Old 12-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Charter Member
What's the origin of "skosh," meaning "a little bit"?

https://academicpursuits.us/classics/a3_267.html

Okay, I'll bite.

What is a Clog Palace?
Old 12-13-2006, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bosda Di'Chi of Tricor

Okay, I'll bite.

What is a Clog Palace?
Presumably a place you clog dance.
Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq
Presumably a place you clog dance.
Cite?
Old 12-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Charter Member
Of course, we in Hawaii have used that term for years.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:20 PM
When I visited Japan with my wife, and were looking for a hotel, the mamma san asked if it was for a skoshi time. You know what she meant but we didn't and had to look it up in the dictionary.
Old 12-13-2006, 05:23 PM
Quote:

Okay, I'll bite.

What is a Clog Palace?
A house built by a plumber.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Cite?
You and humor don't do too well with each other, do you?
Old 12-13-2006, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Cite?
But since you ask...
Quote:
About the author

Julie Mangin has been dancing since 1980, and playing banjo since 1989. She used to publish The Daily Clog, a newsletter about old-time music and dance, and organize old-time music events at the Clog Palace, in the Washington DC suburbs. Ms. Mangin is a librarian by profession.
From This site. Not definitive, but I think you get the idea.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:04 PM
sukoshi, hoki, zori

My mom's family has always used "skosh" interchangeably with "smidge", as well as "hoki" for those funky hand-powered carpet brush devices that everyone had before there were Dirt Devils, and "zoris" for flip-flops. I believe my grand-dad picked them up either during the GHQ period in Japan, or sometime during the Korean War. These are all Japanese in origin:

'sukoshi' means a little and is generally used for physical amounts, as in, "osatou wa ikaga desu ka? / Ah, sukoshi dake onegaishimas." ('Would you like sugar? / Oh, only a little, please.") In Southeastern Japan, especially in or around Tokyo, certain sounds at the ends of words go nearly unvoiced, and most 'u' sounds are given little voice as well, so the written 'sukoshi' comes out sounding like "skosh".

'hoki' is Japanese for broom, which makes sense, but I'm not sure how the carpet sweeper gained that name in our family. It appears that two companies still sell carpet sweepers named "Hoki", "Hoky", or some other variation, though, so it may have been a brand name taken from Japanese originally.

'zori' are a traditional Japanese footwear from which our modern-day flip-flops probably originated (via New Zealand, if Wikipedia is to be believed).

It's interesting how words, phrases, and information can be transferred so far around the globe.
Old 12-19-2006, 09:34 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleet01
"osatou wa ikaga desu ka? / Ah, sukoshi dake onegaishimas."
Ah, memories! To me, flip-flops are zoris. And we used s'koshi in our house all the time. For decades after we returned from Japan dad would say 'Onno-ne! Kohi wa kudasai!' or 'Osatu wa kudasai!' I used to hate it sometimes, when he'd ask for coffee while I was in the middle of watching a show or reading a book. I'd give much to have him around to bother me so now.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:55 PM
Restring

I was a cabinet maker for many years, and the word "skosh" had a very clear and distinct meaning in that craft. A skosh is the unit of measure described by the diameter of a Red Female pubic hair.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restring
I was a cabinet maker for many years, and the word "skosh" had a very clear and distinct meaning in that craft. A skosh is the unit of measure described by the diameter of a Red Female pubic hair.
Never seen a Red Female before. What species are they?
Old 12-23-2006, 11:38 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq
Never seen a Red Female before. What species are they?
You don't see them very often. Not since the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Ain't got no cigarettes
Feeling lonely, you can bet
My girlfriend moved to Budapest
She's become a comunist

No one to make love to
Man, I tell you, I'm so blue
But blue I'd rather be than Red
I'd rather be dead...