Old 01-25-2005, 12:09 PM
How much space should I expect to "lose" on a new 160GB HDD?

OK, first off, this is not the 137 GB Windows limit issue. My bios isn't very old either, but I am looking for an update while this posts.

I installed a 160 GB hard drive, but windows shows considerably less space available on that drive.

I know to expect some space to be "lost" because of the way manufacturers represent disk space in their marketing (the 1000 MB Gig).

My question is, how much of a difference should I expect between a drive advertised as being 160GB, and the actual available space (when used as secondary storage -no o/s.)?
Old 01-25-2005, 12:24 PM
My 160GB shows up in windows as 149GB.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:26 PM
The problem arises in decimal vs. binary notation. They like to say there is 160 GB, and to them, 1 GB = 1,000,000,000 bytes (10^9.) In actuality, a GB is 2^30 power, or 1,073,741,824 bytes.

If we divide 16*10^9 by 16*2^30, we get 0.93, a 7% loss of space. So in reality you have about 149 GB.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Crap.

That's exactly what I got. Oh well, the good news is I installed the drive correctly and have no bios issues.

The bad news is I pine for those 11 Gigs...

Thanks folks.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Oh, not to hijack this too much, but my IBM hard drive shows up as 123 GB. Can someone expplain this? (And it was marketed as a 120 GB hard drive, which would make me think there was 111 GB, but somehow I got 3 more.) And it's not jsut 120*2^30 either, because that nets me with 128 GB.
Old 01-25-2005, 12:59 PM
As my father is fond of saying, "some people would bitch if you hanged them with a new rope." Criminy, you get an extra 3x2^28 bytes for free. I remember when we struggled to have enough kilobytes Yeah, yeah, I realize you were not complaining I just had to go in old coot mode for a minute there.

I think IBM just took the more ethical route used the number of true gigabytes then rounded it[down] to the nearest round number rather than calling 10^9 a gigabyte in labelling their drive.
Old 01-25-2005, 03:49 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padeye
I think IBM just took the more ethical route used the number of true gigabytes then rounded it[down] to the nearest round number rather than calling 10^9 a gigabyte in labelling their drive.
I'll go along with that, having been the proud owner of a 40 (43) gig IBM drive