Old 08-29-2005, 01:16 PM
SDSAB
Who eats Pop-Tarts with butter?

A friend of mine does, which surprised me when I first learned of it. She's from Maryland and thinks it might be a regional thing. If you eat your Pop-Tarts with butter, where did you learn to do so?
Old 08-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by William V.
A friend of mine does, which surprised me when I first learned of it. She's from Maryland and thinks it might be a regional thing. If you eat your Pop-Tarts with butter, where did you learn to do so?
Yep...butter or peanut butter.

Where does one "learn" to eat anything? It sounded good, so I tried it.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Yup, butter on the backs. I saw a friend of mine butter the frosting side once and, of course, decried her as the heathen she was.
Old 08-29-2005, 01:55 PM
Slathered in butter.

I have to have the un-frosted kind though. I hate that cement frosting they put on pop-tarts.

My son thinks I'm insane. But then again, he eats the cement frosting kind so what does he know.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:09 PM
Once, when I was a kid, my grandmother asked if I wanted butter on the pop-tart she was making me. I hooted and derided her until my throat was sore. Although I now regret that uncouth behaviour, I have never once, from that time to this, desired to put butter on a pop-tart.

By the way, some say the worst way to have a pop-tart is stapled to your heart, or fired directly into your face from a shotgun. Others claim "through the eyes" is the worst way. YMMV.
Old 08-29-2005, 02:30 PM
I'm in Maryland also (but not born here) and I put butter on the unfrosted kind. I prefer the brown-sugar cinnamon flavor best. My husband is a born-and-bred Marylander and he puts butter on the frosted blueberry kind. He's a heathen, IMO.

(Obviously, we're talking toasted Pop-Tarts, of course, right? No one puts butter on cold Pop-Tarts. )
Old 08-29-2005, 02:53 PM
Charter Member
Not me. Yuck.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:21 PM
Butter? Never. Doesn't even sound good.

Peanut butter, on the other hand, makes God's Own Poptart. Mmmmmm.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:29 PM
Butter... on a poptart? Sorry, but that's one conocotion (sp?) I'm not too eager to try.
Old 08-29-2005, 03:44 PM
My dad did it. So I do it, too. But only the unfrosted ones. We only ever had the unfrosted ones when I was growing up.

I can't remember the last time I had a PopTart. Wow, I really miss them. May have to put them on my shopping list for this week.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:32 PM
Yikes! Butter on a pop tart? Is there any particular flavor that is better when buttered? I love the vanilla filled ones, myself. But plain, thanks.

Not only does it sound less tasty, but have you looked at how much fat is in there to begin with?
Old 08-29-2005, 04:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
Who eats Pop-Tarts with butter?

Sickos...the criminally insane...people who kick puppies...Michael Jackson...the list goes on and on.
Old 08-29-2005, 04:42 PM
Butter with poptarts? I've never heard of this.

Then again, people have different tastes, so to speak.

I mean, some people have eaten pickles with peanut butter. Heh.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:16 PM
Baltimorian checking in...

I've never, ever heard of such a thing. It sounds like something one would do when attempting a very unorthodox weight-gain regimen. Christ, I think I might walk an extra mile tonight just for having *read* this thread.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Charter Member
Butter dipped into sugar
Old 08-29-2005, 08:31 PM
MMMMMmmmmmm, butter on Pop-Tarts!

It's best on the Chocolate Fudge PT's, makes them taste like brownies.

It's gotta be real butter, tho. None of that spread or margarine stuff.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:41 PM
You guys are sick! I can't stand poptarts anymore, and the thought of butter just ruined my morning.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hentor the Barbarian
Yikes! Butter on a pop tart? Is there any particular flavor that is better when buttered? I love the vanilla filled ones, myself. But plain, thanks.

Not only does it sound less tasty, but have you looked at how much fat is in there to begin with?
Brown-sugar cinnamon with butter are the best..
Old 08-29-2005, 08:53 PM
I thought for sure this was a Homer Simpson Thread.
Dr. Nick: Instead of making sandwiches with bread, use pop tarts. Instead of chewing gum, chew bacon.
Bart: You could brush your teeth with milkshakes.
Dr. Nick: Hey, did you go to Hollywood Upstairs Medical College too?

I had a friend that use to take 2 pop tart and spread Nutella between them.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:09 PM
...butter? Erg.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:15 PM
I'd definitely try the butter on the fudge or cinnimon poptarts, but which ones would go well with peanut butter? Chocolate?
Old 08-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Butter. On frosted or unfrosted maple sugar-cinnamon pop-tarts.

I grew up in Virginia, but learned it from my mother who grew up in Florida. However, I'm not sure how long Pop Tarts have been around, so she may have learned it in Virginia.

E.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:28 PM
Philistines.

I no longer consume pop tarts. Pop tarts with butter sounds heinous. Toaster Strudel rules*.

For those times when I actually would eat something like that for breakfast. It's usually the whole yogurt, bran, and dried fruit thing for me.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:34 PM
[Cartman]
Mom, can you go make me a toaster-pastry-chocolate-mix-butter bar?!
[/Cartman]
Old 08-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaade
ditto!

Unfrosted brown sugar cinnamon slathered with buddah. Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't think I "learned" to eat them that way since I'm the only one in my family that likes them.
Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 AM
I'm originally from Maryland, and I say Eeeeeewwwww!!!! to the idea of butter on Pop-Tarts.

But I'm not a big butter fan in general.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:37 AM
I like butter on frosted berry flavors, especially strawberry. anything else (unfrosted, or non-berry varieties), no butter. I don't care in the least if it's butter or some vaguely butter-like imitation. learnt it in Ar-kin-saw.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:30 AM
Butter on a pop tart?! Never thought of it before. Sounds a bit gross though. I don't plan on trying it any time soon. Although I do now fancy a pop tart. I haven't had one in months.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:38 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Briston
Sickos...the criminally insane...people who kick puppies...Michael Jackson...the list goes on and on.
And...Bassalopes!!!

Old 08-30-2005, 07:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor
And...Bassalopes!!!

Damn! Beat me by twenty minutes!
Old 08-30-2005, 07:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaade
Yep, that's what I mentioned in my first post. The fruity ones are just too sweet.
Old 08-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Never heard of buttering a Pop Tart, but since I'll butter just about anything and like it (butteraholic) maybe I'll try it sometime.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
Butter dipped into sugar
Did anyone else ever eat "milk toast"? Make toast, butter liberally, and sprinkle with a healthy layer of white sugar. Lay it on a plate and pour milk from the edge so it spreads out under and through the toast (not on top). Yum. Down-home goodness.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:37 AM
I've lived in MD most of my life and I have never even heard of putting anything on a Pop-Tart. I doubt it's a MD thing, because no one I know has ever done such a thing. Thinking about it though, it doesn't sound that bad (except calorie-wise of course) and with the right flavors, it's probably pretty tasty.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
Did anyone else ever eat "milk toast"? Make toast, butter liberally, and sprinkle with a healthy layer of white sugar. Lay it on a plate and pour milk from the edge so it spreads out under and through the toast (not on top). Yum. Down-home goodness.

No, but when I was little I used to put butter and sugar on a piece of toast and then microwave it. Made the sugar all warm and good
Old 08-30-2005, 12:35 PM
Charter Member
I keep seeing this thread title, so I had to pop in and agree with others that the thought of buttering one's pop tart simply disgusts me, to the tune of putting a dollop of Crisco on your cheeseburger or adding some honey to one's Coke.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:38 PM
Quote:
... and sprinkle with a healthy layer of white sugar.
IANANutritionist, but I don't believe "healthy layer" and "white sugar" belong in the same sentence.

(JFTR, I only eat Pop-Tarts once in a while. Yes, I sometimes butter them, if I can find the unfrosted brown-sugar cinnamon kind. I had full bloodwork done at the beginning of the summer and I'm quite healthy. Just so's you know.)
Old 08-30-2005, 01:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenman
I keep seeing this thread title, so I had to pop in and agree with others that the thought of buttering one's pop tart simply disgusts me, to the tune of putting a dollop of Crisco on your cheeseburger or adding some honey to one's Coke.
One time, I saw a chef on TV add duck fat to his hamburgers. Not having any duckfat, I decided to add Crisco to the burger meat before cooking.

Not bad. Nice texture, but just too greasy. It didn't ruin the burgers, but I haven't replicated it either.

Butter on a pop-tart? Dang, why not. . .compared to what's in a pop-tart I consider butter health food.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiblioCat
IANANutritionist, but I don't believe "healthy layer" and "white sugar" belong in the same sentence.
But, but, it's free of unhealthful dyes.

Ravenman, what about mayonnaise on your cheeseburger?

--gigi, who got teased for salting her breakfast sausage
Old 08-30-2005, 04:43 PM
Oooh, while I am far too fond of butter, I think Pop-Tarts are nasty. So, no here.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Pop-tarts are nasty muck. Not the sort of thing you need for breakfast. And putting butter on them is about the most unhealthy thing you could do, they already have quite a bit of fat in them.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrfranchi
I had a friend that use to take 2 pop tart and spread Nutella between them.
When I run out of bread I make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches with unfrosted strawberry Pop-tarts as the bread and peanut butter in between (tops of the Pop-tarts facing out, so the concave backs create a cavity for holding peanut butter.) I mean come on, the jelly is built in to the bread!

The butter idea sounds foul but I realize that reaction is unwarranted without proper investigation, so I'll definitely try buttering my next Pop-tart so I can make an informed judgment.

As a minor aside, when my friend runs low on groceries, this is one of his favorite concoctions: a peanut butter and cookie dough sandwich on white bread. He tells me the next step is to try adding a layer of Fluff.
Old 08-30-2005, 05:06 PM
Remind me, what is the fattest nation in the world?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future days
Lardistan?
Butterton?
Criscola?
Old 08-30-2005, 05:54 PM
Quote:
But, but, it's free of unhealthful dyes.

Ravenman, what about mayonnaise on your cheeseburger?

--gigi, who got teased for salting her breakfast sausage
I'm not Ravenman, but I put mayo on cheeseburgers. A healthy layer of mayo and a sprinkling of kosher salt on the bottom bun, and then the hot burger on top of it. Yum. If it's good enough for Alton Brown, it's good enough for me. Yum.

When I'm feeling particularly gorge-y (when I'm eating breakfast out), I'll put maple syrup on my sausage. :burp:

When I was in college, my rommates and I used to eat Peanut Butter Captain Crunch with milk and a healthy dollop of Hershey's chocolate syrup squirted over the top. That was really good for a late-night snack.

**Disclaimer:
BTW, I'm eating a nice healthy salad as I type this. Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, broccoli, a little cheese and Kraft's Lite Done Right dressing. I'll finish it up with a No-Pudge fat-free fudgsicle. As some of you know, I lost about 80 pounds over the last 2 or so years. I'm very careful about what I eat now.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Pop-tarts are nasty muck. Not the sort of thing you need for breakfast. And putting butter on them is about the most unhealthy thing you could do, they already have quite a bit of fat in them.
When was the last time you ate a Pop-tart?
They no longer taste like cardboard.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ouryL
When was the last time you ate a Pop-tart?
They no longer taste like cardboard.

About 5 years ago probably. If they dont taste like cardboard anymore they've probably added more fat to make them softer. Enjoy, as you americans like to say.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiblioCat
When I'm feeling particularly gorge-y (when I'm eating breakfast out), I'll put maple syrup on my sausage. :burp:
I grew up on the fake stuff so now that I moved to New England and have had a taste of the real stuff and can't go back, it's maple syrup on sausage for me. The salt and sweet is a wonderful combination!
Old 08-31-2005, 10:41 AM
Quote:
That's what I've been thinking the whole time I've been reading this thread, minus the winking smiley.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:57 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanChic
That's what I've been thinking the whole time I've been reading this thread, minus the winking smiley.
blah blah glandular conditions blah blah genetic disorder blah blah big bones...