Old 12-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Can I use plain ol' Windex on my interior car windows?

The inside windows of my '93 Toyota Corolla are getting kinda gummy, and I'm wondering if it would be OK to clean them with plain ol' Windex.

Is there some kind of coating I might strip off in doing so? Could it hurt the glass itself?

I was at Kragen, and they did sell a couple of window cleaners, one of which claimed to be good for cigarette smoke, which would imply it's for use on the inside, but that cleaner was somewhat pricey.

So what say you, Dopers?
Old 12-04-2004, 05:21 PM
If the windows are really gummy, use 409 (or similar cleaner) first, then windex. That's what I do, and I haven't wrecked my car windows yet.
Old 12-04-2004, 05:42 PM
Windex can hurt some types of window tint.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:06 PM
I've cleaned the interior surface of all the windows in my car with Windex, and there didn't appear to be any drawbacks whatsoever. I have an old-as-dirt '93 Honda Accord. No tint on the windows.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:32 PM
Charter Member
No tint here and that is what I do. Works fine. You may want to cover the top edge of your dashboard to be extra careful on that but I don't do that either.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:08 PM
I detail cars for a living. Cars, trucks, dump trucks, luxury sedans, all types. I use Windex/other generic window cleaners ON EVERYTHING. Inside, outside, dashboard, glass, tint, steering wheel, body (to loosen dirt and bugs before taking it into the car wash). I have NEVER had any problems whatsoever doing this. It works better than the other formulations that are made for degreasing, etc. Especially that gunk that builds up on the steering wheels. I've seen some pretty nasty things in cars, and window cleaner will clean just about all of it.
Old 12-04-2004, 07:41 PM
From http://windexglasscleaner.com/faqs.asp#6
Quote:
Can I use Windex« on my vehicle windows?
Yes, but it is best to clean automobile windows with Windex« cleaners when the surface is cool and out of direct sunlight whenever possible. You can use it on glass, chrome, stainless steel, plastic, and vinyl surfaces. You should avoid painted surfaces. On tinted windows, test in an inconspicuous spot first, since there are different qualities of tint. We recommend using Windex« Multi Task Wipes with Vinegar on tinted windows. Do not use on after-market tinted windows.
Window cleaner with ammonia can damage the tint, leaving it purple and nasty. Sometimes it takes more than once. Sometimes it doesn't happen right away. You could be damaging the tint now and the effects show up later, when the car has been exposed to some sun and is long gone from your shop.

Just be careful with the tint, please.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:49 PM
Inside and Outside of Auto Glass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure SF
The inside windows of my '93 Toyota Corolla are getting kinda gummy, and I'm wondering if it would be OK to clean them with plain ol' Windex.
Windex is good on glass but not on tint film. Use newspaper to wipe clean and dry.
A spray can of "Invisible Glass" is one of the best on glass.
And fill the windshield wiper tank with Rain-X anti freeeze washer fluid! Clear vision in rain!
Don't forget to clean the wiper blades.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by spingears
And fill the windshield wiper tank with Rain-X anti freeeze washer fluid! Clear vision in rain!
Don't forget to clean the wiper blades.
I agree with everything except the Rain-X in the washer fluid. Rain_X is a wax and the instructions say to put it on a dry windshield, let it dry and buff it off. Rain_X is not supposed to be applied on a wet windshield.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:31 PM
Rain-X makes a washer fluid.

I think that's what he was referring to.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:32 PM
Windex is good for cleaning everything inside and outside your car, and for many skin disorders. Got a zit? Put Windex on it.
Old 12-04-2004, 10:36 PM
RainX makes a brand of washer fluid, spingears was not suggesting adding plain RainX to your current fluid. I also believe that RainX is a liquid silicone, not a true wax and I'm sure it would be bad news added to your washer fluid

That said, I tried the RainX washer fluid once and hated it with a passion. Streaked like a mother. YMMV.

When my interior glass was really dirty, I'd wash it first with a sponge and a bucket. In the bucket, put water, a small amount of ammonia and a dash of dishwashing soap. That'll help get the heavy grime off without using up all your windex.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the input, everyone.

FTR, There's no tint on the glass (not even the blue strip along the top that some cars have), and I don't smoke in the car.
Old 12-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Pest Control

Windex also kills ants. It is basic and ants are acidic. It literally neutralizes them. Funny to watch, if your into that.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:31 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheesesteak
That said, I tried the RainX washer fluid once and hated it with a passion. Streaked like a mother. YMMV.
Ahhh, that's becuase you don't know the trick. According to the directions, you apply it, wait five mins, apply again and then wipe off with a towel or paper towel and a little bit of water. The trick is after the two coats clean the windshield as you would normally with windex (sometimes you have to repeat a few times. Your're right, done improperly, it streaks almost to the point of being dangerous. Done correctly, it's amazing. It's strange the first time you realize that you're driving down the highway at 55 mph in a downpour and you haven't turned on your wipers yet. It clears the rain off the window as fast, sometimes faster then, the wipers themselves. The drawbacks for me are that you can't really wash your windshield with the wipers since all the fluid just runs right off the window, it dosen't do much good when your going under 30 or when the rain drops are to small, and if you do need to use your wipers IME they chatter. But for me the benefits far outweight the problems.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey P
Ahhh, that's becuase you don't know the trick. According to the directions, you apply it, wait five mins, apply again and then wipe off with a towel or paper towel and a little bit of water.
I believe he meant the Rain-X washer fluid, not the traditional Rain-X windshield "stuff".
Old 12-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick
I agree with everything except the Rain-X in the washer fluid. Rain_X is a wax and the instructions say to put it on a dry windshield, let it dry and buff it off. Rain_X is not supposed to be applied on a wet windshield.
Please read post #8 again.
Quote:
"And fill the windshield wiper tank with Rain-X anti freeeze washer fluid! Clear vision in rain!"
Rain-X for windshields is NOT Rain-X ainti freeze washer fluid NOR the Rain-X concentrate to add to washer fluid!
The washer fluid eliminatex the hard cleaning/polishing of the original product.
Troy McClure SF: My apollogies. I missid the tint film in OP.

┬ź Previous Thread | Next Thread ┬╗