Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2005, 10:34 PM
Charter Member
Women who have big feet -- do you wear men's shoes?

I wear about a size 11 or 12 in women's shoes. I shop at DSW and every time I can even find a size 11 or 12 in the styles I would want to wear, the shoes are too tight. I wear comfortable, well padded Easy Spirit shoes to work and I was wondering what other Doper Wimmen with big feet do in order to be well shod. I've never done this before, but I just bought a couple pairs of sleek leather slip on shoes that were made for men. I'm afraid to buy shoes off the net, but there was a thread not too long ago about just that subject. What do you all do?
Old 10-15-2005, 11:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medstar
I wear about a size 11 or 12 in women's shoes. I shop at DSW and every time I can even find a size 11 or 12 in the styles I would want to wear, the shoes are too tight. I wear comfortable, well padded Easy Spirit shoes to work and I was wondering what other Doper Wimmen with big feet do in order to be well shod. I've never done this before, but I just bought a couple pairs of sleek leather slip on shoes that were made for men. I'm afraid to buy shoes off the net, but there was a thread not too long ago about just that subject. What do you all do?
My 18 YO daughter has an 11W woman's foot which is more or less a man's 9.5 D - 10 D depending on brand. The problem she really has is finding "cute" shoes in popular women's styles and brands most of which cut off at size 10. All the "girly" stuff in her size is mostly off brand, 2nd tier junk re construction quality.

Having said this men's and women's feet do (on average) differ somewhat and a man's "last" (re the foot sole size model around which the shoe is built) will not necessarily be all that supportive for a women's foot as the width is likely to be wider and sloppier (for the woman) for a given narrow medium or wide width in a man's size.

Clarks are among the better brands for women with larger feet, quality and fit wise, even if the styles are somewhat conservative. They're not inexpensive, but they are quite well made and come in sizes up to 11 -12 extra wide.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:08 PM
I wear either 8 1/2 or 9 wide, and they're almost impossible to find in the stores. Once in a long while I luck into finding a good pair at DSW, but I usually end up buying them from catalogs. I've had success with Lane Bryant, Roamans --not the clothes from those two catalogs, as they're heinously ugly, but the shoes are pretty cute. I've also bought from the Massey's shoe catalog, and those have been very high quality, if a little more expensive.

In my experience, I've only once had to return a pair of shoes I got from a catalog, and it wasn't because they didn't fit. That particular pair had very high heels and no arch support whatsoever, and I have very high arches.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:24 PM
I don't have really large feet, but I have discovered little boys size 5 1/2 fit me perfectly. I usually get sandals in little boys shoes - much cheaper.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakescatlady
...I have discovered little boys size 5 1/2 fit me perfectly.
Are you by any chance three feet tall? I'm curious about how an adult could be ambulatory and keep balanced with such tiny feet!
Old 10-15-2005, 11:51 PM
I wear a women's 9.5-10. They're also unusually narrow, so even if I wanted to wear men's shoes, they'd be waaaay too wide. Even women's are too wide. I can't imagine that I'd want to wear men's shoes, though.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbicycle
Are you by any chance three feet tall? I'm curious about how an adult could be ambulatory and keep balanced with such tiny feet!
Shoes sizes are not perfectly linear and directly correspondent to inches. A men's 5.5 is about 6.5 in women's and the interior heel to toe of a women's 6.5 is about 9 1/8 to 9 & 3/8ths inches in length. It's not 5 1/2 inches long. A woman's size 8 (the average) is barely a half inch to .75 inches longer.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbicycle
Boys 5.5 is not so small. I usually buy boys sandles, because their feet are wide like mine. Boys sizes 4.5-5 are just about womens 7-8.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:23 AM
I wear a women's 10, and sometimes I buy men's shoes. I don't tend to go for "girly" shoes anyway, so the fact that they can be hard to find usually isn't a problem for me. It used to be a pain at prom time, though.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:26 AM
Oh. Well, she did say little boys. I was half kidding.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublmakr
I wear a women's 9.5-10. They're also unusually narrow, so even if I wanted to wear men's shoes, they'd be waaaay too wide. Even women's are too wide. I can't imagine that I'd want to wear men's shoes, though.
This guy can imagine!
Old 10-16-2005, 12:45 AM
BANNED
Ahhh, when it comes to womens' feet, the bigger the better...

Pics?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:49 AM
You know what they say about women with big feet, don't you?

We can kill you with our shoes.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:51 AM
Whatcha gonna do?
Charter Member
I wear a women's 10 (sometimes a 9.5 since I lost weight) and I think most of my shoes, except for the "good" shoes I wear to job interviews and such, and my Vivienne Westwood pirate boots, are men's (athletic shoes, skateboard shoes, and hiking boots, mostly). But then again, I refuse to wear high heels and I don't like feminine styles, so it works for me. I've always been kinda perversely proud of my big feet.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by winterhawk11
I've always been kinda perversely proud of my big feet.
Me too. Besides, my feet are pretty, even if they are pretty big.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by N. Sane
I wear either 8 1/2 or 9 wide, and they're almost impossible to find in the stores.
Really? I wear 8-9 (depending on the style) and my feet are def on the wide side. I really don't have problems finding shoes. Heck, even Payless sells "wide width" (but I have noticed their stuff runs small- I can wear a 9.5 in their styles).
Old 10-16-2005, 01:07 AM
I wear women's size 9.5 - 10... but I have never bought men's shoes. It didn't even occur to me that I could do that.
I suppose it's because I've never had much trouble finding shoes I like, though. Even cute ones. I wear sparkly blue Skechers right now, and most of the summer I wore Simple sandals. I also have a pair of generic navy canvas shoes I got from Target for something like $8.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:15 AM
Wear an 11 - used to be medium (B) width, but now am WW and really have a hard time finding shoes in stores. I've had a good experience (so far!) with Zappos, purchasing both athletic-style shoes as well as work/casual shoes from there. I haven't worn heels in years - and don't miss them! I'd also second purchasing from catalogs like Massey's, which offers a very wide variety of hard-to-find sizes, both small and large. I have bought several pair of mens athletic shoes - some of them fit me well, others did not, but maybe that's because my feet and the way I walk can sometimes cause my toes to rub against the top of the shoes, creating very painful blisters on top of my toes ... Some good brands for me are: Propet and SoftSpots. Hope this helps!
Old 10-16-2005, 01:22 AM
Quote:
You know what they say about women with big feet, don't you?

Personally, ladies, I'd rather you took 'em off first...
Old 10-16-2005, 02:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiosaBellissima
Really? I wear 8-9 (depending on the style) and my feet are def on the wide side. I really don't have problems finding shoes. Heck, even Payless sells "wide width" (but I have noticed their stuff runs small- I can wear a 9.5 in their styles).
I think part of the problem is that my right foot is a titch larger than my left foot, and my right pinky toe sticks out. I find so often with the wide Payless shoes they will fit beautifully on my left but not my right foot. When I pay a little more money, the problem is less painful for me. I was at DSW last night, and saw that they had a larger selection of wide widths than I've ever seen there before, but in the higher quality shoes I seem to wear 9W instead of 8.5W, and they didn't have any of the ones I wanted in a 9W.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:06 AM
Skechers come in 11's and they fit my wide feet. I adore my sparkly-metallic-green sneakers.

But yeah, I mostly buy men's shoes, when I buy shoes; they actually come wide enough to fit my feet.

I've had some cute lace-up men's dress shoes that I'd wear with skirts and socks when I felt like it, so it's not like you have to go full-out boy-drag to wear men's shoes and let your feet be comfy and free.

Corrvin
Old 10-16-2005, 02:11 AM
I wear a women's 11 or 12 usually, and I've given up even trying to find shoes in my size. I wear either athletic shoes or boots pretty much exclusively, and for the very very odd occassion I need another type of shoe (sandals, which I loathe, for example) I go to payless and buy size 12s (usually on clearance).

I find I can get men's athletic shoes (New Balance and Vans are my brands) in my size (10-10.5) every time.

I'm making it my lifes goal to never wear heels.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:38 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
That makes me feel better after looking for shoes today. I hate shoe shopping, it's demoralizing.

My running shoes are men's shoes. As are, I think, my cycling shoes. (and a pair of cheap, cheap, cheap sandals I picked up once). I'm lucky in that my feet are only kind of big (10ish) so, there are occasionally non-hideous women's shoes out there.

Not very many, but enough.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:48 AM
If it makes you feel any better, Paris Hilton wears a size 11.

Of course, she can afford to have her shoes made from rare, spotted baby seal and have her shoes replaced every day. And plated in gold. Then covered in diamonds. The rare kind.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:09 AM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member
Man, if I meet a woman with feet big enough to wear my size shoes, she'd be taller than I am and should probably think about basketball. And that's taking into account the length, not the width.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:16 AM
Yep, I buy running shoes and work boots in mens. I wear an 11W-12W in women's, not as much selection available in ginormous but I think I'd buy guy's work shoes even if there were more choices. They seem to fit me better.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:29 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member
I wear a 10 wide, and often buy men's shoes for loafers and sneakers. As mentioned above, Payless, DSW, and Zappo's are all good sources for women's shoes in large/wide sizes.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:31 AM
I sure do. I am definitely not a girly-girl, and have what I call Flintstone Feet- thick and wide with little arch. I can't tell you the last time I bought any tennis shoes made for women, and I even have several pairs of leather walking shoes and sandles made for men. They just feel better on my feet.

I do have a couple pair of semi-dress shoes made for women, that are rarely ever worn.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:06 AM
Charter Member
Wife wears size 6 or 6-1/2 in womens shoes, but her feet are wide enough that even womens wide (on the rare occasion you can find any) are a bit too narrow.

So she wears pretty much exclusively boys shoes, sneakers and walkers & such. Fortunately for her she's not much into girly-shoes.
Cynicism is Evil. It provides an excuse to expect nothing but the worst from others while simultaneously excusing all the worst in yourself. It's lazy, selfish, and ignorant all tightly wrapped into a toxic ball of nasty.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:19 AM
I wear a size 10, but am girly in the sense that I am skirt/dress/suit wearer. I've never bought men's shoes, but then again I like to wear heels both on shoes and boots.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:12 PM
I wear size 11, and used to wear men's sneakers all the time. Now I buy them in catalogs (Roadrunner has good exercise shoes) or over the internet. The last pair I bought online were from Kohls. I had seen some cute boots in the store, and tried them on and loved them, but they were size 10 and I would have been limping all day if I'd bought them. So I found them on their website. They're wonderful.

Also, big mall stores like Parisian have a pretty good selection online.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:15 PM
BANNED
need more pix of those canoes

If you are going to talk about big female feets, gots to post pix. Please.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:02 PM
Wow, Paris Hilton has some butt-ass ugly feet.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:24 PM
I wear 11 AA, which is a pain. I can rarely wear men's shoes, though I have a pair of high tops that are men's.

My bigger problem is my arch is apparently in the wrong place. Most shoes hit my arch too far toward my heel and it's excruciating. I wear Merrells. They're too wide, but they don't hurt. I put in some inserts and am good to go.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:42 PM
To combine this and the men's shirt threads:

How many of you big-footed ladies also wear men's clothes regularly? Why?
1) size?
2) style or quality?
3) tomboyism or other gender convictions?
Old 10-16-2005, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug

1) size?
2) style or quality?
I have size 11 feet and am 6 feet tall. A lot of women's clothing simply does not fit. I have a lot of button down shirts because the sleeves are long enough. I also regularly wear men's jeans because they are long enough. I would kill to wear a lot of pretty girly things and wear cute shoes, but alas, such things are rare.

Which sort of irritates me...I am rather slender and many times I hear that I have an "ideal" body type or that I could be a model if I were so inclined. If my body type is "ideal," then why does nothing ever fit?! Jeez.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:29 PM
Whatcha gonna do?
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware of Doug

1) size?
2) style or quality?
As the person who started the men's shirt thread, I'll chime in here too:

As I mentioned above, I have size 10 feet. I'm about 5'10" and between 155-170 depending on how well I'm sticking to Weight Watcher's that week.

I wear a lot of men's clothes. Men's jeans fit me better than women's (plus they have actual useful pockets, not something I'm willing to live without). Almost all of my outerwear jackets are men's, as are all of my T-shirts (I hate women's-cut and "baby" T-shirts, and anything that fits snugly through the torso). My idea of "dressed up" is a nice blazer-and-slacks outfit with boots--it's women's, but it doesn't look much like it. Of all the female celebrities out there, the only one whose clothes I envy is Ellen Degeneres, who never seems to wear skirts or dresses, even when she's hosting fancy award shoes. When I was a small kid, I was tremendously jealous of Tatum O'Neal when she showed up on the Oscars at age 10 wearing a tuxedo. I wanted that tux! So this goes back a long way.

If I could get away with it, I'd wear men's suits. I love men's suits. On the few occasions when I've been forced to wear overly feminine clothes, I feel like I'm in drag. It's kind of odd, because I'm not gay--I'm happily married to a member of the male persuasion--and I'm not a transvestite because I don't get any jollies from dressing up in men's clothes. I just feel more comfortable in them and have for as long as I can remember.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Operation Ripper
If you are going to talk about big female feets, gots to post pix. Please.
Calling a lady's feet "canoes" will not earn you pictures, sirrah.
Old 10-16-2005, 11:45 PM
I have tiny feet and I wear children's shoes.
Old 10-17-2005, 12:01 AM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I have always worn men's 9.5-10 wide shoes, particularly in the "Airwalk"/skater style because they don't curve in so much as tennis shoes.

I've always bought my dress shoes at Payless - mainly because I hate shoes and can't imagine spending more than $20 on a pair. I used to have to buy up to an 11W from there but since I've lost weight I can do 10 or 10.5W (which is more my length).

My brother and I do share shoes, sandals and work boots. And shirts.

When i was over 300# my daily "uniform" was plain 2xl men's Old Navy t-shirts and jeans. When I lost weight I bought some girly stuff...

But Old Navy 2x women's stuff is a sham. Doesn't fit me no how no way. Target 2xl women's stuff too. fuck' em.

I buy men's t-shirts at Target with "cute sayings" on them for $3 on sale, while the same damn shirts in "women's" style are $10-30. fuck those guys too.

As for women's jeans - I fit ok in Venezia jeans. But they're not as "stylish" as other women's jeans. But now the style is short-waisted and I will never be short-waisted. So I've ventured into the land of men's pants which are not only long-waisted but cheaper!

I was a tomboy when I was heavier, yes.

One awesome thing about wide feet, tho - I have AMAZING balance. I can do some great stuff in karate.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:53 AM
Creature of the Night
My father wears a size 6-5E shoe. That's size 6EEEEE. Five Es. I inherited his wide feet, and I will wear men's shoes, if I can find a suitable style. My feet aren't long, but they are wide. To further complicate things, I have a very high instep, and now I have edema in my feet. I'm thinking about just getting some shoes custom made. Even men's wide shoes are not wide enough.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Charter Member
I'm a 7 1/2 in woman's shoes, but I find 5 1/2 men's shoes more comfortable on my wide feet. Particularly sneakers and boots.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:38 AM
Charter Member
12-wides here. You *know* you have hard-to-fit feet when even Nordstrom's staff look worried when they see you!

The only men's shoes I've bought have been fairly unisex things, like snow boots and walking shoes. I have (or used to have) a pair of men's loafers inherited from my father, but wound up giving them up because my feet tended to ache if I did much walking around in them. That was more an artifact of the style though.

I've got some women's shoes that *look* like men's shoes though (Munro lace-ups). Does that count?
Old 10-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harimad-sol
Hey, whaaa? A canoe is sleek, aerodynamic (hydrodynamic?), a classic, inevitable design that works incredibly well and yet is naturally beautiful...just like a woman's foot. *mmmwaa*
Old 10-17-2005, 11:58 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harimad-sol
Sorry, was meant to be a throwaway reference to Grace's "Only thing my dad ever gave me was feet the size of canoes" line from the Will & Grace episode "Oh Dad, Poor Dad, He's Kept Me In The Closet and I'm So Sad".
Old 10-21-2005, 11:01 AM
Charter Member
I wear Size 11 women's shoes... I would never make it as a Chinese courtesan (which is just as well for a feminist like me).

Many stores (I'm looking at you, Target) just do not go above women's Size 9 or whatever. That doesn't have to crimp my lifestyle. I buy shoes at Payless which goes up to women's Size 12. True, the selection of 11s is meager compared to the smaller sizes (they have almost nothing in 12), but I'm able to find the stylish footwear I need at an affordable price. No worries.
Old 10-21-2005, 08:41 PM
Charter Member
So the answer to the OP is no, I don't like men's shoes at all. I have no difficulty finding decent women's shoes in my size at Payless. Nice girly size 11 strappy sandals, pointy-toed tall suede boots, and that sort of thing. I used to have a hangup about my big feet being too un-girly. I don't any more, not since I found strappy sandals that fit, especially when accessorized with the right stockings,* anklets, etc.

*Sheer black stockings worn under a long skirt seem to minimize the apparent size of feet and ankles. If you read "sandals" and "stockings" in the same sentence and go "eek," well, I think there are certain stockings and sandals combinations that really do work. It helps when both are black.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by medstar
I buy shoes on the internet all the time. Zappos has free shipping on many of their items, and they're one of the best customer service internet operations around. Please, give them a try. I'm so impressed with them...I can't say enough good about them.
Closed Thread