Old 08-11-2007, 11:12 PM
The Penny drops - origin of saying?

It is a bit of British slang I don't understand the origin of.

It (The Penny's Dropped) means "Ahh! now I get it/I understand now/what was cloudy is now clear".

Any guesses as to the origin of this saying?

Regards
FML

Last edited by Full Metal Lotus; 08-11-2007 at 11:13 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:17 PM
Charter Member
Ever put a coin in a gumball machine and it doesn't go? You jiggle the knob or whack the machine and it drops and you get your merchandise.

Edit: Or what Q.E.D. said.

Last edited by Johnny L.A.; 08-11-2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:45 PM
Ah.. Thank you all!

Ignorance once again wrestled to the ground in speedy, efficient fashion!

Thanks
FML

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.

Copyright © 2017
Best Topics: cynical songs dago tee shirt trivex lenses problems robert fripp drugs celtic instrumental music corporate america meme driving hungover 1.6 toilet bin arabic savage origin kpro computer raw hamburger appetizer vsop alcohol street craps rule navy brig miramar full reserve banking geology puns dune worm perpetual water flow gin mixer tusk lyrics meaning cd compression rugged faces stormfront forums shame sign language cut toenails straight hypnosis phobias titanium chassis sudafed drowsiness that 70s musical ninth gate explained dust my broom meaning how to make syringe needle post nasal drip and stomach problems oleophobic coating glasses worth it liquid versus powder dishwasher detergent how to remove feces stains from underwear how much is a check up at the doctor get off the schneid new glasses adjustment period astigmatism why do panties have pockets theme to all in the family how to dye beard white what weed smells like skunk steam account creation failed jewish shirts with strings what to use instead of to whom it may concern wicker caning where to buy w2 candidates only means do spiders die when you vacuum them gifts for newly naturalized citizens cranberry and champagne name cvs ear wax cleaning system well-x-trol tanks where is flaxseed in grocery store cherry fruit tree flowers mustang ranch nevada prices ace is the place with the helpful hardware lyrics sore throat only at night what is the range of a 22 rifle why are vinyls so expensive weigh more in the morning i have a problem with authority