Old 03-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Disgusting question about treating a boil

I have a boil between my, ahem, manhood and my inner leg- basically where the left leg joins the torso but on the underside. It's "offense is rank and stinks to heaven"- not so bad when I'm fully clothed and mobile but when I take off my clothes and move my leg a bit------- YIMINY! If Hell has Renuzit then this is the scent they use where Child Molestor Blvd intersects with Mass Murderer Ave.

I've used some Gold Bond (and previously some baby powder) to both make it less noisome and absorb some of the stench and hopefully give a bit of relief (it's not super painful but it's presence is known). I can't tell if it's getting ready to pop yet. I'm in a play on Thursday night and have dress rehearsals in the meantime.

Any suggestions for anything to help with the smell/discomfort or bring it closer to the "boil"ing point?

Thanks
J
Old 03-05-2006, 11:11 PM
Ya might could try Tea Tree Oil; very antiseptic and antibiotic. Available at most Health Food/alterna stores. The requisite "Not a Doctor" disclaimers, but tea trea is pretty well acknowledged as a good topical antibiotic if you do a websearch.
Old 03-05-2006, 11:14 PM
The Turtle Moves!
Charter Member
IANAD, but apply hot moist heat, bring it to a head, and pop or lance that sucker.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:53 AM
Tea Tree Oil, while a very good antisceptic, antibiotic, antifungal anti-everything, is also rather harsh and anti-mucus membrane and Little 'Piro will NOT appreciate an errant tea tree splash. My best friend's boyfriend burned all the skin off his little friend that way, trying to treat a genital wart. He was an idiot.

Warm, moist compresses are the first step, and if you're very lucky, they will help bring it to a head and it will pop on its own. Lots of smelliness and infected puss and quite a bit of blood will ensue. Obviously, not a good thing if you're in costume. It might be difficult to explain exactly why you're having your monthly, being male and all.

It's probably a good idea in your case to go see a dermatologist who can get rid of it cleanly, quickly and hygenically.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:26 AM
in my experience really nasty smell is usually from gram negative bacteria such as are common in your bowel; you don't even want to know what an impacted Bartholin gland smells like. Such bacteria are potentially BAD juju. If it was my boil I would be aggresive about getting medical treatment
Old 03-06-2006, 02:43 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlierrn
in my experience really nasty smell is usually from gram negative bacteria such as are common in your bowel; you don't even want to know what an impacted Bartholin gland smells like. Such bacteria are potentially BAD juju. If it was my boil I would be aggresive about getting medical treatment
I once got a hole in my exhaust pipe which caused material from my bowel to get into my body which caused some amazingly large painful boils. Surgery was required to fix the problem once and for all.
Get thee to a doctor.
Old 03-06-2006, 07:57 AM
Creature of the Night
I've had boils in that general area. Not close to my manhood, as I don't have such a thing, but in the groin area. I've had boils in other places, too. Step 1 is putting moist heat on the boil until you can execute Step 2, which is seeing a doctor, who will probably prescribe antibiotics and might also lance and drain the damn thing. Lancing HURTS when it's done (infected tissue is notorious for not taking anesthesia well) but it only hurts for a couple of seconds, and then it's blessed, blessed relief.

If you have a handheld showerhead, spraying the boil with warm water might help bring it to a head, and after it's lanced or it starts to drain, it'll help clean the gunk away. I wouldn't put any powder on it unless approved by a doctor. I would put an absorbent pad of some sort over it, to absorb any drainage. Gauze pads are good. I always use paper tape anyway, because my skin is sensitive, and in this area I'd use paper tape on anyone, because the skin tends to be rather delicate.

I certainly hope you make your way to a doc soon. Antibiotics and/or lancing will help a boil heal up much faster, in my experience, though of course IANAD.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:32 AM
Oh, and after the deed is done, you must come back and describe the excretions in every little nasty detail.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 AM
I've got to admit I've always found this boil coddling (ie leave it alone to pop on it's own) business something of a puzzlement. The instant a pimple on my body even thinks about getting infected if I can reach it with fingernails, pliers or a long handled screwdriver (back zit) it's getting opened, squeezed out and blasted with 100% isopropyl alcohol and possibly antibiotic ointment.

I can't believe you've let yours get so putrescent it's starting to smell! It's mind boggling!
Old 03-07-2006, 01:58 AM
Euuuuuu.

I second the hot wet compress thing. IANAD, but if the pain is making you see stars, one thing I've done on painful zits for myself is rub in some liquid Anbesol. Doesn't completely numb it, but it sure takes the edge off the pain. Might make lancing it a little easier. If you manage to break it, make sure to rub in some Polysporin and cover with a bandaid to avoid gooking up your man-unit with the drainage.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:10 AM
Get that thing to a Health Care Provider. Pronto.
Old 03-07-2006, 05:20 AM
Boils anywhere near the anus ("anywhere" covers quite a large area) may not be what they appear to be. Seek medical advice, because you don't want to interfere with a pilonidal sinus or abcess or any kind of fistula.
Old 03-07-2006, 06:32 AM
I wouldn't mess with it, I'd take it to a doctor. If not, warm compresses for a time and then do some exploratory pokes with a sterilized needle. Once the pus starts flowing, you squeeze that bugger for all its worth.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by astro
I've got to admit I've always found this boil coddling (ie leave it alone to pop on it's own) business something of a puzzlement. The instant a pimple on my body even thinks about getting infected if I can reach it with fingernails, pliers or a long handled screwdriver (back zit) it's getting opened, squeezed out and blasted with 100% isopropyl alcohol and possibly antibiotic ointment.

I can't believe you've let yours get so putrescent it's starting to smell! It's mind boggling!
This might work for a simple zit, but a boil is a different animal. If you go squeezing on it you risk forcing the infected pus/gunk into your body rather than out. If it gets into your bloodstream you have a serious medical problem on your hands. Blood sepsis ==> potential death.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
I'm not sure that it is a boil. It doesn't seem to have a head. It's about a silver dollar sized really red area that is sometimes sore and other times not. Is there any "this is how you tell a boil" advice?

In either case I'm making an appointment for tomorrow (the first time I've had the chance) to have it looked at.
Old 03-07-2006, 01:07 PM
second that

Quote:
Originally Posted by divemaster
This might work for a simple zit, but a boil is a different animal. If you go squeezing on it you risk forcing the infected pus/gunk into your body rather than out. If it gets into your bloodstream you have a serious medical problem on your hands. Blood sepsis ==> potential death.

I've seen some nasty infections in the ER that way
Old 03-07-2006, 02:02 PM
Sounds to me more likely to be a sebaceous cyst aka epidermoid inclusion cyst. Athough that is not the most common place for them the size, smell, and intermittent pain make this sound most likely. If infected or inflamed they can be incised and drained, but will almost certainly come back unless the entire thing is removed, which is slightly more complicated, but still extremely minor surgery. They don't like to remove them when they are inflammed however, they like to drain them and remove them at a later date.
Old 03-07-2006, 02:42 PM
Charter Member
Listen to irishgirl and get to a doctor. There are too many different things it could be to try to decide how to treat it from the very hit or miss advice of a message board. Guess wrong and you could be wearing a colostomy bag the rest of your life.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:00 PM
Charter Member
Listen to irishgirl and get to a doctor. There are too many different things it could be to try to decide how to treat it from the very hit or miss advice of a message board. Guess wrong and you could be wearing a colostomy bag the rest of your life.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:01 PM
Charter Member
That was weird. I only hit "post" once.
Old 03-08-2006, 06:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qadgop the Mercotan
That was weird. I only hit "post" once.
Clearly the hamsters reckon that a post from you is worth reading twice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
In either case I'm making an appointment for tomorrow (the first time I've had the chance) to have it looked at.
The suspense is killing me. What was the verdict?
Old 03-08-2006, 09:28 AM
E I once had a something (I think it was an ingrown hair) in that location near me girlie bits. It was as swollen as a hazelnut. At the time, I was in a live-in facility (half-way house) on my way to being sober and getting to a doctor was difficult to say the least. My dad came and picked me up and took me in to be seen somewhere and they were amazed at the size of it. I insisted on seeing a gyno. Didn't want some silly intern eyeballing the bits, you know.

Well, on topic, they lanced it and put in a wick to help it drain. Quite the unpleasant experience. To this day, I still get that same ingrown hair flaring up once in awhile. While it hurts like hell to squeeze it, that's some damn satifying pus once it comes out!
Old 03-08-2006, 01:06 PM
Charter Member
Yep. Go see a medical Professional. Soon.

A real boil would look and feel exactly like a large zit that hasn't "come to a head" yet . If it was a real boil (which I doubt), then doing the old "hot water treatment" (soak it in water as hot as is safe and you can stand) might be OK if it wasn't "there". However, the smell (boils don't smell until they burst/are drained, in which case it's all over very quickly), the intermittant pain (boils hurt a lot), and the appearance- all seem to indicate "not a boil".

Let us know what they say.
Old 03-08-2006, 05:57 PM
I want to know how the Doctor visit came out, but you know what they say about boils: A watched boil never pops!
Old 03-08-2006, 06:27 PM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSSchen
E I once had a something (I think it was an ingrown hair) in that location near me girlie bits. It was as swollen as a hazelnut. At the time, I was in a live-in facility (half-way house) on my way to being sober and getting to a doctor was difficult to say the least. My dad came and picked me up and took me in to be seen somewhere and they were amazed at the size of it. I insisted on seeing a gyno. Didn't want some silly intern eyeballing the bits, you know.

Well, on topic, they lanced it and put in a wick to help it drain. Quite the unpleasant experience. To this day, I still get that same ingrown hair flaring up once in awhile. While it hurts like hell to squeeze it, that's some damn satifying pus once it comes out!
I think that I'd avail myself of a little electrolysis in that area if I had a recurring ingrown hair. Ingrown hairs, especially inflamed ingrown hairs, can be a real pain in the...anatomy.

And I too am anxious to hear how the OP fared at the doc's.
Old 03-09-2006, 12:11 AM
Yes, when come back, bring gratuitous descriptions.
Old 03-09-2006, 10:53 AM
Actually it turned out to be an odd (and relatively harmless) combination of two things. I had an insect bite of some sort that accounted for the little bump AND I had a yeast infection. The two (according to the doctor) were probably not related and just coincidentally in the same place. I already had the teeny tiny bump from the insect bite (I noticed it with disinterest Saturday) then got really sweaty after cleaning my house the next day and crashed before bathing good which he said probably caused or hastened the yeast infection. I'm still not sure why the smell was so bad but it's mostly dissipated now, and he gave me a cream and pill to add to my collection.

The only bad news was that the number of people who have seen me frontally naked doubled in one day and I didn't even get a phone number. By the time the fourth person came into the room (first the nurse, then the apprentice-doctor, then the doctor, then another nurse who evidently heard this was the closest she'd come this year to realizing her childhood dream of seeing Burl Ives expose himself) I simply said "Pardon me for not rising", then looked like when I realized "You could take that more than one way" (which is also a loaded comment, so I'll go now).
Old 03-09-2006, 01:00 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
Actually it turned out to be an odd (and relatively harmless) combination of two things. I had an insect bite of some sort that accounted for the little bump AND I had a yeast infection.
Good, glad to hear you're OK. Now, unless the MD also gave you or told you to consume Probiotics/Acidolpholus, I will suggest that you do so. Live Culture Yogurt is a good way of getting those useful commensal bacteria(they also sell pills down at the Health Food store). They do help in Yeast infections.

Yeast infections in guys (sometimes mixed up with "Jock itch") smell pretty bad. Wash all your undies in hot water and either Pinesol, Lysol or Bleach.
Old 03-09-2006, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot
Tea Tree Oil, while a very good antisceptic, antibiotic, antifungal anti-everything, is also rather harsh and anti-mucus membrane and Little 'Piro will NOT appreciate an errant tea tree splash. My best friend's boyfriend burned all the skin off his little friend that way, trying to treat a genital wart. He was an idiot.
Jesus, but this is a disgusting thread.

I use Tea Tree Oil soap in my daily bath. I don't know what percentage the active ingredient actually is, but I wash my face with it and haven't had a big trauma. And I'm the queen of getting soap in my eyes. Maybe that's what the original suggestion was getting at.

Good luck with that, Sampiro.

(must...vomit...)
Old 03-09-2006, 01:43 PM
About 2 years ago, my wife had this hard lump down by her girlie bits. It was painful, but did not appear to have a head. The skin was hot, and hard.

I told her to go get a rag as hot as she could stand and place it on it.... our theory was that it was a deep skin zit, or something foolish.

She held that rag on for about 20 minutes.

She she took it off, it had come to a head. It wasn't a zit.

It was a CLUMP of ingrown hair. You could see a small ball of dark hairs in the head (which was slightly bigger than a pea.

She ducked off to the bathroom, and came back 15 minutes later with a bloody rag pressed against her girly bits.

We then went to Urgent Care, so the dr. could make sure all was well.

She was a bit traumatized.... the dr. actually called another dr to come look at the crater next to her bits.

It has healed, and not recurred.

I <B my wife!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:01 PM
Creature of the Night
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDeth
Good, glad to hear you're OK. Now, unless the MD also gave you or told you to consume Probiotics/Acidolpholus, I will suggest that you do so. Live Culture Yogurt is a good way of getting those useful commensal bacteria(they also sell pills down at the Health Food store). They do help in Yeast infections.

Yeast infections in guys (sometimes mixed up with "Jock itch") smell pretty bad. Wash all your undies in hot water and either Pinesol, Lysol or Bleach.
I love probiotics. I can't stand the taste of yogurt (and I've tried to eat it many times, in many ways) but I can tolerate the little edible tablets. They're good for yeast infections and for the diarrhea that antibiotics often cause.

Yeast infections in women can smell pretty bad, too.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:05 PM
I'd have a doctor look at it, it might even be this. If that is so, you really should let the doctor help it heal properly.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:09 PM
That'll learn me not to reply before I've seen if there are any updates by the OP!
Old 03-09-2006, 03:49 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Bodoni
I love probiotics. I can't stand the taste of yogurt (and I've tried to eat it many times, in many ways) but I can tolerate the little edible tablets. They're good for yeast infections and for the diarrhea that antibiotics often cause.

Yeast infections in women can smell pretty bad, too.
Have you tied the Acidolphlous milk? There is also Dannon LaCreme Mousse, which tastes just like cheesecake (and is also pretty high in fat).

Probiotics also help with canker sores and (I have been told) mild cases of IBS. In general, they are a Good Thing.

Yep. (here's where we really need that "yuck" emoticon)

Oh, and Tea Tree based soap would also be good for washing underwear exposed to a Yeast infection. Some dudes & dudettes tolerate it in their "nether regions", some don't. Try it very carefully 1st.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
Jesus, but this is a disgusting thread.

I use Tea Tree Oil soap in my daily bath. I don't know what percentage the active ingredient actually is, but I wash my face with it and haven't had a big trauma. And I'm the queen of getting soap in my eyes. Maybe that's what the original suggestion was getting at.

Good luck with that, Sampiro.

(must...vomit...)
Tea tree oil soap is fine, and probably around 5% tee trea or so. It probably wouldn't even sting on your genitals. What my friend's boyfriend did is dabbed pure essential oil of tea tree onto his penis with a cotton ball. Did I mention he was stupid?

Didn't want to see one of my favorite posters taking the advice too literally and doing himself some damage.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:17 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhyNot
Tea tree oil soap is fine, and probably around 5% tee trea or so. It probably wouldn't even sting on your genitals. What my friend's boyfriend did is dabbed pure essential oil of tea tree onto his penis with a cotton ball. Did I mention he was stupid?

Didn't want to see one of my favorite posters taking the advice too literally and doing himself some damage.
Too many people assume that natural means harmless - seems to me anything capable of killing bacteria probably poses a strong risk of irritating mucus membranes. At any rate, hope your friend's boyfriend's penis recovered.