Old 04-10-2005, 01:25 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Temporary blurred vision when I wake up in the morning

I've noticed that I sometimes have temporarily blurred vision upon getting up in the morning. Clear vision returns gradually, over an hour or so. What could cause this? Is it from sleeping on my side? When sleeping on one's side, is it possible for the pressure on the side of the face to temporarily deform the eyeball, affecting vision?
Old 04-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Charter Member
Let me be the first to advise you to ask an opthalmologist or other medical professional. There can be lots of reasons for blurred vision, some of which are trivial and some which are not.
Old 04-10-2005, 03:35 PM
First, I would also suggest seeing an opthalmologist!

But... could this just be a case of dry eyes? Sometimes for me, when I wake up, it's like I have this layer of gunk on my eyes that doesn't go away until I blink enough to wear it off...
Old 04-10-2005, 03:38 PM
...maybe ask an ophthalmologist too.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:30 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS
Let me be the first to advise you to ask an opthalmologist or other medical professional. There can be lots of reasons for blurred vision, some of which are trivial and some which are not.
Not the least of which is diabetes. See a doc.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:46 PM
This appears to be a common problem. I was experiencing the same thing recently and mentioned it to an opthalmalogist friend (who I saw at the Wellness Center). He said just put in some eye lubricant and I didn't need a prescription. I used one for a while, and the problem disappeared for the most part. When I get it again, I apply the lubricant. I would recommend doing this first, and if you get no relief, then see a doctor.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:09 PM
Often overlooked also is the possibility of a mild allergy for something in the bed (bugs), or in the pillow, or even in the detergent that the bedcloths are washed with (perfumes are often allergants). And if you wear lenses you can have dry eyes too the next day as a result, if they don't perfectly fit or you've been wearing them long, etc.
Old 04-10-2005, 06:13 PM
See a doc.

And let me take this opportunity to hijack with a neat factiod I just learned at the museum last week: Every morning when you wake up and open your eyes, the first light to hit your eyeballs burns a layer of cells off of your retina. So each morning you are indeed seeing the world through new eyes!
Old 04-11-2005, 01:44 AM
I've had that problem since I got laser eye surgery and my eyes have been slightly drier. It always goes away within a few minutes. So dry eyes can cause that.
Old 04-11-2005, 10:53 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead
I've had that problem since I got laser eye surgery and my eyes have been slightly drier. It always goes away within a few minutes. So dry eyes can cause that.
I second that.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smeghead
I had laser eye surgery too.
Old 04-11-2005, 12:58 PM
Huh, this explains a lot now..

I used to have this problem all the time.. mostly in the years from maybe 8th or 9th grade until I was a senior. This was after I had eye surgery in 7th. I never put the two together as it didn't start for some time after the eye surgery.
It faded and now only happens from time to time.

Well I learned something new today.
Old 04-11-2005, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre of Pithecanthropus
I've noticed that I sometimes have temporarily blurred vision upon getting up in the morning. Clear vision returns gradually, over an hour or so. What could cause this? Is it from sleeping on my side? When sleeping on one's side, is it possible for the pressure on the side of the face to temporarily deform the eyeball, affecting vision?
Wooo Hooo!!!! Something I actually know about. Maybe.

Obligatory Backstory:

Last October I created a big scratch on my right eye (I can tell the story elsewhere if necessary) and it took a few days for it to heal. Saw the doctor, paid the bill, waited for the healing. Once it got better enough to use, I was driving and working fine. Occasionally I would wake up with some burning or itching and bluriness. I chalked it up to the continued healing process (which according to the doc can take up to 6 weeks).

Then one morning, the eye goes all wacko. I am driving to work and had the burning, itching, blurring thing a bit, but all of the sudden, it starts watering and I can barely see to drive. Being the idiot that I am, I continued on to work and made it fine. The eye was fine within an hour.

Back at the doc, I find out that it is possible for you eye to build suction while you sleep between the eyelid and the clear layer over the eyeball proper (the part I scratched). Turns out that even though my scratch was healed, this clear layer had not reattached to my eye. So, when I open my eye in the morning, suck-pop (only not so loud), I tear the layer again. Sometimes just a bit, sometime (rarely) worse than the original scratch.

Good news is, the doc sends me to the local store to get an OTC ointment that helps keep moisture in between your eyelid and this layer. The stuff was called Muro 128. I put about an eighth to a quarter inch of this stuff under my lower eyelid right before bed. I'm all better now. That's the good news. The bad news is that it takes 6-10 weeks of consistently doing this before the layer will reattach correctly. If you miss a night, you run the risk of tearing again and having to start the 6-10 weeks over again.

All that said, I'd buy a tube of this stuff and try for a day or two. If you have the problem again while using it, I'd go straight to the eye doc.