Closed Thread
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 10-07-2005, 06:42 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 27,059
Help! One Windshield Wiper Stopped Working.

I don't usually post these kinds of questions here but I am really in a jam. I drive a 1999 Isuzu Rodeo SUV. On the way to work this morning, I had my windshield wipers on and the driver's side one just dropped down and stopped working. Now you can move it manually with no resistance.

I need this fixed before Monday. What is wrong with it? Can I fix it myself? How hard is it to fix it?

Thanks in Advance.
#2
Old 10-07-2005, 07:55 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 11,578
The wiper arm is attached to a short rod coming up from infront of the windshild. This rod is nereled (sp) or groved. It is very posible that the matching groves in the arm itself are stripped out.

Remove the entire wiper arm and check to see if anything is stripped out. Also, with the arm off, turn on your wipers and check to see that the rod spins back and forth.

You may be able to switch the right wiper arm with the left to get by if it is the arm that is stripped out. Did that on my wifes jeep until we could get a new one.
#3
Old 10-07-2005, 08:00 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Cambridge Ontario
Posts: 554
If the rod is not spinning then the arm that attaches it to the wiper motor is broken or has detached. If this is the case you won't be able to fix it yourself.
#4
Old 10-07-2005, 08:35 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,122
Almost certainly the wiper arm is attached to its spindle with a nut. It's common for these nuts to work loose, and usually all that is needed is to tighten the nut. There's probably a cap over the nut, which may be hinged to the arm. Remove it or flip it up to get access to the nut. The wiper arm is spring loaded, so first press it firmly onto the spindle so that it's seated, make sure it's aligned properly on the windshield, then tighten the nut securely. While you're there, check the other side and make sure it's nut is tight.
#5
Old 10-07-2005, 11:00 PM
Member
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Colorado Rockies.
Posts: 11,578
Very good advice GaryT. You may need to work the plastic cap off with a pocket knife. Then tighten down the nut.
#6
Old 10-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Guest
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,194
If the splines on the shaft have become stripped, unlikely but possible, I was able to temporarily "fix" one once with some kitchen foil. By wrapping it around the shaft and refitting the nut, it gave enough bite to get it to work until I was able to change the motor.
#7
Old 10-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Betwixt My Ears
Posts: 11,970
The actual windshield washer motor pictured here ( it's the part that doesn't urinate on shrubbery..... ) is not difficult to replace. Any auto parts store will have some in stock for many cars- find the one for your car, and follow instructions for your particular vehicle regarding removal of battery leads when working on the electrical system of your car ( search here. I know there was a thread about removing battery leads a few months back ), and you can do it yourself in short order.

That is, if it was the motor itself and not the gnurled/ toothed butt end of the washer arm.

Cartooniverse
#8
Old 10-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: KCMO
Posts: 11,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse
The actual windshield washer motor pictured here ( it's the part that doesn't urinate on shrubbery..... ) is not difficult to replace. Any auto parts store will have some in stock for many cars- find the one for your car, and follow instructions for your particular vehicle regarding removal of battery leads when working on the electrical system of your car ( search here. I know there was a thread about removing battery leads a few months back ), and you can do it yourself in short order.

That is, if it was the motor itself and not the gnurled/ toothed butt end of the washer arm.

Cartooniverse
Uh, little mix-up here?

That's a WASHER motor, not a WIPER motor. And since the passenger wiper still works in the OP's case, it's not a motor problem.
#9
Old 10-10-2005, 02:56 AM
Guest
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 4,124
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee
If the rod is not spinning then the arm that attaches it to the wiper motor is broken or has detached. If this is the case you won't be able to fix it yourself.
This happened to my Mirage. The hardest thing about fixing it myself was getting the part. It was quite easy to replace. Only a small amount of swearing involved.
#10
Old 10-10-2005, 12:19 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Anderson, IN,USA
Posts: 14,584
The drive arms of both wipers are linked by a metal bar. Sometimes it's under the hood, but more likely you'll find it behind the dashboard. A little squirming around on the floor with a flashlight will tell you whether you can reach it without taking the dash off.
__________________
"You know what they say about sleeping dogs; you can't trust 'em." --Oliver Faltz
#11
Old 09-03-2014, 10:48 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven View Post
This happened to my Mirage. The hardest thing about fixing it myself was getting the part. It was quite easy to replace. Only a small amount of swearing involved.
Ha - funny.
#12
Old 09-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary T View Post
Almost certainly the wiper arm is attached to its spindle with a nut. It's common for these nuts to work loose, and usually all that is needed is to tighten the nut. There's probably a cap over the nut, which may be hinged to the arm. Remove it or flip it up to get access to the nut. The wiper arm is spring loaded, so first press it firmly onto the spindle so that it's seated, make sure it's aligned properly on the windshield, then tighten the nut securely. While you're there, check the other side and make sure it's nut is tight.
Thank you!! My driver-side windshield washer arm went out halfway home, in the rain, and didn't know what I was going to do today. Thanks for saving me hassle, time, and money.
#13
Old 09-03-2014, 11:05 AM
SD Curator of Critters
Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Panama
Posts: 37,527
Given that this thread is old, and no new information has been added, I'm going to close it.

Colibri
General Questions Moderator
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:22 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: playboy party joke got junk price sebastian vilar rodrigez double head nickel quick visit escort mp3 subscription david boreanaz hair weebly unpublish glass sagging s?awomir rawicz gallium safety homemade mouse food keel hauled aaa sucks baseball mailbox cat house prices chocolate and lemon mustard my hole jim ladue black american accent lineal or linear in treatment laura pseudoephedrine bluelight safe knockout drug savory taste definition ez pass placement 80 quid costco cupcakes reviews 1940s house pbs ge plant light middle village road test site how to escape handcuffs behind your back what is military prison like wal itin d non drowsy amazon item shipped to wrong address casual cep job description sinuses blocked on one side air in the brake lines how long does dulcolax take jacks in a deck of cards where to buy limburger cheese country club casual dress can mosquitoes bite through pants how to get pain meds from dentist how hard is sql what do steam gems do? large plastic kiddie pool the 9th gate explained his name is mudd pumpkin seeds with shell does port wine need to be refrigerated michaels handheld sewing machine did israel invent the cell phone why is ice cream so good pay bail with credit card why do cat scratches swell is douchebag a swear word symptoms of air in brake lines jasmine tea with milk what does sc stand for in movie ratings short version of names