Old 10-09-2004, 07:49 PM
How much does a 50lb bag of rice cost nowadays?

My wife and I are on a semi-fixed income now (I get paid in large chunks about once every quarter), so it really behooves us to buy in bulk. I'm doing some grocery budgeting, and was just curious what the going rate for a 50lb. bag of rice (at Sam's or Costco) is nowadays.

(Groceries are the one thing that online shopping/price searching isn't so good for ...)
Old 10-09-2004, 08:06 PM
IIRC it's around 10-15 dollars or so for a 50 lb bag @ SAMS

This guy thinks you'd be better off using an asian grocery store

Quote:
Also, the bulk "jasmine" rice sold in most grocery stores tastes nothing like jasmine rice grown in Thailand. I don't think it's even the same rice, but some sort of hybrid. The good stuff usually only come in 25 lb and up bags, but some decent stuff will come in 15 lbs and it's very affordable in your local asian grocery store. Here in Portland, OR we pay around $25 for a 50 lb bag of the highest costing/premium brand. Honestly, that bulk rice is dreadful and doesn't have the beautiful fragrance a decent jasmine rice will have (and you should still be able to taste and smell the "special" rice even if you cook it with chicken stock).
Old 10-09-2004, 08:58 PM
A 3 lb bag costs $0.99 at discount food places like Aldi or Save-a-lot. I have no idea about 50 lb bags.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Charter Member
I have no idea where Toadspitle Hill is, but here in the Northwest, we order from an outfit called Azure Standard.

Currently a 25 pound of plain old brown rice is 13.00 with free delivery to a fellow bulk buyer in town.

I'm big on stocking up and seldom ever have to go to a store unless it is to take advantage of loss leaders.

Even if you are not in the northwest, google on buying clubs or Co-op's in your area. It's a great way to save money and improve your diet at the same time.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:12 AM
Don't buy rice at costco. It's gross.

Goto an asian grocery store. A 50 lb bag'll run you 20 bucks at most.
Old 10-10-2004, 12:44 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by toadspittle
How much does a 50lb bag of rice cost nowadays?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My wife and I are on a semi-fixed income now (I get paid in large chunks about once every quarter), so it really behooves us to buy in bulk. I'm doing some grocery budgeting, and was just curious what the going rate for a 50lb. bag of rice (at Sam's or Costco) is nowadays.
In the Bay Area, around $18 (Jasmine). Sometime on sale for $17. Definitely buy this kind of item in bulk. 50 pounds will last a long time.