Old 02-21-2005, 07:54 AM
Blue Moon tastes like... soap?

Blue Moon beer seems to be all the rage around here recently. At the bars, you get it in a tall pilsner glass with a wedge of orange and it tastes great. But last night I bought some of my own to enjoy in the privacy of my home (sans orange).

It tasted like shit.

Or, more accurately, it tasted like soap. Dishwater, really.

Blech.

So, my question is, Does this beer really suck, or are my taste buds fried? Does the orange wedge make the difference? I'm tempted to go back to the grocer and get oranges so I can finish the other eleven, but just thought I'd throw this out there before doing so.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Blue Moon is, IIRC, a wheat beer. Many places serve wheat beer with a slice of lemon and in some cases orange. The citrus does "smooth out" the edge on wheat beer, probably similar to adding lime to coke/diet coke, etc.

Personally I don't think they need it, but I can drink them either way, and don't think that (normal) wheats taste like soap. But I've also heard that some people think that cilantro tastes like soap, and it doesn't taste that way to me.

Go buy an orange, slice it up and throw it in. If it tastes the same as you've had at the bar, you're good. If not, maybe you got a bad batch?

Also, how often do you eat soap?
Old 02-21-2005, 08:31 AM
Yes, Blue Moon is a wheat beer. A bad wheat beer, IMHO. The problem is, there is no "edge" to it, like a pale ale. To me, it's just 'blah'.

The citrus doesn't so much "smooth out" the flavor as it does add flavor to something that is relatively flavorless (aside from soapy).

I love cilantro, BTW.

I taste soap occasionally when I bathe.

Or whenever I curse.

"Them nuns is bizznatches!"

<<eating soap>>
Old 02-21-2005, 08:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broken Wind

Or whenever I curse.

<<eating soap>>

Go get a bottle of Leffe Blonde, or Chimay if you can find it. Try those, but don't drink them out of the bottle. Also, wheat beer should have a head so don't pour it like Bud or something (I'm sure you know this, but you never know who's reading this stuff). These are good "standards" for what a Belgian wheat beer should taste like, and I think this is what Blue Moon is shooting for. If you don't like those then stick to German style wheats, which are a bit different, IMO.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:33 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth
Personally I don't think they need it, but I can drink them either way, and don't think that (normal) wheats taste like soap. But I've also heard that some people think that cilantro tastes like soap, and it doesn't taste that way to me.
Which might make some sense, as Belgian White Ales are usually flavored with curacao orange and coriander seed (aka cilantro.) I'm not sure if the seed of coriander has the same soapiness some people associate with the leaf, but it's a possibility.

As for Belgian Whites...if you like the general flavor profile of Blue Moon (which I think is a very watered-down version of a Witbier), get yourself a bottle of Hoegaarden. It's a good, authentic, entry-level Belgian Ale (and still is among my favorites.) This is the beer that more-or-less lays down the guidelines for what this style of beer should taste like.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:52 AM
I have the same problem with Sierra Nevada. I've never had one that didn't taste like soap.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:02 AM
Funny, the topic of Blue Moon just came up last night. The BF tried it at the local watering hole awhile back, and absolutely hated it. So when we were on our way over there, he was hoping that something better would be on special.

I should ask him if he thought it tasted like soap. He didn't say what he thought it tasted like, but it was clear he wasn't keen on it.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:10 AM
I LOVE Chimay, but didn't think it was in the same class as Blue Moon.

I thought Chimay was caringly produced, one bottle at a time, by tiny hooded monks hidden up in the Alps or something.

Or is that Lucky Charms?

Evidently the Blue Moon is doing it's job...

Old 02-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Quote:
I LOVE Chimay, but didn't think it was in the same class as Blue Moon.
They're the same general style, but you're right, Chimay is crafted by elves disguised as monks, living the in the deepest, darkest recesses of les Ardennes.

I think the Beer Advocate has Blue Moon at about a 3.3 out of 5.0, while Chimay is about 4.0+, depending on the version (red, blue, white). Also, apparently Blue Moon is made by Coors, although I could have sworn it wasn't always. Anyone know the scoop on that?
Old 02-21-2005, 01:51 PM
Quote:
apparently Blue Moon is made by Coors
Instapurge!

(watch your shoes)

Actually, after 5 or 6 of these, they don't taste so bad after all.

1 through 4, they're horrible though...
Old 02-21-2005, 02:27 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotik
I have the same problem with Sierra Nevada. I've never had one that didn't taste like soap.
Weird. I wonder if there's some sort of oil/chemical that some people pick up soapy taste characteristics in. Sierra Nevada makes some of my favorite beers, and I've never tasted anything resembling soap in them. Could it be the hoppiness you don't like (which is more evident in styles like India Pale Ale [IPA] )?
Old 02-21-2005, 02:54 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neurotik

HERETIC!!!!!!! Stone the unbeliever!!!!

Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy.

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be hysterically bombed every now and then.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:30 PM
Blue Moon has, AFAIK, always been made by Coors. It is not advertised as such (neither is Killian's Red, also made by Coors), because they want you to think of it as a craft beer, not a megabrew.

I wouldn't put Chimay in the same class as Blue Moon in any fashion. For a more accurate representation of what a Belgian Wit should taste like, get either Hoegaarden (as puly mentioned) or Celis White, currently being made by the Michigan Brewing Company.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:50 PM
Chimay Cinq Cents (the one with the white label) is absolutely wonderful beer. I like mine at cellar temperature, in a wine glass. they've even got a picture on the bottle to show that you're not supposed to pour it into a pint glass like you would other kinds of beer. I drink it without fruit, since it already has a bit of its own, and it's delicious.

It's Belgian and comes from the Trappist monks of the Abbey of Notre-Dame de Scourmount. They make cheese there too, from what I know, and have been doing so for more than a hundred years.

Yummy stuff. Hard to find the white label, but the red and blue label are more widely available in my area. The red label is the Chimay Premiere and to me a stronger taste than the Cinq Cents. The blue label is the Chimay Grande Reserve and is the strongest tasting of them, so when I want mellow I'm looking for Cinq Cents but when I want a lot of flavor I go Grande Reserve.

It's darker than your Blue Moon types, your hefeweizens and Belgian style white wheat beers, and apparently there are few kinds of beer that actually carry the Trappist style classification. Good stuff though, even if it does cost me an arm and leg to get in Pennsylvania.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell
Weird. I wonder if there's some sort of oil/chemical that some people pick up soapy taste characteristics in. Sierra Nevada makes some of my favorite beers, and I've never tasted anything resembling soap in them. Could it be the hoppiness you don't like (which is more evident in styles like India Pale Ale [IPA] )?
Hmmm...could be. I'm trying to think back to other pales I've had recently and if I tasted the same thing, but I can't say - it feels like I did, but I may just be making my memories fit the theory.

Would Hoegaarden cause the same thing? Because that doesn't taste soapy to me.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:10 PM
I knew that Blue Moon was owned by Coors......... but doesn't Blue Moon have several styles, not just the Belgian White? Perhaps therein lies the confusion. On tap at local watering hole are they serving the Blue Moon 'xyz'...... but one is purchasing the Blue Moon 'zyx' for home consumption.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:19 PM
I thought you were talking about the ice cream.

I used to love it as a kid.

Havn't had it in years.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:34 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by meanoldman
I knew that Blue Moon was owned by Coors......... but doesn't Blue Moon have several styles, not just the Belgian White?
Yeah, the Blue Moon Brewing Co. makes about seven different styles of beer but the one most widely available is the Belgian White. I'll second the idea of trying Hoegaarden if you want to see what a Belgian White is really supposed to taste like. I drank a six-pack last night at a BYOB Moroccan restaurant. Chimay Cinq Cents is Belgian but the style (Abbey Tripel) is a whole different taste. Way too spicy for my liking.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:33 PM
Quote:
I think the Beer Advocate has Blue Moon at about a 3.3 out of 5.0, while Chimay is about 4.0+, depending on the version (red, blue, white).
Chimay Red - 7%
Chimay White - 8%
Chimay Blue - 9%

And go here for the WHOLE scoop.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Sorry Shibboleth. You meant rankings and I thought you meant alchohol.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Quote:

<<eating soap>>

You, sir, owe me a new set of sinuses. Ginger ale hurts.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:40 PM
There may be something about the whole taste buds theory thing.

I know that whenever I have sushi the pickled ginger tastes like soap. Ginger in any other form tastes like ginger to me, but pickled ginger tastes like soap. I have heard other people comment that it tastes like soap to them as well, whereas others say it tastes like ginger that's been pickled. So maybe there is just some genetic thingy that makes some things taste like soap to some people? I guess I won't bother to try the Blue Moon stuff.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lizardling
You, sir, owe me a new set of sinuses. Ginger ale hurts.
New set of sinuses on the way. I found them at Amazon for $1.99 (used, sorry).

In the future, drink Blue Moon and you shouldn't have this problem.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Quote:
The citrus does "smooth out" the edge on wheat beer, probably similar to adding lime to coke/diet coke, etc...
If wheat (weissbier) has an 'edge', that would mean bock beer has a sledge.

After you try x-ray vision's Hoegaarden, I suggest the OP try real wheat beer; Bavarian Weissbier.

It's crisp, light, has the slightest hint of sweetness to it. If it's fresh, the carbonation stings the back of your throat oh so slightly.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meanoldman
I knew that Blue Moon was owned by Coors......... but doesn't Blue Moon have several styles, not just the Belgian White? Perhaps therein lies the confusion. On tap at local watering hole are they serving the Blue Moon 'xyz'...... but one is purchasing the Blue Moon 'zyx' for home consumption.
meanoldman

OMG! I think I helped name you!

<<fruitlessly searching for thread...>>

Oh well. Apparently you didn't go with Professor Lilolman, my personal favorite.

Cheers! <<hoisting a warm Blue Moon>>
Old 02-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Chimay

<hijack>

I absolutely love Chimay. I rarely do not have a bottle or two of it here at home. I first drank it in the town of Chimay at 10:30 in the morning with the mayor of town. It is a type of beer called a trappist. Trappist beers are referred to as so because of the monks that originally brewed them. The beer generally comes in 750ml bottles and is made to be drank from glasses in the general shape of a goblet. The beer has a great flavor, and is nice and smooth. Anyone who drinks beer definitely needs to give this one a try.

</hijack>

I also like blue moon, but its not a great wheat beer, and generally needs the citrus to be any good.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kinoons
I also like blue moon, but its not a great wheat beer, and generally needs the citrus to be any good.
Exactly my point. Thank you kinoons for summing it all up.

(Think I'll run out and grab me a twelve of Busch before the stores close...)

Old 02-21-2005, 09:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by JohnBckWLD
After you try x-ray vision's Hoegaarden, I suggest the OP try real wheat beer; Bavarian Weissbier.
I suggested Hoegaarden because its the best of the Belgian Whites. I also prefer a Hefeweizen but its a different category with a different taste. The best I've had is Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:31 PM
Just got back from drinking some Bohemian pilsners. Made by a crazy Austrian I know. I was going to switch to his weizen but they ran out before I got to it. So he gave me a glass of gueze to drink. I've never cottoned to that, it would make Blue Moon taste awesome. I also had some Tucher in the fridge recently, but I didn't think much of it. Maybe it wasn't fresh, anyone have an opinion on that one?
Old 02-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Charter Member
I've had the Tucher Dunkles Hefe Weizen before and I wasn't impressed either. When I first got in to drinking "good beer" I tried alot of different Hefe Weizens. Like I said, the best by far is the Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier. If you can find it, buy it. If you can't find it try Hacker-Pschorr or Franziskaner. Want to try a wheat beer with a little more malt? Try a Weizen Bock. The best by far being Schneider Aventinus.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Oddly enough, I can cite a roughly opposite phenomenon from personal experience. I have some waterless hand sanitizing gel in my bathroom at home; one day I noticed that the aroma of this product reminded me of vodka whenever I put it on my hands.

I looked at the label, and sure enough it's 60% ethanol.
Old 02-22-2005, 09:23 PM
Ahh rats. Here I was about to have a drunken conversation with BrokenWind about beer, only to find that said poster was drunk yesterday while I am drunk now. Damn shame. For witbiers, I go for John's Generations White Ale. A lot better than Blue moon and with the added benefit of being more exclusive.

And now I am left sitting here wishing for a Chimay and insanely jealous of kinoons. And nothing but Lienie's in my Fridge. Sniff.
Old 02-23-2005, 03:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringDad
Ahh rats. Here I was about to have a drunken conversation with BrokenWind about beer, only to find that said poster was drunk yesterday while I am drunk now. Damn shame. For witbiers, I go for John's Generations White Ale. A lot better than Blue moon and with the added benefit of being more exclusive.

And now I am left sitting here wishing for a Chimay and insanely jealous of kinoons. And nothing but Lienie's in my Fridge. Sniff.
The strange thing is Chimay is a little difficult to come by. Most small or mom/pop liquor stores don't carry it, and a quickie mart deffinately wont have it. Damn shame because it is some of the best stuff out there. Once ya find a store that has it, keep coming back so they don't let it go.

Another beer worth trying is Creak (maybe creek, cant remember the spelling). There are a few breweries in Belgium that make it. It's a cherry lambic. Its a little like a hard cherry cider, but it really is beer. I can't drink a whole lot of them at once, but one or two here or there are very nice. There is two or three breweries that make it, and each one tastes a little different, so if one seems a little off, try another one. It is also worth your time.
Old 02-23-2005, 05:31 PM
Quote:
Another beer worth trying is Creak (maybe creek, cant remember the spelling). There are a few breweries in Belgium that make it. It's a cherry lambic. Its a little like a hard cherry cider, but it really is beer. I can't drink a whole lot of them at once, but one or two here or there are very nice.
Kriek. Yes, Lambics are quite nice. Usually get Raspberry. I have direct access to a major distributor of Belgian beers in the midwest (John's Grocery in Iowa City, IA) and so have been lucky enough to try all kinds of Trippels, Lambics, and ales. No, the problem is not access but thin wallet syndrome.

The best Belgian I have had was a geuze (an unflavored lambic) that was from a limited production run. (Note that my spell checker seems notto be able to tell me if I spelled geuze right.)
Old 02-23-2005, 07:00 PM
BoringDad, I've seen it as "geuze" or "gueze" or 'gueuze", there doesn't seem to be a standard spelling.

What kind of Leinie's do you have in your fridge?
Old 02-23-2005, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West
BoringDad, I've seen it as "geuze" or "gueze" or 'gueuze", there doesn't seem to be a standard spelling.

What kind of Leinie's do you have in your fridge?
Well, none any more. Sniff.
But last night just original. A lager that stands above the mass of other mass marketted beers, and for some reason is even cheaper by the case of bottles than Busch Lite.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:40 PM
The guy who made the gueze that I had the other night also makes lots of lambics (and usually wins contests with them... he's a professional brewmaster). His mango lambic was quite good. They had a pina colada lambic this week, but I'm not much for pina colada, or lambics, so I didn't try it. I'm going home where I'll probably have a Leffe (or two). We sometimes get Chimay (red label), but it's a little harder to come by around here. I used to drink Duvel in Cincinnati, occasionally, in addition to Chimey. The Kroger's in Hyde Park in Cincinnati has all three Chimay's, chilled in the 25 oz bottle. Sweet. One of the few things to miss about the place. Anyone here ever had Palme?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Trappist beers are referred to as so because of the monks that originally brewed them.
Actually, to qualify for the Trappist appelation under Belgian law, Trappist products (including beer) has to be produced on abbey grounds, under the control of monks and with the profits heading back into the works of the monastery (due to the order's strict rules of self-sufficency). So, they STILL make the beers (a beer that used to be made by monks but now produced by an outside company would be an Abbey Ale......Corsendonk, Affligem, Bornem, Maredsous, etc).

I've never been a big fan of Blue Moon, mostly because it's over-spiced.....a wit should be subtle, not slap you over the face with the spicing. Hoegaarden is all right, but some of my favorite wits are Wittekerke and St. Bernardus from Belgium, and Ommegang Witte and Victory Whirlwind Wit from NY and PA, respectively.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by beergeek279

I've never been a big fan of Blue Moon, mostly because it's over-spiced.....a wit should be subtle, not slap you over the face with the spicing. Hoegaarden is all right, but some of my favorite wits are Wittekerke and St. Bernardus from Belgium, and Ommegang Witte and Victory Whirlwind Wit from NY and PA, respectively.
What's your take on the Unibroue (sp?) stuff from Quebec?

Also, I just this year had the St. Bernardus, pretty tasty. Anyone here know what the correct pronunciation is?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:12 AM
In addition to beergeek's requirement, there are only 6 monasteries allowed to call their beer 'Trappist", they are Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westvleteren, Westmalle, and Achel. Koeningshoeven in the Netherlands used to be included but apparently the brewery is no longer under the control of the monks, so no more.

Pina colada lambic, eh? Sounds awful!(well, to me at least!)
Old 02-24-2005, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by August West
In addition to beergeek's requirement, there are only 6 monasteries allowed to call their beer 'Trappist", they are Chimay, Orval, Rochefort, Westvleteren, Westmalle, and Achel. Koeningshoeven in the Netherlands used to be included but apparently the brewery is no longer under the control of the monks, so no more.

Pina colada lambic, eh? Sounds awful!(well, to me at least!)
The people who tried it said it was quite good. I've had Chimay and Orval, but never the others. Of course I still dream of some day going to Belgium with the express purpose of travelling from brewery to brewery. A fellah can dream, can't he?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:36 AM
You want some company on that trip?
Old 02-24-2005, 10:41 AM
Quote:
What's your take on the Unibroue (sp?) stuff from Quebec?

Also, I just this year had the St. Bernardus, pretty tasty. Anyone here know what the correct pronunciation is?
Well, I don't speak much French, but I've always said it "Sant Bernardoo" (at http://belgianstyle.com there's a pronunciation guide to a lot of familiar Belgian names, in both Flemish and French, but St. Bernardus isn't there).

As for Unibroue, I've always loved their beers (well, since I started drinking them anyway......didn't come out of the womb shouting "Fin du Monde!!" ). The base 4 are as nice a collection of Belgian-influenced beers as you can find (plus at distributors they sell for $40 a case!!!), most of their small specials like Raftman (smoked beer) and Blanche de Chambly (which I just thought of, but belongs in the wit discussion......especially since you can buy 5L keg cans!!), and their 750 mL seasonals (U10/11, La Terrible, Edition 2004, and hopefully Edition 2005) are out of this world!!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsix
You want some company on that trip?

Sure, do you speak some French? It could come in handy. I've been to the Abbey at Maredsous before, twice actually, and the food there goes very well with the beer. They make bread, cheese and sausage, and you can have a nice little lunch outside*. I always assumed the monk's made all of these, but now I'm not positive (based on previous posts here).

Maybe we can add some side trips for mussels, frites, waffles and chocolates?

*It's Belgium, so it's probably raining most of the time. Then you eat inside.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Quote:
ShibbOleth said:
Sure, do you speak some French?
Un petit peu. (Very little), but I still remember most of the pronunciation rules for French, so the St. Bernardus would have a very clipped n on the St. part, the r's in Bernardus would be choked, and the 'dus' is 'du' because ending consonants are not pronoucned unless they are C R F or L.

I can ask people how much things cost, order stuff, find the bathroom, get directions, etc. but am not a fluent speaker.