Old 03-24-2006, 09:50 PM
Charter Member
Lyrics to the Westminster chimes?

When I was small -- many many years ago -- I sang a song to the Westminster chimes on my grandfather's grandfather clock. I'm not sure where I learned the lyrics, but I think maybe it was from a beginner's book of piano lessons. In any case the last two lines were (at least approximately)

From its high tower
Strikes out the hour.

Nobody I've asked can supply me with the first two lines. Nor do they even recall ever hearing such a song. Any help?
Old 03-24-2006, 11:07 PM
Charter Member
I once saw the lyrics "Ding dong dong ding / hear the chimes ring / From the high tower / All hark the hour". I think that you're correct about it being in a book of piano lessons... John Thompson's Modern Graded Course?

Of course, if we're both remembering the same source, then this doesn't really add any additional support.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:56 PM
Charter Member
Google to the rescue.
Quote:
The world's most famous chimes are the Westminster. Nearly everyone associates the Westminster chimes with the Victoria Clock Tower of the House of Parliament in London. Originally, however, they were fitted to the clock of the University Church, St Mary's the Great, in Cambridge, England. The words to this beautiful chime come from Handel's symphony, "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" and could be our daily prayer:

Lord through this hour,
Be Thou our guide
So, by Thy power
No foot shall slide.
DD
Old 03-25-2006, 01:04 AM
If a site describes it as a Handel 'symphony', it's worth looking elsewhere. Fortunately, Cecil doesn't make the same mistake:

https://academicpursuits.us/classics/a990430b.html
Old 03-25-2006, 02:48 AM
Why, did, we, vote
For, toe, knee, blay, air
Bush, ez, bee, itch
It's, just, not, fair

Dumb, Dumb, ...
Old 03-25-2006, 03:59 AM
Ogministrator
Charter Member
Moved to CS.

-xash
General Questions Moderator
Old 03-25-2006, 06:17 AM
When I was a wee thing in the Brownie Guides (oh my god how they've changed !) we used to end each 'meeting ' with a prayer sung to the tune of the Westminster chimes - something aloing the lines of "Oh lord our God, hear our call, grant us they peace, and bless us all".
Old 03-25-2006, 06:47 AM
Charter Member
Ah, yes, I see that Cat Jones has the same Brownie Guide experience as I did. (I still don't know why we worshpied and jumped over a large model of amanita muscaria. Most odd.)

"O Lord our God,
thy children call
grant us thy peace
and bless us all"

NOTE - Other answers have nailed the real words - this is jsut one that I expect all Brownies had to put up with.

I like Dan Blather's version better, though.
Old 07-22-2017, 11:30 PM
Westminster Chime Lyrics

The real lyrics are not a symphony, rather a set of pieces known as Handel's Messiah many know from Christmas time performances in many churches.
The first stanza is:
I know that my
redeemer liveth
The verse that many quote as from the Brownie guidebook come later in the piece.
Old 07-23-2017, 01:16 AM
"Ding fries are done, ding fries are done."
Old 07-23-2017, 02:38 AM
The lyrics are not from The Messiah. The TUNE is a variation on a portion of the aria "I Know That My Redeemer Liveth" from The Messiah. The lyrics to that aria are, in full:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messiah
I know that my Redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day
Upon the earth. And though worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall
I see God. (Job 19:25-26)
For now is Christ risen from the dead, the first fruits of them that
Sleep.
As Cecil pointed out in the column linked. Since when do we not simply defer to the Perfect Master on this site when he has already answered a factual question for us?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:43 AM
Charter Member
... and the lyrics referenced by OldGuy and Chronos are from John Thompson's "Teaching Little Fingers How to Play"
Old 07-23-2017, 01:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3 View Post
... and the lyrics referenced by OldGuy and Chronos are from John Thompson's "Teaching Little Fingers How to Play"
Which, as far as potentially awkward titles go, is pretty up there.
Old 07-23-2017, 02:15 PM
Is this the same song as Oranges and Lemons?
Old 07-23-2017, 03:03 PM
Suspended
Nah, chimes are the rhythm of the bells *, to which words were added apparently

Westminster Chimes on a Bulova Clock

Oranges and Lemons
is a song listing London Churches.

* As in that wondrous old poem which comforted us as scared little children

And the people--ah, the people-- They that dwell up in the steeple, All alone, And who, tolling, tolling, tolling, In that muffled monotone, Feel a glory in so rolling On the human heart a stone-- They are neither man nor woman-- They are neither brute nor human-- They are Ghouls:-- And their king it is who tolls ; And he rolls, rolls, rolls, rolls, Rolls A pćan from the bells! And his merry bosom swells With the pćan of the bells! And he dances, and he yells ; Keeping time, time, time, In a sort of Runic rhyme, To the pćan of the bells-- Of the bells

etc.