Old 03-07-2005, 12:10 PM
Charter Member
HTML Question--Re: Small Caps

Is there a quick way to do Small Caps using basic HTML Coding?

I found a way to do it with Cascading Style Sheets. However, I don't belive CSS works within the application I am using (Plumtree Corporate Portal). It may be possible to use CSS in this app, but I haven't figured out how. And I'm not very familiar with CSS yet, so I'm just looking for a simple HTML element or attribute.

I experimented with changing font size
Code:
<FONT size=4>S<FONT size=-1>MALL</FONT> C<FONT size=-1>APS</FONT></FONT>
to get this effect:

SMALL CAPS

But it looks like crap in my display. (Though the VB coding looks good here on preview.) Small caps are not a requirement, it's just a format I like. So I don't want to do work-around coding in a large number of instances for something not required. A single tag or FONT attribute that spans the entire heading is what I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!
-milquetoast
Old 03-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Charter Member
Their own web site uses CSS, so there's a good chance that their portal software uses it, too, especially if their own site is run on their own portal software.

In case you want an ugly solution, you could try something akin to this:

<p style="font-variant: small-caps">paragraph here</p>

This is CSS inline with your HTML.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:11 PM
Charter Member
Thanks, Balthisar. Your suggestion does work. It still looks like crap, IMO, but it was quite easy. I guess I'll just have to play around with CSS formatting until I get it to look acceptable.

I was trying to avoid spending time learning CSS right now, but you had to come along and show me how simple it was. A pox on you and your family for making me blow off real work while I tinker in CSS.

By the way, the only CSS guide I've looked at so far is w3schools. I may go so far as to remove the pox if you can suggest any other good sites for beginners.

-milquetoast
Old 03-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast
By the way, the only CSS guide I've looked at so far is w3schools. I may go so far as to remove the pox if you can suggest any other good sites for beginners.

-milquetoast
[self-promotion]How about a free CSS editor?[/self-promotion] It's old, and a couple of things don't work right, but I lost most of the source-code and don't want to start from scratch. But: it's free, and the help file is very complete!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Why not use the <small> tag and all-caps? It's not CSS, but it's quick.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast
Thanks, Balthisar. Your suggestion does work. It still looks like crap, IMO, but it was quite easy. I guess I'll just have to play around with CSS formatting until I get it to look acceptable.

I was trying to avoid spending time learning CSS right now, but you had to come along and show me how simple it was. A pox on you and your family for making me blow off real work while I tinker in CSS.

-milquetoast
If you find that you CAN use CSS, it's probably the best way to go. W3schools should be good for getting started. Once you're familiar with the basics, you can easily transform the entire site to use a style sheet.

Then, instead of using <font style="blah blah"> tags everywhere, you can replace all of them with a short <H6> tag or similar. Your code will look a lot cleaner

Is that what you meant by "it still looks like crap", or did you mean that the small caps rendering looks like crap and not the HTML code?
Old 03-08-2005, 07:14 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Pizza Guy
The way the caps look will obviously depend on the font type you use also. Some fonts have nicer looking small caps than others.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:20 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Pizza Guy
But see, that's my complaint. It's not quick. This is quick:

<tag font-varient:value>A Heading That Should Display with Small Caps</tag>

This is not:

<tag>A H<small>EADING</small> T<small>HAT</small> S<small>HOULD</small> D<small>ISPLAY WITH</small> S<small>MALL</small> C<small>APS</small></tag>

Granted, this one example went quickly with cutting and pasting. But it's not effecient for 40-60 Headings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cluelesssnob
Is that what you meant by "it still looks like crap", or did you mean that the small caps rendering looks like crap and not the HTML code?
I meant the small cap rendering looked bad. As Arwin states, that was an artifact of the typeface I was using (it was either Trebuchet or Verdana, I don't recall which and I've already changed it). I'll play around with other typefaces until I find one I like.

I'll continue to toy around with CSS. Even if I stick with simple HTML for this particular web "site," learning CSS is a good thing. Balthisar, I will take a look at your CSS editor. Thanks!