Old 10-09-2000, 11:01 AM
I was walking around the MSU campus the other day and I saw a guy who was wearing black leather pants. No biker jacket or anything, just leather pants with a button-down shirt and a denim jacket. Well, this got me to thinking: what is it with gay men and leather pants? I don't have anything against homosexuals (I don't think it's "natural" or "normal" but I'm not a gay-basher). I've also got no problem with leather (I've got a leather bomber jacket and a pair of leather driving gloves, not to mention my belt and dress shoes). But I've never, ever, seen a pair of leather pants and thought to myself "Wow! I'd really like some of those." Could someone explain the appeal of this item of clothing?

(counting down to The Pit...
ten,
nine...)
Old 10-09-2000, 11:15 AM
I really want to hear the logic of "he wears leather pants, so he must be gay"

You've mentioned nothing other than he was wearing leather pants and a dress shirt. You assume he's gay. *WHY* ??
Old 10-09-2000, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Diceman
I was walking around the MSU campus the other day and I saw a guy who was wearing black leather pants. No biker jacket or anything, just leather pants with a button-down shirt and a denim jacket. Well, this got me to thinking: what is it with gay men and leather pants?
What on Earth makes you think the guy was gay?

Oh, that's right...I forgot that straightfolk can tell just by looking at us.

Are there gay guys who are into leather? Yup. Are there gay guys who are into classic cars? Yup. So what? I think you're creating a correlation out of thin air.
Old 10-09-2000, 11:17 AM
Quote:
(I don't think it's "natural" or "normal" but I'm not a gay-basher
And by the by, thank you so much for that. I'm sure the Nobel Peace Prize panel will keep you in mind.
Old 10-09-2000, 11:56 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Grither
Quote:
(I don't think it's "natural" or "normal" but I'm not a gay-basher
And by the by, thank you so much for that. I'm sure the Nobel Peace Prize panel will keep you in mind.
Thanks for that letter dripping with sarcsasm, Grither. I am sure you will make many friends that way.
Old 10-09-2000, 11:58 AM
Charter Member
Actually, it seems surprising that you say you had never seen a pair before. Is MSU (apologies - I don't know what it stands for) a university only attended by tidily dressed people? (Note, that's not meant to sound sarcastic or anything, although I just realised that it might.) As for the appeal, well, you say you want a pair yourself, so they must appeal to you too.

Me, I love the idea, but apart from having very little money nto buy some, I suspect that it would take a lot of wearing before they became comfortable. (I'd be delighted to learn that I'm wrong about that.)
Old 10-09-2000, 02:49 PM
Why wear leather pant? Well most people wear them (or cheaper vinal alternatives) because they are tight and make your ass look good...so go buy some
Old 10-09-2000, 03:12 PM
They are not as rare as you think.

They are abound in Boston, on men- straight men.

Besides, haven't you seen the GAP commercial? EVERYBODY IN LEATHER?

C'mon the GAP says we all have to now, and that includes EVERYBODY- Straight men, gay men, hemaphrodites, babies, brain-a-jar sentient beings- EVERYBODY.
Old 10-09-2000, 03:20 PM
Here in New York, everybody has leather pants. And leather skirts and leather jackets and tall leather boots, etc.

It's called a trend, Diceman, and it'll hit Michigan in a couple years. Soon you'll be parading down your university strip feeling great with your bulging package and pressed asscheeks. The swishy sound that your pants make will attract the gazes of hundreds of hot chicks. Your time will come, be patient.
Old 10-09-2000, 03:38 PM
OK, Turp, I can see "straight men, gay men, hemaphrodites and babies" in leather pants. But I just DON'T think that leather pants are a good look for brain-a-jar sentient beings.

Call me a fashionista if you will, but I must put my foot down.
Old 10-09-2000, 04:17 PM
I'm not the first one to tell you this but you can't tell gays by visual clues. You know a lot more gays and lesbians than you think you do...think about it.
Old 10-09-2000, 04:17 PM
What's up with straight people & denim jeans?
Old 10-09-2000, 04:56 PM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally posted by TampaFlyer
What's up with straight people & denim jeans?
Frank Sinatra never owned a pair of blue jeans in his life. And those butt-less chaps? He swore that he only borrowed them from Sammy but never tried them on.
Old 10-09-2000, 05:57 PM
"God, why do Americans dress so bad? Do they want to look unattractive so they won't get raped, or what? When did it start?" -Andy Warhol
Old 10-09-2000, 06:08 PM
Charter Member
While many of you seem upset at Diceman's post. He never said that the thought that the man he saw wearing black leather pants was gay... he said "...this got me to thinking: what is it with gay men and leather pants?" There's a difference. I read his question to be about stereotypes. Is there not a stereotype of gay men wearing leather? Probably perpetuated mostly by the Village People. Now, granted that the rest of his post indicates him as a possible homophobe, I don't really think that he ever expressed an opinion to the leather clothed man's sexual orientation.

Then again... I could be wrong. Hey, Eddie Murphy wears leather pants! um, maybe we should forget about his little transvestite incident.
Old 10-09-2000, 06:14 PM
BANNED
I considered getting some leather pants until I saw the price. And I'm straight, too. 8^)
Old 10-09-2000, 06:18 PM
I have a pair of leather pants and I'm not gay, hell you can buy them at Hudson's now. By Calvin Klein.
Old 10-09-2000, 06:30 PM
Other than looks what is the appeal? Warmth? I don't imagine they would breathe very well.

"Where's my eatin' pants?"
Old 10-09-2000, 08:16 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
(counting down to The Pit...
ten,
nine...)
While the OP certainly had Pit potential, it looks like our Teeming Millions have done a pretty good job of rescuing it. Meanwhile, Diceman, a good rule of thumb is that if you feel obliged to put a Pit countdown in the OP, it's probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Old 10-09-2000, 09:31 PM
Charter Member
Just a little side quibble. If, in any population, a certain event occurs regularly, then it can be considered normal. In any population of human beings, there will undoubtedly be individuals who are attracted to the same sex. This means that homosexuality is a normal occurance in human populations. Whether it is common is immaterial. It is normal, for example, for some people to be born with red hair, even if it is not common. Red hair can be considered normal, then. If your child is born with red hair, your child is normal, i.e. s/he falls within the norm. In the same way, it is "natural" (not sure what you actually mean by that) for some people to be born with red hair, and for some to be born with more interest in their own sex than for the opposite sex. (Yes, yes, I am aware of cultural influences, too. Forget about that for the moment). I know what you were getting at, but in some ways, natural and normal are powerfully judgmental terms (which, of course, you were implying). I'd like to point out that what you really said is that it's quite natural for some people to be homosexual, but you just don't like it.
Old 10-09-2000, 09:41 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally posted by Grither
[QUOTE What on Earth makes you think the guy was gay?
Oh, that's right...I forgot that straightfolk can tell just by looking at us.
Okay..... you want to really fess up honestly here? Easy with the self-righteous anger. My kid's babysitters are a lesbian couple, have been for over 8 years. They ROUTINELY talk about their "Gaydar"- Gay Radar. That's right, gay people talking about pegging gay people by looking at them.

Gonna start screaming at gays now too?? Hmmm? Oh, and this isn't some private joke, my gay male friends also talk about GayDar.

Cartooniverse
Old 10-09-2000, 10:43 PM
Charter Member
Cecil talks about gaydar, too.
Old 10-09-2000, 10:53 PM
Enright3 wrote:

He never said that the thought that the man he saw wearing
black leather pants was gay... he said "...this got me to thinking: what is it with gay men and leather pants?" There's a difference.

In the strictest sense, yes. However given the logic of his sentence: "sees leather pants, thinks; what is it with gay men and leather pants?" Given this train of thought, it's obvious in Diceman's mind that he connected the two, for whatever reason. As I said in my post, I'd like to hear the logic of it.

Then he goes on and apologizes for his own viewpoint regarding homosexuality. Then he concludes with:

But I've never, ever, seen a pair of leather pants and thought to myself "Wow! I'd really like some of those." Could someone explain the appeal of this item of clothing?

He could have left out the entire section of his posting regarding gay men and his apologies about his viewpoint on homosexuality and still have a coherent posting, mainly about the fashion appeal of leather items and particulary leather pants. But he didn't, so apparently there's some connection in his mind about the two.

As for an answer to his posting; why leather pants. Why not? In the US, among other things, we often use clothing as an expression of our individuality, by the style and coloration and material we use. Maybe this person was doing that.
Old 10-09-2000, 10:58 PM
Does anyone remember that episode of Friends where Ross gets leather pants? Gets hot in them during a date, goes to his girlfriends bathroom, pulls them down to cool off...then can't get them back up. lol
Old 10-10-2000, 09:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Freyr

You've mentioned nothing other than he was wearing leather pants and a dress shirt. You assume he's gay. *WHY* ??
The only place I see people wearing black leather pants is in the Folsom leatherboy neighborhood in San Francisco.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:47 AM
Men in leather trousers

Diceman thinking "what is it with gay men and leather pants" gets me thinking "what is it about straight men who have an issue with men in leather pants". Some women find it attractive you know, regardless of whether the guy's gay or straight. So there.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:59 AM
Anything that occurs in nature is "natural." One of the dictionary meanings is "existing in or occurring in nature." So it is not correct to say that homosexuality is unnatural. It is evident even in animals, other than homo sapiens.

As to theleather pants, there may be many reasons why one would want to wear them. He could be into leather and all it connotates, including s&m, but who knows?
Old 10-10-2000, 10:21 AM
Nothing to add except: Good post CC.
Old 10-10-2000, 12:23 PM
Charter Member
I'd like to second that, good post CC. Also, I take umbrage at that crack about leather pants not looking good on us brain-in-a-jar folk. I'm a brain in a jar, and I always have my leather pants wrapped around the bottom of my cart when I'm wheeled into a PETA meeting.
Old 10-10-2000, 07:07 PM
BANNED
Maybe he was a street luger?
Old 12-24-2010, 03:12 PM
Straight men wearing leather pants.

Hello everybody.

I have read several postings in this catagory and I am going to address as many of your thoughts as possible.

I will admit that there is a tenancy to question a mans sexuality when you see him wearing leather pants but I hate to inform you that is mostly an American one.

In most European countries that question would not even come to mind.

Besides unless you are gay yourself and want to ask the guy on a date why would it even matter if he was gay.

Now think back to earlier times when we made our own clothes instead of buying them.

Leather was worn for several reasons.

It will keep you warm in the winter and cool in the summer as long as it is not lined

The lining is what causes it to be uncomfortable because it cannot breathe
Leather is a skin and does need to breathe

In earlier times leather clothing was a sign of masculinity because you had to hunt,kill,skin the animal and tan the leather on your own.

It was also depending on the quality of the leather and workmanship a sign of wealth.

Also in past times many people could only afford one or two outfits they did not have a closet full of clothes so they chose material that would last.

One person in the thread stated that they were going to by a pair of leather pants untill they saw the cost.

Granted leather pants can be expensive but it is an investment that will last a very long time if properly cared for.

You can buy a pair for as little as $100.00 but they will be a very poor grade of leather and will not last very long.

In many cases you do get what you pay for.

Now I am a gay man and I am into leather for many reasons but the main one is it is very comfortable and I think I look good in it.

Lets face it we usually buy our clothes because we or sombody we are trying to impress things we look good in them.

When I get dressed I automatically reach for my leather jeans just like many of you reach for your dennim jeans.

Last edited by Leatherman; 12-24-2010 at 03:17 PM. Reason: lousy spelling
Old 12-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Charter Member
But Leatherman, thank you for you input but no one has been pondering these issues for TEN FREAKING YEARS.

Leather zombies. Sheesh.

(Disclaimer -- I prefer wool trousers, or a heavy cotton twill. I do own several leather jackets and vests.)
Old 12-24-2010, 03:28 PM
Well, at least now we can find out if leather pants made it into the straight mainstream (straightstream?) in the Midwest. Anyone?

Oh, and this thread totally fails by not having pics.
Old 12-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Zombies in leather pants! Aiiiieeee!!!
Old 12-24-2010, 05:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freyr View Post

Maybe the dress shirt was pink.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:59 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by snakewench
Some women find it attractive you know, regardless of whether the guy's gay or straight. So there.
Back about 20 years ago, when The Doors movie came out, we had a huge surge in people trying on leather pants. Didn't necessarily sell more, but guys would come in, most often, with their wife/girlfriend/date, and put a pair on to see how they look. Guess they thought Jim Morrison looked good in them.
Old 12-24-2010, 06:50 PM
Gay Leather Zombies!

Just wanted to apologize. I'd never happened upon one of my posts before and been surprised at what I'd posted.

Goodness, but I was a strident, angry thing back then.

...but I'm feeling MUCH better, now.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartooniverse View Post
Okay..... you want to really fess up honestly here? Easy with the self-righteous anger. My kid's babysitters are a lesbian couple, have been for over 8 years. They ROUTINELY talk about their "Gaydar"- Gay Radar. That's right, gay people talking about pegging gay people by looking at them.

Gonna start screaming at gays now too?? Hmmm? Oh, and this isn't some private joke, my gay male friends also talk about GayDar.

Cartooniverse
Yes . . . WE have gaydar, not you guys. I'm only half-serious, but that's a lot more than all-serious. Every time I hear straight people guessing who is gay, they invariable mention effeminate men and butch women. And most of the time they're wrong.

And by the way . . . I'm so grateful to the OP for not expressing his prejudice by beating the crap out of me.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Just think, next time we re-open this zombie, it'll be 2020.
Old 12-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Elephant Whisperer
I do not wear leather pants. I am not gay. Therefore, only gay men wear leather pants.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:13 AM
Don't a lot of bikers wear leather pants as well?
Old 12-25-2010, 01:01 AM
Elephant Whisperer
Only gay bikers.
Old 12-25-2010, 02:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I do not wear leather pants. I am not gay. Therefore, only gay men wear leather pants.
I do not wear leather pants, but my partner sometimes does. Does this mean that he's gay and I'm not? Or do these rules only apply to zombies?
Old 12-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Dang..... I was reading thru this thread and saw a post about leather pants coming back. I was hoping maybe I can still fit into the pair I bought in the 80's...... then I saw that the post was 10 years old.

I don't know why I bought them in the first place........... maybe I was gay then. I think I wore them once at the time and again about 15 years later for Halloween.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:27 AM
BANNED
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siam Sam View Post
I do not wear leather pants.
Would you wear them in a house?
Would you wear them with a mouse?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RESOL View Post
Why wear leather pant? Well most people wear them (or cheaper vinal alternatives) because they are tight and make your ass look good...so go buy some
And this is why I'll never wear them. My wife frequently teases me that I'm a member of the "No-Ass Club." I might as well be a cylinder.

You gotta have the right ass for such things. Same way as some men look good in a hat and others don't, some men should NOT wear leather pants. Goes for women too.
Old 12-25-2010, 10:09 PM
Elephant Whisperer
There once was a man who could dance,
Looking cool in his leather pants,
But a seam, it gave way,
As he started to sway,
And his dance gave way to a prance.
Old 12-26-2010, 07:13 AM
I notice that women wearing leather pants/skirt/shorts was, for a while, a television shorthand for her being a bad girl, or at least sexually motivated. I wonder if that tied in with the gay thing. I know there used to be (or perhaps still is) a stereotype of gay men being licentious.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOmens
You gotta have the right ass for such things. Same way as some men look good in a hat and others don't, some men should NOT wear leather pants. Goes for women too.
You just need the right tailor. We had something nicknamed the "sweetheart" cut that accentuated one's rump.

The non-intuitive part is that to be tighter and more closely follow the shape of a butt, more leather is needed - by adding material and changing the curve of the seams, the pants would be able to wrap around the cheeks, rather than being shapelessly stretched across, which is what makes your butt look flat.