Old 12-10-2004, 08:28 PM
BANNED
what's the best bang-for-the-buck in a sub-$200 acoustic guitar?

I want to buy a new acoustic guitar - just something simple and serviceable. I'm tired of looking in pawn shops at overpriced, beat-up pieces of crap.

What's the best guitar I can buy for $150 to $200 at my local Guitar Center or Sam Ash?
Old 12-10-2004, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freejooky
I want to buy a new acoustic guitar - just something simple and serviceable. I'm tired of looking in pawn shops at overpriced, beat-up pieces of crap.

What's the best guitar I can buy for $150 to $200 at my local Guitar Center or Sam Ash?
If it's an option for you, I picked up a Yamaha FD02 package (gig bag, stand, xtra strings) at Costco for $180.
Old 12-10-2004, 09:10 PM
If you are going to buy a guitar at Guitar Center, look up prices and reviews at MusiciansFriend first. I believe Guitar Center will match prices from MusiciansFriend if you print out the page and bring it in.

I got my electric guitar from Guitar Center for about $200 lower than what they were asking, because MusiciansFriend was having a really good sale.

My acoustic is an old Yamaha, and I really should get a new guitar myself, but I like Yamahas. I suggest looking playing a Yamaha FG series, I've heard some good things about them.
Old 12-10-2004, 10:27 PM
I have a decent little black Washburn acoustic that I picked up at my local shop a few years back (Ok, maybe like 7 or so) for about $175 (Canadian).

Had it for years, and plays just fine for my level (which is quite low I might add... in fact the instrument is probably above me).
Old 12-11-2004, 12:17 AM
Takemine G240 acoustic. Run you around 200 bucks.
Old 12-11-2004, 12:25 PM
Charter Member
honestly - any guitar that you like in terms of playability and looks that cost that much should be fine.

Just make sure when you buy it that:

- the neck is straight - sight down the neck (have a person at the store do it) and compare the straightness of the fingerboard to the plumb line of the strings. There should be no twisting, and basic straightness - some folks like a little bow (a slight, slight curve at the middle of the neck, away from the strings - but barely noticeable).

- the action (distance from strings to neck) is comfortable.

- the intonation is accurate. Tune the guitar - put new strings on it at the store before buying it if the existing strings are dirty and old. Tune it up - play an E and an A. Then play a D and G - does everything sound in tune? Then play chords up the neck - do they sound in tune? Have the clerk do this if you aren't sure.

Playability is far more important than most other stuff with a guitar.....tone actually comes second, imho...
Old 12-11-2004, 07:17 PM
Charter Member
Does anyone know if this guitar is any good? They play the infomercial for it on cable about 50 times a day here!
Old 12-12-2004, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkbites
Does anyone know if this guitar is any good? They play the infomercial for it on cable about 50 times a day here!
Interestingly, this was discussed in this thread.