Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 AM
Remember Saturday morning cartoons?

I don't know if it's still done, but when I was a child, Saturday mornings from 7 am to about 9 or 10 were prime cartoon time. You'd get up early on Saturday, snuggle up on the couch in your pjs with a bowl of cereal and spend a few hours watching cartoons. The Big 3-ABC, CBS, and NBC competed for your viewing, with the traditional offerings like Looney Toons, Tom and Jerry, Mickey Mouse and co, maybe some variety of Scooby Do with that asshat, Scrappy, along with tons of various original cartoons (which always seemed to be cancelled after 1 season). And of course, the commercials, with Schoolhouse Rock, toy ads, and the little PSAs from The Will Rogers Institute ("White Plains, New York!").

Some of the cartoons of my youth:
The Get-Along Gang (I still have my stuffed Woolma Lamb!)
The Smurfs
The Snorks
Gummi Bears ("Bouncing here and there and everywhere!)
The Littles
Richie Rich
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Muppet Babies
Punky Brewster
Berenstein Bears
Kissy-Fur
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
Scooby Do and Scrappy Do (God, I hated Scrappy. I especially hated how they cut the gang in half and you only got Scooby and Shaggy. MAYBE Daphne would come along but that would be it)

And one of the PSAs I remember was a serious called "One To Grow On", where they'd have various actors and actresses from popular prime time series (Michael J. Fox, Jason Bateman) presenting a little moral dilemma (Don't get in cars with strangers! Don't do drugs! Don't lift candy bars!) and then they'd offer you the correct response. "And THAT'S one to grow on!"

Do they still do this for the kiddies, or does everyone just watch Nick Jr and Disney?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:47 AM
Ah I remember the days when Hannah Barberra ruled Saturday mornings with an iron fist.

I think Saturday morning cartoons ended sometime in the mid-late 90s. Last ones I remember were shows like X-Men, The Tick, Men in Black and Eek! the Cat.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 AM
And in Memphis, after cartoons came wrestling with Jerry Lawler and the channel 5 weatherman as announcer. Also sprach Zarathustra was the theme. It was kinda surreal.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:53 AM
Fox and UPN/WB/whatever the heck it's called do this. Though it's more like 9-2 (8-1 for your Eastern kiddies). And if you have satellite, you get both channels twice extending it until something like 4pm.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:55 AM
Beany & Cecil: My Favorite cartoon villan, Dishonest John! Nyah ah ahhhh

Popeye: Alice the Goon & Eugene the Jeep, a 4-demensional dude living in a 3-demensional world.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:10 AM
Johnny Quest

The Hudsen Brothers

All sorts of superheroes, from the Justice League to Captain America to Chicken Man...

Some cheaply done live action shows: Planet of the Apes, Time Tunnel, Land of the Lost...

Popeye, Bugs, Woody, Tom & Jerry....

Star Trek, the Animated Adventures

Man, we had loads.

Conjunction Junction, what's your function?

I'm just a bill, on Capitol Hill...

INTER - JECTION!

::sigh::
Old 02-20-2005, 11:13 AM
Charter Member
I still remember snippets of jingles.

Looking for a Saturday morning place to be
Come and join the wonderful world of ABC!
Boom-boom, yeah! Boom-boom, yeah!
The Jackson 5 are coming to town...

I liked to watch Hot Wheels and Skyhawks. Hot Wheels featured Hot Wheels care you could get your parents to buy, as the protagonists drove them on different adventures. Thing remembered: Someone raced a blue car and won. A Hot Wheels Girl said, 'Ooh, that makes me see red!' Someone else said, 'Wait a minute, you really do see red!' The car had been red and was repainted blue, and some of the paint had chipped off. This led to the capture of the Bad Guy.

Skyhawks came on right after How Wheels. It was about a family of fliers. I used to roll out some teletype paper (dad worked for the FAA) as runways, and play with my Matchbox airplanes as I followed the adventures.

I also used to watch the animated Lassie series. It was kind of lame, but I watched it for some reason. Thing remembered: Someone wants to ride a minibike up a trail. The Young Indian said he couldn't. 'The sign says no motor vehicles [or horses only], and that putt-putt don't eat hay!'

I watched the adventures of The Osmond Brothers and The Jackson 5. One followed the other, but I don't remember which.

Star Trek. That was cool. A Star Trek cartoon.

And I liked the reruns. Jonny Quest was fun. Thing remembered: A Nazi war criminal is hiding out on an island with a bunch of cavement that he'd 'domesticated' and used as his henchmen. I remember a caveman saying 'Kommen Sie!', and the Nazi Doktor crashing a plane into a volcano (or something). I liked the 1990s version too. But the best reruns were The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour. (OVerture! Cut the lights! This is it, the night of nights!...) I also liked the old Underdog and Rocky & Bullwinkle shows.

Schoolhouse Rock. Man, I loved those! Catchy tunes, and you actually learned something. I have the DVD.

Then there were the live action shows. The Banana Splits featured funky characters and serials. ('Uh-oh! Chongo!' -- That came from a serial featuring Michael Vincent. Apparently he didn't use 'Jan' back then.) I liked the Arabian Knights cartoons they showed, and The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (That Mississippi, she is a mystery...'). And I watched H.R. Pufnstuff, Lidsville and Sigmond and the Seamonsters.

I hated Sundays, when the only kids' fare on was Davy and Goliath and Gumby. I watched them anyway, since they were the only things on.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:14 AM
Charter Member
Well Fox does show Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm still trying to figure out why The WINX club is classified is Educational / Instructional. (and now ABC has a rip-off show called W.I.T.C.H.)

ABC does have some other cartoons (Fillmore is OK), CBS has some Nick Jr stuff.
NBC shows some Discovery Kids stuff (I wish they would show Operation Junkyard again).

There was time when the FOX lineup ruled. The Tick, X-men and Spider-Man (I think)

Brian
Old 02-20-2005, 11:25 AM
Charter Member
NoClueBoy: I'd forgotten about The Hudson Brothers. ([i]We're gonna razzle-dazzle you...!)

I also forgot about Super Chicken and The Justice League of America.

Mr. Roboto: I watched Popeye when I was really young, when we lived in Japan. Whenever I hear the name Alice, I always subconsciously append 'The Goon'.

At the same time, I watched a show called Tetsujin. (Good thing I'd learned Japanese. Too bad I've forgotten it.) I had an inflatable Tetsujin toy that I played with all the time. Shortly after returning to the States, Tetsujin was released here as Gigantor.

Others I forgot in my first post:

Speed Racer
Groovy Ghoulies
The Archie Show
The Wacky Races
Tom Slick

There was another one that was cheaply animated -- Rocky & Bullwinkle cheap -- about young jet pilots whose airplanes were rather pointy and had long landing gear struts.

And Winky Dink, and The Beany and Cecil Show. (I was way young then, so they didn't immediately come to mind.) And I remember a little bit of Hobo Kelly, which was a show that (I think) was local to SoCal.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:58 AM
I was all about NBC on Saturday mornings.

My sister and I would wake up real real REAL early in the morning to catch this creepy show called "Space Hawks". We'd never see the whole entire thing--just the last fifteen minutes or so. It wasn't a cartoon but a live-action show with crazy-ass puppets and people dressed up in funky costumes. Futuristic and surreal. At the ending credits, they'd play this song sung by one of the characters (she had pink hair, I remember) that had a chorus that went: "Living, living, LIVING IN THE 21st CENTURY!" K.I.D.S Incorporated replaced this show, but we would still only manage catch the theme song at the end.

After that came The Snorks, which were just wanna be Smurfs.

And then came the Gummi Bears, followed by the Smurfs (a whole hour!!)

I think it would be around ten o'clock when the Smurfs would go off.

What would follow was always subject to change. Sometimes it would be Foofur. Sometimes it would be Punky Brewster (remember Glomer?) Sometimes it would be Camp Candy, A-Team, MC Hammer (hehehe), Pink Panther and Sons, and Kissyfur (which would actually replace the Gummi Bears, IIRC). These were the "B-list cartoons", the ones that everyone knew wouldn't last. My attention would never be 100% devoted to these shows while they were on, and I would usually be doing something else while I'd be watching, like eating breakfast or watching another cartoon, like Muppet Babies.

Alvin and the Chipmunks always came on last. They were ok, but I always preferred the rarer Chipette storylines to the Chipmunks'. (I had a hard time with the whole "chipmunk" thing, so I would pretend they were just adopted black kids ala Webster and Different Strokes.) After they went off, it was time to do house chores, go to Girl Scouts, or watch something like Soul Train. Sooooooul Train!

I remember "One To Grow On" and also all the milk commercials. "It Does a Body Good".

It seems like when "Bay Watch" and "Saved By the Bell" in the early 1990s came on the scene, the cartoons died off. It marked the end of Generation X's childhood.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A.
There was another one that was cheaply animated -- Rocky & Bullwinkle cheap -- about young jet pilots whose airplanes were rather pointy and had long landing gear struts.
Sung to the tune of Yankee Doodle:
Quote:
Roger Ramjet, he's our man,
The hero of our nation.
For his adventures just be sure
To stay tuned to this station.
Roger (the only adult pilot in this flying circus) was voiced by Garry Owens (afternoon deejay on KMPC, Radio Announcer Dude on Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In, and hysterically funny guy).

The show, like Tom Slick, Hoppity Hooper, Super Chicken, and George of the Jungle, was a Jay "Rocky and Bullwinkle" Ward production.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
Some of the cartoons of my youth:
The Get-Along Gang (I still have my stuffed Woolma Lamb!)
The Smurfs
The Snorks
Gummi Bears ("Bouncing here and there and everywhere!)
The Littles
Richie Rich
Alvin and the Chipmunks
Muppet Babies
Punky Brewster
Berenstein Bears
Kissy-Fur
Fat Albert and the Cosby Kids
Scooby Do and Scrappy Do (God, I hated Scrappy. I especially hated how they cut the gang in half and you only got Scooby and Shaggy. MAYBE Daphne would come along but that would be it)
Ahh, great cartoons all. Wow, the Get-Along Gang...I almost forgot about them. Remember the Wuzzles? I still have a Bumblelion toy somewhere.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:43 PM
Charter Member
Egads, am I the only one who remembers Voltron? Though to be honest, I don't recall if that was Saturday morning or after-school. Come to think of it, I think it was after-school, since I seem to recall Saturday mornings being exclusively Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies.
Old 02-20-2005, 12:47 PM
Charter Member
The OP must be younger than I am; my main memories of Scooby-Doo are of the classic, pre-Scrappy episodes. Of course, they still all had the exact same plot—just a different setting and a different monster. And there was that one season when they had guest stars: Batman and Robin, the Addams Family, Mama Cass Eliot (surely I'm not hallucinating that one?)...

Superheroes were very big on Saturday morning TV, including the live-action shows (SHAZAM!, Electro-woman and Dyna-girl) as well as the cartoons (Blue Falcon and Dyno-Mutt, Hong Kong Phooey, and of course the Super Friends—was the first season, with Wendy and Marvin, really the best, or was I just younger and more easily impressed then?).

Land of the Lost

Jabberjaw

Laff-a-lympics
Old 02-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Fox still has their Fox Box block (TMNT, Sonic X, and some stuff I can't remember). It was just called "Fox Kids" up until a few years ago (until they lost Power Rangers).

There's Kids' WB on weekends and weekday afternoons. Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh, The Batman, and others.

ABC Family has Jetix, which I love, because they show the mid-90's X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons (along with the occasional episode of Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends, Hulk, Fantastic Four, and Iron Man) and old episodes of Power Rangers.

Then, of course, there's Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network, which tend to be showing cartoons during Saturday morning.

I was a total slave to Fox Kids when I was little. T-Rex, Dog City, The Tick, X-Men, Eek! the Cat, and Power Rangers.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:54 PM
The definitive volume for all of you is the Burke Brothers' Saturday Morning Fever.

I used to love Saturdays because after the cartoons ended around noon or 1pm, Channel 56 in Boston showed the Creature Double Feature (old horror and Japanese Monster movies) for another three hours.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:00 PM
"All my life, Satuday morning cartoons--the best! Remember the two shrimps, riding the seahorses, little chaps, little cowboy hats, little pistols, bang-bang, rescuing the lobster from the ... Swedish cook."

Meep-meep!

Stranger
Old 02-20-2005, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos
Egads, am I the only one who remembers Voltron? Though to be honest, I don't recall if that was Saturday morning or after-school. Come to think of it, I think it was after-school, since I seem to recall Saturday mornings being exclusively Looney Tunes / Merry Melodies.
I was going to come on and talk about Voltron. But I think it might have been early morning weekdays with He-Man, Transformers, and Ghostbusters. I used to watch X-Men, Eek, The Tick, and all of those great FOX cartoons on saturdays, and then Sci-Fi would show MST:3K. My weekends were not very productive.
Old 02-20-2005, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink
of course the Super Friends—was the first season, with Wendy and Marvin, really the best, or was I just younger and more easily impressed then?).
Even as a kid, I greatly preferred the Super Friends episodes where they expanded the team roster to include Green Lantern, Flash, Hawkman, and the made-up characters Samurai, El Dorado, and Black Vulcan, and they always fought the Legion of Doom, led by Lex Luthor. Those were later episodes, called "Challenge of the Super Friends." Then they finally changed it to "Super Powers" (and showed it on Saturday mornings again) where they introduced Firestorm, Cyborg, and Darkseid and several other Jack Kirby Fourth World creations as the villains.
Old 02-20-2005, 03:14 PM
Quote:
I remember Voltron, but I think that was after school for me, too. My brother was a big fan of that one. (As well as Inspector Gadget -- also after school).

Saturday morning, if I got up real early, they also had The Incredible Hulk -- not animated, but the actual Bill Bixby / Lou Ferrigno live action version.

The ones I remember most were:
Superfriends
Looney Tunes (of course)
Hong Kong Phooey (I had a Hong Kong Phooey lunchbox )
Smurfs (was good until they introduced the little Smurflings or whatever they were)
Speed Racer

Thudlow Boink -- I remember most of those you mentioned, including the live actions (Shazam, Land of the Lost). We must be close to the same era.

On Looney Tunes -- When I was a kid, I always liked the Roadrunner cartoons the best. As I got older, I found that I really appreciated the sly humor of Bugs Bunny much more, and those are still now my favorites -- the Roadrunner toons are just basically slapstick.

And in later youth (12-13 years old) there was the cartoon Dungeons & Dragons, which became a favorite, as all the other channels were moving to stuff like Muppet Babies and Snorks (Smurfs ripoff).
Old 02-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Looney Tunes are the best! Especially "What's Opera, Doc"--one of the best cartoons ever made. And Duck Dodgers in the 24th and a Half Century. I almost went into mourning when I turned on the TV on a Saturday morning and there was no more Bugs Bunny and Daffy. First they got moved out of their normal timeslot, and then they just weren't there anymore. But it's okay, because the cartoons they were showing at the end were just shadows of the Looney Tunes we knew. If you leave out the violence that goes along with "One lump or two," it just doesn't make any sense.

I loved the Pink Panther, too. And George of the Jungle, and SuperChicken (best superhero theme song ever!).

I have the DVDs for the first two seasons of Rocky and Bullwinkle, and it's some of the best money I've ever spent. Even with all of the dated humor, it's still hysterically funny. Bullwinkle in a tutu never fails to make me laugh.

I'm a tiny bit embarassed to admit that I still watch cartoons on Saturdays. Especially Pokemon, and sometimes Teen Titans and The Batman. Ozzy and Drix was good, and Mucha Lucha is funny in an insane kind of way.

ME
Old 02-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Suspended
Supercar!

Supercar was a puppet-based Sci-Fi series. Anybody know when it bit the dust?
Old 02-20-2005, 04:39 PM
I've got one that I bet no one remembers. OG. It was on ABC for a very brief time and then never saw the light of day again. It was about this race of gnomes, I think, that lived underground and visited this little boy from time to time. They also sang a song that went sort of like this: "Og, Og, Og, Og...." I could be an Og or two off on the exact lyrics though.

I also remember Wildboy and Bigfoot and Isis. Wow, now I'm really feeling old here.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N9IWP
Well Fox does show Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm still trying to figure out why The WINX club is classified is Educational / Instructional. (and now ABC has a rip-off show called W.I.T.C.H.)
Damn, those look like they were designed to get the dads up early to watch with their kids.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywolf73
I've got one that I bet no one remembers. OG. It was on ABC for a very brief time and then never saw the light of day again. It was about this race of gnomes, I think, that lived underground and visited this little boy from time to time. They also sang a song that went sort of like this: "Og, Og, Og, Og...." I could be an Og or two off on the exact lyrics though.

I also remember Wildboy and Bigfoot and Isis. Wow, now I'm really feeling old here.
IIRC OTTOMH The Land Of Og was a multipart CBS Storybreak. It involved several kids finding the underground land of Og, inhabited by green gnomes who play pretend and say "Og" a lot.

Re Voltron- In the late 90s there was Voltron-The Third Dimension. It was CGI done with really crappy motion sensor technology. BTW The 80s Voltron was actually two different Japanese series. Hiyakujo Go Lion, and I can't remember the name of the vehicle one.

Thundarr The Barbarian- A stray comet streaks between earth and the moon, causing catastrophes. A thousand years (I think I have the number wrong) a strange new world rises from the old, a world ruled sorcery- and superscience! One man bursts his bonds! Together with his companions Ookla the Mok and Ariel the sorceress, and armed with his mighty SunSword, he fights for justice. He is Thundarr the barbarian.
This show was very obviously based on old radio programs, film serials, and science fiction pulps. So, not only did I love it, Dad would watch it with me.

Blackstar- A brave astronaut is pulled through a black hole and spit out in a world where magic is real. He lives in a tree with some dwarf/hobbit/Keebler elves. His pal Klone looked Orlando Bloom with blue skin, elf ears, and white hair. Klone could change shape. Blackstar had either the LightSword or the StarSword. Either way, the bad guy (Overlord? Purple skin, maroon armor) had the other half and was always trying to get Blackstar's half in order to combine them into the Powersword.

Droids- The adventures of C3PO and R2D2 before they ended up with Princess Leia. It was the first show I remember with stories that were designed to take numerous episodes. From what I remember, this was a well written show and ahead of it's time.

Ewoks-Let's see- Ewoks live in tree village. They have trouble with the evil Duwoks. The shaman Logrei has real magic powers. I remember an episode with the traveling Jindas (they're circus folk) and a giant wizard made of stone. I'm not sure if I want to remember more about this cartoon, of focus on making myself forget it entirely.

Fantastic Max- With the help of an alien named FX (he's green and looks like a talking plush doll), and a block man FX brought to life (can't remember his name), Max adventures through space. Max was about a year old. Whenever something bad happened, Max would yell "Dirty Diapers!". The themesong told us "He owes it all to those four ply diapers and that safety pin!"
Old 02-20-2005, 06:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern Forest
Damn, [The WINX Club] look like they were designed to get the dads up early to watch with their kids.
After seeing a short ad, I told a friend "It seems to be a charming series about a group of young girls who turn into magical prostitutes."
Old 02-20-2005, 06:29 PM
Action shows - Voltron, Robotech, GI Joe, Transformers, MASK - were after school in my area. Saturday mornings were humour (and humour/action).
Old 02-20-2005, 06:38 PM
Quote:
IIRC OTTOMH The Land Of Og was a multipart CBS Storybreak.
I remember the CBS Storybreak! It would come on early and last an hour. And it would start out with this giant book slowly opening. I never watched the show but I remember its existence.
Old 02-20-2005, 06:46 PM
IIRC CBS Storybreak was originally hosted by Captain Kangaroo ( I don't recall whether Bob Keishan went by that name on this show or not.). Later, it was hosted by a very large puppet of Captain O G Readmore. Readmore was also featured in an animated commercial promoting literacy.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:14 PM
I remember they used to have a bunch of cartoons based on video games. There was Pac-Man, where the ghost monsters were always trying to capture the power pellet forest. There was Saturday Supercade, which had a bunch of games like Donkey Kong, Q-Bert, and Frogger. There was also Pole Position, Dragon's Lair, and Space Ace. Needless to say, I watched all of them.

Then there was Lazer Tag Academy, which told us that Lazer Tag wasn't just a game; it also allowed you to travel in time and levitate buses. (Yes, I'm serious.)
"No, it isn't!"
Old 02-20-2005, 08:34 PM
The OP pretty much sums up what Saturday mornings were like for me! I may be a little younger; I remember the "Back to the Future" cartoon and Wish Kid with Macaulay Culkin.

I thought the lineup started to die when live-action shows became the rage. Saved by the Bell was the big one, but we also got City Guys and California Dreams, etc. I also wonder if the kids aren't doing more weekend activities these days. I get the impression that a lot of 4-12 year olds (the target demographic of old-school Saturday morning shows), especially the suburban sort, are spending the weekends at soccer practice, scouting, dance lessons, and the like.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksummon
Then there was Lazer Tag Academy, which told us that Lazer Tag wasn't just a game; it also allowed you to travel in time and levitate buses. (Yes, I'm serious.)
You could also reshape matter. IIRC Starlites (the LazerTag guns) could not effect gold.
Old 02-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Captain Kangaroo, Looney Tunes, Fat Albert, Rocky & Bullwinkle, that's what I remember.

And some shows that were probably parts of those: Dudley Dooright, The Wacky Racers, Poindexter and Mr. Peabody, stuff like that.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Quote:

I remember it-although I think it was on weekday afternoons, and there were two versions-one that had lions that formed the big robot, and one that had cars. I liked the one with the lions best, and my cousin and I would play and I was always Alora and she was her cousin that was on sometimes (but I forgot her name). The little boys in both cartoons-Pidge, the green lion had a brother on the car version.

I'd watch that, along with Robotech (Sundays, I think) and Jace and the Wheeled Warriors, about this group of space travelors, with a prince named Jace, a little girl who wore three pigtails (that my cousin and I always tried to immitate) and this Gandolf-ripoff.

Another cartoon I remember vaguely was about a big black stallion with red mane, named Wildfire. I think there was a little blond girl who used to ride him and the theme song was really cool.
Ooooh, what about Kidd Video! It was about a rock band that would always be forced into The Flip Side, where they were cartoons. The drummer was played by Robbie "Cousin Oliver" Rist and there was a little fairy named Glitter who got super strong when she sneezed.

Old school Scooby with entire gang pre-Scrappy Do was on weekday afternoons too-I know that because I used to watch it religiously EVERY DAY at four or whatever.

Then once cartoons were over, on Saturdays, I'd go get dressed and do whatever until four o'clock when we had to eat so we could go to church. Or I'd watch old B sci-fi movies with my mom on the local UHF type stations. (We didn't have cable then.)
Old 02-20-2005, 09:35 PM
Quote:
The little boys in both cartoons-Pidge, the green lion had a brother on the car version.
Chip. And they weren't all cars. There were a few planes, too.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:38 PM
Anyone remember "The Kroft Supershow"

"Don't get left behind
take a trip with us today
when you join us, you'll know why we saaaaaaYYY yy

It's just a crazy world
where most of what you see, isn't real."

They had live action shows, WonderBug (When you hear the horn, help is on the way, so clap your hands and shout Hooray!), Dr. Shrinker (He's a madman with an evil mind) and the hotties, Electra Woman and Dyna Girl (Fightin' all evil deeds)

As for cartoons, I watched Superfriends all the way from Wendy and Marvin up through the Cyborg days, I liked Pandamonium, Dungeons and Dragons, The Young Sentinels, Goober and the Ghost Chasers (A Scooby Doo rip off) and of course, Bugs Bunny.

Some other older cartoons, I liked that were usually on in the afternoon were Abbot and Costello and Around the World in 80 Days (The motto of the wise is, be prepared for surprises.)
Old 02-20-2005, 09:39 PM
I haven't seen anyone mention Teddy Ruxpin yet. I must have watched that entire series three or four times... once they got to the end they just re-ran them all in order from the beginning. My favorite character was Newton Gimmick - the "Q" of Saturday-morning television.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:41 PM
Also, another cartoon that hasn't been mentioned yet is Astroboy. Definitely one of my favs.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:00 PM
Quote:
I remember it-although I think it was on weekday afternoons, and there were two versions-one that had lions that formed the big robot, and one that had cars. I liked the one with the lions best, and my cousin and I would play and I was always Alora
IIR it's Allura.

Quote:
and she was her cousin that was on sometimes (but I forgot her name). The little boys in both cartoons-Pidge, the green lion had a brother on the car version.
As I said, the original Japanese shows were unrelated. However, since so many Japanes cartoons of the time used the same stock cast (Tall heroboy, cutechick, fat football guy, short thin nerdy kid with glasses) it was easy to insert the letters from Pidge.

Quote:
Jace and the Wheeled Warriors, about this group of space travelors, with a prince named Jace, a little girl who wore three pigtails (that my cousin and I always tried to immitate) and this Gandolf-ripoff.
OTTOMH Jace's dad was a great scientist working on a plant that ate pollution. He succeeded, but the expirement accidentally created the Monsterminds. These were evil plant people who had the power to change into strange, destructive vehicles. Jace had half of the miracle plant. He was on a quest to find his dad, who had the other half. IIRC The head villain was Sawboss.

Quote:
Ooooh, what about Kidd Video! It was about a rock band that would always be forced into The Flip Side, where they were cartoons. The drummer was played by Robbie "Cousin Oliver" Rist and there was a little fairy named Glitter who got super strong when she sneezed.
OTTOMH "I'm Master Blaster, and I'm taking you to the Flipside where you'll be my musical slaves forever!". Master Blaster also stole music videos, which he kept in cocoons. His henchgoons were three cats- IIRC Skat Cat, Scratch Kat, and Fat Cat. Every show had a music video at the end. OTTOMH

"I can hear her laugh, as if she were so near.
But, a photograph is the only thing here.
We should be together.
We should be as one.
We could be forever.
How can loving end, before it has begun?"

and

"A little T L C,
From you to me!
T L C, tender loving care."
Old 02-20-2005, 10:01 PM
There was nothing like watching the Pink Panther (with Mr. Jaw, Ant and the Aardvark, Texas Toads, et al.) over a bowl of Freakies. Years later, I was horrified to see a "Pink Panther" who talked. I suppose "Schoolhouse Rock" must have been on one station with "In the News" (a five-minute update on the Mideast situation or the energy crisis) on another. Some others I don't think have been mentioned were "the Oddball Couple" (Spiffy the cat and Fleabag the dog), the Evel Knievel-like "Devlin", the Waltons-like "These are the Days".

I agree that Marvin and Wendy were better than "the Wonder Twins".
Old 02-20-2005, 10:11 PM
I don't believe anyone has yet mentioned

"Captain CAAAAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEMMMMMMMMMAAAAAAAAANNNN!"

Yeah, it was lame, but I watched it.

I was a big fan of Bugs, the Pink Panther, and Land of the Lost.

I now horrify my children with stories of the days when we only had cartoons on Saturday mornings and we only got 4 channels. I told them that I used to wake up early to see cartoons on Saturdays, and they asked me why I didn't just record them, rather than get up early.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peyton Farquhar
There was nothing like watching the Pink Panther . . . a "Pink Panther" who talked.
Still later there was Pink Panther And Sons. The boys were various colors, including at least one green one.

They tried the same gimmick in the series Popeye and son. His son, whose name escapes me, also loved the sea. He was blonde, pretty boy surfer.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:28 PM
Gosh am I this old?

Looney Tunes
Tom and Jerry
Huckleberry Hound
Deputy Dawg
Yogi Bear
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Popeye
Woody Woodpecker
Andy Panda
Droopy
Baby Huey
Felix the Cat
Touché Turtle
Wally Gator
Old 02-20-2005, 10:31 PM
I forgot GUMBY, Dammit!
Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 PM
BANNED
Hey, what was the mid to late 70's Saturday (early) morning show that featured a father and son team (there might have been more people, or it was a whole team of people maybe?) that tooled around in this really cool, sleek, 70's style-spaceage, huge honkin', SUV groundtransport in some weird vision of the future earth (post-apocalyptic maybe)? It's a vague memory but I think it went something like that.

It was live-action in the style of Shaazam or Krofft-supershow. I think all of those shows must have used the same studio backlot somewhere. I just remember all of those same central California valley environments. I think Kung-fu with David Carradine and Little House on the Prairie were also filmed in the same location. Anybody know where that ubiquitous filming location really is?
Old 02-20-2005, 10:40 PM
Oooh, I just thought of another, The Shirt Tails!" Little woodland type animals living in a tree. I still have the two little stuffed animals (Pammie Panda and Rick Raccoon) I got at a Hardees promo. (How old school is THAT?)

DocCathode, you're such a big nerd-a guy after my own heart! (Tell me-are you like me in that you remember all the details from cartoons and commercials when you were three, but could never remember what you studed the night before a midterm?)
Old 02-20-2005, 10:56 PM
Devilsknew That sounds like Ark 2.

Guinastasia "Shirt t-t-tales!" I did well on midterms. I do tend to forget things like the day, date, and my birthday.

Inhumanoids

From the firey depths of the earth, where nightmares begin
Inhumanoids, inhumanoids,
The evil that lies within!

Rich guy, scientist guy, reporter chick and blue collar jock guy (his name was Auger)build special vehicles and armored suits after a trio of giant monstars (Metlar, the plant Tendril, and the undead D'Compose) are freed from imprisonment. They are opposed by Blackthorne Shaw, a powerhungry scientist with his own armor.

Visionaries

Knights of the magical light
Visionaries
With magical powers they fight
Powers of strength and skill and speed
Powers that accomplish the greatest of deeds
Visionaries
Knights of the magical light!

The planet Prismos has flying cars, robots and plenty more. But, the age of science is ending. As the suns align, a new age of magic begins! Technology fails and civilization returns to the dark ages. But, the mage Merklynn promises great powers to those who can pass his test. The warriors who do are given the ability to transform into an animal. Those with staves can cast a spell once per day. Those without staves find that they can breathe life back into the vehicles of the age of science.

The 13 Ghosts Of Scooby Doo

It had Vincent Price. And a sickly sweet/annoying little kid as a new sidekick. OTTOMH "Zomba sees and knows!"
Old 02-20-2005, 10:58 PM
BANNED
What's up Doc?
Sorry my King Kong went Ding Dong!
Didn't mean to jump on ya in the pit a lil' while back. I was feeling a bit defensive, it was a meaningful experience to me no matter how crazy it seems.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:01 PM
I guess I'm too old for Voltron and Scrappy Doo (together at last!). My little sister watched Captain Caveman, but I was too old for that too. I mainly remember Superfriends (with Wendy and Marvin and Wonder Dog), Scooby Doo (sans Scrappy), Speed Buggy, Inch High Private Eye, and such live action shows as Captain Marvel and Isis.

From these clues I bet my age could be pinpointed to within 1 year.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by devilsknew
What's up Doc?
Today, I vill demonstrate my machine by transplanting the mind of this chicken into a rabbit.

Quote:
Sorry my King Kong went Ding Dong!
Didn't mean to jump on ya in the pit a lil' while back.
No problem.

Ark II