Old 12-29-2005, 05:41 PM
What was Gomez Addams?

Morticia seems vampiric. Fester appears to be a hunchback. Lurch was a Frankenstein's-monster knockoff. Grandmama is sort of witchy.

Was Gomez supposed to be like an Igor or something?
Old 12-29-2005, 05:46 PM
He strikes me as almost a Rasputin type.
Old 12-29-2005, 05:48 PM
Charter Member
I thought he was Castillian.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:08 PM
I thought he was vaguely reminiscent of Peter Lorre... except Spanish. Lorre played plenty of creepy characters.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:14 PM
Charter Member
he was a "Capitalist". Eeek!
Old 12-29-2005, 06:17 PM
None of the Addams Family members really mapped one-to-one with the archetypal movie monsters the way the Munsters did. They were just a really weird family with some...interesting...genetic aberrations among them. I personally think this is what makes the Addams Family better than the Munsters, actually.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:19 PM
Charter Member
I agree.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
None of the Addams Family members really mapped one-to-one with the archetypal movie monsters the way the Munsters did. They were just a really weird family with some...interesting...genetic aberrations among them. I personally think this is what makes the Addams Family better than the Munsters, actually.
Other than better writing, better acting, and better casting, you mean?
Old 12-29-2005, 06:25 PM
BANNED
I think he's an Evil Goofy.

(But what was Goofy? )
Old 12-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace
Well, the sets were better, too.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor
I knew I was going to leave something out and that some smart-ass was going to point that out to me.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:45 PM
BANNED
He was the most evil of all occupations.

He was a lawyer. A seedy one at that.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:23 PM
He was a Valentino.
Old 12-29-2005, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace
Well, one of the things...
Old 12-29-2005, 08:14 PM
Gomez represented the other horror archetype of the 1960's, the "Hispanic guy." The character was plainly intended to play on the omnipresent fear of Desi Arnaz common to Americans of that era, who constructed insulated subterranean bunkers in the event they should ever need to seek shelter from a Latin rhythm combo.

Seriously, I always felt like Gomez Addams was an idealized mixture of Walt Disney and Rod Serling, what with his demented enthusiasm and sadistic model train layout and the two-headed sea turtle and all. He also strongly reminded me of my dad, although I think that was more on account of the mustache than anything else. Well, that and the stories Dad used to tell me and my brother to keep us in line, about monstrous shambling horrors lurking under the basement stairs. Mere physical discipline was a rarely employed last resort in our household; Dad maintained order via a battery of sophisticated psyops techniques.

John Astin is one of my favorite actors. I hope he's doing okay these days.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:29 PM
BANNED
Actually, I don't think the (unnamed, AFAIK) dad in the original Charles Addams cartoons was meant to be Hispanic -- merely creepy.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton
Actually, I don't think the (unnamed, AFAIK) dad in the original Charles Addams cartoons was meant to be Hispanic -- merely creepy.
Actually, if I remember correctly, there was no cohesive "Addams Family" before the series began. All of the characters appeared at different times and in different combinations in Chas. Addams's cartoons, but none of them were actually named anything and they didn't form a family unit.
Old 12-29-2005, 09:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjay
Actually, if I remember correctly, there was no cohesive "Addams Family" before the series began. All of the characters appeared at different times and in different combinations in Chas. Addams's cartoons, but none of them were actually named anything and they didn't form a family unit.
They let Addams name all his characters for the show, but for some reason the network rejected "Pubert" for the son, who was instead named "Pugsley." The newborn in the second Addams Family movie was named Pubert as a little homage to this incident.
Old 12-29-2005, 10:01 PM
Charter Member
1. Addams did indeed show the family as a unit. His famous "Boiling oil for carolers" shows Gomez, Morticia, and Lurch, for instance, and the two-headed pig for Thanksgiving shows all but Fester. I have another cartoon in the Monster Rally collection showing everyone but Granma, and there are many in that collection that have two or three of the characters together. The clear implication was that they were a family unit.

2. Though PR for the show said that Addams chose the character names, Nat Perrin, the producer, has claimed the names were his idea.
Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
John Astin is one of my favorite actors. I hope he's doing okay these days.
According to imdb
Quote:
...Astin has contributed voices to several animated shows, and still regularly appears in films.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealityChuck
1. Addams did indeed show the family as a unit. His famous "Boiling oil for carolers" shows Gomez, Morticia, and Lurch, for instance, and the two-headed pig for Thanksgiving shows all but Fester. I have another cartoon in the Monster Rally collection showing everyone but Granma, and there are many in that collection that have two or three of the characters together. The clear implication was that they were a family unit.
Some possible insight from this page

Quote:
In 1937, when his work was well established in that magazine {The New Yorker - s}he began using a couple of regular characters — a deathly-pale woman dressed all in black, and her misshapen butler, who looked like he'd been assembled from odd-size parts. Later on, the woman's deranged husband and their two horrible children began appearing with her, as well as a couple of less easily categorized family members and an incidental character or two. They appeared in dozens of cartoons, over a period of dozens of years. In 1964, they were turned into a TV sitcom, and are now known as The Addams Family.
After enjoying the Addams Family TV show as a young child, and then being my father's old copies of the Drawn and Quartered and Black Maria collections bestowed upon me, I have to say that I'm sorry that the wide-eyed freak who was always staring down on the goings on from an upper floor was not included in the show.
Old 12-30-2005, 04:26 AM
Well, I was looking at this gallery trying to decide what he looks like.

Still no luck. Gomez does have kind of a Peter Lorre appearance to him. I also checked against Renfield (from the 1930s Dracula) and no dice.

Going with my original idea that he was patterned after an Igor, I looked that up too, only to find there wasn't one in the 1931 Frankenstein: his name was Fritz. And he was the same actor who played Renfield, so still no dice.

That'd make a good general question: why do we always think of Igor as Frankenstein's assistant, if there wasn't one in the classic movie?
Old 12-30-2005, 08:26 AM
Charter Member
I think Gomez was just a lunatic.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:34 AM
I read somewhere that Gomez' TV persona was influenced by Groucho Marx (and Fester's by Curly of the 3 Stooges).
Old 12-30-2005, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLS
According to imdb
In other words, he's feeling muucchhh better, now.
Old 12-30-2005, 10:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish
That'd make a good general question: why do we always think of Igor as Frankenstein's assistant, if there wasn't one in the classic movie?
In the second sequel, Son of Frankenstein, no less a personage than Bela Lugosi played Ygor. I haven't seen that one, but I imagine it was a memorable performance. Can't recall if there was an Igor in the original novels...
-Official Doper Brat #007- When life gives you harlequins, make a harlequinade.
I am the very model of the modern kaiju Gamera / I've a shell that's indestructible and endless turtle stamina. / I defend the little kids/ and I level downtown Tokyo/ in a giant free-for-all mega-kaiju rodeo.
Old 12-30-2005, 11:45 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainGlutton
I think he's an Evil Goofy.

(But what was Goofy? )
A Human Dawg
Old 12-30-2005, 11:52 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera
In the second sequel, Son of Frankenstein, no less a personage than Bela Lugosi played Ygor. I haven't seen that one, but I imagine it was a memorable performance. Can't recall if there was an Igor in the original novels...
Ygor was also in GHOST OF FRANKENSTEIN, the fourth movie, the first which did not have Karloff as the Monster. I think Lon Chaney Jr was (if not, it was Glenn Strange). Sir Cedric Hardwicke played Dr. F.- either another son or the grandson of "Henry" F. To avoid spoiling the movie, let's just say Ygor did not survive for another film, tho part of him did but never made its presence known in the series again. Interestingly, the next film F. MEETS THE WOLFMAN had Lugosi finally playing the Monster & fighting Lon C Jr. The scientist is some guy who has hooked up with Henry F's never-before-seen daughter.

I am such a geek.

The name "Pubert" was rejected as it was too close to "pubic", and I think may actually have been a term for a pubic hair ("Oh, he's getting puberts!")
Old 12-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I always thought he was just some kind of twisted, rich sadist. Maybe European nobility. Your basic Vincent Price type.
Old 12-30-2005, 12:14 PM
He's an Addams.

Case closed.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
Morticia seems vampiric. Fester appears to be a hunchback. Lurch was a Frankenstein's-monster knockoff. Grandmama is sort of witchy.

Morticia is a witch not a vampire
Old 08-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Captor View Post
Yes, but the Munsters had a better car.
Old 08-30-2015, 07:43 PM
It looks like Chas Addams did want him to be a "latin lover" type. The big latin lover that I can think of, in literature, who people might be afraid of is probably Don Juan. Traditionally, it was a story meant to be told as a sort of "horror story", though I think it became popular because people like listening to licentious things. Potentially, it was always meant as a licentious story, just paraded as a scary story to please the church.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaspar Hauser View Post
They let Addams name all his characters for the show, but for some reason the network rejected "Pubert" for the son, who was instead named "Pugsley." The newborn in the second Addams Family movie was named Pubert as a little homage to this incident.
Standards & Practices vetoed Pubert for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMax View Post
I always thought he was just some kind of twisted, rich sadist. Maybe European nobility. Your basic Vincent Price type.
The Addams are very old money (& unlike most old money families they still have a lot of it). They're also very civic minded (in their own way) and give to charity which is why everyone puts up with them. Gomez trained as a lawyer, but seldom practiced as one.

Last edited by alphaboi867; 08-30-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CandidGamera View Post
No, but there was an Henri, more of a colleague than an assistant. In the first movie, there was a Fritz.

Was Lurch a blood relative?

Last edited by Horatio Hellpop; 08-30-2015 at 08:31 PM.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post

This thread, however, is definitely a zombie.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robot Arm View Post
This thread, however, is definitely a zombie.
Tell me about it. I started to quote my own post, upthread, to agree with it and then I noticed the user-name.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by darlenee34 View Post
Morticia is a witch not a vampire
Morticia is not a witch. Mama, arguably, is a witch with her cauldron and all. The Addamses do not really fill stereotypical horror roles in the same way the Munsters did. This is not to say the writing for The Addams Family was any smarter than it was for The Munsters.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumpup View Post
Morticia is not a witch. Mama, arguably, is a witch with her cauldron and all. The Addamses do not really fill stereotypical horror roles in the same way the Munsters did. This is not to say the writing for The Addams Family was any smarter than it was for The Munsters.
Didn't Morticia have "octopus legs" or something?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mace View Post
That was her skirt. In the animated versions of the character, that is played up a bit. It was not really a factor on the live action show.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:49 PM
Quote:
That was her dress. But you never can tell for sure from the cartoons.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:09 PM
Charter Member
The Addamses are what Goths are pretending/aspiring to be.
Old 08-30-2015, 09:16 PM
Hmmm... from widipeia:

Morticia is described as a witch; she is slim, with extremely pale skin and long flowing straight black hair. In one episode she is seen wearing a black pointed hat.

It also notes that in the cartoons, none of the family members had names, so this may be more representative of the TV show. And note that her mother is named "Hester", harkening back to Hester Prynne (not a witch, but colonial MA).
Old 08-30-2015, 09:22 PM
I always thought Gomez was like a creepily insane version of Groucho Marx, and the rest of the family were likewise all insane.
Old 08-30-2015, 10:46 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
It also notes that in the cartoons, none of the family members had names, so this may be more representative of the TV show.
Also from Wiki:

Quote:
When The Addams Family 1964 television series was being developed, Charles Addams suggested naming the character either Repelli or Gomez. Addams left the final choice up to portrayer John Astin, who chose Gomez.[2]
Quote:
Like the other members of the family, Gomez's personality became largely codified by the television series.[1] Gomez is descended from Castilian royalty and British aristocracy.[3] Charles Addams' description for the series went like this:

Quote:
“ Husband to Morticia (if indeed they are married at all) ... a crafty schemer, but also a jolly man in his own way ... though sometimes misguided ... sentimental and often puckish — optimistic, he is in full enthusiasm for his dreadful plots ... is sometimes seen in a rather formal dressing gown ... the only one who smokes.[4] ”

— Charles Addams
John Astin had long sessions with Addams and series producer David Levy, who gave him free rein in developing the character. Enlarging on Addam's description of Gomez as a Latin lover type, Astin suggested the eye-rolling, pencil moustache, and ardent devotion to Morticia.[5]
So in the cartoons Gomez was nothing in particular, just an odd looking character. He became a "latin lover" in the TV show.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horatio Hellpop View Post
Was Lurch a blood relative?
Lurch's mother appeared in the TV show. She was a feisty little spitfire played by Ellen Corby. Lurch had written to her and pretended to be the master of the household, so when she visited, Gomez and Morticia pretended to be the butler and maid so that Lurch wouldn't be embarrassed. Mama Lurch was dissatisfied with their performances and dismissed them.
Old 08-30-2015, 11:17 PM
SD Curator of Critters
Quote:
Originally Posted by cochrane View Post
Lurch's mother appeared in the TV show. She was a feisty little spitfire played by Ellen Corby. Lurch had written to her and pretended to be the master of the household, so when she visited, Gomez and Morticia pretended to be the butler and maid so that Lurch wouldn't be embarrassed. Mama Lurch was dissatisfied with their performances and dismissed them.
Mama Lurch.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotandrsn View Post
. . . I have to say that I'm sorry that the wide-eyed freak who was always staring down on the goings on from an upper floor was not included in the show.
As long as we're updating an old thread...in fact, yes, that character was the basis for "Thing." That character was named "Thing" or "The Thing."

(Shame on the movies for formalizing that the hand was disembodied. I always preferred the slight aura of ambiguity involved. The hand might have belonged to someone hiding behind a wall or under a table.)
Old 08-31-2015, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trinopus View Post
(Shame on the movies for formalizing that the hand was disembodied. I always preferred the slight aura of ambiguity involved. The hand might have belonged to someone hiding behind a wall or under a table.)
Of course it was someone hiding behind a wall or under a table, but they did it well. Thing would jump from box to hole almost instantly creating a different effect than can be achieved with the disembodied hand. I preferred to think of the box as another dimension with portals to our own.
Old 08-31-2015, 12:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriPolar View Post
Of course it was someone hiding behind a wall or under a table, but they did it well.
More specifically, it was Ted Cassidy's hand. Most of the time, Cassidy used his right hand, but from time to time, he would switch to his left hand just to see if people were paying attention. For those times both Lurch and Thing were in the same scene, a stagehand would play the part of Thing.