Old 06-07-2000, 08:13 AM
I donated blood last night (and for those of you that don't you should!) and a thought came to me when the nurse was reading me all the restrictions afterwards. No drinking, no smoking, no lifting heavy objects, yadda yadda yadda.

What would by the physiological response to sex after giving blood? Would an erection be harder to get and maintain, as less blood would be available to rush to the area? Or would the blood still get there, leaving you with less blood elsewhere and an orgasmic increase similar to auto-erotic asphyxiation? And if there are any studies on this, just how can I join? ;-)
Old 06-07-2000, 09:10 AM
Your fluid levels increase back to normal within hours. So your hydraulic pressure shouldn't be a problem.

You might get winded depending on how intense your lovemaking is from lessened O2 carrying capacity.

The thing I'd worry about is the increased blood pressure. I once donated, then practiced softball the next day. The day after that, I had a huge subcutanious bleed all up and down my left arm. It wasn't dangerous, but it sure looked freaky.

If you do it the same day, you also might blow the clot and start bleeding outside your body. Again, not life-threatening, but it might freak out your mate.
Old 06-07-2000, 10:04 AM
Charter Member
gee, the clinics I go to just offer cookies and soft drinks after donating blood.