Old 08-26-2000, 11:19 PM
I'm so pissed.

There is this girl I went to high school with. Her mom's pregnant. Again. A-fucking-gain.

The girl has an older brother and sister, two younger brothers, and a younger sister. This will make seven kids. The mom is divorced from the father of the first four kids. She got knocked up soon after and married the father of the youngest two. They fight (screaming, and physically) all the freaking time, and have recently filed for divorce. Don't call her 'battered' because she hits HIM half the time. She's pregnant by him again. As they're getting divorced.

I don't care if you have 20 kids. Hell, my family has 5 kids. My grandmothers both have 5 kids. Two of my great grandmothers had 10 kids. But there's a difference. All of these families I listed had one thing in common. When money started getting tight, they STOPPED FUCKING HAVING KIDS! This family is on welfare and WIC, and receive child support from the original dad. The step-dad works for the airline, and the mom works, saddling the middle children (high school age) with care-taking responsibilities for the two (soon to be three) toddlers. The girl I know works, but since her mom is a fucking baby factory, the STATE is going to pay her to take care of the little ones after school. Yes, she's being payed by the state to babysit her own siblings because there's so God-damned many of them.

The mom is a worthless slob who nurses her kids until they're three or four. The kids run around naked all day, and are little belligerant bullies. They don't potty train until they start school, and yet the mom STILL continues to fucking breed.

It doesn't matter that they can't afford the kids they have, or that they're on welfare already, or that they can't take care of them already. The irresponsible bitch continues to pop out kids every two years or so. Someone needs to show up with some pliers and 'borrow' her uterus.

Their house is large, but full of extraneous furniture and trash. They have piles of worthless junk and hundreds of pieces of clothing littered around their house. More than they could ever need, but none of it fits any of the kids. They eat out all the time, and squander their money on candy and soda pop and snacks instead of purchasing worthwhile food, like, oh, fruits, vegetables, ground beef, Hamburger Helper (that one's for you, Jack), and Aldi's food. They can't afford it, but they buy the 'best' food. Then after it's made, does it get frozen and sent for lunches? Does it get put in the fridge and heated up tomorrow? No. It sits on the oven until it's rancid, then gets thrown out. Trash? Don't worry about it. Throw your hotdog on the floor, we'll clean it up next week, if we get around to it.

These type of people make me sick. I don't mind supporting people with my tax money that truly are having trouble making ends meet, or have had some hard times. What I do mind is worthless drags on society like this family, with fourty bajillion kids, who can't manage a budget (let alone have one), who buy good, pricey food that they can't afford, then waste it, and who live in a large (albeit old) house that would easily hold them all, yet bitch about not having enough space. HELLO! If you'd clean out the TRASH, and the JUNK, you'd have GOBS of space.

Worthless, worthless, worthless, worthless family.

Where's the pool boy? These genes need cleansing.

--Tim

PS The third child (the girl I know) brags about being the first in her family to EVER graduate HS. And she's STILL a stupid ass ho with terrible judgement and horrible decision making skills. Ugh. Glad I cut her out of my life like the cancer her family is.
Old 08-26-2000, 11:39 PM
And I thought my neighbors were bad...

Ugh...It's people like that that screw it up for people who TRULY need it...
Old 08-26-2000, 11:58 PM
Whoa!!!! That was a 8.9 in my book

Now I hate to be an advocate for such lifestyles, but perhaps education is the problem here. Maybe the mother doesn't know how to properly take care of herself and her children. Maybe she doesn't have all her marbles strait in her head. She probly is depressed or something on top of it. Unless the kids are starving and being abused, I dn't think there is a "problem" that can be helped by you, me, or anyone else.

I know my sister 3 years ago got into some bad crowds, and got hooked on drugs. She finally straightened herself out just in time to find out she was pregnant by her derlict fiance. Luckily she was clean when he was conceived. I'm sure she looked horrible; coming out of rehab, pregnant, and broke. I don't think she would have been able to do it without WIC or welfare. She was on it for a year and a half and now she has her own apartment, my nephew has a wonderful babysitter, and she works her ass off to pay the bills.

Some people just get misguided down the road, and if they are less intellegent, they have a lot harder time geting off that rocky path.

[hijack]
BTW, can't they put shoes on the kids, for christ sake? I can't stand that above all things!!![/hijack]
Old 08-27-2000, 12:17 AM
"Someone needs to show up with some pliers and 'borrow' her uterus."

::Pulls up lawn chair and settles in to watch the bonfire::

p.s. Thanks for the laugh. I have [ahem] menstrual cramps at the moment and I feel like someone is borrowing my uterus with a pair of pliers.
Old 08-27-2000, 12:46 AM
Frankly, I'm amazed you know all this about them. They must really share with you.
Old 08-27-2000, 01:53 AM
Hear Hear!!
I cannot agree more. I have been a single WORKING parent for almost 10 years. Part time, so I can supervise my kids. It's a no win situation, if I don't work full time, I'm a leach, if I do, and my kids turn out for shit, I should have been home more. The biggest problem I have with those welfare baby factories is that they give their caseworkers so much shit that they treat ALL of us like we are either retarded or trying to cheat them. All I need is SOME help, like decent medical insurance and I have to jump through hoops and prove everything I say, in duplicate.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:41 AM
Byz: I had a serious hard-on for the girl my age for about three years. She has a killer body. Killer. We hung out day in and day out for a long ass time before I pulled my brain out of my dick and saw her (and them) for what they are.

Just cuz you make me want to jiz doesn't mean you're a worthwhile human being.

--Tim
Old 08-27-2000, 03:04 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Homer

Just cuz you make me want to jiz doesn't mean you're a worthwhile human being.

--Tim
I think it's obvious who the trash is here.
Old 08-27-2000, 03:12 AM
Ahem. If I may... (long post)

Quote:
the mom works
So far, I don't see how this could be considered irresponsiblity. How much do you think jobs pay? Especially to a person who didn't graduate high school and has had to take time off to have seven babies? And just how much do you think child support is?

Quote:
Yes, she's being payed by the state to babysit her own siblings because there's so God-damned many of them.
Close. She's being paid by the state to watch her own siblings because she fits the qualifications required by the program that helps people with their childcare costs. And because it's less expensive and better for the younger kids if they can be at home with someone they know and trust, rather than in a daycare. And, since she's going to be paid to stay at home to babysit, she doesn't have to go out of the house to make money.

Quote:
The mom is a worthless slob who nurses her kids until they're three or four.
First: No human being is worthless. Second, I doubt she's a slob. The mess might have something to do with the many children that live in her house. Kids make messes, little kids aren't very thorough housekeepers, and ALL parents are tired. You be a single parent of six kids with one more on the way and tell me how anxious you are to get home, clean house, and delve into big organization projects. Third, kids don't nurse that long. They don't WANT to nurse that long.

Quote:
The kids run around naked all day, and are little belligerant bullies. They don't potty train until they start school,
This is easy. The kids are naked because they're potty training. They don't magically know how to go to the bathroom the instant they set foot in a school...it takes some practice. As far as them being "belligerant bullies", well...wouldn't you feel compelled to make your presence known and mark your territory if you had so many siblings, and only one constant parent to share with all of them?

You say they live in a big old house, and they have lots and lots of stuff. It's a nine-person household, and I'm sure that much of their stuff was donated to them by friends and family. Families in need are quite often happy to accept gifts from people, even if they really don't need an extra chair (or whatever.) You say they've complained about not having "enough" space. Well, Homer, you seem to know tons about this family...exactly how big is this house? How big are the bedrooms, more specifically, and how many bedrooms are there? I'll be truly amazed if you tell me that even in a "big" house, every member of the household gets their own spacious bedrooms. Old houses most often have large living rooms and dining rooms, but miniscule bedrooms with tiny closets. Perhaps when they say they need more space, what they mean is they need more STORAGE space.

Now. How do you know what's on their grocery list? With that many kids, they probably get around $400/month in food stamps, and if they're getting WIC, they HAVE to buy certain items with the WIC checks. For example, one WIC check might say "2 gallons milk, 1-26 oz. jar peanut butter, 3 cans juice". If they're spending a couple food stamp dollars on treats, it's probably because they've stocked up on necessary foods, and it's nice to be able to give your kids a fucking treat once in a while.
And, given that there are so many people in the house, I think it's probably unlikely that there's ever enough leftovers to pack up for lunches. I'd throw the rest away, too.

Quote:
that they can't take care of them already
Quick review: they have shelter, clothing, food, and someone they trust to watch them when the mom is at work. Exactly how are they not being taken care of again?

Quote:
Worthless, worthless, worthless, worthless family.
Just to reiterate: NO human being is worthless. Perhaps, since you care enough about the situation to bitch about it, you could think about going over and offering to help the mom out a little bit. Ask her if she'd like you (a strapping young lad) to help fix or move around some of the furniture or cart some stuff off to Goodwill. I'm sure she'd appreciate it.

Quote:
PS The third child (the girl I know) brags about being the first in her family to EVER graduate HS.
Good for her.
Old 08-27-2000, 03:19 AM
Amen, sister.
Old 08-27-2000, 03:25 AM
Let me take this opportunity to say that my post is for BOTH Vogue and Chris...

Amen, sisters
Old 08-27-2000, 03:28 AM
Interestingly enough, from an evolutionary standpoint, these folks are winning. Behold the future of the human race.
Old 08-27-2000, 03:54 AM
Well, Tzel, talk about a post really making the point and all...

BWHA HA HA!

If "THEY" are "winning" that would mean, from your standpoint you would be... uh.... well, you know!

And the flip side is... oh, wait, now you are putting me down! If I'm "winning", I'm one of "THEM"!

What a crafty post!
Old 08-27-2000, 04:17 AM
I'll just respond to the nursing deal.....when I worked at KMart, I actually saw a mom sitting on the floor nursing her 4 year old girl.
Old 08-27-2000, 04:22 AM
Oh, come on! You're telling me that you don't think that a person who's already on welfare, yet continues to pump out kids is irresponsible?

I know how much the step dad's job pays. I know how much her job pays, and I know how much child support is, thank you.

She is a slob. Did you not notice that I know these people very well? That I've spent TONS of time at their house? She IS a slob. THIRD, don't tell me they don't nurse that long, because I've been there, and I've f'n seen it happen! THESE KIDS NURSE THAT LONG! They climb in her lap and lift up her shirt and beg for 'boobie!' You cannot refute my own visual evidence!

No, the kids are naked because they piss themselves. Or they're naked because they don't like their clothes. Or because they're watching Blue's Clues. Or because the sky is blue. They're naked because they want to be naked, and they take off any clothes you put on them. They also piss and shit on the floor in the living room.

They pinch and punch and shove much smaller children. They don't listen to a single thing ANYONE tells them, be it their mother, their father, their siblings, or their caretaker. And they're spoiled. They cry for hour and break things and throw tantrums at the slightest inconvenience. Not normal tantrums, mind you. Break stuff screaming yelling punching kicking hour long tantrums. You cannot just ignore them and they give up, they will force themselves on you and make you comply.

The extra stuff isn't chairs. It's trash. TRASH. It's piles of useless clothes, broken toys, FOOD, stuff like that. Yes, some furniture, but it's stuff they've purchased. Can you tell me why they need a 8 foot by 6 foot map of the world, or a huge end table that blocks their entryway?

Lemme think. They just finished adding a third story to the house that lies empty... uhm... seven bedrooms, three bathrooms, two kitchens, two living rooms, two staircases, blah blah blah. Big ass house full of junk. Big ass bedrooms (15x20 w/5x3 closets, estimated). At least 2750-3250 sq feet, including the addition.

The two eldest have moved out and live with their own families, but the state is (AFAIK, and at last I spoke with them) not informed of this, and they continue to draw on the two who've moved out.

Keeping this in mind, I have four siblings, and I'm kind and gentle as a lamb...

How do I know what's on their grocery list? I've helped them carry in groceries. I've looked in their cupboards, freezers, and refrigerators. They, at last count, had 28 jars of Jiffy peanut butter. Unopened. They spend at least $50 on Dr Pepper, Pepsi, and Sprite each week. They buy those damned chocolate donuts, and tons of gummi treats and stuff. And candy that gets everywhere.

Don't discount the leftovers. I've seen four or five pounds of spaghetti thrown out because no one wanted to tupperware it and it went bad. I've seen two pounds of browned meat for Tacos get thrown out because one of the whiny bitching kids decided they wanted McDonalds or some other bullshit like that. I've been there and seen it, and I can guarantee you if I went over to their house right now, after the called the cops (it's 3 am), I'd see at least a pound or two of food on the stove, congealing. They waste ALOT.

Taken care of? If you call living in a hovel, being ignored, fed junk food, allowed to run around naked after peeing in a heating vent (I've seen that happen many times, too) and overpopulated while both parents work and older sister watches taped re-runs of "Friends" and "The Torklesons" being taken care of, why don't you raise your children like that?

Help out? I'm done with it. I've carried their cast iron tub upstairs, I've painted rooms, I've carried the aformentioned groceries, I've helped erect the walls of the addition, I've moved furniture, I've made dinner, and I've cleaned. I gave up on this family because of how completely conniving, using, and irresponsible the whole family is. Goodwill? Lawdy, no! Can't get rid o' my junk!

Oh, and the reason no one's graduated yet? Let's see... Mom got knocked up... Older sister got knocked up... older brother knocked some chick up... Yup. Birth control? Sexual responsibility? BAH!

What they are is a family of completely self serving, irresponsible, narrow minded (racist, homophobic, ad infinitum), conniving, weasly users. The girl I was associated with led me on for three years (yes, my fault for letting it happen, I know), milking me for every cent she could. "Oooh, Tim ::rubs arm:: that new CD is soo good... I wish I could afford it.. ::Pout::" "I wish I could go to Prom, but no one's invited me... ::Pout::" "I need a new dress for the Homecoming dance, but I can't afford it ::brush breasts across arm::" Yes. Users. That's all they know how to do. They take every single possible advantage of every single possible person. Family, friends, government, anyone and anything. Milk it dry, baby, yeah!

And about the girl leading me on... she'd go on dates, she'd hang out, she'd wear revealing clothing (at my asking, even) and act seductive... but the second I tried anything, it was "We're just friends!" until she needed something again. Then with the breasts and the oy vey. I knew all along (well, from about a year and a half on, but it took another year and a half for me to balls up and break everything off completely) she was just leading me on for money and stuff, but ugghhh... try not to be horny in High School, okay?

VV, sorry, I'll try not to inject humor into a rant again. Better yet, I'll abstain from sexual urges.

Any more questions on why I've found a distaste for this family?

--Tim
Old 08-27-2000, 04:24 AM
Here's the thing. I lean towards being very liberal. Unfortunately, I'm related (by marriage, not blood, so I have some small consolation) to the King and Queen of all that is White Trash and Welfare Abuse. Really. They're divorced now, but they both still have the titles.

The King is a drug-abusing, semi-literate, child-neglecting (possibly child-molesting), job-not-holding, everyone-else-blaming, favor-begging, trust-destroying fuckwad. So as you can imagine, he married well, the first time. The Queen came from a lower-middle class but somewhat decent family, but she aspired to be more worthy of the King.

They married. Had two kids. The first child (the Princess), was born with something like SEVENTEEN birth defects - among them were paralyzation from the waist down, hydrocephelous (sp, I know), cleft lip and cleft palate, and spinobiphida (once again, sp). She was not expected to live 24 hours, and yet she pulled through and is now about 17. After her birth, the King and Queen moved into my parents' basement (it was a separate apartment).

The King worked sporadically for my step-father's company as a laborer. He could have made a decent living, had he shown up (especially since he wasn't paying rent). The Queen cocktail-waitressed, although she made less than minimum wage. She didn't work to contribute to the family - it was because she needed to get out of the house. The King and Queen made no effort to schedule their hours so that one of them was at home with the Princess. I understand they were receiving some sort of aid at the time.

Their best trick at that time was to leave while my parents were working, and tell my sister and me that we had to babysit (ages 11 and 9, respectively). As a result, we learned how to suction an infant's tracheotomy (yes, I'm sure I phrased that wrong, but I was freaking NINE!), and pray she didn't die, as well as the other basic child-care kinda stuff. Changing diapers and feeding her were a BREAK.

So of course, and since they had built-in childcare, they went ahead and had another kid. This one was relatively healthy (although signs of ADD and other mental disorders surfaced much later). This was the Prince. Since the Prince was healthy and the Princess was clearly disabled, they chose to completely neglect him ( you know, like any good parent would). His favorite foods, by age 2, were Pepsi and M&M's.

Anyway, eventually the King and Queen needed their own kingdom. So they got an apartment (with the state's help, duh), and moved out of our basement. At that point, they chose to drive many miles to pick me up to watch their children so that they could go out (usually separately) and get f'd-up Sometime shortly thereafter, they broke up. The Queen got the children, the King married some other royalty whose ex-husband was on death row.

The Queen moved in with another regal-sorta guy, and he didn't want her to keep the Prince. He didn't mind the Princess, since she was handicapped and needed extra care (a benevolent soul if ever there was one), but he wouldn't let the Queen stay if she didn't make the King take custody of the Prince.

As any mother would, the Queen sent the Prince to live with the heroin-shooting, drunk-driving, job-quitting, 2nd-wife-just-left-him King. And the King sold all of the Prince's possessions (his birthday-present-from-his-grandma-Gameboy, his clothing, his extra pairs of shoes) so that they were well-equipped with booze and smack. They lived in a majestic motel that came with it's own hookers and dealers.

In the meantime, the Queen didn't want to lose the welfare money that the state gave the royal family in the Prince's name. So she continued to claim him as a dependent. And she was too busy not working to have visits with him. After a year or two of the intense pressure of child-rearing, the King saw fit as to leave the Prince on another one of my sister's doorstep. As she only had five children of her own (five children that she and her husband supported on their own), it was no problem for her to take care of the extra, hyperactive, neglected child.

But then, a miracle occured. The Queen swooped in and took the Prince back, and demanded that the King-substitute accept him or else she'd take the Princess and the SECOND Princess (oh yes, they had a child together. Why WOULDN'T they?) and keep the welfare checks all to herself. After such a show of power, the Kinglike Guy couldn't help but submit.

So as you can imagine, the welfare and everything COMPLETELY turned this family around. The Royal Family MIGHT have had to work, or maybe even something worse, like quit keeping themselves in a drunken, drugged stupor.

The moral of this story is that yeah, welfare rocks like a hurricane! No one should even QUESTION how well it works.
Old 08-27-2000, 04:34 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Homer
And about the girl leading me on... she'd go on dates, she'd hang out, she'd wear revealing clothing (at my asking, even) and act seductive... but the second I tried anything, it was "We're just friends!" until she needed something again. Then with the breasts and the oy vey. I knew all along (well, from about a year and a half on, but it took another year and a half for me to balls up and break everything off completely) she was just leading me on for money and stuff, but ugghhh... try not to be horny in High School, okay?
--Tim
Seems to me like your biggest beef with this family is that since this girl is "trash" she should put out for you. Since she doesn't, it makes her and her whole family "worthless." You were willing to put up with the whole thing when you thought you were gonna get a piece of ass out of it. The more you explain it the worse it gets.
Old 08-27-2000, 04:41 AM
Damn, and I thought my family was bad... did I mention that my parents had eight kids? At least we're fully-clothed all the time...

The worst part is, it's people like these that give those that really need welfare a bad name. And about the baby-making... they don't happen to be Catholic, are they? "Every sperm is sacred..."
Old 08-27-2000, 04:44 AM
What? Quit putting words in my mouth.

I never said that I thought she was trash (at the time), nor did I say I expected her to 'put out.' I wanted a relationship. Yes. Just a relationship. I knew she didn't 'put out,' and it didn't bother me. I wanted love, caring, and acceptance. I'm a very lonely guy.

I was not of the opinion that she was trash until the lust and "love" wore off, the old shown through, and I took a step back and saw them all for what they are.

Thanks for your opinions, though. We all know how right you truly are.

--Tim
Old 08-27-2000, 04:45 AM
Perfectly fine, Tim. I'll grant you your "visual evidence", as well I'm sure you'll grant me MY need to try to offer an alternative view of the situation.

I take issue with the title of this thread, especially when coupled with an OP that can be looked at in two different ways (not all large, active, busy, and impoverished families are dysfunctional, though it might often appear that way, and I'd be willing to bet that a majority of welfare recipients are not abusing the system), and I still think it's out of line for you to call this family "worthless."

Do you really think that Mom is defrauding the welfare system? If so, you have every right-- make that, responsibility to report your concerns to the Department of Human Services. They don't take kindly to fraud cases, and they will investigate any report they get.

If you believe that the children are not being properly taken care of, then you have the responsibility of reporting that, as well. The smaller kids learn by example. If their elder siblings and parents will not voluntarily be good examples, then either someone will have to force them be good examples, or the kids will be placed with people who want to be.

Or you could do nothing, and those poor kids lose out.

Again, Tim, if you care enough about the situation to bitch about it, then PLEASE care enough about it to do something more to try and change it.
Old 08-27-2000, 05:45 AM
Homer: I'd like to help you but you really do have a hard core "Us" "Them" thing going on. It isn't like that, really. It's "We" and I don't know how to convey that to you.

I find several things about your "story" hard to take. You were so involved with this family at one point, to what? Get some? And now you come in here and talk nothing but trash. I wonder what you would say if you actually got some... I'm thinking, "What a piece of white trash; she fucked me on the second date." I'm seeing catch 22 written all over this...

I'm thinking ANYONE who has a child they can't support or love is irresponsible. It isn't Us/Them it's folks. Okay? No one should have a child unless they can provide. It's not just money, it's love, attention and a multitude of other things. Money isn't the end all be all. In that I just can't agree with you. I know folks with next to nothing who are rearing some wonderful children who will one day be excellent, contributing members to our society.

Do you see that? Can you see that?

Some of the things you describe, "pinching, shoving" and the like I see in some very wealthy families... it's not about the money, Homer, it's about the interaction and the parenting.

Okay?

And the food type and how it's handled? Oh my! That's nothing, really... again, it's not about money... it really isn't.

But I can sit here and post all night. You won't hear a single thing I say. And that's okay too.

You can see things the way you want to; so can I. But I will never believe that MONEY is the prime factor in raising a child. And my tax dollars sometimes go to cheats? Well, I'm not too worried about it. If just one little bit goes to someone who really needs it, to help them rear a strong healthy child then I look at it as money well spent. So call me nuts or crazy, but most folks I know who have "used" the system really, REALLY needed that help.

Frankly, I think the "cheaters" are in the minority and what they get isn't really worth it anyway; it's not like they are living on caviar or something...

And you calling others "narrow minded" is just... pardon me while I erupt in maniacal laughter... but really! Pot and the Kettle, sugar pants! It's so hard to talk about narrow when you are at the bottom of the tube!
Old 08-27-2000, 06:09 AM
Quote:
Some of the things you describe, "pinching, shoving" and the like I see in some very wealthy families... it's not about the money, Homer, it's about the interaction and the parenting.
Aw, Byz, I don't think he's saying "These people suck because they're on welfare." He's saying "These people suck, AND they're on welfare." That is, one would think that people who are dependent on state money would probably want to act a bit differently with that money, rather than to continually act irresponsibly (for some reason, I can't remember if that ends in a "-bly" or a "-bally"... or "-gry", for that matter ).

But you're right, of course... money isn't (or, in some cases, shouldn't) be the determining factor in a family's upbringing. But it can have an impact, even if it's only a small one.

Quote:
I wonder what you would say if you actually got some... I'm thinking, "What a piece of white trash; she fucked me on the second date." I'm seeing catch 22 written all over this...
Not everyone's in it for the sex, m'dear (But I think you knew that already).
Old 08-27-2000, 06:53 AM
SPOOFE Bo Diddly - you ignorant slut! So they suck AND they are on welfare... but somehow they are held to a higher standard?! You just are like a flame three feet tall; get the fuck away from my ass!
Old 08-27-2000, 09:33 AM
I'll just go ahead and stick up for Homer, here.

Why do you assume that this family is not as bad as he says? I have known people with some of the same traits. I don't find it hard to believe that such a family exists.

And no, I don't think that he is holding them to a "higher standard." Any parents deserve criticism for withholding nutritious food from their children. Obviously he isn't complaining about "giving the kids a treat." He is sayig that the kids get little or no nutritious food--only junk food and soda all the time.

Of course it's not only about money. They would be crappy parents rich or poor. But right or wrong, we as American taxpayers tend to get pissed off when our tax dollars are being wasted by welfare cheats. (I don't know whether they are officially breaking any welfare rules or not, but if they are behaving as Homer says, then they are cheating)

And quit giving him a hard time about the girl he liked. We always complain about guys thinking with their nether regions, right? Well, it sounds like he learned an important lesson here, and he is being honest about his experiences. Good for him. Sounds like the girl was a total cockteaser, anyway.

Of course there are no truly worthless people, but it sounds like these people are as close as it gets.
Old 08-27-2000, 09:59 AM
I work with a guy that has a sister that is on welfare. She has been on welfare for most of her adult life. No real reason to BE on welfare, she just IS. The following is just one of the things that she has done. The transmission went out in her car. She came into our shop and got a written estimate for the repairs. It came to about $1300.00. She needed the estimate to turn into the welfare people so she could get the trans fixed. She turned in the estimate, got the money for the repairs. She then went to the wrecking yard and got a used transmission for $75.00 and pocketed the rest of the money.

What's wrong with this picture? Welfare fraud? In my book, yes. And the topper to this is that she wanted her brother (the guy I work with) to install the transmission in her car, in her yard, for FREE !!! Wouldn't even give him $50.00 of the $1225.00 left over from her SCAM.

She HAS been turned in to the welfare people before. It obviously did no good.
Old 08-27-2000, 10:27 AM
I did a small stint as a welfare worker's assistant during my checkered career. My boss got a man a job to help put food on the table instead of depending on welfare. It was the first job the man had worked in 2 and a half years. The poor family lived in virtual abject poverty with often no food in the house. At the end of the first month the man recieved his first paycheck in nearly three years. My boss's job was to do follow ups and so he did a home visit. While there he asked the guy how his work was progressing.

"Great the man said."

Then my boss asked the man what he would buy with his first meager paycheck to which the man answered.

"Well I have my eye on a pet monkey and a swing set for the kids."
Old 08-27-2000, 11:27 AM
Hate to sound like another bleeding heart liberal . . .

but I am.

I'm curious as to how much the mom's significant other helped around the house. Was he struggling to help keep the house clean, and that's why she's the main slob in the scenario?

I know people who have stories similar to the one Homer describes, and most of those people have significant emotional problems and/or had terrible childhoods themselves. That doesn't mean it is wise for them to continue to have children they can only minimally care for, but some people do not have the advantages that other people started out with, and weren't lucky enough to be raised in an environment that encouraged wisdom. And sometimes the school of hard knocks just bruises people.

Homer, it sound like you got your heart severely bruised during your association with these people, and for that, I'm sorry. It sounds like you pitched in and tried to help them, and nothing you did made any difference.

And as for the fact that you probably grew up in a much nicer environment than you describe, well, how nice for you. I guess it gives you a position from which to judge, but what good does that do except let you tell yourself that you are better than they are because of the way they behave?

I agree with previous posters that no one is worthless, and I believe there are reasons for everything, and "blaming the victims" is not helping you and possibly making you more bitter. Would it be possible for you just to let this go?
Old 08-27-2000, 12:18 PM
Re: Ahem. If I may... (long post)

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisCTP
Quote:
Third, kids don't nurse that long. They don't WANT to nurse that long.
They do and they want to, just not all of them. The American Academy of Pediatricians recommends nursing for at least a year.
Old 08-27-2000, 12:30 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by gillygirl
I'll just respond to the nursing deal.....when I worked at KMart, I actually saw a mom sitting on the floor nursing her 4 year old girl.
OMG!!! Call the police!!! She dares to breastfeed her daughter!!!!!In public!!!!

So, gillygirl, does KMart have somewhere private for her to nurse? Or even a chair in the bathroom? No? Then mind your own fucking business.
Old 08-27-2000, 12:47 PM
Prolonged lactation

In some countries, women use this as a form of birth control, which I think the OP wanted more people to use.

gillygirl has apparently not been around people who nursed much for this to have shocked her so much.

I usually safety-pinned a receiving blanket around my shoulder to afford myself a little privacy, because I did not like to be stared at. Also, I very seldom needed to nurse in a public place. But some people do, and have differing ideas about baring their breasts in public than others, and MORE POWER TO 'EM.
Old 08-27-2000, 12:47 PM
I think I should refocus the subject of my anger for you all. In the diatribe against these people, I think something was lost.

I have nothing against welfare. If you need it, you need it. If you don't, then don't abuse it.

As for money being a part of it... no. I live in a pretty poor area, and lots of people around here don't have much. But they manage what they have and are grateful for it. They don't have alot of money, so they don't buy assloads of soda and candy. They don't eat out every night, and they certainly don't waste pounds and pounds of food. Yet these people have even less, and are completely careless about their budgeting and thrift, necessitating even MORE need for assistance than they would if they'd be less wasteful.

What's pissing me off is that she's pregnant, again. They are already not able to take care of the kids they have. They are already receiving assistance because apparently they can't make ends meet. Yet, they continue to breed. That's what pisses me off.

--Tim
Old 08-27-2000, 12:53 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board
Wow, someone is having a baaaaaaad weekend

Tim, are you still actually just mad at your dog, and taking it out on these people?

(hugs Tim chastely, and pats his back, and - HEY! Cut that out mister!)

I personally know a "white trash" family similar to the ones you write of (through a stupid friend that married into them), that could put yours to shame. How about this:

1) The Mom deliberately (her own words) pulled a Wal-Mart display of paint cans down on her so she could sue the store in Olathe. She got a settlement for $12,000.

2) The yougest boy (aka, "The Criminal") is in jail for the 5th time. His latest crime? Attacking gravestones with an aluminum baseball bat. (the prior 4 were car theft, car theft, beating up his friend because he "thought he was gay", and car theft)

3) The oldest girl (badly retarded because the younger girl gave her a massive overdose of allergy medicine when they were all left alone in their pre-teens while the parents went to Sturgis) is married to a guy who is homeless, and also sleeping with the younger sister, and the mother. He sleeps in and around the trash dumpster in the parking lot of their apartments - sometime on the ATSF tracks in Olathe too.

4) The dad was arrested recently for driving an 18-wheeler with a fake license (his license has been revoked many times). He also is a convicted felon, and had several bags of pot and a .38 in the truck. And he got only 60 days in jail!!!

5) They sell drugs out of their house, and have a constant stream of cars pulling into their apartment complex to buy from them. (where are the police? Who knows.)

6) They have probably never written a good check in their lives, yet not only do they continue to get checking accounts, but credit cards as well! A latest scam was them getting the under-18 kids to all get multiple credit cards, after which they maxxed them all out, and laughed when the creditors came.

7) No parent has held a legitimate job in the 10 years I've known of them. Yet, they keep getting money from Government programs, from scams, nuisance lawsuits, theft, and dealing drugs.

8) They laugh at people like my friend - laugh openly - because he works so hard at his job as a manager of a Subway, when they live better off than him and don't do any work.

9) The worst one for last: The retarded girl whose husband lives in the dumpster? They have a little baby girl, born with hideous defects (it's head is so mis-shapen they all call it the "little football"). It is allergic to milk. So they give it milk. It goes to the hospital. They give it milk again, it goes to the hospital. On about the 5th or 6th trip to the ER, the doctors called Child Services, and tried to have the baby taken away. The child was returned after a few weeks to the parents for reasons unknown to all. They sued the hospital, and won an out-of-court settlement SOMEHOW (around $2000 or so). The day the check cleared, they bought about 500 lottery tickets, and about 20 cases of beer, and some more drugs. And then they laughed, and said how they planned it all along, and had deliberately been giving the baby milk to try and sue the hospital for "malpractice". Instead, they were able to have a "nuisance lawsuit" get paid off - good enough!

How do these people do it? Through pity, them being simply masterful manipulators, and Governement handouts. They can turn on the tears like a faucet, and the mother is especially good at turning into a blubbering, pitiable mess in court. Then 5 minutes later she will be laughing, and talking about the next scam she's going to pull.

Long story, but true. These people still live in Olathe, although they have slowed down considerably since the last kids moved out.
Old 08-27-2000, 12:58 PM
Re: Prolonged lactation

Quote:
Originally posted by Spider Woman
In some countries, women use this as a form of birth control, which I think the OP wanted more people to use.
Just curious, how well does this work IRL?

There was a article on the news here about women who breastfeed kids well into their 3's and 4's, and they showed one woman breastfeeding her 7-year old daughter.

Now, as bad as that may sound - it was only one feeding a day (the girl eats normally), and they considered it a "quiet time", where the girl naps for an hour or so with Mom while suckling. It looked strange, but at the same time very peaceful, so I couldn't really object to it.
Old 08-27-2000, 01:05 PM
Oh Anthracite, you are such a meanie. Maybe that family you described just "weren't lucky enough to be raised in an environment that encouraged wisdom."
Old 08-27-2000, 01:18 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by lunasea
Quote:
OMG!!! Call the police!!! She dares to breastfeed her daughter!!!!!In public!!!!

So, gillygirl, does KMart have somewhere private for her to nurse? Or even a chair in the bathroom? No? Then mind your own fucking business.
Quote:
gillygirl has apparently not been around people who nursed much for this to have shocked her so much.

I usually safety-pinned a receiving blanket around my shoulder to afford myself a little privacy, because I did not like to be stared at. Also, I very seldom needed to nurse in a public place. But some people do, and have differing ideas about baring their breasts in public than others, and MORE POWER TO 'EM.
I think you two missed a point. I believe gillygirl was responding to this comment:

OP's comment:
Quote:
Response:
Quote:
Third, kids don't nurse that long. They don't WANT to nurse that long.
gillygirl's response:
Quote:
She didn't seem to be shocked or offended at the idea of breastfeeding in public, or breastfeeding in general; she seemed to be posting an example that contradicted ChrisCTP's statement about 4-year-olds and breastfeeding.
Old 08-27-2000, 01:19 PM
Homer says:

Quote:
What's pissing me off is that she's pregnant, again. They are already not able to take care of the kids they have. They are already receiving assistance because apparently they can't make ends meet. Yet, they continue to breed. That's what pisses me off.
(See my post about being a bleeding heart liberal in this same thread.)

While I'm aware that this is not the forum for Great Debates, can you explain your position here? What's it to you? Can't you just let it go?

Or maybe, go volunteer at a local Big Brothers/Big Sisters club and be a healthy role model to kids who come from homes like these to try to help break the cycle.

Or maybe it makes you feel better to have someone to feel superior to.

I was a divorced mother while my three daughters were still quite small. I worked full time and completed my degree with minimal child-support and I never had to resort to welfare.

One of my friends, who had health problems, also was a single mother of three young children and she and her family relied on welfare for years, and then social security disability. She raised three pretty emotionally healthy, good citizen type kids and was able to do so because, in part, of receiving public assistance.

There are exceptions to every rule and people who abuse any privilege. I think if these people had been raised differently, they would behave differently. Be thankful that you don't come from such a family, or if you do, be glad you have somehow escaped its influence.

You seem to have an issue with this particular family that may have more to do with your anger toward the girl with whom you were involved. Doesn't seem to be doing you much good and does seem to be wasting your time to be angry about this (how long has it been since you stopped seeing her?).
Old 08-27-2000, 01:26 PM
Kat

I understand your point.

Anthracite, that prolonged lactation thing works better for some than others. People in third world countries use(d) it for lack(no pun intended) of better birth control methods.

And then there's Green Bean:

Quote:
Oh Anthracite, you are such a meanie. Maybe that family you described just "weren't lucky enough to be raised in an environment that encouraged wisdom."
What was unwise about the family Anthracite described? Unusual, maybe, something you in your wisdom are not familiar with, maybe, but unwise?
Old 08-27-2000, 01:40 PM
Kat- It was the "I actuallysaw..." It didn't sound like it was something that was okay with her. ICBW, though.
Old 08-27-2000, 01:46 PM
Re: Kat

Quote:
And then there's Green Bean:

Quote:
What was unwise about the family Anthracite described? Unusual, maybe, something you in your wisdom are not familiar with, maybe, but unwise?
Umm, Spider Woman? That phrase in quotation marks was something that you had said about the family in the OP. I quoted you there because I was making fun of your so-called "bleeding heart liberal" contentions. The "rolleyes" smiley would suggest that I ws being sarcastic.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:10 PM
Right back at you Green Bean

I realized the quote was from me, I knew you were being sarcastic, but the whole thing didn't wash. It would have worked better if Anthracite has actually been being mean, and the family had actually been unwise.

If you want to use sarcasm well, try practicing it first like you do with your little smilie faces.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:13 PM
Oh wow. I think you're trying to flame me!
Old 08-27-2000, 02:18 PM
How'm I doing?

It's my first time; I'm a flame virgin.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:37 PM
I beleive the breast feeding in public/till they are 'too old' thread has been done before, to death if I recall.

Re the OP, Homer, I dont blame you for being pissed. Not a damn bit.

It isnt about who is 'better' than someone else, or any of the other crap you have been accused of, its about children that are NOT being cared for (call social services? Puh-leese! Like that would do any good!) and the fact that MORE children are being brought into the world and will end up dirty, unsupervised, undernourished, and that THEY will grow up to be more of a drain on the system.

If people like that, and the other examples given, were better monitored (managed if you will) they could make something of themselves! They could become part of society instead of a constant SUCK on the resources of people who DO work.

If this woman had stopped at one, two, or even FOUR kids, think where the extra money could have gone.... the homeless? the handicapped? the schools? prison reform? drug programs?

What gets to me, is that there is a LIMITED amount of cash, and people like this are sucking up WAY more than their share.

Imagine it if you will, a house with 7 kids, all of whom think that the world owes them a living. Then they all have kids, who all have kids......

If nobody steps up and says "HEY! This isnt the way its supposed to be!" than nothing will ever change.

God knows though that it is not very PC to say : Stop breeding, you welfare leech! But fuck it, I'll say it:
If you cant support the kids you have, dont have any fucking more for the taxpayers to support!

Homer, you should write letters to your congressman, or whatever, and tell them that you dont appreciate the way YOUR money is being spent. It wont do any good, but its more effective than ranting here. AND go over and tell the leech that you are taking one of the kids to live with you, after all, YOUR MONEY PAYS FOR IT!!!
Nevermind, she probably wouldnt get it anyway.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:43 PM
Re: Right back at you Green Bean

Quote:
I realized the quote was from me, I knew you were being sarcastic, but the whole thing didn't wash. It would have worked better if Anthracite has actually been being mean, and the family had actually been unwise.
I wasn't trying to be mean actually. I feel badly for the way these people live, and would offer to help them maybe except I have seen what has happened to people who offer to help them. It's sorta like what happens when you offer to help a snapping turtle:

Unrelated thread about trying to help something that doesn't want/is too dangerous to be helped.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:48 PM
Anthracite:

Love the link. I didn't think you were being mean.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:51 PM
Well, breastfeeding in public isn't what's bad-sitting on the FLOOR though isn't a smart idea-it gets in the way of people. Go sit on a chair in the cafe-that's MUCH better.
Or we let people use the dressing rooms. Seriously.
But don't block the aisles by sitting on the floor for ANY reason.

Um, excuse me? Letting trash sitting around in your HOUSE?
Letting young kids shit and piss on the floor? Do you have any idea how much DISEASE that spreads? Cholera, typhus, anyone? Scabies, lice, e.coli?

You CAN get diseases from rotten food sitting around. I'd say that's damn irresponsible.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:51 PM
Re: prolonged lactation

Quote:
Originally posted by Anthracite
Quote:
Just curious, how well does this work IRL?

There was a article on the news here about women who breastfeed kids well into their 3's and 4's, and they showed one woman breastfeeding her 7-year old daughter.

Now, as bad as that may sound - it was only one feeding a day (the girl eats normally), and they considered it a "quiet time", where the girl naps for an hour or so with Mom while suckling. It looked strange, but at the same time very peaceful, so I couldn't really object to it.
Well, in my case, while nursing my son, I didn't get my period back until he was 15 months old, and didn't ovulate until he was 2. Our kids are 2 years 10 months apart. Breastfeeding is a pretty reliable contraceptive for MOST women until the baby is ~ 6 months old. Most women get their periods back (if they're nursing) between 9 months and a year after giving birth, but sometimes it's possible to ovulate before getting a period and get pregnant. Some women, though, are fertile much sooner, even if the child is nursing lots.

--tygre
Old 08-27-2000, 02:55 PM
Green Bean

kellibelli says
Quote:
God knows though that it is not very PC to say : Stop breeding, you welfare leech! But fuck it, I'll say it:
If you cant support the kids you have, dont have any fucking more for the taxpayers to support!
The sarcastic quote probably would have worked better after this post. It would have made more sense then.
Old 08-27-2000, 02:56 PM
I had an interesting experience with the Illinois welfare people a couple weeks ago. I answered the door one afternoon to a man who showed me ID saying he was a Public Aid fraud investigator -which checked out, I'm a little cautious about these things. He had come to ask some questions about our scummy neighbors, who I've posted about before.

The neighbor woman (I hate to call her that, she deserves no title better than bitch, but I don't want to insult any female dogs)he was inquiring about is a CONVICTED SEX OFFENDER, who repeatedly assaulted young boys, and has a long record of assault, battery, theft, etc etc etc in at least 3 counties in Illinois alone dating back 5 years.

With a record like that, why the HELL is she getting Public Aid????? She sits on her ass, between vandalizing my house, robbing my house, threatening her former landlord (and stabbing the former landlord's daughter with a pair of scissors), and MY tax money is paying for this.

The investigator was only concerned that she didn't have a job - he had tried to check out the places she claimed she'd applied to, only to find out none of them actually existed. So he was asking me if I knew if she worked or where she worked, and I told him that she didn't appear to do anything except harass people - which is the truth.

Upshot is she is in the process of getting evicted (thank you G*d) but her Public Aid checks keep a'coming since she now rides to work with her boyfriend and claims to have a job with him.

I will not even MENTION the 11 unaltered cats she had in a two bedroom apartment, none of which were litterbox trained, and the countless litters of kittens . Of course she let the cats roam! There's nothing quite like getting woken out of a sound sleep at 2 a.m. to cats doing the wild thing on your metal cellar door.

--tygre

--tygre
Old 08-27-2000, 03:07 PM
Guinastasia says:

Quote:
Um, excuse me? Letting trash sitting around in your HOUSE?
Letting young kids shit and piss on the floor? Do you have any idea how much DISEASE that spreads? Cholera, typhus, anyone? Scabies, lice, e.coli?

No, that is not a good idea or responsible behavior to do this. And it sounds like Homer tried to help out when he was going with the daughter of the house. But my question to Homer, and I'm still wondering, was, how much did the significant other help this woman around the house? If we're going to be indicting her behavior, let's be a little more equal about it.

I'm not always the best housekeeper either, but I am almost an empty nester and it has never gotten even close to what is described here. I notice when my house looks the worst is when I am depressed, and the messier it gets, the more depressed I get (and eventually I get off my ass and clean it). Could be the baby factory lady is depressed beyond her ability to help herself and has just given up.

Homer, whaddya think?