Old 08-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Charter Member
How much does it cost to lay cables?

Having high speed, low latency internet access is pretty much a must for me these days. Cable TV is a plus.

But suppose I'm house-hunting and find a place that's ideal, except the only internet access is dial-up. But if I were to approach the local telephone or cable company, how much would it cost me to have a cable laid? Per mile, that is! If I'm spending úlots on a house, spending some úthousands more won't hurt too badly, especially if I can use it as a negotiating point to drive the price down.
Old 08-01-2007, 08:24 AM
here in the US, the cost is roughly $30,000 per mile for fiber optic cable. This is highly variable and depends on whether you attach the cable to existing poles, bury it in the ground, etc... .
Old 08-01-2007, 10:27 AM
The cost depends on a lot of variables, and usually they won't come out and lay cable at the demand of one customer. Some of the factors that will influence the cost are:
  • Does the utility have "right of way" agreements on property that must be dug up?
  • Are there already existing conduits that the cable can be run through, or will new trenches have to be dug?
  • Will the project involve digging up and repairing streets?
  • Is there any rocky or mountainous terrain involved?
  • Does the utility have the equipment and capacity to support the service you're requesting, even if the cable was there?
I'm sure there are other considerations. These are just some off the top of my head. It's impossible to tell you the cost without knowing the answer to these and a lot of other questions.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:52 AM
Charter Member
$20, same as in town.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ludovic
$20, same as in town.
Curse you, Ludovic!

I guess great minds DO think alike...
Old 08-01-2007, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBaldGuy
The cost depends on a lot of variables, and usually they won't come out and lay cable at the demand of one customer.
Really?
My father build a cabin, and decided that he didn't want overhead powerlines spoiling the view. They happily accepted his check and then buried power and phone lines for about a mile, along a series of right-of-ways.

Last year, my uncle build a cabin 1/4 mile way, and the lines were extended out to his place, no problem.

To the OP, sorry, I've got no idea what the cost was.
Old 08-01-2007, 02:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate
Really?
My father build a cabin, and decided that he didn't want overhead powerlines spoiling the view. They happily accepted his check and then buried power and phone lines for about a mile, along a series of right-of-ways.

Last year, my uncle build a cabin 1/4 mile way, and the lines were extended out to his place, no problem.

you're absolutely correct. If you're willing to foot the bill, they will build to your location. Of course this is seldom a cheap affair, and getting it scheduled in competition with all the other builds that will actually produce a revenue stream for the company is a bit of a challenge. Hell, I have problems getting the utility company to do builds for public safety infrastructure in a timely manner!
Old 11-23-2013, 10:32 PM
Hello:

Reviving this question since it's been a few years and prices may have gone down...my family has a house in the woods, and I'd like a general idea of how much it would take to lay fiber to it.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:11 AM
zombie or no

call your telephone or cable provider and ask for an estimate.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tastes of Chocolate View Post
Really?

Essential utilities, like electricity and basic phone service, are generally regulated monopolies. Basically, the government gives a company license to be a monopoly in a given service area, with the caveat that they must serve everyone in that area, no matter how inconvenient for them. So they have to happily run their cheapest lines out to wherever someone builds a house. I'm not sure whether they're allowed to charge the customer for the construction, (probably varies by locality), but they can't refuse to do it. However, overhead lines are almost always cheaper, so that's what they'll put in unless the customer pays the differential for underground service like your dad did.

However, broadband internet is not considered essential, in the US, at least, so you very well might be stuck with dial-up unless you're willing to pay not only to run the lines, but also to get whatever extra equipment they need on their end to run broadband to the boonies.

Last edited by Silophant; 11-24-2013 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Oh, this is a zombie. Oh well.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Remember that it might not only be an issue with lines running towards your home when it comes to services like DSL. The phone compost would also have to have in place the equipment needed to provide that service. They aren't going to invest in the equipment needed at the Central Office and local points of distribution gore only one customer.

A someone said above, by being granted monopoly status the utility companies must provide service to everyone. Unfortunately this means basic service, however my understanding us that taxes are being levied on land lines that are supposed to fund high speed internet access in rural areas.

Life yourself, we live in a rural area and have limited options for high speed service. We have chosen to use our cell phones wirelessly tethered to our devices. We also have a wireless hotspot which works on the same principal. Unfortunately each device only allows 2 gig per month at high speed, so about the last ten days or so of the month we are throttled to non-high speed access. This means no video unless we want to use up all our data quickly. We use TMobile and have been happy with the service. We checked into Hughes Net, but they are even more restrictive and cost quite a bit more.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:12 PM
The local cable company recently told the company I work for that the construction cost for running coax one quarter of a mile would be $139K. There are railroad tracks in the way which added substantially to the the cost.

We weren't offering to pay any of their costs out of pocket, though, and for some reason they didn't think it was worth it for a $100/month account, even with a five year contract.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by perse977 View Post
Hello:

Reviving this question since it's been a few years and prices may have gone down...my family has a house in the woods, and I'd like a general idea of how much it would take to lay fiber to it.
Probably prohibitive, reducing your choices to satellite and cellular.

Cable companies, AFAIK, are not covered by any legislation that requires them to service areas they don't want to. In my experience with Charter Communications, this means that if they don't want to connect up an area, they will quote a price in the millions per mile even if that isn't anywhere near what it actually costs. As a result, they lose a lot of business to competitors who, while not expecting to get filthy rich, are happy with a highly profitable return.
Old 11-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicat View Post
Probably prohibitive, reducing your choices to satellite and cellular.
IME seeing several customers dealing with just getting an internet provider to run lines across a street and parking lot to a business occupancy maybe 100 yards total they were looking at $10K-$15K.

For those kinds of prices it might be more practical to have multiple satellite providers and a bonding appliance.

example:
http://mushroomnetworks.com/product/truffle

This way you get plenty of speed, by sharing the load across multiple providers you should avoid many of the throttling and or "fair access policies" and will probably have more reliable internet than some medium sized business for about $2-3K in setup and about $200/month.

Compared to $135K a mile its a steal, I would do it, and I HATE satellite internet providers.

Last edited by drachillix; 11-27-2013 at 01:49 PM.

┬ź Previous Thread | Next Thread ┬╗