Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 02-19-2005, 08:53 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: British Columbia
Posts: 612
Term for fractions of a Euro

What do you call a portion of a Euro? Cents? How would you say E0.63 for example?
#2
Old 02-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: South Bay
Posts: 80,518
Wikipedia is always a good place to start:

Quote:
The euro is divided into 100 cent (in Greece, the name leptó, plural leptá is used instead). The form "cent" is officially used in the singular and in the plural (see the relevant section below).
#3
Old 02-19-2005, 09:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 4,710
Sixty Three cents. 100 cents in a Euro.

Click - scroll down and on the left are images of Euro cents; 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50.
#4
Old 02-19-2005, 09:45 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Near the GT eeehhhh...
Posts: 27,334
Man, that UK euro prototype coin has got to have one of the worst portraits of the Queen that I have ever seen! If the UK does eventually switch to the euro, I sure hope they come up with a better design...
__________________
Rigardu, kaj vi ekvidos.
Look, and you will begin to see.
#5
Old 02-20-2005, 12:14 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Dublin, Ireland
Posts: 2,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Kobayashi
Sixty Three cents. 100 cents in a Euro.

Click - scroll down and on the left are images of Euro cents; 1, 2, 5, 10, 20 and 50.
English Style Guide of the EU Translation Service

Quote:
20.7 The euro. Like ‘pound’, ‘dollar’ or any other currency name in English, the word ‘euro’ is written in lower case with no initial capital.
Guidelines on the use of the euro, issued via the Secretariat-General, state that the plurals of both ‘euro’ and ‘cent’ are to be written without ‘s’ in English. Do this when amending or referring to legal texts that themselves observe this rule. However, in all other texts, especially documents intended for the general public, use the natural plurals ‘euros’ and ‘cents’.
It remains to be seen which version wins out - currently in Ireland you'll hear both "cent" and "cents" for the plural.

In France, they have continued to use the word "centimes", which used to mean hundredth-parts of a French Franc, and in Catalonia they call it "centims" (with a grave accent on the "i"). In Irish it's "ceint" pronounced "kent".
#6
Old 02-20-2005, 12:16 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Up there, waiting
Posts: 17,203
I guess "eurolette" is unacceptable?
#7
Old 02-20-2005, 04:08 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: Near the GT eeehhhh...
Posts: 27,334
Quote:
Originally Posted by hibernicus
In France, they have continued to use the word "centimes", which used to mean hundredth-parts of a French Franc...
Part of the reason for this is that 'cent' by itself in French means 'hundred', not 'hundredth'. See the hundred-dollar bill in the picture on this page; euro banknotes and coins do not have the amount in words. It lessens confusion to say 'centime'.
__________________
Rigardu, kaj vi ekvidos.
Look, and you will begin to see.
#8
Old 02-20-2005, 09:57 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: My own private Nogero
Posts: 5,506
My thought was that they should name it the lux, since Luxembourg is about 1/100 the size of Euroland.
#9
Old 02-20-2005, 10:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Suburbs of Detroit, MI
Posts: 9,859
Uh, guys? Answer a quick question for me.

Go to Mr. Kobayashi's link above. Look at the second coin in the left-hand column.

What is that image? It looks kind of like the Queen is, um, welcoming us in.
#10
Old 02-20-2005, 11:20 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace
Man, that UK euro prototype coin has got to have one of the worst portraits of the Queen that I have ever seen! If the UK does eventually switch to the euro, I sure hope they come up with a better design...
ROFL. How did they ever get her to POSE for that?
#11
Old 02-21-2005, 07:40 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Paris
Posts: 16,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspace
Part of the reason for this is that 'cent' by itself in French means 'hundred', not 'hundredth'. See the hundred-dollar bill in the picture on this page; euro banknotes and coins do not have the amount in words. It lessens confusion to say 'centime'.


The official name in France is "cent" too (and without "s" for the plural. I assume the "s" is omitted in order to avoid a different official spelling in countries where the plural wouldn't be formed by ading a "s")


But everybody says "centimes", indeed, because people were used to this word. At the beginning, you could hear "cent" (pronounced in the english way, with a sounded "t"), "cent" (pronounced in the french way, with a mute "t") or "centimes". Centimes won the battle.


Weirdly enough, France had 5 centimes and 10 centimes coins worth respectively a little less than 1 euro cent and 2 euro cent(s). Nobody had an issue with these coins. Since the euro has been introduced, plenty of people are complaining about the 1 and 2 cent coins, according to them of too little value to be of any use. Apparently, just because the number on the coins switched from 10 to 2, a coin of identical value suddenly became useless and a pain.
#12
Old 02-21-2005, 12:16 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western Pennsylvania
Posts: 6,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by charizard
ROFL. How did they ever get her to POSE for that?
Saucy lil tart!
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:57 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: disney knockoffs echoing phone fantasy grounds hotkeys broken neon sign southpark lice capades free newspaper delivery jawbreaker explodes recycle old microwave bicentennial lunch box geas pronunciation keeping live lobster think of england nudist questions are tumbleweeds alive brandy gross fencing movies mythbusters salaries tracy deneault opposite of nerd indiana career connect ted childress snorting lithium drinking margaritas timmy name a330 flight deck ampm commercial parking spot bumper fo dizzle ds3 halberds auto dealers names 1 snapple fact police wellness check soviet weapons ww2 guineas and pounds bbt money order volley of arrows vanishing cabinet chuck connors gay porn chrysler town and country cargo dimensions dolly parton playboy nude how much a gold bar weighs longest street in us how does having headlights on during a sunny day help you drive safer? chernobyl meaning in russian if you want to ride ride the white pony figure 8 sling for broken collarbone livin la vida loca definition read receipt yahoo mail how fast can a human punch living in olympia wa best navy jobs for civilian life can sudafed keep you awake how much is a weeping willow tree dog stomach blockage surgery cost pain in arms when sneezing rosary at a funeral how to set rit dye rogaine frontal hair loss don't stick it in the crazy who sang can't live without you performance air filters vs regular does progressive insurance cover windshield replacement puta in english google translate how much hp is 190cc under the dome leatherheads rowing machines at planet fitness how much does 1-800 got junk charge how to put laundry detergent in washer covering what part of a rattlesnake with what material would most reduce its strike accuracy?