Old 12-30-2004, 11:20 AM
A synonym for 'honeymoon'?

The title says it all, really. Isn't there a synonym for the word 'honeymoon' in english?
Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
I'm not aware of one and even an online synonym finder drew a blank.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:26 AM
Lastfrequentsextime.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:53 PM
The closest I can come up with is 'wedding night', which isn't right even if you exclude the goat.

(Although why you'd leave your blushing (brushing?) bride in the lurch is beyond me, even if Lurch is well-behaved that evening.)

So this verbiophage is speechless.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:02 PM
While I do find Lastfrequentsextime useful, I'm not sure i can use it in our brochure. How 'bout conjugalitycruise? 'Why not conjugalitycruise in Iceland?'

...I dunno.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Honeymoon is attested in English from 1546 (according to here as I don't have access to the OED). Apparently 'honey' refers to the sweet, happy time immediately after marriage, and 'moon' (in the sense of 'month') that it does not last long. So the term itself is rather tongue-in-cheek, keeping in mind that a writer in 1546 (or 1946) couldn't write lastfrequentsextime either.

French and German both have a more literal term for honeymoon: le voyage des noces 'wedding trip' in French and die Hochzeitreise 'wedding trip' in German. But there are also figurative terms; French has la lune de miel and German has der Honigmond, which both mean 'honeymoon'. German also has Flitterwochen which means 'tinsel weeks'.

I actually recently wanted a synonym for 'honeymoon', because I wanted to use the idea figuratively without using the usual term -- but I didn't find anything either. If you want a synonym, 'wedding trip', 'wedding journey', 'wedding holiday', etc. is probably the best choice; if you think your readers will know some French and find it romantic, lune de miel might be an option too.
Old 12-30-2004, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by UselessGit
The title says it all, really. Isn't there a synonym for the word 'honeymoon' in english?
"Sweet Lunacy"?
Library Reference Desk says: Apparently there is NO syonym after an extensive search.
Definition/description:
Honeymoon The month after marriage, or so much of it as is spent away from home; so called from the practice of the ancient Teutons of drinking honey-wine (hydromel) for thirty days after marriage. Attila, the Hun, indulged so freely in hydromel at his wedding-feast that he died.
"It was the custom of the higher order of the Teutons ... to drink mead or metheglin (a beverage made from honey) for thirty days after every wedding. From this comes the expression `to spend the honeymoon.' " - W. Pulleyn: Etymological Compendium, 8, 9, p. 142. Source: Brewer's Dictionary."

Hence: Consuming mead (hydromel/mead/metheglin) for a lunar (28 day) month AKA 'Moon' = Honeymoon"
Old 12-31-2004, 06:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roches
I actually recently wanted a synonym for 'honeymoon', because I wanted to use the idea figuratively without using the usual term -- but I didn't find anything either. If you want a synonym, 'wedding trip', 'wedding journey', 'wedding holiday', etc. is probably the best choice; if you think your readers will know some French and find it romantic, lune de miel might be an option too.
That's pretty much what I'm trying to do; 'use the idea figuratively without using the usual term', I just didn't know what I was looking for until you said it since I'm a little underfurnished in the English-department. So you didn't find anything, huh? We're trying to keep the text pretty basic (for the Germans and such) so I doubt I'd get away with using french but thanks for the advice. Hell, I wasn't even allowed to use the phrase 'adolescent archipelago' as it might confuse prospective clients.

Incidentally, I've actually had Mjodur, a traditional Viking honey-brew, on several occasions and while it doesn't taste bad, I couldn't even drink it for an evening--let alone a month.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:23 AM
Charter Member
The word Honeymoon has nothing to do with mead.

http://wordorigins.org/wordorh.htm#honeymoon
http://word-detective.com/041798.html#honeymoon

The word refers to the short period between forming a relationship, and the first disagreements within the relationship. It can mean the relationship between newlyweds, business partners or a newly (re)elected politician. So, alternative words for honeymoon :

period of grace.

holiday for newlyweds.