Old 08-06-2006, 03:14 PM
Pear-shaped men

What causes some men who gain weight to end up with that weight distributed in a female fashion? Typically, men carry excess fat in the chest and abdomen, while women's fat ends up on the hips and thighs. But every once in while, you'll see a pear-shaped man, with all the fat on his hips and thighs.

Is this a hormonal thing?
Old 08-06-2006, 04:48 PM
May I suggest Klinefelter syndrome?

I'm pear-shaped...

An upsidedown pear!

BOOYA
Old 08-06-2006, 05:54 PM
Well, assuming no biochemical or pathological abnormalitiies, such men have a lower risk of a cardiovascular disease and heart attack than men with the more typical distribution. They have a *much* lower risk of a heart attack than men with peritoneal fat (fat "in" the belly, rather than "on" the belly)

Steatopygia (fat thighs) can have many causes in men, including genetics (the male Phaorahs were prone to it) and endocrine problems (typically congenital or longstanding, IIRC: e.g. high estrogen levels of more recent (or acute) origin usually causes other effects on tissues first and a different fat distribution)
Old 08-06-2006, 09:26 PM
All of my extra fat is contained in the belly and thighs region. It's so hard to find pants that fit my waist, but aren't too tight on the thighs, or fit the thighs, but then aren't too loose in the waist.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off