Old 10-17-2004, 05:40 PM
Desperately seeking a special CD player.

Well, I really couldn't think of anywhere else to ask.

I can't exercise to anything slower than 146-156 bpm. Slower music drives me nuts. Dynamix (and some other places too, maybe) stocks special CD's that have remixes at that speed, but they're expensive. I've seen the CD players instructors use; they have variable speed controls.

Is there a portable, personal, Walkman-type CD player that also has these controls???

Anise
Old 10-17-2004, 05:43 PM
I don't know about portable CD players, but I wonder if one could use PC software to make MP3s at the higher rate, and then you could use a portable MP3 player to play them.
Old 10-17-2004, 05:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim
I don't know about portable CD players, but I wonder if one could use PC software to make MP3s at the higher rate, and then you could use a portable MP3 player to play them.
This may not be what you mean, but Audacity (which is free) has a speed control option. You can speed up any track by whatever percentage you want. Of course, everything sounds like chipmunks on speed.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:08 PM
That sounds like maybe exactly what I had in mind. It saves the mp3 in the faster bpm format, so when you play it in any player it plays at the faster rate?
Old 10-17-2004, 07:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revtim
That sounds like maybe exactly what I had in mind. It saves the mp3 in the faster bpm format, so when you play it in any player it plays at the faster rate?
Once you've changed the speed, it stays changed, so, yes.

Of course, you could always "save as...".
Old 10-17-2004, 07:21 PM
There are no truly portable (ie wearable) players that I could find with pitch control. This is the closest portable CD player with pitch and tempo control. It's small but not really "wearable". You might want to try using a mini-disc player. Sound quality is excellent and they are wearable. (see link below)

PSD220 Portable CD Player

Quote:
An incredible practice tool. Dramatically change the tempo of any music CD, without affecting the music's key, in 1% increments from -33% to +50%. Select portions of music to continuously repeat, at normal or modified tempo, with the A-B loop function. The PSD220 is specifically designed for those situations that require tempo change only, such as aerobics, dance, and instrument practice. Unlike "pitch control" or "variable speed" features on some CD players, the PSD220's true tempo control can slow or speed the beats-per-minute without warping the music out of its original key. It includes analog and digital stereo outputs for connection to powered speakers or a recording device, 3-band EQ for tone balancing, CD-TEXT display, 3-way power, as well as a built-in mono speaker and a headphone jack with volume control.
Reviews
Sony MZE10 Portable Minidisc Player with 5 FREE Minidiscs SONMZE10
Old 10-17-2004, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anise
Is there a portable, personal, Walkman-type CD player that also has these controls???
Why not just buy CDs with faster music? A large amount of electronic music is about 180bpm. Honestly, I'd find listening to a familiar song artificially sped-up to be really weird.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathochist
Why not just buy CDs with faster music? A large amount of electronic music is about 180bpm. Honestly, I'd find listening to a familiar song artificially sped-up to be really weird.
Dynamix does have faster music, but it's very expensive. I'm just used to exercising to familiar sped-up songs-- that's mostly what they have, anyway. And if their stuff was downloadable as MP3's it would probably be worth getting an MP3 player... as it is, there are other places for the money to go right now. (Hmm... I wonder what that little green smiley EXACTLY means...) Anyway, I liked the Audacity idea.
Old 10-17-2004, 07:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anise
Dynamix does have faster music, but it's very expensive. I'm just used to exercising to familiar sped-up songs-- that's mostly what they have, anyway. And if their stuff was downloadable as MP3's it would probably be worth getting an MP3 player... as it is, there are other places for the money to go right now. (Hmm... I wonder what that little green smiley EXACTLY means...) Anyway, I liked the Audacity idea.
I mean regular CDs. Get a mix set by Paul Oakenfold or John Digweed. Play it in a regular CD player. It's no more expensive than any other CD. Why this focus on Dynamix' products?