Old 08-10-2005, 11:45 PM
What happened to Carrie from Little House ???

All right, this is insane, and I KNOW it. And yet.. and yet this question haunts me. I used to watch "Little House on the Prairie" reruns obsessively, and I realized that I didn't know the answer to one mystery: what was the fate of Carrie Ingalls on the show?? I know what happened to Laura and Mary, and I also remember all those other kids they adopted, but when it comes to Carrie, it's as if someone wiped a sponge over my mind. PLEASE help me with this. What the plotlines that involved her? Where did she end up? What happened???
Old 08-10-2005, 11:54 PM
I didn't watch the show often, but here's what happened to the real Carrie:

"Carrie, after graduating from high school, worked for the local newspaper. This is where she learned the printing and publishing trade. Her career as a pioneer newspaperman eventually extended to many papers in western South Dakota. Carrie tried homesteading and proved to be successful as she proved up her claim. She met and married David Swanzey in 1912 in Keystone, South Dakota. David was a widower with two small children. Carrie helped to raise his children but they never had children of their own. Carrie died in 1946 at the age of 76 and is buried in the De Smet cemetery."

http://liwms.com/discover.html#q12
Old 08-11-2005, 09:05 AM
The reason you can't remember is probably because Carrie's character got the shaft on the show. First they added Albert, then Cassandra and James, and Carrie was all but forgotten in the story lines. She might have been in a scene, but had very few lines and never really had stories of her own as she got older.

As pinkfreud already noted, Carrie was actually quite a successful writer herself. In fact, she was successful before her sister was.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:27 AM
Charter Member
Well there was that unfortunate incident at the Prom...
Old 08-11-2005, 11:12 PM
Obviously, that was how Carrie got revenge for being written out of the show.

That would explain it, though... why I have no memory of what happened to her in the TV version. Poor, poor Carrie. Luckily, it sounds like the real Carrie Ingalls had a much more interesting life-- to be honest, it sounds better than the way Laura's life turned out.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anise
I don't think it was revenge so much. This was the American frontier- you were bound to get pig blood on you sooner or later.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anise
I don't think it was revenge so much as happen-so. This was the American frontier- you were bound to get pig blood on you sooner or later.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Charter Member
You'd think the Ingalls genetics would have thrived. Alas, they all seemed to have played out the line once Rose Wilder Lane died w/o children.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:23 AM
Right Hand of the Master
Charter Member
Moderator comment: I have edited the thread title to reflect WHICH Carrie you mean. There's a buncha them. The more specific a thread title, the more relevant the comments you'll get back.