Old 05-26-2005, 10:27 AM
Wine question: Glass/Carafe/Bottle

More and more frequently I find myself ordering wine with dinner. Is there a standard way to convert between glasses, half carafes, carafes, and bottles?

For instance, if a glass of house wine is $3.50, and a half carafe is $8.00, is there a way to decide which would be most economical? If a glass of X wine is $4.00 and a bottle is $22.00 is there a way to decide?

And now a toast, to all who respond....
Old 05-26-2005, 10:49 AM
A standard bottle of wine is 750 ml, which is approx 25.4oz. Assuming a 6oz glass of wine, that's about 4.25 glasses/bottle. Is 1 liter the standard carafe size? If so, that's 33.8oz and about 5.5 glasses/carafe.

In my experince you almost always get more wine for your dollar by ordering by the bottle instead of the glass. In practice though, buying the bottle doesn't always work out. Maybe not everyone wants the same red wine you do, or maybe you don't have enough drinkers to down a whole bottle (or a second).
Old 05-26-2005, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ass For A Hat
In my experince you almost always get more wine for your dollar by ordering by the bottle instead of the glass.
Cool. That was what I was wondering. My gf and I can usually decide on one wine, and we can always find a way to finish the wine.
Old 05-26-2005, 10:55 AM
Quote:
Is 1 liter the standard carafe size?
Yes.

Posting Rules