Old 02-25-2005, 10:07 AM
Why is it common to use "aye" and "nay" for voice votes?

Sorry if this has been discussed here previously, but I can't really do a search for the words "aye" and "nay."

What is the origin of this? Is there any reason those words are used in a voice vote (along with the occasional "yea") instead of "yes" and "no"?
Old 02-25-2005, 10:18 AM
A quick google suggests both words are of Norse origin. So I'd guess this would explain them being used by the post-1066 ruling classes of England. From there, it would make sense that they found their way into debating vocabularly, and into the earliest parliamentary proceedings. Once there, I'd presume they've simply remained, and influenced other voting procedures.
Old 02-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Charter Member
I don't know the answer, but I'd like to point out that in the U.S. Congress, they use "aye" for "yes," but "no" is just "no," not "nay." Odd.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: are worms insects cigar buzz priceline flight changes mola ram chant vibrating broomstick cotton hill shins bond nude deadwood odell max dimont bodybuilder shave cement mailbox french background music homage pronounce chinchilla vs rabbit wiremesh glass concrete geodesic domes cut out records 108 temp men castrated devon wilson death bookcase shelf pins rehome fee female jazz pianists quicksort iterative dykes and fairies red sucks vulcan insults seinfeld the move custom cut plywood definition excelsis deo sunoco stickers bruised martini definition flight of stairs how to remove splinter from under nail broken beer bottle weapon how far is a click compared to a mile what does oz stand for wolverine regenerates from a single drop of blood do beans count as a vegetable steam powered car kit how to cap a water well mini cd adapter for slot loading drives retracting bid on ebay can swap sim cards between phones why do i bounce my leg how to install air conditioner in crank window diatomaceous earth bed bugs reddit one way cruises to hawaii from california are any slaves still alive when did britain become democratic what does morenita mean mina league of extraordinary gentlemen plantar fasciitis message boards frozen chicken fried steak day old bread stores simpsons inside the actors studio is ethyl alcohol the same as ethanol pictures of lawn jockeys amazon shipped to wrong address 2006 honda accord sound system substitute dried orange peel for orange zest how to get sharpie off a car and you can't piss on hospitality i won't allow it saturday night live doggie downers