Old 09-22-2005, 12:35 PM
Parlous v. Perilous

As far as I can tell, "parlous" and "perilous" mean exactly the same thing, except that almost no one knows what "parlous" means. Which means, to me, that anyone using the word "parlous" is intentionally trying to point out that they are more well read than I am, which makes them an elitist snob. If I'm wrong, please let me know, but, until someone straightens me out, I am going to point and laugh at anyone using the word "parlous".

Ha, ha, Robert Novak is an elitist snob! (Big surprise, I know.)
Old 09-22-2005, 03:10 PM
From dictionary.com,

par·lous ( P ) Pronunciation Key (pärls)
adj.
Perilous; dangerous: “starting from scratch in parlous economic times” (Madalynne Reuter).
Obsolete. Dangerously cunning.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English, variant of perilous, perilous, from peril, peril. See peril.]
Old 09-22-2005, 06:02 PM
I guess I'm an elitist snob. I like the word "parlous." And it actually works quite well in a series my sister and I are writing together. Of course, I won't put it in every book. There's only one word that has to be somewhere in every book I write--except kids' picture books--and that word is borborygmus.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:00 PM
This is the first time I've heard of it.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off