Old 07-17-2004, 03:05 PM
Meaning of Freda Payne's song, "Band of Gold"

Lyrics here

I've been listening to this song for over thirty years, and I just realized that I don't know what the hell Freda is singing about.

What's the problem here? Can't he perform? Is he gay? What?
Old 07-17-2004, 03:08 PM
He left her.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:22 PM
Yep, he was a player.
Old 07-17-2004, 03:23 PM
To my understanding, the song is about impotence. He can't perform.

Quote:
Hoping soon that you'll walk
Back through that door
And love me like you tried before
Bolding mine.
Old 07-17-2004, 05:55 PM
I never had the impression it's about a cheating husband, or that he's literally absent.

He's physically inattentive (for whatever reason) and has been from the start.

There's that line about kissing at the wedding, but "that night on our honeymoon, we each slept in separate rooms."

When she sings about him "coming through the door," she's waiting in "her lonely room." She's not talking about the front door.

It's a song about a passionless marriage. Maybe he's impotent, maybe he's gay, maybe he finds her unappealing or threatening, but whatever his deal is, she's not getting any nookie.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:15 PM
<sigh>

They just don't make songs like that anymore.
Old 07-17-2004, 07:40 PM
Sounds like impotence to me.

I have it on a '70s compilation I got as a present. That's one song that actually sounds better on an old car radio over AM than it does on CD.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:45 PM
I always took the lyrics to mean that he left her, but after reading them--and noticing words I never noticed before--it's seems he is impotent...and awfully embarrased about it. Now that I think about it--he could have been gay. It's hard to tell one way or the other.

All I know is I tear up every single time I hear that song.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:49 PM
I always thought she had the problem, she was too young or too scared or something to respond so he left her alone on the wedding night and pretty soon gave up on the marriage altogether and buggered off somewhere. Now she's had time to mature and think it over she knows that she does really want him after all so that's why she's

Hoping soon that you'll walk
Back through that door
And love me like you tried before

Basically she's stuffed, as a married woman she's not supposed to hook up with anyone else, and anyway she really does want her husband now, hence the loneliness.
Old 07-17-2004, 08:53 PM
Preview would like to be my friend if I didn't go and click submit instead. What I meant to add is that I've never understood these lines:

You took me from the shelter of a mother I had never known
Who loved any other........

Italics mine, well, who is she talking about here?
Old 07-17-2004, 09:09 PM
You've misheard/misremembered the lyrics. It's:

You took me from the shelter of my mother
I had never known or loved another

ie; She was a virgin bride. (How quaint!)
Old 07-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Please, it's obvious. As Larry indicated she was a virgin bride, but her hymen was too rugged to allow him penetrate her. He tried, but couldn't, and now he's given up on the relationship while she pines for him to come through the "front door" and fill her "empty room"
Old 07-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mudd
You've misheard/misremembered the lyrics. It's:

You took me from the shelter of my mother
I had never known or loved another

ie; She was a virgin bride. (How quaint!)
Aah I got "who" from the lyrics in the link, no wonder I thought it was odd.
Old 07-18-2004, 11:36 AM
The Steamiest duet I've ever seen was between Freda Payne and Bobby Darin.
I needed a cold shower after that one!
It was on Bobby Darin's Summer Amusement Show, circa '71?