puts me in the mood for sexual fanatasy. I did actually bring myself to orgasm once with a vibrator when I felt some cramps cranking up, just to see if it would work, and it accomplished about what I expected to do: it took forever, my clit was sore, I felt that sense of emptiness that occurs when you come without any emotional satisfaction, and it did not a damn thing for the cramps. It's not "very effective." It does work for some women, but it doesn't work for others.

And all power to women who it does work for, but I find it mildly insulting that in every single thread about cramps, somebody's gotta suggest that you don't really need pain reliever, you just need sexual release. I can see why it's so . . . um . . .appealing to the male mind, and, uh, yeah, hurray for femiminsim and subverting the tryanny of the phallocentric pharmaceutical industry and all, but, seriously, I asked about Aleve.

Anyway, thanks to everyone for the information and advice. I'll get a small bottle in case it doesn't work, but I will try it out.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:18 PM
Charter Member
Aleve works great for me for headaches (except migraines, but that's a whole different story), muscle pain, etc. I love that it works all day or all night. However, my cramps laugh at Aleve. I must have ibuprofin for cramps - now they sell Advil liqui-gels at Costco so I stock up. If it's really bad, I take Tylenol with the Advil, about which I have spoken with my doctor. It's also important to know that Aleve and ibuprofin are chemically similar so you can't take them at the same time.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Paprika
Oh, and Alleve should work like Advil. Both naproxen and ibuprofen are anti-inflamatories (or NSAIDs). Tylenol is good for pain, but not swelling, and is not an anti-inflamatory.
If you're allergic to Aspirin and, therefore, have been advised not to take Ibuprofen or Naproxen, Women's Tylenol works great. It has a mile diuretic in it, which somehow relieves cramps.

YMMV, of course.
Old 07-09-2004, 07:29 PM
....mild diuretic......

Preview, Preview!!!
Old 07-10-2004, 01:20 AM
People who are allergic to aspirin are not necessarily allergic to other NSAIDs, including ibuprofen and Alleve. As said, they should try to avoid multiple NSAIDs (with the probable exception of those on chronic low dose aspirin for stroke or heart attack). Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is gentler on the stomach, particularly in those over age 55, who of course usually don't menstruate. I am glad Tylenol for Women does the trick for you.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:40 AM
pretty much any drug works on me... I prefer Advil(/ibuprofen) & Aleve(/naproxen) over the others almost interchangeably for pain-in-general, but Aleve's all I'll take for cramps. granted, I've never really have gotten gut-wrenching cramps; the most I ever have is sickening, just-painful-enough-to-be-annoying sort of pulling sensation in what I assume is my uterus. still, Aleve essentially eliminates the discomfort, whereas any other over-the-counter just dulls it.