Old 07-17-2000, 01:47 PM
Why does it feel so good to put q-tips where you're
not supposed to?

My kids love it when I clean their ears, and I feel
a real calm in me when I have the q-tip down 'in the
hole.'

It's a calm I wouldn't have guessed would come with
removing ear wax. Is there something going on?
Old 07-17-2000, 01:54 PM
Charter Member
A WAG? The inner ear is covered in incredibly fine hairs, called Cilla ( sp? ). You're stroking the hairs, and oye does it feel nice. They help to transmit sound vibrations to the inner ear.

Cartooniverse
Old 07-17-2000, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bup
not supposed to?

My kids love it when I clean their ears, and I feel
a real calm in me when I have the q-tip down 'in the
hole.'
Do I want to answer this question and be banned? NAHHHHHHH!
Old 07-17-2000, 02:42 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by bup
I feel a real calm in me when I have the q-tip down 'in the hole.'
In the future, please use the q-tip on your ears, instead.
Old 07-17-2000, 02:47 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
OK, then let me try: It's because you're a FRRAIK!!!

You're probably just scratching an itch. I like it because it gets any water out of the ear canal... and scratches the itch.

Quote:
A WAG? The inner ear is covered in incredibly fine hairs, called Cilla ( sp? ). You're stroking the hairs, and oye does it feel nice. They help to transmit sound vibrations to the inner ear.
Cartooniverse, are you sure that you're not thinking of the filaments of the auditory nerve, inside the cochlea? That's about as far into the ear as you can go. The only reference to cilia in my household copy of Gray's Anatomy refers to eyelashes. I believe that sound travels from the eardrum to the cochlea via the small bones; no hairs are used.
Old 07-17-2000, 05:35 PM
Charter Member
There's an old joke in there somewhere...
Let's see if I can remember it...
How do you know that sex feels better for a woman than it does for a man? Easy... Put your finger in your ear and move it around. Which feels better, your ear or your finger?

Hey, I didn't say it was a GOOD joke, just old.
Old 07-17-2000, 06:05 PM
You know when you get the swab in just the right places, and it feels so good, and you just melt?

That's your Q-spot.
Old 07-17-2000, 07:53 PM
BANNED
You're not supposed to put them in your ear cause you may hit your ear drum or force wax into the ear.

'The inner ear is covered in incredibly fine hairs'

Yeah, but youll never get anywhere near them.
Old 07-17-2000, 08:12 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by cornflakes
Quote:
OK, then let me try: It's because you're a FRRAIK!!!
But I don't mind answering you, flakes. FRRAIK? You have been poking those Q-tips in a little too far.
Old 07-17-2000, 09:32 PM
Charter Member
Hey, a bad Scottish accent deserves bad spelling!
Old 07-17-2000, 09:41 PM
Quote:
Hey, a bad Scottish accent deserves bad spelling!
Ye nae magalah a haggis wtf?
Old 07-17-2000, 10:39 PM
They make these special q-tips now...

...which I hate. They have an extra bog wad of cotton at the widest point, which effectively prevents you from jamming it in good. Then a little nub that can be used to delicately swab the ear. I use them on my son, and I noticed that while he still less than 6 months old he got that really dreamy look on his face when I used them, just like my husband gets. It was touching or creepy, I still haven't decided.
Old 07-17-2000, 11:33 PM
Charter Member
After his annual physical, a coworker said that the nurse asked him if he cleaned his ears with a Q-tip. He swelled with pride that his hygiene was being recognized and said yes, to which she replied "Well, that explains all the wax packed up against your eardrum."

Quote:
Sorry tcburnie, my translator software didn't like that.
Is the last word an acronym?
Old 07-17-2000, 11:57 PM
Want a real ear-canal orgasm? Squirt a little hydrogen peroxide in there for a few minutes to dissolve the old wax. First the chilly H2O2 will tingle, then it will begin to fizz -- right inside your head! Ahhhhh.......

Most home remedies for wax clearing advise using glycerine -- but that's just wimpy-assed in my opinion. A minority suggest the above H2O2 method.

I don't know if this procedure is ultimately contraindicated, as they say, so I'd love to hear what our medical Dopers have to say on the subject.
Old 07-18-2000, 12:01 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Oddly enough, Cecil Adams on earwax removal.
Old 07-18-2000, 02:01 AM
LOL.. You kick ass, Manda..

-niggle

Quote:
Originally posted by Manda JO
You know when you get the swab in just the right places, and it feels so good, and you just melt?

That's your Q-spot.
Old 07-18-2000, 05:14 AM
Quote:
After his annual physical, a coworker said that the nurse asked him if he cleaned his ears with a Q-tip. He swelled with pride that his hygiene was being recognized and said yes, to which she replied "Well, that explains all the wax packed up against your eardrum."

Quote:
Sorry tcburnie, my translator software didn't like that.
Is the last word an acronym?
ROFL! Sort of. W.T.F., over?
Old 07-18-2000, 05:20 AM
Quote:
not supposed to?
Your parents were siblings, weren't they?
Old 07-18-2000, 01:38 PM
>>I use them on my son, and I noticed that while he still less than 6 months old he got that really dreamy look on his face when I used them, just like my husband gets. It was touching or creepy, I still haven't decided.

Yes! The dreamy look! There's something 'more than the
sum of the parts' going on there, isn't there? Little
kids look hypnotized!

What is that phenomenon, and what's causing it?
Old 07-18-2000, 01:56 PM
Isn't there a major nerve pathway in/around the ear canal. Didn't Cecil mention something to that effect in one of his columns... or did I read it elsewhere... or am I totally full of ear wax?

If it's true, I bet that's why it feels so good.