Old 09-23-2004, 01:23 AM
Sleep is a waste of time

Does anyone else dread sleep as much as I do? It's such a waste of time, I could be doing many other entertaining things, or productive things, rather than sleeping.

I hate sleeping.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:55 AM
I love sleeping. Then again I'm a slacker and feel no guilt over having wasted a whole day doing nothing but gaming and/or reading. Sleep is my best friend. Can I have your sleep, ccwaterback?
Old 09-23-2004, 01:58 AM
Sleep always feels productive to me. There are times when I'll willingly delay my sleep, such as when talking to or spending time with someone I am fond of, but I always like the sleep itself. I can see how someone might find sleep wasteful, however.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:12 AM
Hell no. Hook me up to Zion and let me power the world's electric grid or something.

I love sleep. Life is what I do in between naps.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:14 AM
I hate the amount of time sleeping takes out of your life. If you sleep 8 hours a day, by the time you're 60 you will have slept 20 years of it away. On the other hand, going through life without enough sleep is no good either, at least not for me. Why be awake if you're going to have dulled senses and be in a mental fog? So I sleep as much as I feel like I need to, but I wish I didn't have to give up the hours.

(I always thought Frank Sinatra's brain must have released the same chemicals naturally that cocaine produces in the brains of those who take it. He was a high-energy guy with tons of confidence and by all accounts often went two or three days without sleep.)

I have found out though, that if you force yourself to stay up that once you get past that 21st or 22nd hour you begin to revive and for the rest of the day you feel pretty much like you normally do at that same time every day, even going to bed late if that's your normal routine. But still, you have a mental buzz on for most of the day that I don't really like so I don't do it very often.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:18 AM
Oh, God, I wish I could sleep again.

I used to think I just resisted changing states - if I were awake, I'd want to stay up, and if I were asleep, I'd want to stay in bed. Nowadays, if I can actually sleep for more than a few hours at a time, I consider it a blessed reprieve. There are times (like now, for instance) when I'd like nothing more than to be able to sleep, but I can't.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:26 AM
Well I do feel better when I have had enough sleep, but I hate wasting so much time.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:31 AM
Charter Member
By around 9:30 PM every night I want my blanky and pillow. I like sleepy time a lot! Course I also get up around 5 AM every morning cause I just love the early morning predawn time to drink coffee, read my morning paper and sit on my back porch and watch daylight come. Or, I can go to work at 6 AM and get more done by 8:30 AM than I sometimes can during regular office hours.

Why, yes, I am, in fact, very much a morning person.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampbear
By around 9:30 PM every night I want my blanky and pillow. I like sleepy time a lot! Course I also get up around 5 AM every morning cause I just love the early morning predawn time to drink coffee, read my morning paper and sit on my back porch and watch daylight come. Or, I can go to work at 6 AM and get more done by 8:30 AM than I sometimes can during regular office hours.

Why, yes, I am, in fact, very much a morning person.
I'm a 9:30 - 5:30 sleeper myself. Don't get me wrong--I'd love to sleep from 8:00 pm to 9:30 am (sleep is so yummy), but (a) when I try to go to bed at 8:00, SkipMagic comes in and wakes me up just to make fun of me*, (b) getting up at 5:30 allows me to beat the morning rush-hour traffic to work, and (c) because of me, the dogs are awake and eagerly awaiting their morning pee-pee time by 5:30, and knowing that makes it hard for me to sleep later than that (tho' on the weekends, I do go back to bed after I let them out).

I read somewhere that creative people require more sleep than other people, which is kind of a Catch-22, because--ahem--we "creatives" are constantly torn between precious sleep and staying up until 4 am to create. But I still like the theory. It validates me.

*Tonight I'm taking him to the airport to catch a 7:30 flight for a 4-day trip. You think I'm not going to bed immediately upon arriving back home? Oh, yeah, baby, four nights of interruption-free early bedtimes!
Old 09-23-2004, 09:55 AM
I have no like or dislike of sleeping. Staying in bed under a nice comforter is nice - sleep does not have to be involved, the cuddliness of the comforter is nice enough.

When I do sleep, it is always restless - I have to try my best to relax before I settle in for the night, or else it's worse - but I am always restless, and half-awake several times a night. And when this happens, I have to fight not to look at the clock - because then it's a self-fulfilling prophecy - because I don't believe I'll get enough sleep, I won't get enough sleep. Anyway, I just changed my sleep schedule in the past couple weeks to do midnight to seven, which seems to work better for me than 1 to 8, for some reason. At least now I get up at seven and do some light weight workouts before I go in to work.

Oh - and for some reason I always sleep better when I am away from home - with most people, I believe, it is the opposite.

Susan
Old 09-23-2004, 05:15 PM
I often find myself reluctant to get into bed but once I'm there, it's bliss. Don't know what that's about. I like to sleep in too because that's when I have my most memerable dreams.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:21 PM
I play video games. So there are times when sleep is a waste of time, and I don't bother with it. Then you collapse & when you finally wake up and realize all your dreams were CGI and then...

Well I guess I don't have a point.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:22 PM
I generally don't sleep more than four or five hours a night. On the other hand, I haven't really found anything productive or useful to do with my time. Someone once told me that I have insomnia because I want to be awake and not miss anything. Possible, I suppose, I do enjoy it.

*waves* Hiya, auntie em!! Missed ya. Was afraid Skippy'd buried you in the cellar.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:23 PM
Going to bed is a waste of time. Sleep is fricking valuable. I looooong for actual sleep
Old 09-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Charter Member
I have vivid, colourful dreams, and I have often thought that my sleep, my dreams are my second life. I feel that life is largely about the experiences you have, and my dreams provide me with just as much of those as day-time life. Ideally, dreamlife and daylife enrich each other.

Deep sleep isn't much fun, because I don't experience it. That's why, when I can sleep late, I prefer to have the snoozebuttom wake me every 10 minutes. That semi-sleep-state, cosy and warm, is the best.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:38 PM
Charter Member
Maureen, can you get by on 4-5 hours sleep a night?
Old 09-23-2004, 05:54 PM
I absolutely love sleeping, but I do wish that days were longer, say, 28 hours rather than 24. That way, I wouldn't feel like I was wasting time while I was sleeping, and I would (theoretically anyway, but probably not in real life) be able to get more done.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:55 PM
Have since I was about 5 or so. With occasional bouts of insomnia thrown in for good measure. There have been times when I've gotten a full night of sleep, but usually when I:
A) Have jet lag, and my body is adjusting
B) Take a pill (I hate taking pills..how ironic, as I now seem to be stuck with it)
C) Am sick as a dog, and cannot do anything but lay there and drip fluids.
Old 09-23-2004, 06:15 PM
I love to sleep.

While I'm asleep, I don't have to worry, work, or feel guilty about not working.

What's not to like?

(Yes, my life sucks right now. It should get better soon.)

Also, sometimes I wake up in the morning, and, as always, my first thoughts are of work, and suddenly I know the solution to an intractable problem. Sleep is not wasted. You are not conscious, but your brain isn't inactive, either.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:37 PM
I sleep alot. Can't help it. I'm just so tired all the time. I sleep from 10pm to 530 am then when I get home I will take another nap for 2 hours, wake up and do some errands if need be, then right back to sleep again.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccwaterback
Does anyone else dread sleep as much as I do? It's such a waste of time, I could be doing many other entertaining things, or productive things, rather than sleeping.

I beg to differ.
Well. I assume you already know it's not a waste of time inasmuchas...if you don't sleep you go insane and die. So it's right up there with wastes of time like breathing and eating.

But even as far as productivity and entertainment...dreaming is not only essential for your more complex sort of brains to not go insane...I've always found it very entertaining. You haven't?

It doesn't seem to me that your brain ceases to be productive just because it's asleep...seems part and parcel of a productive brain.
Old 09-23-2004, 10:46 PM
I don't seem to require much sleep (although I may be fooling myself) because I usually go to bed very late and get up early...2AM to about 7AM (-ish)

But I do love to fall asleep! I can go to sleep rather quickly and I love that minute or two when you know you are about to drift off. It just feels yummy...kind of like you are floating. If I go to bed early, say around 10PM, I usually wake up in the middle of the night...which I count as a bonus because I get to go to sleep again.
Old 09-24-2004, 02:21 AM
Holy monkey, I love sleep. Aside from taking a shit, it's the only 'me' time I seem to ever have.

Buenes noches,

Happy
Old 09-24-2004, 11:25 AM
I love sleeping, but hate going to bed.
I feel that there should be 30 hours in a day, maybe then I could get my precious 8 hours.
I am usually very sleepy when I get home, but become wide awake when it's about time to go to bed.
So I don't and therefore don't get enough sleep.
This is why I love weekends. (unless my neighbour decides to remodel his house at 8 AM)
Old 09-24-2004, 11:41 AM
Charter Member
If I never had to sleep I would be a happy camper. I don't dread sleep some much as I feel it would be time that could be spent doing more interesting stuff and I have always hated the idea that I might be missing something.

If I never had to sleep I could have finished reading Atlas Shrugged by now.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:44 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by smartini
But I do love to fall asleep! I can go to sleep rather quickly and I love that minute or two when you know you are about to drift off. It just feels yummy...kind of like you are floating.
Yes, yes, me too!! In fact, when I have to take narcotic pain killers for my kidneys I can feel that floating "about to drift into sleep" thing for up to a half-hour at a time. I'm very careful with my pills, as I like this feeling very much and can easily understand how one could get hooked.
Old 09-24-2004, 11:53 AM
I like sleep. Sleep hates me.
:stomps off to pound ccwaterback into oblivion for being an ungrateful git
Old 09-24-2004, 12:27 PM
Hate sleep.

Hate going to bed.

When I was a kid, I used to set my alarm for 3am, just so I could wake up and avoid more sleep. I'd wake up and just think.

Then I'd reset the alarm for 6.30 or whatever time I woke up for school.

I am the first one up, and last one to bed. I don't need an alarm and never hit the snooze when I used one.
Old 09-24-2004, 05:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbarian
I like sleep. Sleep hates me.
:stomps off to pound ccwaterback into oblivion for being an ungrateful git
I feel asleep in my comfy computer chair this morning. How's that for gratitude?
Old 09-24-2004, 06:03 PM
I swear I must be part cat.I love sleep,if I get less then 10 hours a day I feel denied 12 hours a day is a big plus for me. Im usually asleep by 8:30 A.M (I work night shift) and awake anywhere from between 7 P.M to 9 P.M depending on what stuff I need to get done then back out to work. My current record was a few years back, I fell asleep around 1 A.M on a Saturaday after work and slept straight on through till Sunday around 4 P.M
Old 09-24-2004, 11:03 PM
(insert "They Live" reference here)

Sleep, I hear, is for the weak. I prefer my bouts of weakness to be about 8 hours in length, personally. I also hear sleep is for the stupid, and I'd have to admit I'd be pretty impressed if I could meet someone who managed to *not* have to sleep at all (assuming they could do so and still be healthy. Jacking yourself up on stimulants doesn't count).

But yeah. No, as interesting as it is to hear the testimonies of people who've gone for long, long periods of time without sleep ("I can make the floor ripple with my mind!"), I rather like it, meself.

But enough about me, how are you?
*bamf*
Old 10-05-2004, 01:07 AM
Seems I have found a compatriot in my opinion:

Sleep. Those little slices of Death. How I loathe them.
- Edgar Allan Poe
Old 10-05-2004, 01:13 AM
And yet another:

How wonderful is death, death and his brother, Sleep!
- Shelly
Old 10-05-2004, 01:32 AM
I have... a love hate relationship with sleep. But is it really sleep that bothers me, or the fact that I have a place in the world that frowns upon sleep?

I love to sleep, I've slept 23 hours before, straight, without waking up (at least, not remembering it). After I woke up from that I felt dirty. I had to take a very thorough shower, and I had a bad taste in my mouth that I felt I had to wash out with many things.

But currently, I am hating sleep. Lately, I've been bombarded by a swarm of dreams every time I fall asleep. Ranging from smurfs, creating a black hole by dividing by zero in my calculator, eating clouds. I've also had some dreams that make me question my mental stability even more than I already do. Twice, I've had a dream which I've had an overcoming lust to tear apart and eat people. One of them I was just playing some sort of dream induced made up game that actually kind of looked like fun... maybe I'll invent such a game if I don't forget all the details of it. Then I got hungry. And... I tore apart and ate. I woke up hungry, and I still had the urge to tear apart and eat people.

Another, I was just some guy. With some other people. In a cave. Why we were there I don't know. Somehow there were guns involved, we were some military group. I turn into monster, tear apart, and eat. And I woke up instantly questioning my sanity.

And naturally, I dreamed about sex. I dreamed about a bunch of other crap. Too much crap to remember. These dreams were good. All of them I remembered, except one which I lost an eye, or maybe both. I have a fear of that.

But whenever I wake up in the morning, I'm completely disoriented by all these dreams, and most often if I don't get a grip on reality, I just fall asleep again.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Funny, I had this conversation just the other night with a friend of mine. It was about, oh, say, 3:00 in the morning, while we were studying in the library.

Me: "I have to go to bed. I don't want to go to bed. Sleep is so unproductive."
Friend: "I agree, sleep is wasted time."
Me: "I wish we didn't have to sleep. Wouldn't that be great? I could get so much done."
Friend: "Yes, but then there would be a higher standard of productivity. Since there wouldn't be sleep, people would expect 8 hours more work out of you per day, and there'd be no such thing as leisure time."

*pause to ponder*

Me: "I wish everyone else had to sleep."

Yup, that about sums up my feelings about sleep. I wouldn't protest at all to getting eight hours of sleep a night, if I could get everything accomplished in the other sixteen with room to spare. Unfortunately, such is not the case. Hence my four-hour-a-night sleeping pattern.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:56 AM
We seem to have a lot of insomniac dopers.

I am in the love it/hate it category. I would love it if I could actually get deep, restful sleep but either I wake up every frickin' hour or I have too much REM sleep and wake up tired from all the running around in my dreams.

Plus I usually always wake up in pain or the pain wakes me up in the middle of the night. In fact a good night's sleep for me usually means I only woke up 2 or 3 times, which doesn't happen enough. In fact last night was an every hour or less. I remember falling asleep a little after 11pm and then I was wide awake thinking I must have been asleep for hours and it was only 11:40pm. That went on all night, with me waking up and looking at the clock to see an hour or less had passed every time.

So, I would love sleep if I could actually get some.
Old 10-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Charter Member
I like sleep at a physical level, but intellectually, yes, I consider it a monumental waste of time. Can't we just have bodies that keep going?