Old 06-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Charter Member
What is the significance of 808 ??

I had thought I asked this before. Always wanted to ask it, and my post count now reminds me of it.

What exactly does 808 mean?

1. Why does it appear on Bicycle Ace of spades, and Jokers?

2.What do the beastie boys mean when they say "...Like an 808" ? (Super Disco)
Old 06-01-2005, 08:17 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko
I had thought I asked this before. Always wanted to ask it, and my post count now reminds me of it.

2. "808" in rap music generally refers to the Roland TR-808, an early 80s-era drum machine that had some kick-ass sounds, particularly the kick drum. It's still very much prized for its sounds.
Old 06-01-2005, 08:20 AM
It's got a double meaning, also being a (California?) penal code, for breach of the peace.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:11 AM
Was gonna say too that 808 in some old school stuff usually refers to the deep bass sound the Roland 808 made. I remember hearing the phrase "808 bass", because it kinda rhymed, and I'm pretty sure I've heard the term Roland in more than one song.
Don't know about the Ace of spades part or the Joker.
Old 06-01-2005, 09:12 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeko

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:15 AM
808 also happens to be Hawaii's area code. Not that I think that has much to do with common usage.
Old 06-01-2005, 10:39 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaMan
It's got a double meaning, also being a (California?) penal code, for breach of the peace.
Hmm...never heard this one. Do you have a source on that? Not that I don't believe you, I just can't find a reference to this anywhere, not even urbandictionary.com, and in the context of rap songs I've heard, the "808" refers to the drum machine. (Actually, the only lyric that comes to mind right now is the Beastie Boys' "Super Disco Breaking" line "nothing sounds quite like an 8-0-8.")
Old 06-01-2005, 10:46 AM
I've heard the penal code explanation juxtaposed with other such examples, e.g.
Quote:
Try to set me up for a 211...get caught up in a 187
Old 06-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Definitely the drum machine for the rap question, but that still doesn't answer the card question.

(And in this internet day and age, I'm tempted to think that a general "808" would mean "I've looked twice, and still didn't find your file.")
Old 06-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NE Texan
Definitely the drum machine for the rap question, but that still doesn't answer the card question.
It appears to be a case for Occam's Razor:
Quote:
Contrary to some opinions, this number has no mystical meaning. It is merely a reference number distinguishing this brand from others (such as "606") by the same company.
http://usplayingcard.com/history.html
Old 06-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulykamell
2. "808" in rap music generally refers to the Roland TR-808, an early 80s-era drum machine that had some kick-ass sounds, particularly the kick drum. It's still very much prized for its sounds.
I clicked on that link, and my workplace web filter blocked it, saying "Sex" is filtered.

WTF?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie
I clicked on that link, and my workplace web filter blocked it, saying "Sex" is filtered.

WTF?
Hmmm, the closest I see to Sex on that page is the word Specs. Maybe your filter even filters out words that rhyme with sex. Where do you work, in Utah?
Old 06-01-2005, 01:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyHomie

WTF?
Checked out the source for the page. The main content frame is hosted away from the tr-808.com domain:
Quote:
<FRAME SRC="http://p0rn0palace.nl/TR-808/" NORESIZE>
(URL has been fudged so that this thread doesn't get anyone in hot water -- but you get the idea.) Every link on the page (innocent though they may be) also points to that provocative-sounding domain.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaMan
This is the text of Section 808 of the California Penal Code:

808. The following persons are magistrates:
(a) The judges of the Supreme Court.
(b) The judges of the courts of appeal.
(c) The judges of the superior courts.

The California Penal Code section for homicide is 187.
Old 06-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobT
This is the text of Section 808 of the California Penal Code:
Darn and drat. I guess the drum machine has it. (Where the hell did my memory take that wrong turn? )
Old 06-01-2005, 02:52 PM
On an LED display, it reads as "Bob."
Old 06-01-2005, 04:18 PM
Upside down....even.