Old 04-21-2005, 04:32 PM
Charter Member
Does your cat like getting its butt scratched?

My cats do not. In fact, I have never known any cat that enjoys it. In my case, both of my totally mellow level 1 purring hairy doorstop cats, upon me scratching their butts, will spin their heads around and try and discourage me from scratching there. Other cats I've known will turn around and nip at me. I'm not scratching too hard - indeed pressure doesn't even seem to matter - just the fact that I'm doing it. In the case of my cats, they love getting scratched elsewhere, especially around the neck region. They also don't mind scratching all the way down their backs starting at the neck, as long as I don't begin at the butt.

My dog, on the other hand, enjoys it so much that he will spin around and back towards someone he has just met hoping to get a butt scratch. (They seem plenty surprised by that, lemme tell you). Rolling over for a tummy scratch - not so much. He just wants the butt scratch.

I was going to ask this in GQ, thinking maybe there was a GQ type answer for it, but decided my sample size was too small. Obviously, I need to poll some results here.

Errors in geography:
Krakatoa is west of Java.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Yep, in fact, Brat is an odd cat.

She won't lay there and be petted.

If she's laying down and you start to pet her, she will stand up, walk around and put her butt up to be scratched.

For some reason petting doesn't relax her like most cats.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:14 PM
By "butt," you are referring to the region above the tail, right? Because if you are, my Minny loves to be scratched, patted--even sort of spanked there. And if you are talking about the region below the tail--ewwwww! I don't touch my cats there!
Old 04-21-2005, 05:22 PM
Above the tail butt scritches are medium popular with my current cats. Just a few of the cats (and dogs) I've met didn't like a little scratching.

Have you pulled their ears? I do a sort of rubbing, twisting, pull thing that cats like and many dogs just love.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:27 PM
Both of my cats adore it to the point that they hate it - in other words, I will start scratching there (base of the tail, of course - topside), and they will suddenly freeze, and their eyes will close, and they will suddenly purr loudly.... and they will whip their little heads around, while I continue to scratch, alternating rubbing my wrist with their little cheeks, and nipping at me. It usually ends after they've had enough, with them rolling onto their back and wrapping all four of their paws tightly around my forearm, and rubbing their faces all over my entire hand, as if I just gave them the best orgasm in the world. Sometimes I'll get a little kick from the hind legs, as well, just so I don't forget who the boss is. Just because I'm being slathered in ultimate thanks doesn't mean I'm any higher than a peasant who brings them their food.
Old 04-21-2005, 05:55 PM
Well, our cats purr, and they're eyes glaze over, and they start kneading and drooling, so I guess they don't mind too much.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:04 PM
Charter Member
Both my cats love that. Causes a severe case of "elevator butt."
Old 04-21-2005, 06:09 PM
When I first read the OP I thought you meant their buttholes. I couldn't believe how casual you were talking about it.

And my reply was going to be - "Well yeah, who doesn't?"

Then I realized you were talking about the area above their tail and my reply is - "Well yeah, who doesn't?"
Old 04-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon
Both of my cats adore it to the point that they hate it - in other words, I will start scratching there (base of the tail, of course - topside), and they will suddenly freeze, and their eyes will close, and they will suddenly purr loudly.... and they will whip their little heads around, while I continue to scratch, alternating rubbing my wrist with their little cheeks, and nipping at me. It usually ends after they've had enough, with them rolling onto their back and wrapping all four of their paws tightly around my forearm, and rubbing their faces all over my entire hand, as if I just gave them the best orgasm in the world. Sometimes I'll get a little kick from the hind legs, as well, just so I don't forget who the boss is. Just because I'm being slathered in ultimate thanks doesn't mean I'm any higher than a peasant who brings them their food.
Are our cats related? You could have been describing what I go through x8.
Old 04-21-2005, 06:16 PM
Oh yes, the cats get the elevator butt, and the dogs become paralysed, apparently in the hopes that I will never stop!
Old 04-21-2005, 07:03 PM
Charter Member
My cat will whip around if I try to pet her side, but not her butt or her head. Probably has to do with the huge tumor she has on her back (she's 17 and the vet says they'd have to take so much out the operation will most likely do her as much harm as the tumor, cancerous or not.)
Old 04-21-2005, 07:49 PM
Dooku, I think your cats DO like it.

That's (iirc) a very sexual area for cats, which is why they stick their butts up for easy access when you scratch them there.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Charter Member
Well, they don't actually stick their butts up in the air. They're laying in my lap, for example, and I try and scratch them there (yes, I mean the upper butt tail area, sickos ) and they don't like it. They either turn around and force my hand off, or jump down. These aren't old cats so I don't think there's any issues back there. My friends' cats were a little older, though.

Ah well. Glad I didn't make it a GQ.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:28 PM
One my cats loves it, the other is so-so about it. They are litter-mate sisters, raised together. So like people, it all comes down to personal preference.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooku
I mean the upper butt tail area, sickos
Tybalt the Fuzzy Black Land Shark really enjoys being scratched on the backs of his thighs very close to his bunghole. He actually leans back and pressed against the petter's fingers. One must be careful, of course, lest one anally fingerbang the feline, but if one avoids the pooptrap, the cat has a wonderful time.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:33 PM
Our three cats like it very much, one in particular. His eyes glaze over, he purrs extra hard, and he stretches out and enjoys it to the hilt. I start at the base of his tail and scratch slowly up his spine to his neck and head and back down again, and then rub him all over to smooth out his fur. Then I get head-butted and rubbed against because he loves having that done to him.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS
Both my cats love that. Causes a severe case of "elevator butt."
And causes them to always lay down with their butt right at ya and expect you to spank it. I had to tell my buddy to stop spanking my cat because it was turning him into quite a rude fellow.

I know he likes it, but I have to indulge him in other ways. Cat butt is not a fun thing to have in your face.
Old 04-21-2005, 10:25 PM
All the kitties I know adore butt scratching-they will wiggle and purr.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:00 PM
My old cat Buster adored the spanky-thing. He'd do the elevator-butt, kinda claw into me a bit, and do the head-nuzzly thing into my leg.

Also, I think Anally Fingerbang The Feline sounds like a title of one of Salvador Dali's more risque' paintings.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:47 AM
hehehehe

My girl-cat acts like Anastasaeon's. Yeah, my arm is full of scratches sometimes.

Her brother doesn't like it at all. So my arm will have scratches again.

I think the reason the male cat doesn't like it is because he has arthritis [they're 11 years old] Maybe it hurts when I scratch him. Poor fatso.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gum
hehehehe

My girl-cat acts like Anastasaeon's.
Hmm... my cats are both female. I wonder if that has any effect? Both spayed, as well, but my oldest had gone into once before.

And only one of my girls sticks her little bum in my face. As Indygrrl has mentioned, it is not a pleasant thing. I try to scratch her behind her ears as much as possible. I can stand a little cat breath. Cat musk is a bit too Chanel for me.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anastasaeon
but my oldest had gone into once before.
And once, she even went into heat.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:48 AM
hehehehe at Chanel. [I got the 'heat' part]
Old 04-22-2005, 09:04 AM
My vet taught me to rub/scratch the area in front of the tail on my two absolutely feral young cats - and she taught me to force pet them wrapped in a towel to create a relationship. It worked. Many cats only want their owner to do it and react badly. But some cats unfamiliar are confused and act funny - I go to places and do it to peoples' cats and the cat goes (happily) berserk and the owners get rabid that i have upset their cat - which is usu. expected to sleep, eat & look out the window and nothing else.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:13 AM
My cats all love it; it induces "Bum in the Air" - aka Elevator Butt. (My kitties do not use such vulgarities as the word "butt." Sniff.)
Old 04-22-2005, 10:52 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member
It used to be that Booger the tomcat hated it, so I'd do it just to annoy him. "Cept I've done it to him so much now that he's beginning to like it.

I don't know about Audrey, the calico Maine Coon. She avoids me like the plague, and I'm fine with that.
Old 04-22-2005, 11:25 AM
Does anyone else's cat turn into a licking fiend if you scratch there? Two of mine start frantically licking the air or your arm or their own foot if you scratch them.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:11 PM
Neminem crede, Nihil non disqu
Charter Member
Quill (apt description of her tail) engages in the elevated posterior mode quite willingly. I've sometimes rubbed the base of her tail so long that my arms start cramping.

But there's a limit.

She'll be purring away, but the first sign of danger comes when the ears start turning backwards. The tail then starts switching back with tip looking like the rattler of a rattlesnake. Wise men would cease and desist, but I tread where fools go. Suddenly, shell spins around wrapping her paws around my hand and starts nipping hard with her claws extended digging (sometimes she draws blood, sometimes not), while her rear legs pounding on my forearm with mock scratching. Then she jumps away, sits on floor with her back to turn to me; the tail and ears still showing offense.

About five minutes later she jumps up for another treatment and the cycle starts all over again. My wife is both humored and disgusted by this behavior and routinely calls her "Kitty Slut".
Old 04-22-2005, 01:27 PM
Ashes, Ashes, My Ralph loves to have his ears twisted and pulled. He also loves butt scratches and the kind of spanking-petting at his boodie.
Old 04-22-2005, 01:44 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indygrrl
I know he likes it, but I have to indulge him in other ways. Cat butt is not a fun thing to have in your face.
As if a cat owner has a choice!
Old 04-22-2005, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cervaise
One must be careful, of course, lest one anally fingerbang the feline
I love this line and I wish I could use it but I can't see encountering a situation in which it would be socially acceptable.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgoddess
Does anyone else's cat turn into a licking fiend if you scratch there? Two of mine start frantically licking the air or your arm or their own foot if you scratch them.
Yep. She does. Licks anything nearby.

hehehe user_hostile. My cat does the same. And she bites my hand too. Since she's a tiny cat, she has tiny teeth and nails, but the amount of blood coming from my arm sometimes is amazing.
Old 04-22-2005, 05:51 PM
Quote:
Yup, mine does. Some times, for fun, I'll scratch her till her tongue gets going, then I'll stop, the tongue'll stop, I'll start back up, and the tongue'll go right back out, licking the air. She's so damned cute and helpless when that happens.
Old 04-22-2005, 06:54 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Dooku, I think your cats DO like it.

That's (iirc) a very sexual area for cats, which is why they stick their butts up for easy access when you scratch them there.
In the name of science I tried this again last night. I can confirm that they most certainly do not like it.
Old 04-22-2005, 08:41 PM
'member this little guy (8 pics down)? He liked the butt scratches.

Dave Spiegel
Old 04-22-2005, 09:03 PM
You guys do realize you are all masturbating your cats, indirectly. Eeew.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika
You think that's bad, there's one Doper who perfomed analingus on a dog.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuckerfan
You think that's bad, there's one Doper who perfomed analingus on a dog.
I saw that thread. That was one Doper. These are a bunch of people, all doing the same thing.

Hey Tuckerfan, haven't gotten an e-mail from you in a while. Everything all right?
Old 04-23-2005, 12:54 AM
Charter Member
Seven cats in my household, all in favor of butt-scratching. Eddy gets so into it, he does a sort of shoulder-dive into whatever he's standing on as his nether regions soar.

Most of them adore belly rubs, too, although the real fanatic for belly skritches is my 23-year-old Quarter Horse, who'll bulge out his side at any available human, and paw in frustration if his invitation is ignored.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:55 AM
Perhaps, for unspayed female cats in heat, this could be considered masturbating your cat... (or rather, teasing her) But in most cases it's not.

It's a condition called feline hyperethsia. You can read about it on page 2 of this article.

and here

My cat has this... the skin rippling, tail swooshing... doesn't like to be pet along his spine or the base of his tail. And the hallucinations... I'm always teasing him about chasing ghost mice.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:00 AM
Quote:
A couple of questions to everyone who has cats that do this...
1) Do you feed your cat at regular intervals, or do you have a bowl of food available all the time?
2) Even if you do have dry food available all the time, do you still occassionally give canned food?
3) Do you pet your cat after you've put food in its bowl and it's eating?

My grandmother had a cat with some serious Pavlovian conditioning because pretty much the only time she had anything to do with the cat was when she has already gone through the trouble of bending over to put a can of food in its dish. The cat pretty much didn't have anything to do with anybody (including my grandmother) other than that.

It would be wandering around and you could lean over and rub his shoulders and he'd crouch down and lick the ground and his front feet. You'd stop and he'd getu p and start to hurry off, at which point you could pounce on him and rub his shoulder and he'd do it again. So you'd stop and he'd start to spring away, but you'd rub his shoulders and he'd go back to licking the floor more and more frantically. I don't think he liked it... which was fine, because I didn't like him.

Every cat I've owned, male or female, has enjoyed a good tail scritchin'.

My brother had a gray long haired cat that at first wouldn't let you touch anything but his ears... and then you could move back once he'd had enough of that. Then you could scratch at his tail, or go back to the ears if you liked, but he'd prefer you stuck with the base of the tail. Then he'd roll over, grab your hand, and poor unsuspecting souls would think "Oh, he wants a tummy rub" at this point, wouldn't you? He counted on that, because he'd let you get a few pats in and then he'd push your hand down. Little pervert.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaamika
I like to feel I am providing a much-needed service to them. Since our girls are spayed and indoor-only cats, they just can't get it any other way. An outlet for the castrati, you see.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:45 AM
1010011010, my cat always has dry food available and she's an absolute attention whore, and isn't happy unless she can be curled up on me. Some of her other behaviours are apparently indicative of her being improperly weaned as a kitten.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:23 AM
Charter Member
A different stroke for different folk: The tail-pull. No, I don't mean grabbing and yanking. I mean when you're stroking down the back from shoulders to rump. Instead of stopping there, when I get to the tailhead I close my hand around the tail and continue the stroke to the very tip, with just enough of a grasp that the cat can lean into it. And they do, they love it, they purr like maniacs.

Sometimes I'll hold and pull just enough to lift their hind ends an inch or two off the ground. Again, this is a slow pull, not a yank. They love it so much, when I let go they whip around and ask for more.

I should point out I start them on this as kittens, very gently. There've been a few times I've unthinkingly done it with other cats who haven't learned to enjoy this, and pissed them off.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:09 AM
Don't know, never tried. I do know he doesn't much care for getting his butt kicked.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:40 PM
Confusing the Polarity
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddyTeddyFreddy
Sometimes I'll hold and pull just enough to lift their hind ends an inch or two off the ground. Again, this is a slow pull, not a yank. They love it so much, when I let go they whip around and ask for more.
I do this to all three of my cats, and they all seem to like it. They don't go crazy over it and beg for more, but they certainly don't try to leave or seem annoyed in any way.