Old 04-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Charter Member
Quote ID: ''So it is written. . . so it shall be"

I overheard a conversation recently in which someone made the comment that that was "in the Bible." I didn't think it was (and I wasn't a part of the conversation, anyway), and I pretty muck verified that with an online Bible search engine.

I think the earliest reference I know of is the 1956 version of "The Ten Commandments." Any earlier cite than that?
Old 04-20-2005, 01:02 AM
Charter Member
It's not quite the same thing, but it made me think automatically of the scene in the gospels where Pilate is challenged by the Jews about the inscription on Christ's cross. The Jews say something like, "you should not have written King of the Jews. Instead you should have written this man claimed to be the King of the Jews". And Pilate's answer was (in the Latin of the Vulgate):

quod scripsi, scripsi

meaning, I have written what I have written and this is what it's going to be.
Old 04-20-2005, 04:11 AM
Charter Member
The exact quote does appear to originate as Yul Brinner's line in The Ten Commandments, but I think the concept goes back to some ancient concepts of law such as the Medes and Persians thing (in the Bible); where a law -once wriitten- could not be changed. (I'm not sure how historically verifiable this is though).

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off