Old 09-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Why do I sneeze when I'm hungry?

If I go too long without eating — say I'm working a long shift and haven't had a chance to take a lunch break — I start feeling normal hunger pangs ... and then I start sneezing. Complete with excessive mucous buildup in my nose/sinuses. It's almost as if I'm having an allergic reaction to hunger.

Any medical explanation for this? I'm never heard of anybody else experiencing this phenomenon.
Old 09-02-2007, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase42
If I go too long without eating — say I'm working a long shift and haven't had a chance to take a lunch break — I start feeling normal hunger pangs ... and then I start sneezing. Complete with excessive mucous buildup in my nose/sinuses. It's almost as if I'm having an allergic reaction to hunger.

Any medical explanation for this? I'm never heard of anybody else experiencing this phenomenon.
It happens to me a bit. I asked my (doctor) aunt about it, and she told me that the process involved in wretching or vomiting is similar to sneezing in some way that I couldn't quite fathom. Since hunger pangs can cause nausea, maybe that's the connection.

And now I will promise to stop answering medical questions when I really don't know what I am talking about
Old 09-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulParkhead
It happens to me a bit. I asked my (doctor) aunt about it, and she told me that the process involved in wretching or vomiting is similar to sneezing in some way that I couldn't quite fathom. Since hunger pangs can cause nausea, maybe that's the connection.
Now that you mention it, the sneezing is frequently preceded by mild nausea ...
Old 09-02-2007, 07:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phase42
Now that you mention it, the sneezing is frequently preceded by mild nausea ...
Same in my case. I'd be interested to hear the views of medical Dopers.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:12 PM
I sneeze when I have sudden sexual thoughts. I always assumed it was to do with erectile tissue, but never saw anything to back up the theory.
Old 09-02-2007, 07:45 PM
I also have sneezing and a runny nose, but only when I've had just enough to eat. That began only after I had had a gastric by-pass. Curious.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:18 PM
Another odd thing is that this only started a couple years ago. I wonder if it's connected somehow to eating on an irregular schedule. I lived in a homeless shelter for eight years, where meals were served three times a day, always at the same times. I held down full-time employment for most of the time I lived there (I was trying to get out of debt, which was made easier by not having to choose between paying on the debt and paying rent/buying groceries), so meal times were irregular when I was working, but since I worked as a cook it was a simple matter to nibble on something as soon as I felt the first hints of hunger.

I don't cook for a living now, though, so eating at work is mostly limited to break times, which can sometimes be far enough apart that my stomach starts to complain.