Old 08-12-2004, 10:20 PM
MASH-Hawkeye's marital status

Ok, in the movie, Hawkeye was married. In the book, Hawkeye was married. Richard Hooker, the author of the book, who based Hawkeye on himself, was married. But, in the TV series, Hawkeye is single. Does anyone know why they made the change? Was it just that the TV series, while it could show a lecherous Hawkeye, didn't want to show a lecherous, adulterous Hawkeye?
Old 08-12-2004, 10:27 PM
I'd guess that that's exactly it. I recall one episode in particular where Hawkeye breaks off a romantic exchange because he notices a wedding ring on his girl's finger.

"You're a married madam, madam!"
Old 08-12-2004, 10:28 PM
BANNED
They didn't have any problems with a lecherous, adulterous Frank, Trapper or Henry Blake so I can't imagine there'd be a problem with showing a lecherous, adulterous Hawkeye. Having him single opens up some storylines that are otherwise foreclosed and any marital storylines can be assigned to one of the other three leads.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:41 PM
Hmmm. It never really occurred to me.

Thing is, Trapper John McIntyre was married, but in the series, he was portrayed as having his share of liasons with assorted nurses. Frank Burns was married, and liked to play himself as The Upholder of Decency and Morality, but yet spent much of his off-duty time in the sack with Hot Lips Houlihan.

But then, neither one of them was what you would really call lecherous. True, Trapper seemed to have no compunctions about seeking extramarital companionship, but it seemed to me to be more a function of being several thousands of miles away from home, and it was apparent from a couple of episodes that he did love his wife and looked forward to returning home to her. It was also implied at least once that he suspected that she was also enjoying male companionship in his absence, but didn't hold it against her. (I can't remember which episode it was, a drunken Trapper was hitting on a nurse and when she protested, "but you're married", he replied, "That's alright, so's my wife") And Frank Burns was in love with Margaret. What she saw in that sniveling little weasel, I'll never know.

Hawkeye, though, seemed to be on the prowl on an almost constant basis, so it does seem likely that the TV series portrayed him as single because the network didn't like the idea of a married character actively seeking, on a continual basis, casual liasons with other women.

When the big one drops and we're living on rats and dandelions I want you in my mutant army! - astro
Old 08-12-2004, 11:49 PM
IIRC, Alan Alda required that at least one scene of every episode take place in an operating room before he agreed to take the role. Perhaps Alda also insisted that Hawkeye be single as well.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:06 AM
BANNED
The marital infidelity bothered Mike Farrel when he joined, and he insisted that his character be completely faithful to his wife. Though tempted once, BJ Hunnicut was completely faithful for the entire run of the series, and I believe so was Colonel Potter, though I'm not as sure about him.
Old 08-13-2004, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Number Six
The marital infidelity bothered Mike Farrel when he joined, and he insisted that his character be completely faithful to his wife. Though tempted once, BJ Hunnicut was completely faithful for the entire run of the series, and I believe so was Colonel Potter, though I'm not as sure about him.
IIRC, Potter mentioned being unfaithful to his wife during one of his tours in a prior war, but that it bothered him greatly and he never did it again. Certainly, there was a female character that Potter had a flitatious banter with, but it was more of a close friendship with someone of the opposite sex who'd been through similar experiences, than an actual desire to have an affair.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:43 AM
IIRC B.J. did "Fall off the fidelity wagon" as Hawkeye put it in one episode. He had a one-nighter with a nurse who was also very lonely, once again, IIRC.
Old 08-13-2004, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerfan
IIRC, Potter mentioned being unfaithful to his wife during one of his tours in a prior war, but that it bothered him greatly and he never did it again. Certainly, there was a female character that Potter had a flitatious banter with, but it was more of a close friendship with someone of the opposite sex who'd been through similar experiences, than an actual desire to have an affair.
That was the episode in which Potter found out his son-in-law (stationed in Korea) was having an affair and it was the reason he didn't kill him. There was a multi-married Gypsy Rose Lee style burlesque queen who had the major hots for Sherman in one episode who also tempted him. Charles once fell in love with a hooker whom he exalted in his mind, but that's the only romance I can think of his character having.
Old 08-13-2004, 01:29 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
Charles once fell in love with a hooker whom he exalted in his mind, but that's the only romance I can think of his character having.
Charles also came back from a drunken visit to Tokyo to discover he had married a rather charming Red Cross worker.

Hawkeye had never married in the TV series, but he had a "love of his life" -- a nurse played by Blythe Danner.

As I recall, in the first season Henry was actually cheating on his wife, but in the later seasons he was on, they wrote him more as suffering from middle-age-guy crushes, but not really doing anything.

And according to Margaret, "Frank Burns was a lipless wonder."
Old 08-13-2004, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kunilou
Charles also came back from a drunken visit to Tokyo to discover he had married a rather charming Red Cross worker.
Charles also fell deeply in love with a French woman (red cross? UN? I donít remember). He was about to propose when she revealed she hadnít been actually married to the man Charles thought was her (now dead) husband. He was devastated and broke off their affair because he didnít think his family would be able to accept a woman who had lived with a man outside of marriage.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:03 PM
BANNED
Potter was also tempted by a touring USO actress, which gave Radar fits.

Hawkeye had another "love of his life" with a Korean woman who he thought initially was a local "princess" but turned out to be taking care of a number of refugees and family members.

Charles never actually married the Red Cross worker in Tokyo. The "priest" was a bartender.

Other romantic entanglements on the show off the top of my head included Margaret's on again-off again fling with a soldier who kept getting promoted and demoted (Sully?), a nurse who had a crush on Father Mulcahy and Henry's infatuation with a young woman who ended up hitting on Hawkeye. And of course Hawkeye and Margaret knocked boots in one two-part episode.
Old 08-13-2004, 02:04 PM
BANNED
Oh! And the Swedish doctor played by Mariette Hartley was another of Hawkeye's "love of his lifes."
Old 08-13-2004, 03:34 PM
Didn't Klinger get married at the end of the series? Although, I seem to recall that he (in one of the "documentary-style" episodes) mentioned having a girl back home.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by av8rmike
Didn't Klinger get married at the end of the series? Although, I seem to recall that he (in one of the "documentary-style" episodes) mentioned having a girl back home.
Klinger got married to his sweetheart back home (Laverne) via telephone and proxy, then got a Dear Max letter at some point and got divorced (I think she fell in love with a friend of his), then he married a Korean woman at the end of the series and stayed in Korea for a while.
Old 08-13-2004, 03:56 PM
The name Soon-lee (sp?) comes to mind as Klingers Korean sweetheart. And I'm pretty sure he did get a Dear Max letter, sometime after marrying Laverne via wireless or phone.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:12 PM
BANNED
Klinger also fell for a lieutenant who broke his heart because she was only in it for the laughs.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
Other romantic entanglements on the show off the top of my head included Margaret's on again-off again fling with a soldier who kept getting promoted and demoted (Sully?),
I thought ol' HotLips married that guy and broke it off with Frank.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:56 PM
I don't remember Margaret marrying Sully, but she did marry, Donald Penobscott. This, I believe is what caused Frank to go crazy.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:30 PM
I believe Mike Farrel had in his contract that he must be shown jumping over a shark at least once each episode.
Old 08-13-2004, 05:32 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhiannon8404
I don't remember Margaret marrying Sully, but she did marry, Donald Penobscott.
That's Lieutenant Colonel Donald Penobscott. Of West Point.

Sully was after her divorce. The only guy Margaret slept with while married (other than Donald, one assumes, although he was in that body cast for the honeymoon) was Hawkeye.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:37 PM
In the "CeaseFire" episode, (Season One, Episode twenty-three), Hawkeye claims he is married to avoid relationship promises he made to three single nurses.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:42 PM
Okay, my head just slightly blew up. I actually read a bunch of those books before I watched the TV series; and I only watched the series casually. So all along I've assumed Hawkeye was married, which made one episode I recall (he and Hot Lips are under fire somewhere and get it on, I think?) particularly dramatic for me.

Well what the heck.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port123 View Post
In the "CeaseFire" episode, (Season One, Episode twenty-three), Hawkeye claims he is married to avoid relationship promises he made to three single nurses.
Thank you, thank you.

I've been waiting seven years for that explanation.

mmm
Old 11-21-2011, 09:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
Okay, my head just slightly blew up.
Which means it's leaking braaaaiiiinssss...
Old 11-22-2011, 12:08 AM
Sith Mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Thank you, thank you.

I've been waiting seven years for that explanation.

mmm
You can finally stop checking this thread every day.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:25 PM
Hawkeye also fell in love with a Korean woman, educated in Paris, who was responsible for the care of what remained of her village. She eventually had to evacuate with her people to the South, and so she and Hawkeye bid adieu.

It was a very bittersweet episode.

~VOW

(whups! already mentioned!)

Last edited by VOW; 11-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by VOW View Post

(whups! already mentioned!)
Yep, quite some time ago. Geesh, aren't you caught up yet?
Old 11-23-2011, 03:01 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto View Post
That's Lieutenant Colonel Donald Penobscott. Of West Point.

Sully was after her divorce. The only guy Margaret slept with while married (other than Donald, one assumes, although he was in that body cast for the honeymoon) was Hawkeye.
There were actually two actors who played Penobscott. Penobscott was supposed to be from a wealthy northern family, yet the second actor sounded very southern, like Elvis.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrMemory View Post
IIRC B.J. did "Fall off the fidelity wagon" as Hawkeye put it in one episode. He had a one-nighter with a nurse who was also very lonely, once again, IIRC.
The nurse had just received a "Dear Jane" letter from her stateside husband. She regarded the event as helping a lonely friend through a bad night, and not as an invitation to an affair.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maserschmidt View Post
Okay, my head just slightly blew up. I actually read a bunch of those books before I watched the TV series; and I only watched the series casually. So all along I've assumed Hawkeye was married, which made one episode I recall (he and Hot Lips are under fire somewhere and get it on, I think?) particularly dramatic for me.

Well what the heck.
There are two distinct sets of books. The first set is really by Hooker, and after the war Hawkeye and the whole crew go to Maine (where Democrat is a curse) and open up a combined clinic/bait shop. The second set, written by someone other than Hooker though his name is on them, has the TV series cast in various exotic locales.

I don't recall Hawkeye being married in the subsequent real books, but I don't doubt he is married in the first one. As for why he isn't married in the series, it makes sense to not have all your leading characters identical in this respect - married and cheating. Trapper was plenty good enough for that role.