Old 11-27-2006, 11:49 AM
How do I shrink these pants?

60/40 cotton/ployester. Washed them in hot water and dried on highest setting a couple times. They haven't shrunk a bit. An older pair of the same pants shrunk nicely, but that was over the course of years.

Would dropping them in boiling water help?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:04 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member
You could just gain some weight.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:32 PM
Polyester on it's own shouldn't shrink, so it's the cotton content that allowed the other pair of pants to shrink over time. I wouldn't recommend boiling them. Polyester can melt at high heat - if the pants are labeled for high-heat ironing, go ahead, but I'd guess they probably say to iron on low if necessary.

You may be stuck with just rewashing them over and over again, since you say the other pants took a few years to really shrink. That, or get them tailored.
Old 11-28-2006, 12:18 AM
Charter Member
We just finished Thanksgiving and Chairman POW needs to shrink pants.

I dunno whether to slap Chairman POW or feel sorry for Chairman POW.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
We just finished Thanksgiving and Chairman POW needs to shrink pants.

I dunno whether to slap Chairman POW or feel sorry for Chairman POW.
How about you tell me how to shrink my pants?
Old 11-28-2006, 05:49 PM
You can't shrink poly. Take them to the tailor.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:26 PM
Urea shrinks polyester, but I suspect that you may not want to wear those pants once they've been shrunk that way.

A dry heat around 80-85C will shrink polyester as well. Much higher and it starts lengthening again. Unfortunately, my experiments with this tell me that the shrinkage is not always uniform, depending on the fabric involved.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:13 PM
Charter Member
MrJackboots:
Quote:
Urea shrinks polyester, but I suspect that you may not want to wear those pants once they've been shrunk that way.
And regarding how you came to this knowledge, the less said the better ... ?
Old 11-28-2006, 11:18 PM
Charter Member
MrJackboots:
Quote:
Old 11-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHunter3
Not really. It was one of those "Weird Chemistry Fact of the Day" things my Intro Chem professor liked to write on the board before lecture. I have no idea why I remembered it.
Old 12-01-2006, 01:26 AM
so, I suppose it's tos them into the dryer and hope for the best....
Old 12-02-2006, 11:08 AM
BANNED
Use my washer.All my clothes are shrinking at the same time. Must be something wrong with the washer.