Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 04-13-2005, 03:49 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 64
People who are Easily Amused, what's their problem!

Am i the only person who can't stand people who laugh about every silly thing?! I cant' remember a movie I've seen that actually made me laugh out loud, well John Leguizamo's standup comedy perhaps, but NOT a movie... lately, my own bf is getting on my nerves because he's starting to really laugh hard at the stupidist mundane things that i just wanna reach out and smack him one! Im starting to wonder if these goofy-laughing types are really hiding something.

bored, but you must've guessed that by now.
#2
Old 04-13-2005, 06:17 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 11,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur8it
Am i the only person who can't stand people who laugh about every silly thing?!
Probably not.

Quote:
I cant' remember a movie I've seen that actually made me laugh out loud, well John Leguizamo's standup comedy perhaps, but NOT a movie... lately, my own bf is getting on my nerves because he's starting to really laugh hard at the stupidist mundane things that i just wanna reach out and smack him one! Im starting to wonder if these goofy-laughing types are really hiding something.
People who laugh at John Leguizamo's standup routine don't have any room to discuss what other people laugh at. I don't laugh at every little thing at the movies but sometimes I do laugh out loud. Maybe your boyfriend is just a bit more boisterious then you.

Marc
#3
Old 04-13-2005, 07:41 AM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: My Own Private Iowa
Posts: 15,377
I guarantee you most of the Easily Amused wouldn't bat an eye at, say, a short story by S.J. Perelman or the Dick Cavett variety of chatter an older generation knew as "repartée." Their favorite topics rank roughly as follows:

1. Anything someone they know personally did
2. Anything that happened to them personally
3. Anything they personally did
4. Anything that happened to someone they know
5. Fart jokes
6. Anything anybody said, rather than did or had happen to them
#4
Old 04-13-2005, 07:59 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Auck, NZ
Posts: 4,406
Oh you sour puss! Laughing is good for you. Grumps like you will die earlier then smokers like me

Seriously...take a leaf out of your bf's book. Laugh a bit more often. It doesn't hurt!
#5
Old 04-13-2005, 08:54 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: 8998 miles from home
Posts: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur8it
Am i the only person who can't stand people who laugh about every silly thing?! I cant' remember a movie I've seen that actually made me laugh out loud, well John Leguizamo's standup comedy perhaps, but NOT a movie... lately, my own bf is getting on my nerves because he's starting to really laugh hard at the stupidist mundane things that i just wanna reach out and smack him one! Im starting to wonder if these goofy-laughing types are really hiding something.
Ha! You're right! Those types crack me up!
#6
Old 04-13-2005, 09:32 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 36,734
As my wife pointed out to me long ago, being easily amused just means you get to be amused more often. And there are few things funnier than someone who can't take a joke.

Daniel
#7
Old 04-13-2005, 10:15 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: East of St Louis
Posts: 697
Points at ur8it HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
#8
Old 04-13-2005, 10:22 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,388
Here is a chance for me to promote a local band Easily Amused

Enjoy!
#9
Old 04-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Obama-napolis
Posts: 4,976
I noticed this when going to a movie at the local arts cinema. People were laughing at the stupid commercials before the movie as if they were the funniest thing ever. Not the coming attractions, the commercials.

I don't know why, but that really annoyed me. If you're that amused by commercials, you're either high or really, really easily amused.
#10
Old 04-13-2005, 10:56 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Cecil's basement
Posts: 5,321
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrrl
If you're that amused by commercials, you're either high or really, really easily amused.
Were they Superbowl quality commericals?
#11
Old 04-13-2005, 11:14 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Obama-napolis
Posts: 4,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidchameleon
Were they Superbowl quality commericals?
I don't watch the Superbowl, but no, I don't think so.

They were like commercials for Coke and stereo equipment, but with funny surroundings like Japan. Evidently Japan is hilarious to some people.
#12
Old 04-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Oakland
Posts: 488
Laughter is good for you!

But people who laugh at every little thing are generally nervous - not amused, from my observations.

Two movies that did make me laugh out loud: My Cousin Vinnie and The Full Monty.
#13
Old 04-13-2005, 11:35 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: No where. Now here.
Posts: 1,472
The older I get, the more easily I am amused. I laugh at stuff now that I wouldn't have been caught dead laughing at twenty years ago.

Thank god I don't have to worry about appearances any more; it's so much more fun to just enjoy the funny things that pass by.
#14
Old 04-13-2005, 11:46 AM
Member
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Bedrock
Posts: 26,079
Different things amuse different people and to different degrees. Years back, my sister and I watched MP & The Holy Grail together for the first time. I damn near hawked up a testicle I was laughing so hard, yet she kept looking at me and saying "What's so funny?"

Than again, while everyone around me was dying during Animal House, the most I could produce was a few smiles and chuckles.
#15
Old 04-13-2005, 12:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Midwest
Posts: 1,328
Guilty as charged

I laugh at every little thing - even commercials. Well, everything except Mallard Fillmore - even I have some standards.
I don't like Adam Sandler type noise humor, but love J.S. Perlman. Liked Dick Cavitt till I saw him for the pretentious twit that he is.

The reason I find many commercials funny is that they are so surreal because the people in them care SO MUCH about whatever is being sold.

My favorite is a magazine ad for a cake mix that makes into a 9X9 smaller cake. The ad pictured what would happen if the unfortunate housewife didn't use this mix. It showed a Dad, girl and boy sitting at a dinner table. In front of them was a large cake - and they were miserable. Dad was staring at the cake like it was a road kill possum, son was glaring at Mom - "How could you?". The mother was in back ground - upset and miserable. She had failed her family. Her crime? She made a cake that was too big. The horror. If you can't see the humor in a scene that portrays a large cake as tantamount to clubbing baby seals, then there's something wrong with you.
#16
Old 04-13-2005, 01:02 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,514
I hear about the Easily Amused all the time. My wife is not a comedian. I don't think I have ever heard her tell a joke. But she is good with words, and can be silly. Nearly every day, she tells me one of her meetings was derailed by copious laughter because she said something that everybody found hilarious. She wasn't trying to be funny, and when she tells me what she said, I have to wonder what was funny about it.

So, I also have to wonder. If the people she works with are able to bust a gut over the most mundane turn of phrase, what would happen to them if they were exposed to comedy?
#17
Old 04-13-2005, 01:13 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Golden State
Posts: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur8it
Am i the only person who can't stand people who laugh about every silly thing?! ... Im starting to wonder if these goofy-laughing types are really hiding something.
A person's sense of humor is a very personal thing. I never begrudge someone who laughs at something that is reasonably (IMO) amusing. In fact, it's downright amusing when someone laughs out loud at something I only find mildly amusing. Having said that ... there's a fine line between being amused all the time and being goofy. Goofy is not a good thing. But I'd be much more worried about someone who is amused at obviously not funny things, like tragedies or disasters.
#18
Old 04-13-2005, 01:23 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sleeping Seattleite
Posts: 5,007
I laugh at everything, because I love to laugh. Everything. From the wittiest, most ironic zinger, to the mundane adverts, if a character raises an eyebrow funny. I've learned to stop hoarding my laughter for the "deserving" over the years, after learning that I was the one who deserved it.

But then again, I had ulcers when I was 17, two nervous breakdowns before graduating from highschool... so, you know, in the words of Carl Carlson: "If I didn't have inner peace, I'd completely go psycho on all you guys, all
the time."

I understand that some people can't stand it. However, I do not care. It's their problem to sort out, not mine - I'm happy.
#19
Old 04-13-2005, 01:46 PM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 18,220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon
I laugh at everything, because I love to laugh. Everything. From the wittiest, most ironic zinger, to the mundane adverts, if a character raises an eyebrow funny. I've learned to stop hoarding my laughter for the "deserving" over the years, after learning that I was the one who deserved it.

But then again, I had ulcers when I was 17, two nervous breakdowns before graduating from highschool... so, you know, in the words of Carl Carlson: "If I didn't have inner peace, I'd completely go psycho on all you guys, all
the time."

I understand that some people can't stand it. However, I do not care. It's their problem to sort out, not mine - I'm happy.
That describes me pretty well too, minus the ulcers.
#20
Old 04-13-2005, 01:58 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 64
Ok, I realize laughing is good for you, and maybe SOME people who dont laugh as much might have a tendency to develop ulcers--I DON'T have any ulcers, I have great skin, and overall good health... I don't REFUSE to laugh, I simply don't find certain behavior funny, period... and faking a laugh is out of the question.... also strange is that sometimes I'll say something that was not meant to be funny and people crack up! That's odd too, i mean, I ask them what was so funny about what I said and they'll tell me, "you don't know??" and then they laugh some more!!!!!

Alright here's a tester: WHO thought "Lost in Translation" w/Bill Murray was funny???? Ohhh lordy, that was about as funny as a dead gnat!
#21
Old 04-13-2005, 02:06 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,838
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon
I've learned to stop hoarding my laughter for the "deserving" over the years, after learning that I was the one who deserved it.
No truer words were ever said. Laughter is good for the soul...not necessarily someone else's soul but definitely _your_ soul.

To the OP... try to lighten up. Sounds to me like you're spending a lot of energy judging the behavior of other people when you could be directing that energy toward being a more happy person.
#22
Old 04-13-2005, 02:08 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sleeping Seattleite
Posts: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur8it
Ok, I realize laughing is good for you, and maybe SOME people who dont laugh as much might have a tendency to develop ulcers--I DON'T have any ulcers, I have great skin, and overall good health... !
Not at all what I was implying. What I meant was that I laugh much more now because I used to be quite stressed, so perhaps I laugh more than someone who didn't have a rough life (or, in my case, a hard time dealing with what life dished out to me). I loosened way, way up because of it. I'm not saying at all that if you don't laugh you will get ulcers. My skin has always been fantastic, so I'm not sure where that comes into the equation (except maybe that some people have different physical reactions to stress?)

I'm still not sure what your problem with laughing people is, or with people who laugh at things that you don't think are funny. It's not their problem. It's yours.

I haven't seen Lost in Translation, and so I cannot comment on it. Why do you get upset with people who have different tastes than yours?
#23
Old 04-13-2005, 02:29 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 8,223
People who are never amused, what's their problem? A chronic case of the tightass will put you into an early grave and make you unpopular to boot.

I'm a goofy laughing type, or at least I've grown into one. I was never as badly off as Ana and Wesley, but I used to be fairly uptight. Till I realized that you can either take everything seriously all the time or relax and laugh at the inherent ridiculousness of life. Life is ridiculous, you know, so you might as well go on and laugh. The thing about laughter is that it tends to feed on itself--the more you laugh, the more you see the humor in things.

And contrary to Beware of Doug's post, most of the easily amused people I've known over the years would absolutely crack up at witty repartee, just as much as they would at fart jokes. Lowering the bar for what you find amusing doesn't mean you've also lowered the ceiling on what you find amusing, you know.
#24
Old 04-13-2005, 04:15 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: High Desert, California
Posts: 4,454
I'm only easily amused by my cats.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that they are so easily amused, or that I am so amused by their amusement.
#25
Old 04-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Obama-napolis
Posts: 4,976
I laugh a lot, and at a lot of different things. But, I just don't find little things like commercials all that funny. There are a few, but the ones they show in the movie theater before the movie just aren't funny.

I've been accused of being tightly wound, so maybe that's it. I also have to move if anyone near me is eating popcorn or anything with wrappers. haha. Now, that's kind of funny.
#26
Old 04-13-2005, 04:33 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 5,330
{quote=fishbycicle]So, I also have to wonder. If the people she works with are able to bust a gut over the most mundane turn of phrase, what would happen to them if they were exposed to comedy?[/quote]

It all depends. I was a giggler in college and grad school. (I'm not sure that I wouldn't be now in similar situations but I can't remember the last time I really got the giggles like I did for a while). I giggled my way through so much of more than one musical production that total strangers were talking about the girl who giggled.

But, tell me a deliberate joke. I don't laugh. I may see the humor, but I probably won't giggle. Expose me to a funny movie, I probably won't laugh- especially if I find some of the humor offensive or obnoxious (I'm not found of fart jokes, for example).

But say something just right, tickle my imagination and I giggle. Or better yet, you giggle. I'll giggle back.
#27
Old 04-13-2005, 04:56 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,658
I have a friend who, like me, is a fairly hardcore cinephile, so we'll run into each other fairly often at screenings that are unusual, esoteric, "arty", or rare.

He laughs at everything (giggles actually) and it drives me nuts.

He not only laughs at things that I don't find funny, but that nobody else in the theater finds funny. Probably 1/3 of the time he's laughing (giggling, :shudder: ), he's laughing all by himself. Nobody else is laughing.

And the thing is, not only does he laugh at things that nobody else finds funny, but he also laughs at things that were clearly not even meant to be funny. Suspenseful moments. Dramatic moments. Even static moments. I don't remember a minute ever going by when I didn't hear a giggle (or titter, :shudder: ) from him. And I don't go to what are generally considered "bad" movies. This isn't lowbrow humor or juvenile humor or eye-rolling humor--this is no humor!

And still he laughs.

Which is why I always sit where I want to, agreeing that we'll meet up afterwards. But since I sit in the front, I always hear the giggles from behind me. Giggles, especially continual ones, alone in a vacuum are incredibly distracting and half-the-time, I'm inclined to skip the show, it's that bad, but often it's the only screening of its kind in the City or the West Coast or North America or somesuch, so I deal.

But I've always wondered whether he notices (needless to say, I wouldn't know how to ask him this without letting on that his laugh drives me bonkers, so it's best left alone).
#28
Old 04-13-2005, 05:07 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,976
Archive Guy, is it wrong that I giggled through your entire post?

Geez, anti-easily amused people, lighten up. I'm sorry that I want to go through my life getting as much enjoyment and humor out of it as possible. Laughing feels good.
#29
Old 04-13-2005, 05:21 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Obama-napolis
Posts: 4,976
So, you don't think Archive Guy's friend sounds a little annoying?

You must not be bothered by anything at all. And you're lucky if that's true.

I don't really want to "lighten up." I'm pretty happy the way I am. But, I'm also a realist and life gets to me a lot. I can't just laugh at everything and pretend everything is ok all of the time.
#30
Old 04-13-2005, 05:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 36,734
Oh, Lord. I once saw Sling Blade at a friend's house with her roommates. One roommate was okay, but another started giggling, and by the climactic scene, he was shrieking with laughter like an epileptic hyena. He was lucky I didn't have me a sling blade.

Daniel
#31
Old 04-13-2005, 05:40 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sleeping Seattleite
Posts: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrrl
I'm pretty happy the way I am. But, I'm also a realist and life gets to me a lot. I can't just laugh at everything and pretend everything is ok all of the time.
I can only speak for myself, but I don't pretend everything is okay all of the time. I've been through a lot of crap, so I know things can't be okay all of the time. I just don't sweat the small stuff.

This isn't meant as an insult in any way, Indygrrl, because you are simply saying that you have a different level/sense of humour, as everyone does, and I respect that as much as I expect people to respect my own. I don't think you should "lighten up" if you are happy and comfortable with your level of humour, that's something only you can/will/would want to change, if at all.
However, I feel the OP is just trying to say that people who laugh at things she doesn't find funny is annoying - I don't think that's the laugher's problem, I think that's hers. If it's at a movie, of course, she could kindly ask the laugher to hush, if it's quite distracting (if the laugher just snubbed her, okay, then we'll have a problem, but that's more to do with rudeness and disrespect than with laughing), but the OP seems to be trying to say that the things she doesn't find funny, no one should laugh at.

This:

Quote:
WHO thought "Lost in Translation" w/Bill Murray was funny???? Ohhh lordy, that was about as funny as a dead gnat!
was all I needed to see what her intentions are. I'm still waiting for the answer to my earlier question to her.

FTR, I didn't find the guy in ArchiveGuy's post annoying, however, I could see how it could be to some people, and once again, in a public movie theatre, if someone is being distracting, you ask them to please cut it out - if they don't, it's not an issue of laughter anymore. They're just plain rude.
#32
Old 04-13-2005, 05:49 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 2,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time
The reason I find many commercials funny is that they are so surreal because the people in them care SO MUCH about whatever is being sold.

My favorite is a magazine ad for a cake mix that makes into a 9X9 smaller cake. The ad pictured what would happen if the unfortunate housewife didn't use this mix. It showed a Dad, girl and boy sitting at a dinner table. In front of them was a large cake - and they were miserable. Dad was staring at the cake like it was a road kill possum, son was glaring at Mom - "How could you?". The mother was in back ground - upset and miserable. She had failed her family. Her crime? She made a cake that was too big. The horror. If you can't see the humor in a scene that portrays a large cake as tantamount to clubbing baby seals, then there's something wrong with you.
I find most commercials hilarious for the exact same reason. The "characters" in them are so obsessed with the products and so insistent on demonstrating them to you. This is in contrast to real life, where a perseveration with soda pop or batteries or cake mixes (I laughed just reading that description) is considered bizarre and insane. The characters live in a backwards world which is warped toward the advertised product; their world "exists" only to sell you something. We, on the other hand, live in a complicated universe in which there isn't one absolute guiding principle, no Tao of Duracell or Bible of Coca-Cola. Commercials feature people a lot like us functioning in a world totally unlike ours. Therefore, they are surreal. And surreality is funny.

That probably wasn't the thought process of the people in the theater though. They were probably thinking "them slant-eyed people sure do talk funny, hyuck." And that is why I hate people. Right conclusion, wrong process.
#33
Old 04-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrrl
So, you don't think Archive Guy's friend sounds a little annoying?

You must not be bothered by anything at all. And you're lucky if that's true.

I don't really want to "lighten up." I'm pretty happy the way I am. But, I'm also a realist and life gets to me a lot. I can't just laugh at everything and pretend everything is ok all of the time.
No, I understand that laughing all the time could get annoying to some people. But the fact that someone does laugh at everything is almost surreal, and I found the complete surreality of the situation described funny. Perhaps I looked at it the wrong way. Maybe I should have placed myself in Archive Guy's shoes. Still, I've never been bothered by people who laugh a lot, even at things I don't find funny (though I might be puzzled if I don't see what's funny or find the object of humor offensive). There will always be shitty or sad things in life. I don't see a problem with someone not wanting to dwell on them all the time. When bad things happen, they happen big, so I don't see a problem with having a lot of little good moments to balance them out. Life's something to be enjoyed to its fullest whenever you can, even if it's just laughing at the little things.

On preview, what Anastasaeon said.
#34
Old 04-13-2005, 05:53 PM
Member
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: NH
Posts: 21,828
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur8it

Alright here's a tester: WHO thought "Lost in Translation" w/Bill Murray was funny???? Ohhh lordy, that was about as funny as a dead gnat!
LiT is one of the most deadly boring movies I've seen from start to finish, so no, it didn't make me laugh. However, this thread made me laugh so hard I had tears running down my face.

You should laugh when you feel like laughing. It keeps you from bringing fire arms to work.
#35
Old 04-13-2005, 10:37 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by calm kiwi
... Laughing is good for you. Grumps like you will die earlier then smokers like me
Totally!
#36
Old 04-14-2005, 12:23 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: BOWLING BALL MUFFINS
Posts: 1,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Time First Time
My favorite is a magazine ad for a cake mix that makes into a 9X9 smaller cake. The ad pictured what would happen if the unfortunate housewife didn't use this mix. It showed a Dad, girl and boy sitting at a dinner table. In front of them was a large cake - and they were miserable. Dad was staring at the cake like it was a road kill possum, son was glaring at Mom - "How could you?". The mother was in back ground - upset and miserable. She had failed her family. Her crime? She made a cake that was too big. The horror. If you can't see the humor in a scene that portrays a large cake as tantamount to clubbing baby seals, then there's something wrong with you.
I can't stop giggling at this. This is the type of thing I go for. I tend to laugh a lot, but I have a different sort of sense of humor, so most jokes and things that people say just get a smile out of me. It's usually unintentional humor that makes me laugh, and then I can't stop.

Most of the time giggly people don't bother me, unless every single time they laugh it's a really loud guffaw. Then that just gets irritating.
#37
Old 04-14-2005, 12:34 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yumblie
... Most of the time giggly people don't bother me, unless every single time they laugh it's a really loud guffaw. Then that just gets irritating.
well this is probably closer to how I feel... and likewise, if i laugh it's usually from something that was not intentionally funny. And actually my friends tell me they "love" my dry sense of humor .... huh??? Can someone define "dry sense of humor"??? I think they tend to mistake flippant sarcasm for humor, go figr But i guess as long as I felt good whip'n it out and they got their giggles, it's a win-win scenario.
#38
Old 04-14-2005, 01:00 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,544
Who can describe a sense of humor? Nope, not me. I laugh at odd things myself, sometimes at the dumbest stuff. Right, Airplane and Blazing Saddles were both dumb, I knew they were dumb, and still found myself laughing.

I saw Lost In Translation under slightly odd circumstances; the sound on my friend's video deck wasn't working; could hardly hear the movie. It wasn't funny exactly, but I thought I could appreciate the alienation that Murray's character must be feeling - and the Japanese game show was truly surreal. I dunno, I think I smiled a little at the absurdity of it.

I think I like the explanation that we often laugh so that we don't break down and cry.

Oh, and if you see me at some community theater where they're putting on what's supposed to be a comedy - I'll laugh at the jokes (within reason) (my reason, that is) because it's a courtesy for the actors trying the best they can.
#39
Old 04-14-2005, 01:51 AM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: USA
Posts: 17,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur8it
Am i the only person who can't stand people who laugh about every silly thing?!
No. I often watch sitcoms where someone says something really stupid, lame and unfunny and they have the laugh track going full force, telling me that I was supposed to find that funny. People who go through life laughing along with the laugh track, even though it's not actually funny, annoy me.
#40
Old 04-14-2005, 08:54 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Auck, NZ
Posts: 4,406
I work in a kindergarten. Today a little miss tripped and fell on the end of the slide. It was actually a scary moment, one of those injuries you hear and you internally say EEEEEKKKKKKK while appearing to remain calm. She was fine, all sorted out with an ice pack etc.

About an hour later she said "Hey did you see what I did to the slide?"
I followed her to the slide, there was a teensy (well aged crack).

"Did your head do that?" I asked.
"Yep" she proudly answered
"Wow" I said. "Is your head made of concrete?"
"No silly! it's made of wood.......oops I mean bones"

I laughed like a drain. After 5 seconds of indignancy, so did she.

A stupid thing to laugh at but sometimes it is just good to laugh.
#41
Old 04-14-2005, 10:17 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Cambridge, the Boston one
Posts: 3,068
I don't think that I'm more easily amused than most people, so much as I express my amusement more loudly than they do. I laugh really loudly, usually bypassing the chuckle or giggle for the belly-laugh and guffaw. I guess I do often laugh when others don't, but that's often when I pick up on some wordplay or misuse of language that I find amusing. On the other hand, other people laugh a lot more than I do when watching an Austin Powers movie or a Adam Sandler flick (excepting Punch Drunk Love, which was excellent.)
#42
Old 04-14-2005, 10:20 AM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness
Oh, Lord. I once saw Sling Blade at a friend's house with her roommates. One roommate was okay, but another started giggling, and by the climactic scene, he was shrieking with laughter like an epileptic hyena. He was lucky I didn't have me a sling blade.

Daniel
That was me during Sahara.
#43
Old 04-14-2005, 11:21 AM
Guest
Join Date: May 1999
Location: at the right hand of cool
Posts: 36,734
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordPrefect
That was me during Sahara.
Wasn't Sahara a light action movie, though? I've not seen it, but the impression I got is that it had an Indiana Jones sensibility.

Sling Blade is a very grim Southern Gothic character movie. Not liking the movie is perfectly appropriate; ruining its grim mood by laughing hysterically is not. The guy was in his own house: he coulda got up and left if he didn't like it.

Daniel
#44
Old 04-14-2005, 01:14 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Seaford Long Island, NY
Posts: 4,062
Quote:
Originally Posted by ur8it
...I cant' remember a movie I've seen that actually made me laugh out loud...
I guess it's safe to assume in Terms of Endearment, when Nicholson told McLaine
Quote:
You need a lot of drinks...To kill the bug that you have up your ass.
you didn't even crack a smile.
#45
Old 04-14-2005, 04:55 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sleeping Seattleite
Posts: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Hand of Dorkness
Wasn't Sahara a light action movie, though? I've not seen it, but the impression I got is that it had an Indiana Jones sensibility.

Sling Blade is a very grim Southern Gothic character movie. Not liking the movie is perfectly appropriate; ruining its grim mood by laughing hysterically is not. The guy was in his own house: he coulda got up and left if he didn't like it.

Daniel
If it's in your own house, then you can react however you want to a movie!

This sounds exactly like what I've been through on a couple of occasions - people automatically think I don't like a movie because I'm laughing at it. No - if I'm laughing at it, I like it. I don't care what the movie was trying to do, it's like art to me, I'll like it (or not) on my own damn terms.

Ferexample: As a teenager, a girl invited me over to her house to watch a "dramatic" movie. I sat and watched it with her, and began giggling. I can't help it. Those who might be annoyed by this might think I'm giggling at something immature or stupid, foolish or silly - no. I was already making jokes in my head about certain things. My friend asked me why I kept laughing, and so I began to share what was in my head with her. She told me later she had never laughed so hard in her life. She tried at first to act indignant (she's a huge, huge movie buff, even today), and told me "It was a drama, it made me cry the first time I watched it. Why did you hate it so much?" And I responded, "Hate it? I loved it! I had a ball!" She told me for a few weeks that I "ruined" movies.... but then she began calling me up, inviting me over... "Hey, I got this movie I want you to see..." And every time, we'd have a blast. We were best friends for nine year, and it all started with that dramatic movie.
Ferexample two: My ex-fiance, Mark, and my not-yet-even-thought-of-husband, Matt, had me over to watch an anime, that was supposed to be dramatic. I began giggling. The fiance kept threatening to turn it off, and I insisted he leave it. So he asked me to tell why I was giggling. So I began sharing... Matt thought it was hilarious, and told me later that he'd never heard anyone have so much fun watching a movie. The fiance was disappointed by how much I "hated" the movie. Despite my insistance, he somehow "knew" how I felt about it. Yeah, right. I loved that movie. Later in the year, when he asked me what to get my brother for Christmas, I named that anime, and he thought I was making a mean joke. Eventually I convinced him to buy it, and my brother and I watched it together - laughing our heads off.

Don't get me wrong. There have been movies that made my bawl my fool head off, or get really angry, or scared me senseless, or made me really think. And there are some comedies that I just don't find funny (I dislike National Lampoon, or people like Tom Arnold). Sometimes I don't find something funny at first, but then I grow to like it if I see it enough and begin to understand (Dave Chapelle... sometimes). My favourite comedians are Steven Wright and I was just getting into Mitch Hedburg when he died, but I'm a big fan. Movies are entertainment for me, even if that means I'm entertained in a different way than it was "intended" to entertain. As I mentioned before, it's like art: everyone will take something different away from it. Just because my reaction is different than yours doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy it.

I take life seriously when it needs to be, but I'm pretty much a believer in the idea that life is about as serious as you make it, and you can only be as happy as you allow yourself to be. Some things are very serious, and I do not laugh at those times or find them remotely funny. But the small stuff? I burned dinner. Laugh, order pizza. I broke my wrist falling off of my pilates ball a short while ago. Nearly died laughing - could have been worse, I could have broken my neck falling off the ice cream truck. I made a little stuffed animal, as lovingly and carefully as I could for my husband, and it didn't look anything like a teddy bear.. hide it in embarrassment? Throw the thing away and start over? No way, I worked hard on it, I handed it to my husband and we both died laughing. He named it "Catfish". My friend breaks my good china? Laugh! I can buy more, and you should have seen the look of utter horror on her face - as if I would harm a fly! Peee-riceless.

There are big things, and there are little things. There are a lot of little things. I laugh at the little things.

[Mork]Ar ar ar ar. [/Mork]
#46
Old 04-14-2005, 05:17 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon
FTR, I didn't find the guy in ArchiveGuy's post annoying, however, I could see how it could be to some people, and once again, in a public movie theatre, if someone is being distracting, you ask them to please cut it out - if they don't, it's not an issue of laughter anymore. They're just plain rude.
But what do you say? "Please stop laughing"? "Please don't find that funny"?

It is an honest reaction. He laughs constantly, and it can be extremely distracting, particularly in the types of movies that we frequent, but just because it's irritating/maddening doesn't necessarily make it rude.

Think of it this way--imagine someone is behind you in a movie, drunk. You can't smell it, and they aren't behaving in a rude way, but they're laughing at the tiniest unfunny things all the time, the way drunk people do. Sometimes it's titters, but sometimes it's snorts or guffaws or whatever.

That is my friend. Except he's not drunk and he's not dumb. He is just the most-easily amused person I've ever met. And what's weird is when you talk to him, he doesn't react to people's conversations that way. And I doubt he acts that way in, say, a live theater production.

But he does in the movies. And if it were movies that didn't involve an extra special effort to attend, I'd never have anything to complain about because I'd never go when he's there. But they are so I do, and he may be rude, but I still don't have to like it.
#47
Old 04-14-2005, 05:20 PM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: STLMO
Posts: 6,151
Sounds like someone has a case of the Mondays!
#48
Old 04-14-2005, 05:37 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sleeping Seattleite
Posts: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiveGuy
But what do you say? "Please stop laughing"? "Please don't find that funny"?
"Could you try to keep it down?"

You don't have to tell him to stop laughing, or to not find something funny. Just find it funny quietly. If he can't, not because he's trying to be rude, but just can't , perhaps you should move somewhere where you would be less distracted. If that's impossible, I don't know what to tell you... short of sounding rude myself and saying "cope." (ew, what a useless phrase that is, in any incarnation). Perhaps someone else can chime in with a better example/scenario. Mine is limited, because though I can be distracted by some things, it isn't annoying to me. Or hyperfocused....

I don't know what to say, really. Different people have varying tolerances for different things. Perhaps it's because I have ADD? People around me don't disturb me if I'm really trying to get into something, like a movie, I become, without thinking about it, hyperfocused. My husband is distracted by people munching popcorn too loudly, or slurping too loudly, or scuffling, or moving around, or whispering, or chattering... and he'll turn to me and say "Don't you find that annoying?" And I'll turn to him and say "Huh? What? Sorry, I was watching the movie."
#49
Old 04-14-2005, 05:43 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Sleeping Seattleite
Posts: 5,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchiveGuy

But they are so I do, and he may be rude, but I still don't have to like it.
Oh, and this line....

Nobody has to like anything. But it's still your problem in the end.

I don't know how to teach tolerance.

(That's not meant as an insult or a shot at you, ArchiveGuy, I just have no idea how else to put it).
#50
Old 04-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon
I don't know how to teach tolerance.
Whatever--being distracted by disruptive behavior is not a sign of "intolerance". And being confrontational is pointless, since something as spontaneous as laughter is hardly something easily controlled. I may not like it, but that doesn't give me a right to be a prick about it either.

But this is only "my problem" in the same way it's "your problem" if you complain about how I smell if I haven't bathed in a week.

So I'm "coping" just fine--but the OP brought up PwaEA, and this was a Grade-A example.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: asian bimbo tumblr wart removing bandaids cattle rustling laws drano bathroom sink universal seat belts spam origin coffee whitener chopped it up boat ss meaning warshawski auto gitter done cowboy yodle girlfriend wants dp amazon watch warranty tabasco expiration do blanks hurt turret gunners chloroform kidnapping ww2 wallet iv message board newspaper carriers pay balance challenge trimps carrot mind trick sell vintage fur tums canker sore acetaminophen 800mg taxi driver ending cyclic rate wells fargo paywave make yourself passout is beans a vegetable crouching tiger hidden dragon meaning long term effects of electrocution anti icky poo vs nature's miracle i got a married woman pregnant what are my rights throwing garbage in dumpster trick math word problems can you take benadryl with claritin d how to stitch yourself how to clean tweezers artists similar to elton john lion compared to human straight guys gay experience what two great lakes border wisconsin bed risers under box spring dope usernames for snapchat what is line in audio jack no shirt no shoes no dice how to connect cable box to computer monitor half siblings from mother's side movies like legends of the fall toilet tank bolts rusted was isaac newton a virgin does breastfeeding make your nipples bigger prilosec over the counter vs prescription lump below knee cap no pain millennium station to union station fuck you and the horse what is the difference between a lake and a sea by the hour motels near me milkshake brings all the guys to the yard meaning necklace to hold wedding band water coming from exhaust pipe