Old 10-15-2005, 07:55 PM
Charter Member
Scooter gearbox oil question

I recently purchased a Qingqi 49cc 2-stroke motor scooter. The manual calls for the gearbox to be filled with "20# (HL-20) oil", but I can't find any SAE equivalent for this. Some searching indicates that most small scooter gearboxes are either filled with 70W-90 gear oil or regular 10W-30 engine oil--but there's a big difference between the two and I don't want to mess it up with the wrong type. Does anyone know which one corresponds to HL-20? Since the scooter is made in China, I'm guessing this is an Asian designation. The drivetrain incorporates a wet centrifugal clutch, if that makes any difference.
Old 10-15-2005, 08:26 PM
http://neoscooters.com/pdf/qingqi_quickstart.pdf

This link seems to suggest it's probably 10W-40

Quote:
What kind of oil does the transmission
use and how much?-

If your scooters transmission is belt
driven, leave it alone.
If your scooter is chain driven, use 10-
40 regular motor oil as suggested by
your manual and fill up to correct level.
Correct level is measured by
unscrewing the screw located on the
side crankcase where you kick start
your scooter (in most application). You
should see 2 screws one on top of each
other. Unscrew the bottom of the 2 all
the way and fill with oil. When oil
starts to spill from the whole where
you took the screw out, your level is
full. DO NOT FILL PAST THIS
LEVEL. Over filling will cause your
scooter to run slower and you will ruin
the transmission gasket.:
Old 10-15-2005, 08:54 PM
Charter Member
Nice find, astro. The photos in that second link show features which are visually identical to my engine, and it is a chain drive. The gearbox looks identical, as well.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Charter Member
A little more research convinced me that astro's link is correct. There are a complete set of engine diagrams on that site, all of which correspond to those in my scooter's manual. So, today I drained and changed the gearbox oil with Havoline 10W-40. Glad I did, too--the existing oil was looking pretty black and nasty. I suspect it wasn't the best possible oil to begin with, since the scooter only has only a bit over 500 miles on it. Considering it's only gear lube and isn't exposed to high engine temps, it shouldn't have looked the way it did! After refilling, I took it out for a test spin. The clutch is grabbing nicely--possibly even better than before, but that could just be my imagination--and everything appears to be running smoothly. I'll probably do another premature oil change, just to flush out any of the remaining crappy original oil. Any other suggestions anyone has about this or 2-stroke engine maintenance in general will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, astro!
Old 10-16-2005, 11:02 AM
Since Astro has answered your question, I'd like to add: A Qingqi. Sweet. I've (illegally) ridden my aunt's in China. They're nifty little bikes
Old 10-16-2005, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q.E.D.
Any other suggestions anyone has about this or 2-stroke engine maintenance in general will be greatly appreciated.
Get a 4-stroke!

Seriously, 2-stroke engines are used on off road and trial bikes for various reasons (less weight, more power, reduced engine braking, etc.) but they are not really suited for street bikes.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Charter Member
Yeah, it's not a bad little bike. Pretty peppy for a 49 cc engine--it gets up to 35 or 40 MPH in about 10-12 seconds on level ground. It annoyed me that the front panel didn't have turn signal indicators--it's all too easy to forget you have them on--so I installed a couple green LEDs. I also upgraded the headlight bulb from a 15/15 W (low/high beam) to a 35/35 W courtesy of the dealer, who gave me a free replacement when the original bulb's high beam filament blew out a couple days after I bought it. They also upgraded the mirrors when I brought it back in because one of the originals was somewhat loose and kept vibrating out of alignment.

Question: how does one illegally ride a scooter? Is a license required in China? Here, in most states, a 49 cc scooter doesn't require one--although restrictions vary somewhat from one state to another. For example, in most areas, you cannot ride one on an interstate highway--not that I'd WANT to.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:27 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog80
Seriously, 2-stroke engines are used on off road and trial bikes for various reasons (less weight, more power, reduced engine braking, etc.) but they are not really suited for street bikes.
Care to elaborate? I've had no problems with it, and for a 2-stroke, it's very clean-running. There is very little (actually, surprisingly little) smoking once the engine has warmed up, and although somewhat noisy it's still much quieter than many more powerful, overpriced bikes with excessively loud and inefficient motors (*cough*Harleys*cough*).