Old 10-15-2007, 08:17 PM
Tell Me About Your First Cigarette

This is for anyone who has ever tried a cigarette, whether or not you continue(d) to smoke.

Why did you first light up a cigarette? How old were you? What do you remember about the experience? Do you still smoke? If so, how frequently? What part of the world do you live in -- is it common or uncommon for others like you (gender, social class, etc) to smoke where you live?
Old 10-15-2007, 08:29 PM
BANNED
I took hits off cigarettes a couple of times when I was a little kid -- once when I was like 8 another time when I was 10 or 11. Both times was out of curiosity. Neither time did I inhale. I first tried seriously when I was 16, at a party, to look cool. At that time I was hanging around with mostly older people who smoked and my occasional bumming from them (which was basically just about novelty, rebellion and coolness) soon turned into a genuine habit. I started buying my own packs and I smoked a pack a day for about 12 years. All I remember about the first few times trying to smoke was trying to inhale and coughing my ass off. It was more about the look to me than any real satisfaction from the tobacco. Then it soon became about the addiction, pure and simple.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:00 PM
Charter Member
Cigarettes are a weird thing. Most non-smokers don't realize that it takes some serious effort to get started on them. Young lungs simply don't like smoke being hurled at them and inhaling (real smoking) is a learned skill. I got my first exposure to tobacco through Skoal. A friend shared it with me before a camping trip and I hung in there as long as I could before I keeled over and couldn't stand up for an hour or two. I felt like absolute shit for a few hours but I tried it again a few days later being the typical idiot that most humans are.

Actual cigarettes came at age 15. I got a job in a grocery store and EVERYBODY there smoked on breaks or just by going into the back room or the bathrooms. Back in the day (1989), there was no minimum age to buy cigarettes in Louisiana so I tried them with my coworkers on breaks. They tried to show me the techniques but I couldn't really inhale for a couple of weeks and I was determined to master it. Unfortunately, that is the catch. By the time you master smoking properly you are almost certainly addicted or close to it. I smoked a pack of Marlboro Reds a day from age 15 - 18 and then quit in college which was very difficult by any measure.

Last edited by Shagnasty; 10-15-2007 at 09:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 09:55 PM
Shouting Grasshopper
I was nine or ten I guess--I sneaked one of my dad's Pall Malls. One puff was all I needed...I've never smoked tobacco since.

Last edited by blondebear; 10-15-2007 at 09:56 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:23 PM
I have vague memories of trying one of my friend's brothers cigarettes when he was about 16-17, which would put me about 10 or 11 at the time. But the first clear memory I have of smoking a cigarette was after an argument with my flatmate/friend with benefits at the time (who I later married, so we got over the argument).

Having decided to not renew our lease and go our separate ways, we sat outside and I had a cigarette. Since then I've probably smoked a total of fewer than 10 packs of cigarettes, and that's coming up on 8 years ago now.

I'm in Australia (Sydney to be more exact), and while I read statistics that say 1/4 of people my age smoke, I have not seen much evidence to that. Out of our main group of 4 people, one smoked for years, quit, went back to it, and recently quit again. My wife and I smoke irregularly, and the other one just decided to take it up about 6 months ago. She still bumpuffs though.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
Charter Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagnasty
Cigarettes are a weird thing. Most non-smokers don't realize that it takes some serious effort to get started on them.
Not me -- I've never smoked tobacco, but I've tried smoking marijuana once. That was pretty rough on my unused-to-tobacco throat! (And I never ever tried tobacco, because no-one ever told me that there was anything good about it, while at least some of my friends got a pleasant high from marijuana.)
Old 10-15-2007, 10:26 PM
My favorite cousin gave me my first puff. She was babysitting me and my brother. I must have been 8 or 9. I got sick from it and she fed me a jelly sandwich.

I didn't try again until I was about 14. My experience is similar to Dio's -- I thought it looked cool. This was 1959 or thereabouts, and all the cool, rebellious kids smoked.

Yeah, it does take awhile to get comfortable with it. Not just inhaling without coughing, but learning how to hold the cigarette, how to carry them (pocket or purse, case or plain) how to light it (especially in the wind - cupping the cig in your hands), how to not get the end all wet and slobbery, how to get the stink off so your parents won't know. It ain't easy.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:30 PM
I did not mean to above to suggest that there are MORE smokers than statistics relay. My eyes tell me the number is actually far fewer than 1 in 4 people being smokers. The group discussion was merely my immediate social circle. In my 'other' social circle, I am the only one that smokes at all... so it swings both ways.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:34 PM
I can't remember. It was definitely at some point in high school, but can't pinpoint it. It wasn't until college that I started buying packs of cigarettes (Camels.) I also hand rolled my own cigarettes, and also smoked cloves. (And also smoked a lot of weed, too.) This went on for about 3 years. I was never a heavy smoker and one pack of cigarettes would last me for a month - and that includes cigarettes given away to other people. I never thought of myself as having a habit, and I basically smoked on an as-wanted basis. If I felt like having a cigarette (usually when drunk or high, or while stuck in traffic or while waiting for something,) I had one. I never craved them at random times, and there would be months where I'd go without smoking any cigarettes at all.

Now, I don't smoke anything anymore. OK, I will smoke a briar pipe now and then, very rarely.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Charter Member
I was about 12 or so. My mother (who at that stage still smoked) gave me one so that I'd realise how disgusting cigarettes were. A couple of puffs were enough. I haven't ever smoked another one.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:39 PM
I can't really remember my actual first one. I think it was in high school; we were at a karaoke place, and one of the girls offered me one. I really didn't take a proper drag - I had no idea how to do it properly.

The cigarette that led to my becoming an irregular smoker was in Paris (I was 21); I met a Korean girl there and hung out with her a bit, and she was a chain smoker. I tried one and she taught me to inhale and how to hold it and stuff. It was interesting, but I wasn't particularly keen on making a habit out of it until my best friend got back from her exchange program in the US. She'd become a drinker-smoker and because it was usually the two of us I started smoking occasionally to keep her company. Now I smoke more than she does.
Old 10-15-2007, 10:42 PM
Dad was sleeping, and his pack of KOOLS were in his shirt pocket, his shirt hanging on the bedroom doorknob. I was nine. Snatched one of his squares, lit it on the kitchen stove. I swallowed the smoke because I wasn't sure how to inhale. After that, I smoked whenever I could bum from an older friend or purloin a pack from the grocery store (I would've paid the 26 cents, but they wouldn't sell them to me). I learned how to inhale. By age 13, I was smoking close to a pack a day. My parents were unable to stop me 'cause I was stupid AND stubborn (but clever), so they tried controlling the amount I smoked. Yeah. I had the pack from which they counted, AND the pack they didn't know about. I'm 51 now, and excepting the one year I successfully "quit", have smoked ever since.

I now have chronic bronchitis and emphysema, which adds up to Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. While I'm anxious to "quit" again, I fully expect Lung Cancer to be the cause of my earthly demise. I've justified it all by reminding myself that "you don't get something for nothing", and to a great extent, I've enjoyed smoking. We'll see what I think when I take my final breath...

Last edited by notthatagain; 10-15-2007 at 10:44 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 PM
Charter Member
I was around cigarette smoke before I was born - but essentially, from the day I was born. I think that has something to do with how "easy" it was for me to start.

I smoked my first cigarette when I was somewhere around 13 - for me, at that point in time, it was like coming home. I enjoyed the sensation of drawing smoke into my lungs.

This was around 1987 - I was in private school, and smoking was the cool, rebellious thing to do. I think I was hooked from the first one I smoked.

I do not smoke any longer. I quit 7 months ago using Chantix to help me. Sometimes I miss smoking, however physically I'm ok with not having one - it's like my receptors finally got switched off.

I work at a university, which has it's share of smoking students. There's actually a fair number of people around this city that do smoke - but I think there are fewer than in the last place I lived. Smoking is pretty restricted in public places here, so maybe that means I notice those who are outdoors more.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 AM
My parents smoked. A lot.

I remember being about 12 and intentionally sitting near whoever was smoking and inhaling the smoke while the cigarette was resting, lit, in the ashtray. It gave me a kind of neat feeling if I did it long enough. Sick, but kind of a nice feeling sort of sick.

I started smoking regularly about age 14 because I was hanging out with a boy I had a crush on one afternoon and he offered me one. I was so used to secondhand smoke by then that I had no problems actually smoking it. He gave me a cigarette every few days; within a month or so, I was just smoking, openly, my parent's cigarettes. Mom was mortified, but didn't bother trying to make me stop. I started buying my own when I got my first job.

My siblings all smoked by age 15 or so too. Only two (out of 8) have quit permanently, although I quit for about three years. I just tossed a pack into the garbage one day, not feeling like smoking. I didn't struggle at all with not smoking, but I picked it back up a few years later for no good reason - I just felt like a cigarette. Kept it up 10 more years, at least a pack a day.

Now I smoke occasionally. I tapered off over a few months; now I'll smoke two or three cigarettes a month, usually with a drink or after a crappy day at work. I have no idea why I do this, as I really loathe the smell now, but I still like smoking.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:34 AM
My dad was always a smoker. He once told me he quit chewing tobacco because it was getting in the way of his cigarette addiction. THe smell of Camels is a very, very powerful one for me, and even now, I find the smell to be very soothing. He quit around the time my little sister was born (I was 6) and didn't start again until around 9 or 10 years later, at which time he switched to cigars. His parents smoked. My mom smoked, though she stopped when she got pregnant with me, and only smoked "socially" (and weed) after that. I've dreamt about smoking from a very young age, since way before I had my first cigarette.

With all of that influence and cigarettes available, I waited until I was about 17 to try my first one (a Marlboro red).

And it was like I had been waiting for it all my life. I got an immediate buzz, and thought it was the best thing ever. I didn't have to teach myself to enjoy it. I enjoyed it on the first inhale.

Despite my immediate attraction to it, I threw away the rest of the pack. Now I smoke 1 or 2 cigarettes a day, and have kept up that level for about....4 years. I know I should quit, but I still get a buzz from my daily cigarette. Sometimes I'm forced to go without for whatever reason, and I can without any withdrawals or problems. But I still like that buzz.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:52 AM
I was three.

My mother told me she looked over the edge of the porch and there was my brother and I sitting on the grass. My brother swiped some smokes from my mom and was attempting to light up and of course he could not leave out his baby sister.

My parents forced him to smoke five or six unfiltered Camels with no response. My dad stated he was not a real man unless he smoked cigars. That turned him green and induced vomiting.

He still became a smoker several years later.

I did not smoke again until twelve or thirteen, coughed my brains out and left it alone.

I officially started smoking at fifteen and I still smoke.
Old 10-16-2007, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeUserName
I was three.

My parents forced him to smoke five or six unfiltered Camels with no response. My dad stated he was not a real man unless he smoked cigars. That turned him green and induced vomiting.

He still became a smoker several years later.
Wow. Couldn't that kill a kid or something? Do you have to build up your tolerance? (Serious question. Can you OD on tobacco?)
Old 10-16-2007, 08:45 AM
I have never actually tried smoking a cigarette. I grew up with my dad smoking, and hated the smell all my life. My sister was the one who first forced him to go onto the balcony or into the garage (in the winter) to smoke, because she hated it even more than I did. That was when I was about 13 or so. He quit a few years back, when I was maybe 21. My parents always said, though, that if we wanted to smoke we could just bum one off my dad, and he'd show us how to do it without getting sick. None of us 3 kids smoke at all, maybe because it wasn't forbidden.

I have smoked pot, because it was the cool thing to do amongst my friends, but even that didn't last long, because I was the one with a car and license, and people wanted me sober to drive them home hehehe. I actually didn't have much pressure to smoke (cigs or anything else). People were pretty respectful of my choice not to, and when I stopped smoking pot, that wasn't a problem for anyone either.

Just as a bit of an aside; my cousin and I were talking about the smoking culture in Montreal, and about how since the laws changed and there isn't any indoor smoking anymore (and that was only, what, 2 years ago?), we have seen a huge difference in the number of smokers we see (we are both in our mid 20s).

In a lab department with 35 people where I used to work, there was only one smoker (and she had started up again after a really bad breakup after quitting for 1 year) I don't think the numbers dropped all that much, but I think people maybe go out less often for a smoke, so the ones we do see, somehow look more alone and.... well, my cousin used the word pathetic.... and it's a little true. Since that conversation I've looked at the expressions of people walking by the packs of office smokers, and they seem to look at the smokers with sad eyes.

I am curious to see what the answers will be to a thread like this in the next generation!
Old 10-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee
Wow. Couldn't that kill a kid or something? Do you have to build up your tolerance? (Serious question. Can you OD on tobacco?)
I do not agree with what my parents did but I don't think he was actually "smoking" the cigerettes. He was only six at the time so I am sure he was getting some smoke but I doubt he was actually inhaling much.

I assume the smell of the cigar plus what smoke he did inhale from it made him sick.

I have no idea if you can OD on nicotine or tar.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:05 AM
Charter Member
I was about thirteen and hanging out with my younger and much cooler stepsister. We had swiped a couple of cigs from my mom and were standing around puffing on them where some boys might see us. Then she said, "You know, you're not really smoking that. You're just holding the smoke in your mouth and letting it out again. I'll show you how to inhale. Take a puff…okay, now do this." She gasped. I gasped. Then I coughed until I almost died, and when I was done, my throat was so raw the smoke didn't seem to bother it anymore. Then I looked cool.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 AM
Quote:

Wikipedia says:
Quote:
The LD50 of nicotine is 50 mg/kg for rats and 3 mg/kg for mice. 40–60 mg (0.5-1.0 mg/kg) can be a lethal dosage for adult humans.[7] [8] This makes it an extremely deadly poison. It is more toxic than many other alkaloids such as cocaine, which has an LD50|LD50 of 95.1 mg/kg when administered to mice.
from erowid.org :
Quote:
Smoked Nicotine Dosages
Threshold 0.2 - 0.3 mg
Light 0.3 - 0.8 mg
Common 0.6 - 1.5 mg
Strong 1 - 2 mg
Heavy 2 - 4 mg
the cigs would have fallen somewhere in the common - strong area and the cigar in the heavy
Old 10-16-2007, 10:02 AM
Interesting; thanks.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I was 13 and was fooling around with some friends. The cigarette tasted like burnt rubber and I almost hurled. I didn't understand why anyone actually liked doing it.

Five years later I got over that memory and started smoking at parties, quickly becoming addicted.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:24 AM
I smoked my first cigarette when I was 11. My brother's friend swiped a pack from one of our teachers. The three of us snuck off to a field and smoked. I really don't know if I inhaled at all or not. I'd say I really started smoking regularly when I was 14. By the time I was 16 and had my own car, I was probably getting close to a pack a day.

In my early 20's I decided to try to quit. I've made several attempts, but nothing seemed to work. Finally, after 14 yrs of smoking, I read a book that was recommended here on the Dope (the Easy Way to Quit Smoking - Alan Carr) and I haven't had a cigarette or the desire for a cigarette since.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:02 AM
Why did you first light up a cigarette?
I don't remember.

How old were you?
I don't remember. Young, though. Maybe early teens?

What do you remember about the experience?
Obviously nothing.

Do you still smoke?
You betcha.

If so, how frequently?
Every day. Pack, pack and a half - more on the weekend.

What part of the world do you live in -- is it common or uncommon for others like you (gender, social class, etc) to smoke where you live?
Northwest suburbs of Chicago. (Female, I don't have a social class I don't think). It's becoming more and more - er what's the word - not taboo - just not acceptable I guess - as the county has gone smoke free and soon the state will be. The only inside place I'm allowed to smoke is my house and car. Otherwise I have to go outside. I've spent a lot of time in an outdoor beer garden this summer.
Old 10-16-2007, 11:47 AM
First cigarette was when I was 17. I was working at a Wendy's with a lot of smokers and seemed like the thing to do. The first puff got me coughing but after that I had no problems. Starting buying my own shortly after that and now 15 years later I am about a half a pack a day smoker.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:24 PM
I think I was 12. My sister explained to me how lame and loserish it was not to smoke. She offered to buy me a pack (with my money, of course), and I accepted. I smoked on and off over the course of a year or so, then gave it up. When I was 14, I met my best friend Brad, who again explained how uncool it was not to smoke.

Since then, I have quit once, and it lasted a mere two weeks.

But yesterday Allen Carr's book arrived in the mail. I'll finish it by Christmas. That's a promise.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:40 PM
I think I was six years old if I remember correctly. My father was siting on the porch with his rolling tobacco. Curious as I was, I nagged him that I wanted to make one too, and in the end he gave in. When he lit it up, I nagged him that I wanted to smoke too, and in the end he gave in (with a coy smile), and told me to inhale really really good, because that whats real smokers do... I quickly turned green and ran around the corner puking my guts out.

Apropos, no, I have not started smoking since.

Actually very few of my friends smoke either. Theres a lot people smoking here in Scandinavia, though, so I am not to be taken as a good example.

I do use "snus" (moist tobacco that you roll into a small ball and put under your upper lip) though once in a while, mostly when on fieldwork. Using "snus" started in the army, as I remember at least 80% of my platoon ended up using it.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:15 PM
My friends had all smoked since they were about 11 or so, but I always resisted and had no urge to whatsoever. I'd still hang out with them while they smoked, and I kind of liked the smell, but I was ambivalent about it. Then one day when I was 15 or 16, my friend Justin gave me a cigarette and asked me if I would give it to another friend of ours the next time I saw him, since he owed him one. That night, I was walking around our small town, mooning over this boy I'd been in love with for months (long story - it ended badly). I realized I still had the smoke in my pocket, and decided that I really felt like doing something bad for me, something harmful to myself but not too much so. So I smoked it, all my myself, just wandering. It wasn't terrible, it wasn't great. It just was.

After that, I started bumming a smoke here and there from my friends just to watch their expressions - they were shocked that I had finally started smoking! When I started engaging in illegal substances over the next couple years, I started smoking more, but still never bought my own till years later.

My husband and I just quit in May and are doing pretty well with it. I hope we stay quit this time.
Old 10-16-2007, 01:40 PM
I was about 12 and ran out of pot.

Well, I had to smoke something!

Okay, I think I had my first cigarette about 12 and by the time I was 13 I was buying them.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:28 PM
Quote:
According to TV crime dramas, yes. Folks who are wearing a patch or five and also smoking keel over with nicotine poisoning.

As for the OP, I'll have to let you know. I'm thinking of smoking or dipping to replace food. (not really, I hope) No smoking so far.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:20 PM
I'm not a smoker but I had a major role in a play that required me to smoke. The character was a chain smoker and basically lit one cigarette with another one. We didn't have the cool props or anything that would let me fake smoking, so I learned to smoke.

At our first full rehearsal, I smoked three cigarettes in a row and had to go throw up. While I enjoyed that role, I was very glad when the run was over.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:20 PM
BANNED
First cigarette was at a party when I was 17. Tasted like shit. The hardest part was trying to look cool as if I'd smoked before, while turning beet-red and coughing at every attempted puff.

Started smoking because of a friend who chain-smoked. I told him, I'd smoke one cigarette for every cigarette he smoked, and if he cared about my lungs, he would quit. (Naturally, he didn't care too much for my lungs...)

Shortly thereafter, I managed to quit for six weeks, but started up again after another friend was nearly killed in a car accident on Pacific Coast Highway. Later, my girlfriend said she'd break up with me if I didn't quit smoking. I chose to keep smoking.

God, I make such stupid decisions sometimes.
Old 10-16-2007, 05:29 PM
I was in 7th grade, and a smoker friend and I were walking to color guard practice. We stopped at a gas station and I smoked my first and only cigarette in the bathroom there. Did it make me sick, you ask? No. On the contrary. I was so good at smoking that cigarette* that I thought this can't be good- it would be tooooo easy, so I never did it again.

*got a lifetime of experience as a secondhand smoker in my house where both my parents smoked. My mom smoked when she was pregnant with me, too. There's a great picture of me as a 2 week old: my mom has me cradled in her lap with a lit cigarette in the ashtray on the table next to us.

Last edited by xanthous; 10-16-2007 at 05:29 PM. Reason: fixed spelling
Old 10-16-2007, 05:38 PM
Wow - I started late. My first cigarette was at age 24 - a clove cigarette from a friend at a bar. I think the attraction was based on how whenever the shit hits the fan, all the smokers go "I gotta have a smoke!" I thought it must be nice to have something to calm you down in those times, side-effects be damned. What a ripoff.

One thing smoking did teach me, though, is that a random 5 minute break from whatever you're doing out on the back porch just hanging out w/ the dog looking at the stars is time well spent. That applies with or without the actual cancer-stick.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:59 PM
I smoked (and enjoyed) pot before I smoked cigarettes. I can't remember my FIRST cig, but I remember the time when I tried to smoke. I just couldn't get past the horrible stomach pain induced by tobacco. I tried really hard, too! I stole some Skoal Bandits from the place I worked at, and tried those instead. They made me feel good, until I barfed breakfast all over my bed. No stomach upset with the smokeless tobacco, just barf.

Never had a problem with pot. In fact, my wife and two of our best friends all have been (at some time in the past) heavy pot smokers, but non-tobacco-users.

Joe
Old 10-17-2007, 05:53 AM
My parents sat me and my three siblings down when I was about 10/11 and gave us a cigarette to smoke - three of us ran to the bathroom chocking and gagging, and my brother smoked more than half of it saying "It's not that bad".

I've never smoked since, apart from a couple of puffs on a cigar after my daughter was born, and one cigarillo once at a party. As far as I'm aware, none of my siblings smoke either - so my parent's tactics seem to have worked!!

Grim
Old 10-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Way Too Happy
Dad was sleeping, and his pack of KOOLS were in his shirt pocket, his shirt hanging on the bedroom doorknob. I was nine. Snatched one of his squares, lit it on the kitchen stove. I swallowed the smoke because I wasn't sure how to inhale. After that, I smoked whenever I could bum from an older friend or purloin a pack from the grocery store (I would've paid the 26 cents, but they wouldn't sell them to me). I learned how to inhale. By age 13, I was smoking close to a pack a day. My parents were unable to stop me 'cause I was stupid AND stubborn (but clever), so they tried controlling the amount I smoked. Yeah. I had the pack from which they counted, AND the pack they didn't know about.
Holy crap. We are the same person. My dad smoked Newport, my mom smoked Kools. I smoked both, eventually settling on Newport at the age of 15. I quit cold turkey at 18. Up until that time, I smoked like a pack a day. Yeah..that was me, outside of the school in the 4th grade, sneaking that one last drag before running in for class.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:06 PM
First was when I was fourteen, in the unused shower room in the girl's locker room after gym class. One of the 'cool' girls (a junior, taking freshman gym for the third time...) who I didn't get on with unexpectedly offered me a smoke, so of course I accepted. It kind of burned but was overall...eh. I would've had to hide it from my parents and my martial arts instructors would have killed me if I got caught smoking, so it never took.

Aside from a brief infatuation with shisha, my smoking today is limited to occasionally bumming a cigarette when I've been drinking, which I inevitably result when I can't breathe comfortably for hours.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:10 PM
I'd taken drags off cigarettes when I was a kid but my 20s was when I started actually smoking whole cigarettes and buying packs. My boyfriend at the time was a smoker and so was pretty much everyone I worked with and everyone in my family (except my siblings, who I never saw). I picked one up one night when we were talking and smoked it down, and just like the ones I'd taken drags from many years before I smoked it/exhaled it perfectly, no coughing. If I were as much a total natural with athletics as I was with smoking I'd be on posters and endorsement deals and high profile sex and steroid scandals all over the nation.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShibbOleth
To try it out.

Quote:
How old were you?
Around 17 i believe.

Quote:
It sucked, i coughed till i cried and almost vomited. I did not start enjoying it until a few years later when i started drinking.
Quote:
Do you still smoke? If so, how frequently?
Nope i quit about 5 years ago, i may have smoked or took a drag here and there about hmm five times in those five years but the experience was always closer to my first time than to when i enjoyed it.

Quote:
What part of the world do you live in -- is it common or uncommon for others like you (gender, social class, etc) to smoke where you live?
Orlando, FL. No more common than anywhere else i guess, when i hang out with friends its usually at bars and its at least a 50/50 split.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:47 PM
I had literally just started High School. It was the 2nd or third week as I remember it & a kid I just met had cigarettes & offered me one. I wanted to look cool with him and his 2-3 friends - but not "cool" like Bogey or Jimi Hendrix were cool -- more cool like you are joining the Aryan Brotherhood in Prison -- I wanted to be part of this pack of kids

Not trying to cough. Worrying my Mom would find out. Feeling kind of grown up like a real High School kid

How old were you?
14 years 1 month

Do you still smoke?
No.

I'll steal Missy2U's basic answer tho I am male & in Maryland DC suburbs which already are smoke free.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U

Northwest suburbs of Chicago. (Female, I don't have a social class I don't think). It's becoming more and more - er what's the word - not taboo - just not acceptable I guess - as the county has gone smoke free and soon the state will be.

Last edited by jimmmy; 10-17-2007 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:22 PM
long story actaly well i was bored and anoyed with a member of my family (who smokes ) so i stole a cigarette from them by putting it in my poket . i got home took of my cardigain and put bothe the cardigan and cigarette in the washing machine and about an hour later my mum set the washing macine off . about a month or so later i put the cardagain back on and felt some thing in my poket and to a mirical the cig was still whole so i found a lighter and lit up ... and well had to hide my self in the garden when it was thick of snow so whilst my mum, gran and grandad were sat in the living roomn i was out side freezing my tits of smoking

beeing freezing and prayin that no one came to find me

How old were you?

ide just turned 14 on the day ( yes snow in august typical brittish weather

Do you still smoke?
yes infact im smoking now

Leeds uk and yes it smoking is verry common
Old 02-21-2013, 07:56 PM
Age 16. I tried my darnedest to like them. I doubt I ever got through a carton before giving up. They made me deathly ill. Seriously, migraine-headache-for-a-day ill.

Oddly, I like the occasional cigar but those aren't inhaled and I smoke them outdoors to avoid inhaling any of the smoke.

Last edited by Magiver; 02-21-2013 at 07:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:06 PM
I remember my first cigarette, but not precisely my age at the time. Somewhere around 5th grade. I remember it because I was corrected by my friend, for biting on the cigarette. I didn't know how people kept them in their mouths without biting down on them.
I have just quit smoking again, 2 weeks ago.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:11 PM
I never, ever check the threads original date before responding. Hope the OP still cares about my reply.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:14 PM
Kelz welcome to the dope, this thread is what we call a zombie because it is 6 years old, Leeds eh? I have mates in Bristol and London but live in Texas.

I had my first cig when I was 14 or so backyard of some of my step brothers friends while visiting my dad

I started really smoking when I was 16 after I moved in with my dad

I still smoke 27 or so years later, sometimes 2 packs a day

42 male live in Houston,TX and tons of my friends smoke although I never smoke in my house anymore

Capt
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobot View Post
I never, ever check the threads original date before responding. Hope the OP still cares about my reply.
There should be a script that marks a thread differently so we know they're zombies.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:47 PM
zombie or no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magiver View Post
There should be a script that marks a thread differently so we know they're zombies.
you can tell this is old because the smoke has dissipated.
Old 02-22-2013, 06:33 AM
When they hit a buck (a pack,) I'll quit.