Reply
Thread Tools Display Modes
#1
Old 02-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Over by dere
Posts: 27,023
Are Sarah Silverman and Jonathan Silverman related?

I see a resemblance but I can't find a reference.

I can't believe she dates that asshole Jimmy Kimmel.
#2
Old 02-01-2007, 04:40 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,649
IMDB lists Sarah as having 3 sisters, including 1 actress (who appears in her new show, I believe) and 1 screenwriter. One suspects if she was related to Jonathan, they would've mentioned that. They don't.
#3
Old 02-01-2007, 04:44 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,400
From IMDB: Sarah Kate Silverman
Quote:
Has three sisters: Susan Silverman, a feminist rabbi (and co-author, with husband Yosef Abramowitz, of the book of 'Jewish Family & Life: Traditions, Holidays, and Values for Today's Parents and Children'); Laura Silverman, an actress; and Jody Silverman, a screenwriter.
From Wiki but not verified:
Quote:
Because of the surname and physical resemblance of their facial features, many people mistakenly assume she is related to actor Jonathan Silverman, even though the two are not related.
Jim
#4
Old 02-01-2007, 04:45 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Inside
Posts: 3,667
Quote:
Originally posted by Kalhoun
I can't believe she dates that asshole Jimmy Kimmel.
Reminds me of the Roast of Pamela Anderson on Comedy Central where I think Greg Geraldo made a comment about something "drying up faster than Sarah Silverman's pussy around guys who can't help her in the business."
#5
Old 02-01-2007, 04:54 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
I came to quote the line pool quoted- probably the funniest one liner in all of the roasts made by anybody other than Jeff Ross. The look on Sarah's face after Giraldo said it made you think that even she knew it was true.

I believe her new show on Comedy Central premieres tonight- I wonder she got a show on Comedy Central? I do think she is funny though, and a hottie.

Last edited by Wee Bairn; 02-01-2007 at 04:56 PM.
#6
Old 02-01-2007, 05:31 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Over by dere
Posts: 27,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
From IMDB: Sarah Kate Silverman


From Wiki but not verified:


Jim
See? I knew I saw a resemblance. I also can't believe she's 36 years old. She looks like a little teeney-bopper.

Her new show looks interesting. I'm going to have to make a point of watching it.
#7
Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
I came to quote the line pool quoted- probably the funniest one liner in all of the roasts made by anybody other than Jeff Ross. The look on Sarah's face after Giraldo said it made you think that even she knew it was true.

I believe her new show on Comedy Central premieres tonight- I wonder she got a show on Comedy Central? I do think she is funny though, and a hottie.
Hmmmm.....

Maybe she got a show on Comedy Central because she is funny, and a hottie?
#8
Old 02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
I can't believe she dates that asshole Jimmy Kimmel.
He left his wife and kids to take up with her. She's a charmer.
#9
Old 02-01-2007, 06:15 PM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 9,384
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
I see a resemblance but I can't find a reference.

I can't believe she dates that asshole Jimmy Kimmel.

Sarah is pretty much an asshole, too. She's a cute, funny asshole, but an asshole all the same.
#10
Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: SF Bay Area, California
Posts: 12,660
Her show got a good review out of the San Francisco Chronicle's cynical Tim Goodman, who I find generally has decent taste. But he makes it clear that it isn't necessarily a show for everyone:

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...L&type=tvradio


- Tamerlane
#11
Old 02-01-2007, 06:49 PM
Sith Mod
Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 42,434
A friend of mine dates* a girl who has an overwhelming resemblence to Sarah Silverman. Not so much physically (although there's that, too) but in terms of personality. She's hilarious from a distance, but if you spend more than ten minutes in the same room with her, you want to start slapping her and never stop. I get exactly the same vibe off of Silverman as I do off my friends gf. I love her stand up, but I never, ever want to meet her in person.

*Or possibly dated. I'm not sure if they're together right now. They have one of the Schroedinger relationships, where it's impossible for an outside observer to figure out the position or speed of their relationship, unless you ask one of them, at which point you will be given so many tedious details of their personal dramas that you end up killing yourself.
#12
Old 02-01-2007, 07:31 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
See? I knew I saw a resemblance. I also can't believe she's 36 years old. She looks like a little teeney-bopper.

Her new show looks interesting. I'm going to have to make a point of watching it.
She is really pretty, but if you take a close look at her you realize she is a really pretty mid-30s woman, not a young twenty year old.

I plan to check out her show. Comedy Central is still looking for a replacement for Chappel. Mencia did not come close on the ratings. So now Sarah gets a chance.

I hope she lives up to there expectations. I like her and her comedy.

lisacurl: you appear to be condemning her on very little. For all you know Jimmy's marriage was on the rocks for a long time, or maybe the wife left him.

Jim

Last edited by What Exit?; 02-01-2007 at 07:34 PM.
#13
Old 02-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 29,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
A friend of mine dates* a girl who has an overwhelming resemblence to Sarah Silverman. Not so much physically (although there's that, too) but in terms of personality. She's hilarious from a distance, but if you spend more than ten minutes in the same room with her, you want to start slapping her and never stop. I get exactly the same vibe off of Silverman as I do off my friends gf. I love her stand up, but I never, ever want to meet her in person.
I've always heard that the vast majority of comedians have private personalities that are nothing like their stage personas.

Are you basing your dislike on some actual knowledge of Silverman or just her act?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
Wee Bairn I came to quote the line pool quoted- probably the funniest one liner in all of the roasts made by anybody other than Jeff Ross. The look on Sarah's face after Giraldo said it made you think that even she knew it was true.
You're saying that Jimmy Fucking Kimmel has sway in the business? And that sway is so powerful that after being her boyfriend for five years he managed to get her a short-run series on Comedy Central - a series based on the hit cult film that she made, a movie that he doesn't even rate a producer's credit on?

Either you have an odd idea of "true" or an even odder idea of show business.
#14
Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Sith Mod
Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 42,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exapno Mapcase
I've always heard that the vast majority of comedians have private personalities that are nothing like their stage personas.

Are you basing your dislike on some actual knowledge of Silverman or just her act?
Just her act and seeing her on talk shows and the like. And I like her act quite a bit. She's a great comedian. But if her stage persona is anything like her real life personality (and I admit, I don't have any way to know if it is) then I'm just as happy to keep a TV screen between me and her.
#15
Old 02-01-2007, 08:31 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
Exapno, I'll be honest, after I posted that and too late to edit, I thought 'that post can be torn apart, I hope nobody notices' and darned if you didn't
#16
Old 02-01-2007, 08:48 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: I'm right behind you!
Posts: 7,176
I've seen a few eps of the new show. It's cute, hilarious at times (like her cough syrup binge) but hit and miss overall (like Silverman herself, who's quite anti-social in real life. By the way, her older sister -- who plays her younger sister on the show -- is just as funny, and way cuter).
#17
Old 02-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Capitol Wasteland
Posts: 5,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
*Or possibly dated. I'm not sure if they're together right now. They have one of the Schroedinger relationships, where it's impossible for an outside observer to figure out the position or speed of their relationship, unless you ask one of them, at which point you will be given so many tedious details of their personal dramas that you end up killing yourself.
I think you mean Heisenberg relationship.
#18
Old 02-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight
I've seen a few eps of the new show. It's cute, hilarious at times (like her cough syrup binge) but hit and miss overall (like Silverman herself, who's quite anti-social in real life. By the way, her older sister -- who plays her younger sister on the show -- is just as funny, and way cuter).
I am confused, I thought it was premiering tonight?

Jim
#19
Old 02-01-2007, 10:34 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 29,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
Exapno, I'll be honest, after I posted that and too late to edit, I thought 'that post can be torn apart, I hope nobody notices' and darned if you didn't
Both you and Miller may be completely right about her. But Comedy Central roasts really do aim at the standard that the White House Correspondents’ Association advocates for its dinners: singe, don't burn. All (well, almost) the comics who perform on them are real-life friends and they're taking friendly shots, not cutting one another apart. (And the non-comic celebs have their jokes written for them by comedy writers who are part of the same crowd.)

I just think that the evidence you two were using had no rational basis.

Cat Fight, who may be a Hollywood insider, if already seeing multiple eps is a clue, seems to know something about Silverman's real life. Comics are rarely really nice people. Silverman could an awful person. Still doesn't mean she's sleeping her way to the middle.
#20
Old 02-01-2007, 10:48 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Fight
By the way, her older sister -- who plays her younger sister on the show -- is just as funny, and way cuter).
I am confused again. I just saw her sister Laura for the first time and Sarah is most emphatically cuter. I guess it is a matter of personal taste though.

Jim
#21
Old 02-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,892
Sarah Silverman went to my high school. She graduated the year before I started, but my sister was there at the same time (she was in Sweet Charity with her her freshman year (my sister's); Sarah was the lead, of course). I don't recall well, but I do sort of remember her personality being sort of off-putting. Nothing I can put my finger on, especially given that I was twelve at the time.
#22
Old 02-01-2007, 11:27 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: I'm right behind you!
Posts: 7,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
I am confused again. I just saw her sister Laura for the first time and Sarah is most emphatically cuter. I guess it is a matter of personal taste though.

Jim
I like Laura's cat eyes and voice. She, too, by the way, is a bit anti-social. And Sarah is off-putting in person because she's got a bit of the OCD. She's not mean or anything, just awkward.
#23
Old 02-02-2007, 12:10 AM
Guest
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Cowtown
Posts: 9,384
Well, I just watched the show. I had high hopes because I do think she can be funny.

Man, it was just awful. Everything felt forced and nothing was really very funny. Not even good enough for me to give it a second chance on the next episode. I'm out.

The dog was cute, though.
#24
Old 02-02-2007, 12:52 AM
BANNED
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: NY USA
Posts: 7,635
Her older sister is probably best known (and at the same time not known at all) as having played Laura the secretary on Dr. Katz. See was even drawn (squigglely) like herself (as were all the characters on that show). She was also Brendon's step-mom on Home Movies.

I not only think Sarah is cuter, but I don't think they look even remotely similar...
#25
Old 02-02-2007, 03:22 AM
Charter Member
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 6,552
I think Sarah Silverman is completely hilarious, but, wow, that was a really awful show. There's some talented people involved, so it can't help but have a few funny moments, but mostly I thought it was a train-wreck. The acting was so bad that it undermined the comedy, and so many of the jokes were just . . . dumb.

Also, I don't think the ad campaign leading up to the show helped at all. Comedy Central has ben promoting the hell out of this thing, and they showed about a dozen different clips of Sarah saying inappropriate things. A lot of those, I thought, were jokes that would have been funny if I didn't expect to hear them.
#26
Old 02-02-2007, 09:07 AM
BANNED
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
I retract my retraction- that show HAD to be put out as a favor to someone- there is no way it was aired because of quality. I was going to turn it off after five minutes but watched the entire show just in case it becomes a "Turn-On"-esque one-show-then-cancelled-fiasco, which I truly think it will be. 30 years from now people will be talking about whether it was bad as the say, and I will be able to say "yes. yes it was".

I love Sarah, I think her stand-up and roasting are awesome, but that was bad in a Metal Machine Music kind of way, like the were trying to purposely put out a piece of shit to get out of a contract commitment or something. This is proof that you can be stand-up funny and not TV show funny. They really should have done this as a sketch comedy show instead of a psuedo-sitcom or what ever the hell that trainwreck was.

Where to begin? The after school special quality of acting by everyone onscreen? A joke maybe once every five minutes, none of which were funny and all of which were stand-up lines randomly thrown in whether they fit the scene or not? Pointless gay and black stereotypes that adding nothing? Even the camera work and editing sucked. Truly wretched.
#27
Old 02-02-2007, 09:18 AM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 50,623
Sarah Silverman is funny? I think she sucks. It's not because I find her offensive-I really don't. It's because she's a one trick pony. Her entire act consists of her saying something offensive, then going, "See! See, I said something bad-aren't I a stinker?" Gah. Her timing sucks and if you've heard one of her jokes, you've heard them all.

Margaret Cho did it first and does it MUCH better, thank you.
#28
Old 02-02-2007, 09:20 AM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
I retract my retraction- that show HAD to be put out as a favor to someone- there is no way it was aired because of quality. I was going to turn it off after five minutes but watched the entire show just in case it becomes a "Turn-On"-esque one-show-then-cancelled-fiasco, which I truly think it will be. 30 years from now people will be talking about whether it was bad as the say, and I will be able to say "yes. yes it was".

I love Sarah, I think her stand-up and roasting are awesome, but that was bad in a Metal Machine Music kind of way, like the were trying to purposely put out a piece of shit to get out of a contract commitment or something. This is proof that you can be stand-up funny and not TV show funny. They really should have done this as a sketch comedy show instead of a psuedo-sitcom or what ever the hell that trainwreck was.

Where to begin? The after school special quality of acting by everyone onscreen? A joke maybe once every five minutes, none of which were funny and all of which were stand-up lines randomly thrown in whether they fit the scene or not? Pointless gay and black stereotypes that adding nothing? Even the camera work and editing sucked. Truly wretched.
Well I did not think it that awful. But it was pretty worthless. I doubt they will drag me in for another episode.

It did mostly remind me of an SNL skit that went on way too long and where they did not know how to get out of it. I do not think the sitcom format is going to work for her as a lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia

Sarah Silverman is funny? I think she sucks. It's not because I find her offensive-I really don't. It's because she's a one trick pony. Her entire act consists of her saying something offensive, then going, "See! See, I said something bad-aren't I a stinker?" Gah. Her timing sucks and if you've heard one of her jokes, you've heard them all.

Margaret Cho did it first and does it MUCH better, thank you.
As usual, this is a matter of personnel taste. I have never found Cho funny or entertaining. Her comedy style is painful. Sarah is not one of the great stand-ups, but she is funny. The last really funny female Stand-Ups were Rita Rudner and Roseanne. I cannot think of any since. I might be forgetting someone.

Jim

Last edited by What Exit?; 02-02-2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: added reply to Guin: Congrats on the 30k mark BTW. You are the first.
#29
Old 02-02-2007, 09:22 AM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Over by dere
Posts: 27,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
I retract my retraction- that show HAD to be put out as a favor to someone- there is no way it was aired because of quality. I was going to turn it off after five minutes but watched the entire show just in case it becomes a "Turn-On"-esque one-show-then-cancelled-fiasco, which I truly think it will be. 30 years from now people will be talking about whether it was bad as the say, and I will be able to say "yes. yes it was".

I love Sarah, I think her stand-up and roasting are awesome, but that was bad in a Metal Machine Music kind of way, like the were trying to purposely put out a piece of shit to get out of a contract commitment or something. This is proof that you can be stand-up funny and not TV show funny. They really should have done this as a sketch comedy show instead of a psuedo-sitcom or what ever the hell that trainwreck was.

Where to begin? The after school special quality of acting by everyone onscreen? A joke maybe once every five minutes, none of which were funny and all of which were stand-up lines randomly thrown in whether they fit the scene or not? Pointless gay and black stereotypes that adding nothing? Even the camera work and editing sucked. Truly wretched.
Shit. I'm glad I z-z-z'd out before it started.

What you said about stand-up sucking at sitcom is true. And the other way around, too. Kramer comes to mind. Even if he didn't melt down on stage, he's simply not a stand-up guy.
#30
Old 02-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Somewhere cold 'n squishy
Posts: 5,180
Wow, I loved her premiere show, it had me in tears. It reminded me of Chris Elliot's old show, Get a Life, in its absurdist weirdness. Like Get a Life, or Cabin Boy, that style of humor ends up being received at the extremes of the Stupid <---> Genius spectrum.

I think it will succeed or fail based on the supporting cast. If she can keep a cast of others that can also support the humor while she is not delivering herself, then I think it will be one of my favorite new shows
#31
Old 02-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Guest
Join Date: Apr 2000
Posts: 15,649
I think the comparison to GaL is a good one, and though I didn't think much of the premiere, it's definitely a show that will probably need to find its legs. Since it's on Comedy Central, I'm sure it'll get re-run endlessly, so I won't be setting my DVR, but I will be on the lookout.

I had a thing going once with a woman who looked a lot like SS (though a much better body), so I guess I've got a soft spot for her--but man, her sister's a really cutie, too.

Last edited by MovieMogul; 02-02-2007 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Coding
#32
Old 02-02-2007, 12:14 PM
Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 12,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
Margaret Cho did it first and does it MUCH better, thank you.
Did it much better, you mean. She doesn't do it anymore.

Now she's an angry bitter woman WITH SOMETHING TO SAY DAMMIT.
#33
Old 02-02-2007, 12:15 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
lisacurl: you appear to be condemning her on very little. For all you know Jimmy's marriage was on the rocks for a long time, or maybe the wife left him.
No, that's just the icing on the cake. I find her entire persona repulsive. I take some solace in the fact that she banks a lot of her act on being the hot chick who says gross stuff, and she's reaching the end of her shelf life for being a hottie to her chosen target audience.

Last edited by lisacurl; 02-02-2007 at 12:16 PM.
#34
Old 02-02-2007, 12:18 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
I must be missing something on Margaret Cho- I thought her act consisted of standing in front of a crowd of gays, telling them how much she likes to eat pussy
#35
Old 02-02-2007, 12:20 PM
Guest
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Lenni Lenape Land
Posts: 5,333
Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB
It reminded me of Chris Elliot's old show, Get a Life, in its absurdist weirdness.
Me too. Throughout the show, I was thinking that it was quirky like Get a Life and Sledge Hammer. I loved both of those shows, although I wasn't impressed with Silverman's. Could it be that I'm maturing? Nah. I will give it several more chances. Especially after I saw her rendition of The Aristocrats joke on You Tube.
#36
Old 02-02-2007, 12:21 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: NY but not NYC
Posts: 29,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hail Ants
I not only think Sarah is cuter, but I don't think they look even remotely similar...
How weird. I saw a clip for the new movie Because I Said So, which features Lauren Graham, Piper Perabo, and Mandy Moore as Diane Keaton's daughters. I wondered, why doesn't Hollywood ever cast people who are supposed to be sisters who look even conceivably as if they could have had the same mother and father?

Then I saw Sarah and Laura Silverman. That's what I mean, I thought. It's totally obvious that those two are sisters, they look so much alike.

Actually I think Sarah has had some work done. Laura looks older, despite being younger. And she's not as cute as Sarah. She looks OK for a real person, but Sarah looks like someone born to be on television.

I also liked the absurdist elements of the show. But Sarah makes herself too totally repulsive to let the show be enjoyable. How edgy. I'll watch it again; it may improve.

It's 10,000 times better than The Naked Trucker & T-Bones show.
#37
Old 02-02-2007, 12:24 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: SE Virginia
Posts: 4,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
What you said about stand-up sucking at sitcom is true. And the other way around, too. Kramer comes to mind. Even if he didn't melt down on stage, he's simply not a stand-up guy.
But he was in Chicago's Second City for years before getting tapped for Seinfeld. I guess his improv was better than his stand-up.

And Wee Bairn, I gotta agree with your assessment of the show, although comparing her to Lou Reed would never have crossed my mind. It was too painful to watch - I turned it off after the cop asked her why she thought he was standing there.

Last edited by Sean Factotum; 02-02-2007 at 12:25 PM.
#38
Old 02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
Guest
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Over by dere
Posts: 27,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by GargoyleWB
Wow, I loved her premiere show, it had me in tears. It reminded me of Chris Elliot's old show, Get a Life, in its absurdist weirdness. Like Get a Life, or Cabin Boy, that style of humor ends up being received at the extremes of the Stupid <---> Genius spectrum.

I think it will succeed or fail based on the supporting cast. If she can keep a cast of others that can also support the humor while she is not delivering herself, then I think it will be one of my favorite new shows
Wow. Get a Life pushed me into the realm of "don't give Chris Elliot one second of screen time" in my house. Heh-heh...that's what makes the world go 'round, I guess.
#39
Old 02-02-2007, 12:34 PM
Guest
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: I'm right behind you!
Posts: 7,176
Quote:
Actually I think Sarah has had some work done. Laura looks older, despite being younger. And she's not as cute as Sarah. She looks OK for a real person, but Sarah looks like someone born to be on television.
As mentioned, Laura *is* older (by how much, I'm not certain). She only *plays* Sarah's younger sister.
#40
Old 02-02-2007, 12:47 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
Sarah Silverman is funny? I think she sucks. It's not because I find her offensive-I really don't. It's because she's a one trick pony. Her entire act consists of her saying something offensive, then going, "See! See, I said something bad-aren't I a stinker?" Gah. Her timing sucks and if you've heard one of her jokes, you've heard them all.

Margaret Cho did it first and does it MUCH better, thank you.
I've never found her that funny either. I've also never thought she was a particularly good screen actor. I think her strength is really the stage (although, again, I'm recalling this from 1988). She was always very natural on stage, and everything seemed so easy. Everything I've seen since seems forced.
#41
Old 02-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Guest
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 8,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by What Exit?
As usual, this is a matter of personnel taste. I have never found Cho funny or entertaining. Her comedy style is painful. Sarah is not one of the great stand-ups, but she is funny. The last really funny female Stand-Ups were Rita Rudner and Roseanne. I cannot think of any since. I might be forgetting someone.

Jim
Yeah, I don't find Margaret Cho all that funny. I agree with you on Rita Rudner and Roseanne (although that latest thing of hers showing on HBO is...well, let's just say it's not good.) But my vote is for Ellen Degeneres...maybe the greatest female stand-up of all time.
#42
Old 02-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Charter Jays Fan
Moderator
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Oakville, Canada
Posts: 38,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalhoun
I see a resemblance but I can't find a reference.

I can't believe she dates that asshole Jimmy Kimmel.
Really? She strikes me as exactly the sort of person who would date an asshole.

I saw her on one of those Celebrity Poker shows once and she reminded me of every hgh school drama twit who acts out and trolls for shock value because of a desperate, I'm-a-broken-human-being need for any kind of attention she can get.
#43
Old 02-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Guest
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 190
I enjoyed the show and also thought of Chris Elliot and his brand of dorky humor. It wasn't spectacular by any means, but I like it just the same. It's bratty, snarky, gleefully sociopathic and doesn't take itself seriously. I'll take this over yelling obnoxious dude humor (Mencia).
#44
Old 02-02-2007, 01:08 PM
BANNED
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Biafra
Posts: 5,734
Let me qualify my disgust for the show by stating that as much as I disliked it, it was still lightyears ahead of the Ned Holness (Carlos Mencia) show in quality, intelligence and humor.

Last edited by Wee Bairn; 02-02-2007 at 01:09 PM.
#45
Old 02-02-2007, 01:24 PM
The Central Scrutinizer
Moderator
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Pork Roll/Taylor Ham
Posts: 23,048
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wee Bairn
Let me qualify my disgust for the show by stating that as much as I disliked it, it was still lightyears ahead of the Ned Holness (Carlos Mencia) show in quality, intelligence and humor.
I'm by no means a fan but to be accurate his name was Ned Mencia at birth. He went by Holness for a while to honor his father but it was never his legal name. I think it was Mitzi Shore who told him to change his first name since Ned didn't go with his accent. Like I said I'm not a fan but the Joe Rogan "fake beaner" thing annoys me. He was born in Honduras, his mother is Honduran and when he wasn't living in Honduras as a child he lived in East LA. I don't know of any instance where he claimed to be specifically Mexican but he lumps in Central Americans like himself with the Mexicans.

The only reason I know this is because when Joe Rogan started flinging his shit I got curious and looked it up. To say the least Rogan exagerated a bit.
#46
Old 02-02-2007, 02:13 PM
Charter Member
Join Date: Sep 1999
Location: Raiderville, TX
Posts: 10,351
I've liked Sarah Silverman on TV before, on SNL and on Greg The Bunny; not having seen the new show, I can't comment on how bad it was or wasn't.

I will say that I listened to a standup performance by Ms. Silverman just last week, and it was painful. Half the time, she seemed to be struggling for something to say next. I got exactly one laugh from the whole performance (paraphrasing): "When I was younger I was raped by my doctor....which for a Jewish girl is kinda bittersweet."
#47
Old 02-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Hollywood
Posts: 6,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Factotum
But he was in Chicago's Second City for years before getting tapped for Seinfeld. I guess his improv was better than his stand-up.

He was never with Second City as far as I can tell... let alone the Chicago wing. He's an LA guy. He might have done some stuff with the Groundlings but he's not Second City.
#48
Old 02-02-2007, 02:25 PM
Guest
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Portland, O-bamagon
Posts: 7,851
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahfeena
Yeah, I don't find Margaret Cho all that funny. I agree with you on Rita Rudner and Roseanne (although that latest thing of hers showing on HBO is...well, let's just say it's not good.) But my vote is for Ellen Degeneres...maybe the greatest female stand-up of all time.
Her conversation with God was one of the best bits ever. I sometimes imagine a sitcom consisting soley of one-sided conversations between Ellen and Bob Newhart.
#49
Old 02-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Member
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Central NJ (near Bree)
Posts: 27,400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Push You Down
He was never with Second City as far as I can tell... let alone the Chicago wing. He's an LA guy. He might have done some stuff with the Groundlings but he's not Second City.
He was on Friday's way back when. He was not especially funny, nor was the show.
#50
Old 02-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Sith Mod
Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Bear Flag Republic
Posts: 42,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturmhauke
I think you mean Heisenberg relationship.
I'm uncertain what I meant there.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: reuter pronounce richard barile now starcraft steam hostess apple pie amphora shape average male inseam mcdonalds grimmace japanese wet room powder mixing techniques queen 70s cake mixer target les schwab payment jumping crab disappointment room history not negotiable check tammy haynes dental implant forums sanvean lyrics fermented pineapple safe backward baseball cap 2004 jetta gls motor flush walmart vodoo book truck undercoating cost man alive saying stabbing myself hungary huns database experience randi forums ram tester machine shrooms and schizophrenia hardest cello piece read receipt yahoo oak tag poster anon define angel and demon on shoulder can you eat the shell of pumpkin seeds rko radio pictures disney how long does it take a jammed finger to heal tonto frankenstein tarzan christmas how do clowns fit in clown car emilia clarke bacon number oil in spark plug wells is my hair black or brown can worms live in water the best translation of the quran white mold on cheese young people dentures before and after average size of horse penis does barnes and noble price match their own website i love bald pussy why are some people photogenic how its made narrator difference between 5'11 and 6 feet buying engagement rings at pawn shops zzzquil reviews yahoo answers is alum safe to eat blue eyes yellow ring around pupil how long does it take for a stomach to empty bacon use by date 0000 steel wool for cleaning glass roses really smell like boo boo meaning read x men comics online how long does it take to learn to swim for adults bald guy with sideburns how to use grecian formula i had sex with my stepdaughter how to make plasma donation go faster does a letter need a return address