Old 03-25-2005, 05:09 PM
What will glue rubber to hard plastic or metal?

I think it was the very day I got my laptop that when inserting it into it's bag one of the back rubber feet came off.

Then about 2 weeks ago the other back foot came off.

I've kept both feet for the day when I get around to asking this question...

What will glue rubber to the hard plastic or painted metal chasis of the laptop (I'm not sure which it is)

I have a vague concern that something like superglue will just chemically react to the rubber with unpleasant results.
Advertisements
Old 03-25-2005, 05:15 PM
Go down to REI or an outdoor store, and look in the shoe accessories for something called Barge Cement or something like that (barge something). This is used to attach resoles onto boots and things. I know it works really well with rubber to leather (and rubber to rubber), so I suspect it will work well with rubber to plastic (not sure how it will do with metal, but it's worth a shot). It's pretty much industrial strength rubber cement.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:16 PM
Don't knock it 'till you've tried it. It might give you super powers, even if only minor ones.

Try JBWeld, or Gorilla Glue.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsang
I think it was the very day I got my laptop that when inserting it into it's bag one of the back rubber feet came off.

Then about 2 weeks ago the other back foot came off.

I've kept both feet for the day when I get around to asking this question...

What will glue rubber to the hard plastic or painted metal chasis of the laptop (I'm not sure which it is)

I have a vague concern that something like superglue will just chemically react to the rubber with unpleasant results.
There might be some new adhesive but if you can't find that, one way to do it is with a process developed by Chrysler called "cyclizing." Get some muriatic acid and apply it to the surface of the rubber that you want glued. Let it work long enough to create a bunch of cracks in the surface. Then wash it off and neutralize thoroughly with some alkali. Epoxy works pretty good on metal I think and with the rubber treated this way it should work.

If it doesn't, blame Chrysler.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:22 PM
'Rubber cement' is a brand name I've heard of. Will that basically do the job? (anything calling it'self 'rubber cement')

I know of a few outdoor stores. (even shoe/key smiths) so I will try there. Good advice, thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 06:00 PM
My first choice would be a product called contact cement. Brush both the rubber foot and the place where it mounts, allow to air dry for about 15 minutes and then press the glued faces together for an instant bond.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:01 PM
go down to any hardware store. Check out their adhesive section. If they carry LePage adhesives you will see that each one has a list of what it can glue together (from good to bad). Pick one that will work for the materials you're working with.
Thats the best way to do it.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:35 PM
I second the vote for JB Weld. I have seen it work under quite a variety of conditions. Yo can glue a tree branch to a glass coke bottle if you wan. Just give it time to set and it will be a good, strong adhesive.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Neato website (slogan: "Because people have a need to glue things to other things").
Old 03-26-2005, 02:51 AM
I just used Gorilla Glue to hold together the disintegrating sole on my shoe. Works great, but I used too much and it looks like a huge booger streaking the shoe.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:03 AM
The rubber feet on my mouse (the pointing device, not the mammal) came off recently, and without the tiny contact patches, it was sticking to the desk and making pointing a hassle. I laid the mouse upside-down in a cradle of crumpled newspaper, leveled it, and put a watermelon-seed-sized bead of J-B Weld on the bottom where each of the feet had been.

I let the J-B Weld set for 24 hours, and voila -- new plasticky feet for my mouse. You still have your laptop feet, so it's your pick whether you use the old ones or make new ones out of adhesive.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:09 AM
Go here:

http://thistothat.com/
Old 03-26-2005, 12:15 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man
Didya see post #9 up there?
Old 03-26-2005, 12:37 PM
Charter Member
You might want to look it up at http://thistothat.com/

If it were me, I might use polyurethane adhesive.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:24 PM
You might want to check out http://thistothat.com/
Old 03-26-2005, 05:13 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simmons
There might be some new adhesive but if you can't find that, one way to do it is with a process developed by Chrysler called "cyclizing." Get some muriatic acid and apply it to the surface of the rubber that you want glued. Let it work long enough to create a bunch of cracks in the surface. Then wash it off and neutralize thoroughly with some alkali. Epoxy works pretty good on metal I think and with the rubber treated this way it should work.

If it doesn't, blame Chrysler.
I gotta ask, why'd you call it muriatic acid instead of hydrochloric acid?
Old 03-26-2005, 11:17 PM
Muriatic acid is just another term. According to NIOSH, HCl can be called Anhydrous hydrogen chloride; Aqueous hydrogen chloride, (i.e. Hydrochloric acid, Muriatic acid.)
Old 03-27-2005, 07:59 AM
Quote:
I just used Gorilla Glue to hold together the disintegrating sole on my shoe. Works great, but I used too much and it looks like a huge booger streaking the shoe
I've used Gorilla Glue for metal to wood.

"It worked, huh"
Old 03-27-2005, 02:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithcats
My first choice would be a product called contact cement. Brush both the rubber foot and the place where it mounts, allow to air dry for about 15 minutes and then press the glued faces together for an instant bond.
One brand name is "Pliobond" in about a 4 or 8 oz. bottle. Follow directions above. Works for me to a 'tee.'
Old 03-27-2005, 02:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafter_Man
But only once - for 20 minutes.

(Sorry - I tried to resist, but the temptation was too much.)
Old 03-27-2005, 02:52 PM
Ahh, so it's a 2005-style "http://thistothat.com/" link.
Old 03-27-2005, 02:54 PM
And if you want a bond that's not amazingly strong but quite flexible (as perhaps befits the rubber feet on a laptop) you might want to try silicone RTV (aka bathtub caulk). Clean both surfaces with acetone or alcohol before application.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:52 PM
Just to get a plug in for one of my favorite adhesives (we all have favorite adhesives, right?), I think Aquaseal would do the job really well. It always stays a little flexible, which can be nice. It's like silicone caulking, but much stickier.

(It even works in Mariana's Trench. Or it did once. Not many people know that.)
Old 03-27-2005, 03:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvez
(It even works in Mariana's Trench. Or it did once. Not many people know that.)
The problem is, it only worked for 20 minutes and that was 40 years ago.
Old 03-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by danceswithcats
The problem is, it only worked for 20 minutes and that was 40 years ago.