Closed Thread
Old 07-06-2007, 12:50 PM
BANNED
Line Jumpers: How do you deal with it?

For the third consecutive time at a theme park I've had to deal with this.

Now to clarify, I don't mind if someone needs to move ahead of me to talk to someone, then come back. Maybe their cell phone battery died or something. Or they take the cue from my confused expression and politely explain to people, "I just need to talk to my mom, I'll be right back/I had to use the bathroom and so-and-so was saving my spot" As you can see I'm still enough of a doormat to permit people to cut in front of me as long as they have legitimate explanations.

While at Six Flags in Vallejo, my girlfriend and I were in line to go on Roar. It was about 98 degrees outside. Suddenly about five adolescent black girls aggresively shove their way through the line, and make their way all the way to the front. The first four caught us off-guard because we weren't looking behind us and they literally pushed us aside to get past. However the fifth one, a straggler, got very angry when my girlfriend did not immediately step aside. She yelled, "EXCUSE ME, RUDE..." and my girlfriend turned around and asked, "Is there a reason you are cutting in front of everyone?" and the girl whirled around, saying stuff like "oh you did NOT say that to me!". I replied, "Yes she did, answer her question." and she glared at me and continued cutting up to the front of the line with her friends.

I was livid. During this whole incident, nobody did anything. We were the only people to speak up about it. I told my g/f I was going to talk to a park official about getting those 5 girls ejected from the park, but she asked me to just drop it. Since she is pretty scared of rollercoasters, and stressed out about the heat and was also on her period at the time I figured we should just drop it and not let it ruin our experience.

However, as supid as this is, it still kind of bugs me. What bothers me most was the kind of 'Crowd Apathy' that went on. Nobody said anything to them, nobody stood up to them or even told the ride operator they were line jumping. Anybody else have a similar experience? Had my girlfriend been in a better mood, we probably would have kept arguing with them, but their body language/voices kind of implied, "I'm cutting in front of you, Want to fight about it?" Its questionable whether I could take on five pissed-off black girls by myself, much less in a crowded rollercoaster queue.

BTW, the reason I mentioned they were black is because the last 3 times I was at a theme park this happened, and it was with a group of black girls. It might be coincedence or it could have some bearing on race- I'm not certain.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:00 PM
I publicly humiliated a woman and her husband who cut to the head of a security line at LAX. In a very loud voice I said things like "Hey! Are you cutting ahead of the rest of us?!" and "Look at those two, they think they're better than the rest of us!" After I broke the ice I half a dozen other people in line with me joined in the ridicule.

The still managed to get through security ahead of the rest of us, but they were both red-faced and visibly upset.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:02 PM
I've experienced a similar phenomenon at theme parks, with African American folk cutting in line to the group of AA folks who are closest to the front. I'm sure sometimes it's legit, but I've witnessed it happening several times where the two groups don't say anything to each other, and indeed seem to behave in all ways like seperate groups. They just take advantage of the fact that many people are both intimidated by African Americans as well as afraid of causing a scene where they might be perceived as racist.

I'm glad I haven't been to an amusement park in a while.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:08 PM
BANNED
Never had it happen to me personally. But if it did I would ask the ticket-taker why he allowed such a thing to happen, get his name and then complain in writing to whoever is running the show.

Maintaining control of the people in line and ensuring there are no line-jumpers is the responsibility of the establishment, not the people in line.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:08 PM
No one has ever been so blatant about cutting in front of me as these girls were with you, but lots of times someone will get ahead and just seem oblivious to the fact that I was there first. It burns me, but I've never said anything to her (it's always a her IME).

However, if I ever encounter a group like the one you describe, one of them is going get "accidentally" tripped.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
Charter Member
I handle it by saying, "Excuse me - the line starts behind me." If five girls with big attitudes cut in front of me, I'm not sure I'd say anything, either, though. I don't want to get swarmed. I'd certainly back somebody else up who was willing to go toe-to-toe, though.

This sounds kind of funny, though - "Since she is pretty scared of rollercoasters, and stressed out about the heat and was also on her period at the time I figured we should just drop it and not let it ruin our experience." Doesn't sound like your girlfriend's having a great time anyway.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:21 PM
I don't know why people let this happen, but I think it's because of the potential for the situation to get worse or even violent. Some other related thoughts:

1) Selection bias - you've only experienced this with young, black girls. The SDMB taught me the phrase "selection bias."
2) If it seems like a racial thing, it's possibly a socioeconomic class thing. Young people from poor backgrounds may miss a lot of school where habits like waiting your turn are inculcated.
3) It's a youth thing. When people get to a certain age, they realize that they need to follow the rules.
4) And I think the idea that there's a potential for more trouble is tied into expectations about youth, race, and socioeconomic differences.

But yeah, it's annoying as hell.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:28 PM
Charter Member
I went to Cedar Point a few weeks ago and they had many, many signs about line jumping. It never occurred to me that anyone would be a big enough asshole to do this.

I'm not sure if I would have said anything. I'm pretty nonconfrontational. But in 98 degree heat? With an hour and a half wait? Yeah, I probably would have followed them and told an operator. Cedar Point seemed pretty clear about the consequences (ejection, no refund) and they practically have an entire police department roaming around on foot.

I'm pissed off about that and it didn't even happen to me.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:33 PM
Charter Member
I just say forcefully "Excuse me, but I was here hirst." If they insist on name calling (You white bitch), I repeat "I was here first." If they still don't take the hint, I start a running dialogue "I was here first. These people think they can just be impolite and run the world. Who are they, in charge of the world. Totally rude." Of course, by that time they are screaming at me to shut up, but I just keep going on.

From my experience, gangs of young African-American females are one of the scariest things in the world. I don't know why.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM
BANNED
Saw a line jumper get properly pwned on the news a few days ago. People were waiting in line for days for the iPhone to be released. This smarmy bitch shows up a few minutes before the store opened and pays the first guy in line 800 bucks to jump ahead of him. She brought a huge wad of cash with the idea that she was going to buy $16,000 worth of iPhones and sell them on Ebay. Turns out they were only offering one to a customer. I LOLed.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:35 PM
At 6 Flags Magic Mountain a few months ago some friend and myself were in line for the raft ride. A couple of sopping wet young latina girls pushed through the line toward the front where they met up with another girl and her boyfriend. My group was probably four turns away from the front. The girl's would have been next. Suddenly a group of about 4 more young latinos started pushing through the line. People stopped letting them through. The girl with the boyfriend then yelled at the line "Let them through!" Someone further back than me said quietly (a much tougher looking older latino dude) "Why should they get to cut?" The girl (I dont know if she heard this guy) then yelled "We all want to ride together!" I then said to her matter of factly "Why don't you wait for them to get to the front?" She then glared at me for literally the next ten minutes. The kicker was the raft that her party would have gotten on, needed exactly 5 people. Everyone in front of us had a group of 2 or more than 6. So we actually got to cut in front her. She called us "bitches" as we got on the raft in front of her. I nodded and waved.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:40 PM
I was in Pittsburgh, preparing to fly home from a lovely visit with some friends who live in that city. This was Labor Day Weekend 2001, so things were crazy but nowhere near as crazy as they would become the very next week. As I rode the airport escalators down to the security level, my jaw dropped. I have never seen a security line so long. It looked like the security line in a documentary about long security lines.

My little bag in tow, I walked and walked and I thought surely the line had wrapped around completely and I was just endlessly circling the same people. But finally, there it was: The End of the Line!

It took forty-five minutes to inch back to the escalator area. Note that the escalators did not mark the end of our wait, but just the point at which the roped in twisty-line area began. Far, far in the distance we could dimly make out the conveyor belts and metal detectors. In the meantime, the fellow linemates and I became quite friendly. We joked with one another, primarily about the length of the line, and we enjoyed the dawning horror on each new victim's face as he rode the escalator down.

Then descended this nattily dressed fellow with a briefcase. He paused at the foot of the escalator, surveyed the line stretching out to the hinterlands, glanced at his shiny watch, and then stepped in front of me.

My jaw dropped. I could not speak.

Fortunately, I had backup. Behind me, Mr. USMC cleared his throat. "The end of the line is there," he told Mr. Suit in a tone that brooked no discussion.

Mr. Suit was startled at being challenged. "But I came down here," he protested lamely.

"Yes," agreed Mr. USMC, "and the end of the line is THERE."

Mr. Suit didn't give up easily. "But Pittsburgh is the Friendly City!"

"Not," said Mr. USMC, "when we've been waiting in line for forty-five minutes."

Mr. Suit slunk off, although I don't doubt that he cut someone else as soon as he was out of sight of My New Hero.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:56 PM
For one summer, I was a cashier in a supermarket.

I always made line-jumpers go to the back.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:57 PM
This is one of those things, like dealing with misbehaving children that aren't yours, which is a lot easier to do the older you get. Not only do kids, even teens, generally have some sort of instinctual deference to older people, but you just stop caring what 5 random strangers think or say about you.

Grey hair helps. I can't wait until mine grows in.

What I'd specifically do is put on my best Mama voice and say, "Absolutely not. End of the line, or I'm calling security, your choice," and hold up my cell phone. It's like working with animals - don't show any doubt that you're in the right or that you'll be obeyed. Don't ask questions. Just tell them how it's going to be. But that probably won't work while you're a young male.

I...uh...wouldn't have the balls to do it if I wasn't in a crowd, though. 'Cause she really could tear my shit up, y'know.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:01 PM
This has happened to me so many times, in so many different situations, it's hard to know what to do.

In general, though, if you chose to engage the linejumper(s), continue to engage them or get someone in authority involved. To me, it's not useful to "talk to the air" when this happens. OP, understanding the "overall" of your situation that day, I would have gotten ahold of someone in authority.

Screw "not learning how to wait their turn." I grew up black, poor and maleducated and I knew how to do that. They knew it too, they just didn't care.

In the stores of the mean streets of Brooklyn where I live, when "corner boys" just push to the front and place their order, I engage the cashier, push my money in their hand and say "Just finish this first."

Anywhere else, I speak directly to the person.

Recently, waiting in line to enter the recreation center in my neighborhood, two teenagers line-jumped. Nobody else said anything during the whole encounter.

I told them the end of the line was "back there," and "everybody else had been waiting." One said, "I don't care." I told him, "I didn't ask you to care, I asked you to move to the back of the line." He didn't, but when we got up to the checkin counter, I pushed my membership card into the attendant's hand and said loudly, "I was next." What he did in terms of the sheep behind me I don't know.
Old 07-06-2007, 06:11 PM
*holds up hand shamefacedly* My name is Morelin and I am a line-cutter.

Well, ok, it's a bit more complicated than that. I work at an airport and there is no separate employee security area. So TSA allows, encourages and enthusiastically endorses my line-cutting. They have even cut me infront of some people I was respectfully waiting behind because I was early, and could wait.

Everywhere else I wait my turn like I should. And as a cashier I do my best to keep track of who's next and simply don't see or acknowledge the line-cutter.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 PM
My personal method is to step in front of whoever is attempting to cut, and in a loud, clear, projecting voice state "Excuse me, the line starts back *there*," while pointing.

Now, I'm a large guy in all dimensions. I've never been seriously challenged after making my stand, beyond a bit of verbal face-saving. If someone were to push, though, I'd probably try to engage the rest of the crowd in public ridicule and possibly get security or management involved. I'm not looking to start a fight, after all.

Anecdote time: My wife and I were standing in line to see the latest Pirates movie recently. It wasn't opening day, but the theater still had the guide ropes up and people were waiting for almost an hour in line to get into the theater. We were near the front.

Some punks thought they'd be clever and wandered over to the entrance after hitting the concession stand. They did not get in line, but were hanging around "looking at posters" and "visiting the bathroom". It was pretty blatant what they were trying to do.

Anyway, I'd come straight from work and was still wearing my corporate clothes. I excused myself out of line, went around the center (this theater is laid out with the concessions and bathrooms in the center and the theaters on the outside), came up from behind, and in my best professional voice said, "Excuse me, folks, you'll need to wait in line if you're going to see Pirates. It starts back there."

They all tried to look innocent and one of them said, "But, uh, we're just waiting for our friend, she's in the bathroom."

Maintaining the "I work here" pose, I said, "Well, I'm afraid you'll need to wait out in the lobby. People can't be hanging out in the halls, I'm sorry."

With grumbles, they went back to the end of the line. I waited there until the theater opened, joined my wife in line, and thoroughly enjoyed the shocked look the little shits directed at me when they realized that I didn't work there.

I tell ya, with the right attitude, people will assume the damndest things about you.
Old 07-06-2007, 07:38 PM
My husband and I were in the line for security at Boston's Logan Airport when a couple cut in front of the two of us. The line was slow moving and so we'd put our bags down to wait, hanging out in the "bend" of those poles with broad elastic bands, which form the pathways to follow. The line moved a bit and in the few seconds it took for he and I to grab our bags to scoot forwards, the pair "cut the corner" and got in ahead of us. We grumbled but said nothing. I watched them and saw that they delayed in doing any pre-security stuff (jackets off, shoes off, that kind of thing) unlike everyone else, ignoring all of the instructional signs. When they got to the head of the line, they had to be told to do all of that, and then one of them apparently failed to remove all metal and set off the metal detector. Acting as the agent of karma, and presumably assuming that incompetents like this had surely screwed up in following security measures otherwise, they were pulled aside for more intense screening. I did some serious grinning after I was through security and their bags were undergoing the indepth search.
Old 07-06-2007, 08:14 PM
Just Lovely and Delicious
Charter Member
I was seeing the movie 300 on opening night. The theater was packed with a line out through the lobby and the outer lobby where you buy tickets.

Some chicks who had the air of Paris and Nicole had gotten their tix and then went to get snacks. They sauntered over to the line near where I was - finally inside the main lobby after being in the outer lobby for 15 mins - and started looking confused and then non-chalant as they nudged their way in line.

I was in the middle of rolling my eyes, thinking about how everyone in front of and behind me was a nice looking young dude who wouldn't mind sitting with these hot, "confused" chicks during the movie, when one of the guys totally surprised me by saying "no way" to the girls.

They gave him a nasty look and went to the end of the line. I was so proud of that kid for thinking with his "big head" instead of his little one
Old 07-06-2007, 08:39 PM
First of all I have to say I'm amazed at and pleased by the lack of political correctness in this threat. I'm glad that people are able to say what they want once in a while w/o the PC police yelling "Racist."

I've had the same thing happen a few times, sometimes with lighter skinnned people as the perps. I always say the best thing is to tell someone in charge but that's hard to do anywhere I've ever been.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:03 PM
I can't stand line jumpers and have no problem speaking up. I haven't gotten my butt kicked yet!

I agree with WHY NOT, put on "the voice" and most of the time the twerps will cut the crap.

Anyway, speak up, as long as there's a crowd, I bet they'll speak up too!
Old 07-07-2007, 09:00 AM
Charter Member
Ancedote that belongs in this thread. Waiting for the NYC bus back to New Jersey. Long line. I'm first. Bus pulls up. Young, Female, Hispanic woman on cell phone gets in front of me. "You have to wait. My friend is coming to catch this bus."

Me: Where is your friend?
Her: On 45th Street.

I looked at her. I was not waiting for her friend to come five blocks to catch the bus. I start pushing her to the side.

Her: He'll be here in ten minutes. The next bus doesn't come for an hour.
Me: Too freaking bad.

She starts pushing me. I go limp. She loses her balance and goes to the side. I get on the bus and the people behind me follow suit.

The bus driver was laughing so hard he had a hard time collecting the money. We left before her friend got there.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:27 AM
I carry curie darts and a blow gun shaped like a pocket pen.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:33 AM
Depends on my mood. But usually I say politely but firmly: I'm sorry, but I was here first.

Sometimes I let it slide.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plan B

I've had the same thing happen a few times, sometimes with lighter skinnned people as the perps.
I could point to Europe as an example where I was surprised to see that apparently lines are only for Americans.

"We will now seat boarding area one," apparently means, "Hey everyone! Push your way to the front regardless of your boarding area!"
Old 07-07-2007, 12:21 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZipperJJ
<snip>I was in the middle of rolling my eyes, thinking about how everyone in front of and behind me was a nice looking young dude who wouldn't mind sitting with these hot, "confused" chicks during the movie <snip>
That's part of the problem; if the people who have directly been cut in front of don't say anything, the rest of the line tends to not butt in. Young guys, I'm sorry but you have to say no to line-jumping females. There will be other, non-idiot girls to hang out with, I promise.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:58 PM
Quote:
First of all I have to say I'm amazed at and pleased by the lack of political correctness in this threat. I'm glad that people are able to say what they want once in a while w/o the PC police yelling "Racist."

I've had the same thing happen a few times, sometimes with lighter skinnned people as the perps. I always say the best thing is to tell someone in charge but that's hard to do anywhere I've ever been.
So you're saying that there's no racial basis to what people are saying, but you're glad they're comfortable saying it anyway?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
So you're saying that there's no racial basis to what people are saying, but you're glad they're comfortable saying it anyway?
I think he's trying to say that he's glad that nobody piled on the OP for mentioning the ethnicity/skin color of the line cutters, and then added his own bit of evidence of line cutting. It seems like almost everyone has a different experience with line cutting and who the perps normally are.

I rarely say anything to line cutters, but I almost always give them the dirtiest look I can muster. I'm a bit shy and non-confrontational, and most of the time IME, the line cutter is an arrogant, ditzy female who is likely to call me fat just because I called her on her bad behavior.

Last edited by nashiitashii; 07-07-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Needed to clarify that thought.
Old 07-07-2007, 01:44 PM
BANNED
Can't find a link to the video, but there was an infamous real incident in Cleveland (I think) at a pizza place (I think) where a guy calls a chick on this, she goes out and gets her boyfriend, who proceeds to literally beat the guy within an inch of his life.
Old 07-07-2007, 02:40 PM
I think line jumping is done by any demographic, but I noticed that I can only stand up to young-to-middle-aged males doing so. I am just not comfortable confronting females and elderly males, but if a young guy cuts in front of me I get uppity. I usually deal with it by tactfully saying "Excuse me, the line starts over there." If the guy gets rude and does not comply a prompt "Please move to the beginning of the line or I will be forced to physically move you there myself" usually gets the job done. I just can't say something like that to an adolescent girl -- it'd be a completely empty threat and I am not that good at bluffing.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by groman
I think line jumping is done by any demographic, but I noticed that I can only stand up to young-to-middle-aged males doing so. I am just not comfortable confronting females and elderly males, but if a young guy cuts in front of me I get uppity. I usually deal with it by tactfully saying "Excuse me, the line starts over there." If the guy gets rude and does not comply a prompt "Please move to the beginning of the line or I will be forced to physically move you there myself" usually gets the job done. I just can't say something like that to an adolescent girl -- it'd be a completely empty threat and I am not that good at bluffing.
But if they're line-jumping, why condone it by commanding them to move to the front of the line.

I know what you meant.

Last edited by descamisado; 07-07-2007 at 03:28 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-4-Fighting
But if they're line-jumping, why condone it by commanding them to move to the front of the line.
Maybe it's a line to a very very drunk dentist who's all out of Novocaine but is feeling frisky?
Old 07-07-2007, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord
I don't know what curie darts are, but this sounds cool. I would love to get my hands on some. And the pen, too!

Quote:

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but for your information, the fact that no one here "yelled" "racist" doesn't mean that the OP's inclusion of the pieces of shits' ethnicity and the whole "could this have something to do with race" question didn't inspire at least a little for at least one of us here.

Perhaps, however, those of us who took note of what could be, at best, an ancillary reference to race are just too tired/trying to get some errands done during the quickly dwindling day/whatever to deal with it right now.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:12 PM
BANNED
Or it could be a perfectly valid observation that shouldn't be shouted down just because it conflicts with what some people want the world to be like.

Just saying.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:13 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l Pluck
I don't know what curie darts are
Curare, no doubt.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li'l Pluck

Not to burst your bubble or anything, but for your information, the fact that no one here "yelled" "racist" doesn't mean that the OP's inclusion of the pieces of shits' ethnicity and the whole "could this have something to do with race" question didn't inspire at least a little for at least one of us here.
Yeah, but at least no one felt the need to ruin the thread. That's pretty cool compared to some dumb and disruptive outbursts I've seen here before. I don't care what kind of irrelevant thoughts people have as long as they don't post them. Bubble remains intact.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigi
I definitely did not say that.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:48 PM
deleted.

Last edited by descamisado; 07-07-2007 at 04:49 PM. Reason: I'm trying to be good
Old 07-07-2007, 05:29 PM
At Universal Studios in Florida a couple of young kids were in the process of climbing over the fence in orde to shortcut a waiting line. I took a step toward them and told them if they did come over the fence that they would be outside the park within 5 minutes.

They didn't come over--at least while I was there.

I've been known to step in front of line jumpers and get very, uncomfortably close to them while suggesting they find the end of the line.

I won't allow a line jumper to pass me. Period. If I have to wait, they have to wait.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:04 PM
I'm a dick. I get in the way. SERIOUSLY in the way. I've been known to lounge across stationary line gaurd at theme parks; feet on one side back on the other like a living toll turnpike. I then refuse to move at all until the jumpers leave. If they try to go under I drop my ass on them. I've never had anyone try to push me off, or go over though.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:52 PM
A 30-something couple once cut in front of my boyfriend and I in a line to catch a bus. My boyfriend, very politely, pointed out they had cut in line, and the woman absolutely flipped out. The stream of obscenities was truly amazing, culminating in "SHIT FUCK FUCK". He never raised his voice at all, and concluded by stating that they clearly needed the place in line more than we did.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny L.A.
Curare, no doubt.
No. Curie darts. Radioactive. They take longer but definitely worth the wait.

I am a "don't take no for an answer" kinda guy. There is no human way you are getting in front of me at any line. I was a total jerk to this old lady at the bank. She just walked past the line and smiled at the teller, who obviously knew her. I called on her from 5 places back on the line.

She turned and replied "the don't give coffee to just anyone in this bank".
"You can drink all the begged coffee you want while you wait in line"

She turned all colours. Nobody on the bank looked poised to do anything about her, of course. She kept muttering things.

"This is why this bank is the piece of crap it has always been" I yelled.

Then the bank got really noisy as everyone started a conversation with the next in line about how much this bank sucked.

Some suit popped out and sat her in a chair. Took her transaction papers very discreetly and disappeared. Someone else brought her coffee, but I don't think she drank it. It was my turn and I left before she did.

At least the cashier had the decency of being apologetic for the whole thing. "she comes here all the time and is a friend of Mr. Whatshisface. We have to do it"
Old 07-07-2007, 07:11 PM
It all depends.

I actually don't generally mind waiting in line, probably because I do it so little - I go to the automated machines 9 times out of 10 when possible. If someone looks really frazzled and seems to be in a hurry and the line is moving, I generally don't care. The energy it takes to get het up over that stuff and bring in a management type is usually not worth it. I figure I've extended my life for a few minutes by letting it go.

There are a number of extenuating circumstances about standing in line that allows some people to skip ahead: having a few friends go to the restroom, that kind of stuff. Sometimes people are confused about where the line starts because of the inadequate barriers. Other people think standing in line means standing as close as you can to the person in front of you (I hate this), until they're standing next to you.

What the OP is describing is out-and-out rudeness, and it's got nothing to do with SES and race. (I laughed at loud at that explanation.) Teenagers tend to be the more impulsive, authority-disregarding folks on the planet. Those girls were rude and counted on their numbers and their ability to shout down anyone who protested to allow them to do what they wanted. I've seen White and Latino kids to the same thing. They probably also counted on the intimidation factor a little as well.

What the OP described is one of the reasons I don't go to amusement parks, movie theatres, etc. so much. You have to deal with rude assed people, and as a former teacher and student affairs professional, I've have enough of that for a lifetime. The "fun" one has at those places is rarely worth the aggro if you ask me.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Now if I started yelling Hey "Rosa"! Back of the fucking bus! would that be considered racist?

Last edited by msmith537; 07-07-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Old 07-07-2007, 07:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapo
No. Curie darts. Radioactive. They take longer but definitely worth the wait.
Is that you, Putin?
Old 07-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Charter Member
I don't really go to amusement parks or movie premieres anymore, so the claims of line cutting by young black females is new to me. What I am familiar with is in merging traffic, where the culprits are usually middle class white men, or if driving on the shoulder in traffic, young working class white males.

In airports, when boarding in sections, it cuts across all lines, although it is generally with white folks, but that may be that minorities are even greater minorities on airplanes, at least in the places I travel to. There are people with the big black "4" on their tickets trying to board with the infants and strollers and wheelchair bound. At least airlines now seem to be turning these people away at the gateway now. They used to grumble and let them through anyway.
Old 07-07-2007, 08:50 PM
I have related this story before in other threads...

One time, while waiting in line at the grocery check out, I realized that I had forgotten an item. I left the cart in control of my daughter (9 yrs old), and left to get the item. There were people behind us.

I got the item, and returned (total time gone, 1 minute, 20 seconds, MAX).

As I returned, an elderly woman had pushed in front of my daughter, and turned around saying something like "Younger people should respect their elders!"...

Not missing a beat, I turned to my daughter and said.. "Let her in Maggie.. she's old and (Grim emphasis) will obviously die soon, and probably alone and unloved..."...

The cashier was nothing buit smiles... as were the rest of people in lione who had seen her violently jam her cart into line...

She (the elderly lady) did everything she could to show how infirm and burdoned by age she was as she paid, but I think that the lesson is "you can teach an old bitch new tricks..."

regards
FML
Old 07-07-2007, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmonious Discord
Georgi Markov learned the hard way not to cut in line.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:01 AM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hippy Hollow
<snip>Other people think standing in line means standing as close as you can to the person in front of you (I hate this), until they're standing next to you.<snip>
That reminds me of an incident that had me scratching my head a while ago - I was standing in line at Sears (not a long line, maybe three people), and a lady came up and stood right beside my husband and I. Not behind us, not cutting in front of us, but right beside us, like she was our friend and was waiting with us. She didn't try to go in front of us or anything, either. Just weird. The close standers bug the crap out of me, too. This is Canada here; if I can reach my arm out and touch you, you are too close to me. The line doesn't move any faster from you standing on my heels. I haven't worked up the nerve to tell people to back off like that yet, but I think I will someday.

That reminds me of a great line-jumping story from last Christmas, too. I was waiting in line at Sears again (why yes, I DO shop there a lot), and this one was a long one (they actually served us chocolates in line - that should become a new tradition for Xmas shopping). While everyone was patiently waiting, an old guy came up and tried to go straight to the cashier and pay for his package of undies. The cashier (a fairly old bird herself) told him straight off to go to the back of the line in no uncertain terms. His response was that he didn't want to wait, and her response was too bad, git. Best wait in line I've ever had.
Old 07-08-2007, 12:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherlou
if I can reach my arm out and touch you, you are too close to me. The line doesn't move any faster from you standing on my heels. I haven't worked up the nerve to tell people to back off like that yet, but I think I will someday.
I completely agree with you about the arms length thing.
On the other hand(arm?), you have the people who stand so far behind the person in front of them that they don't even appear to be in line, but will indignantly yell at you that they were next, when you get in front of them.
Closed Thread