Old 06-02-2007, 02:53 PM
Do mice have paws, claws, hands and feet?

What do you call the things that mice walk on and pick things up with?
Old 06-02-2007, 03:48 PM
In college biologial anthropology we called it a "grasping foot-paw."

Last edited by Hello Again; 06-02-2007 at 03:49 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Calling Mouse_Maven....
Old 06-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello Again
In college biologial anthropology we called it a "grasping foot-paw."
That sounds about right. Only primate have hands, so a mouse wouldn't qualify. A paw is just the padded part of a foot on certain mammalian quadrupeds, and stands in contrast to a hoof. Mice do have claws, and a paw isn't a paw unless the animal has claws or nails, too.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:11 PM
I was about to say paw, and then I remembered that deer mice are also called white-footed mice. So paw vs. foot may be a matter of preference.

Claws is a matter of fact; mice have them. I've never heard the front paws/feet called hands unless someone was trying to be funny.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump